Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DPD Parcel Wizard - DPD Pickup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Looks like old BA favourite deliverme.ie is well and truly screwed now! :D

'The cost is €22.00 for 1 item up to 25KG in weight.'

:eek:

Just entered my Parcel Wizard address as my delivery address there now. I'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

For 3 free goes I'll certainly give it a try.

EDIT Right I've something on the way. Time to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

As a long-time PM user, I'm fine with understanding the UK virtual address side of this :)

But I wonder about the other bit of the PW service, where you can schedule "normal" deliveries to your home that are being fulfilled by DPD?

"When making an online purchase, when you're entering your delivery address, include your Parcel Wizard ID in the first line of the address. This will identify you as a Parcel Wizard club member as your parcel moves through the DPD delivery system. Also make sure that you've entered the mobile number and email address that you registered with on Parcel Wizard. We'll use any one of these pieces of information to identify you."

Are they seriously suggesting I put a PW code into my address for every online purchase I make for home delivery, just in case DPD are the couriers? That'll look mighty odd, and hinder other couriers with working out what my address actually is... but that's what they seem to have done in the example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

bk wrote: »
    And the competition starts!

Just got an email at my company address of a special offer from Parcel Motel. 1 free stay and a reduced rate of €3.50 per stay until 31st December, 2015 for people who work at my company.

Funny how just a few months ago they assured me that they couldn't possibly charge less, that they absolutely had to increase prices to €3.90! Isn't competition great :)

It's always been €3.50 if you top up by €35 in one go I think? That's what I always do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Parcel Wizard always used to be a service that was only available on parcels that were fulfilled by DPD as of a few weeks ago.

By that I mean it was only available for parcels which were being shipped by e-tailers who use DPD for delivery, they wouldn't accept parcels from other couriers then forward them to you.

The site seems to suggest this still is the case:
    "If your on-line shopping is being delivered by DPD, Parcel Wizard can help you to schedule your deliveries to suit. You can set up your account information, add delivery addresses, update your calendar and track your orders."

Before it was simply set-up that you couldn't send parcels to their address via other carriers and DPD would forward to you. They only offered the service for actual parcels that they were already delivering.

nephster wrote: »
    As a long-time PM user, I'm fine with understanding the UK virtual address side of this :)

But I wonder about the other bit of the PW service, where you can schedule "normal" deliveries to your home that are being fulfilled by DPD?

"When making an online purchase, when you're entering your delivery address, include your Parcel Wizard ID in the first line of the address. This will identify you as a Parcel Wizard club member as your parcel moves through the DPD delivery system. Also make sure that you've entered the mobile number and email address that you registered with on Parcel Wizard. We'll use any one of these pieces of information to identify you."

Are they seriously suggesting I put a PW code into my address for every online purchase I make for home delivery, just in case DPD are the couriers? That'll look mighty odd, and hinder other couriers with working out what my address actually is... but that's what they seem to have done in the example.

See my post.

Parcel Wizard used to be a service that was only offered for parcels that were fulfilled through DPD themselves, as of a few weeks ago they did not allow parcels which were fulfilled by other couriers to use the service.

The site still seems to suggest that is the case, so before anyone gets excited I'd start checking that it's not the case before some parcels end up with DPD that you don't get.

As a long-time PM user, I'm fine with understanding the UK virtual address side of this smile.png

devnull wrote: »
    Parcel Wizard always used to be a service that was only available on parcels that were fulfilled by DPD as of a few weeks ago.

By that I mean it was only available for parcels which were being shipped by e-tailers who use DPD for delivery, they wouldn't accept parcels from other couriers then forward them to you.

The site seems to suggest this still is the case:
    "If your on-line shopping is being delivered by DPD, Parcel Wizard can help you to schedule your deliveries to suit. You can set up your account information, add delivery addresses, update your calendar and track your orders."

Before it was simply set-up that you couldn't send parcels to their address via other carriers and DPD would forward to you. They only offered the service for actual parcels that they were already delivering.

I'd imagine those two posts explain themselves. If you are getting a DPD delivery from Ireland and put your Parcel Wizard ID on your address they will deliver it to suit your Parcel Wizard calendar and it will appear in your Parcel Wizard page. I think...

I'd imagine those two posts explain themselves. If you are getting a DPD delivery from Ireland and put your Parcel Wizard ID on your address they will deliver it to suit your Parcel Wizard calendar and it will appear in your Parcel Wizard page. I think...

And tell me, if DPD are not the courier, how is it going to work?

There is not even an Irish address to send parcels to, simply because of the fact that they only offer delivery services for e-tailers who use DPD to deliver unless they ship to the UK.

Or do you really think if you address something to

Mr A
    PW ID
    Your Road
    Your Town
    Your County

It's going to end up in Parcel Wizard even if it's fulfilled by DHL, FedEx or any other company and the courier is just going to instantly say, hey, I know it has his home address on it, but we're just going to drop it into DPD since it has a PW ID on it even though it means dropping the parcel at an address completely different to what is on the actual package?

From everything I read, delivers to the UK address can be from any courier, but any deliveries to Ireland can only be processed if they are fulfilled by DPD themselves, so say for instance you buy from an Irish online retailer, you cannot use PW unless the company who you are ordering from, uses DPD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ordered from ratuken today so we'll see if it works.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    And tell me, if DPD are not the courier, how is it going to work?

There is not even an Irish address to send parcels to, simply because of the fact that they only offer delivery services for e-tailers who use DPD to deliver unless they ship to the UK.

Or do you really think if you address something to

Mr A
    PW ID
    Your Road
    Your Town
    Your County

It's going to end up in Parcel Wizard even if it's fulfilled by DHL, FedEx or any other company and the courier is just going to instantly say, hey, I know it has his home address on it, but we're just going to drop it into DPD since it has a PW ID on it even though it means dropping the parcel at an address completely different to what is on the actual package?

No. Why would you even think that? The package will arrive to your door either way. If DPD are delivering and recognise your Parcel Wizard ID from the package they will input it to your ParcelWizard page and take into account your calendar and work it to suit you.

That's the way I see it anyway. For what it's worth I don't think many will be too bothered with that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Yes, that's what I would imagine, although not just for deliveries from Ireland; and that's fine where you know for sure that DPD are the courier.

But the website gives the impression you should put that PW code in all the time, on the off chance it's DPD doing the delivery. In many cases you've no idea who the courier is until after the item ships. That's the bit I'm trying to make sure I'm getting correct; you're scarcely going to put all your availability into DPD's calendar just on the off chance, but again that's the impression I got from the website.

But the website gives the impression you should put that PW code in all the time, on the off chance it's DPD doing the delivery. In many cases you've no idea who the courier is until after the item ships. That's the bit I'm trying to make sure I'm getting correct; you're scarcely going to put all your availability into DPD's calendar just on the off chance, but again that's the impression I got from the website.

They mention identifying you from your email address or mobile phone number on the package too.

Unless someone is making good use of the Parcel Wizard Calendar, I don't think most will be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ordered phone off amazon and avoided extra VAT so we'll see how that goes

Just a thought (I presume the DPD guys will be looking in). There should be a copy to clipboard option for the UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Just a thought (I presume the DPD guys will be looking in). There should be a copy to clipboard option for the UK address.

I hope they are looking in. Been trying to register since Tuesday, with no joy.Emails to your site get no reply. Will stick with PM.

I don't understand the whole calendar thing so I'll have to wait till my time arrives into them to figure it out.

I'm never going to be at home for the delivery anyway so I don't need a calendar to tell them that. I order stuff through an post which also needs signatures and I don't have to get them to schedule it.

Just realised that if something arrives into parcel motel on Friday it will be in my locker on Saturday morning but with DPD I will have to wait till Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Berty wrote: »
    I don't understand the whole calendar thing so I'll have to wait till my time arrives into them to figure it out.

Just realised that if something arrives into parcel motel on Friday it will be in my locker on Saturday morning but with DPD I will have to wait till Monday.

As far as I can tell they'll deliver to the address you set as 'home' unless you set it otherwise in the calendar. Say to a family member if you are on holiday etc. Useful I think.

As regards Sat. delivery to a PM - I'm not near one at the weekend and normally when I go to get it Monday it's gone by 6am, after its 48hrs stay. One of the reasons I use parcel connect instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Thanks OP, be good to try this out and see how it goes. One question I have. Once the 3 freebies expire, how exactly do you pay for further deliveries? On their site they say they will contact you to arrange payment once they have received the item to be delivered but does anyone know how this will work? Is it an over the phone credit card payment or something? It seems much more straightforward with ParcelMotel where you have to have an account in credit with them to use the service.

You don't have to have your account in credit with parcel motel. Mine is linked to my Visa debit so they just take the charge out as it needs be.

Maybe DPD can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Logged in at last.

Where the hell is the virtual UK address hidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Logged in at last.

Where the hell is the virtual UK address hidden?

Hmm there was an address listed on the left hand side in the 'Home' or 'My Account' tab. Seems to be missing. As you couldn't cut and paste from it easily perhaps they are changing that bit.

Just use the PW number listed in the home screen and amend the below from their help section. (Although that differs somewhat from the one in the 'tab').

Mr. Joe Bloggs
    PW123456
    DPD Parcel Wizard
    Unit 3, Trench Park,
    Trench Road
    Mallusk
    BT36 4TY
    UK

I edited mine for Amazon with the county (this one taken from the original listing in my account)

Firstname Surname PW123456
    DPD Parcel Passport
    Units 3 & 5, Trench Park Rd
    Mallusk, Antrim BT36 4TY
    United Kingdom

Berty wrote: »

The calendar thing is quite simple. You can set your status for each day and DPD will then deliver to suit you.

For example, if you are not home on Mondays and Thursdays you can input this and your delivery will never come on a Monday or Thursday. If you work on Tuesdays you can add your work address in for Tuesdays and they will deliver it to you there should your package arrive on that day. If you're in a family members house next Friday you can specify that for that single day and get any package delivered to the family member's house on that day.

For another example, if you're doing your Christmas shopping over the next couple of weeks and you have a day off on the 27th you can hold all packages until that day. Instead of getting them in bits and pieces here and there they will all arrive in one go on your off day.

Some will need to use it more than others but it's a pretty useful feature.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Hmm there was an address listed on the left hand side in the 'Home' or 'My Account' tab. Seems to be missing. As you couldn't cut and paste from it easily perhaps they are changing that bit.

Just use the PW number listed in the home screen and amend the below from their help section. (Although that differs somewhat from the one in the 'tab').

Mr. Joe Bloggs
    PW123456
    DPD Parcel Wizard
    Unit 3, Trench Park,
    Trench Road
    Mallusk
    BT36 4TY
    UK

I edited mine for Amazon with the county (this one taken from the original listing in my account)

Firstname Surname PW123456
    DPD Parcel Passport
    Units 3 & 5, Trench Park Rd
    Mallusk, Antrim BT36 4TY
    United Kingdom

yes like wtf can't find this in the FAQ section or anywhere. stupid.

The address was very easy to find up until today. I think there's a link missing from the main menu, I presume they are working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/#/my-parcel-passport

Address is there but I had it bookmarked. it is now cut & pastable

Name: John
    Last Name: Dodge
    Address Line 1: PWxxxxxx
    Address Line 2 : DPD Parcel Passport
    Address Line 3: Units 3 & 5, Trench Park Rd
    City/Town Mallusk
    Postcode: BT36 4TY

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The old idea of Parcel Wizard was a relatively nice concept (that you could arrange deliveries on different days, to different places, within a one hour window and with text notifications). It added a great deal of convenience.

Where it fell down, was that you had to specifically add you PW ID to the delivery address for it to kick in. Given that most people don't know who the delivery company is going to be, then most people aren't going to bother with that.

Which is why I think the old parcel wizard service generally failed to take off.

Which seems to be why they are now adding a Parcel Motel style, UK style virtual address service, which in turn makes the old parcel wizard type service much more useful.

Having said all that, if they could make the old Parcel Wizard type service work without having to enter your PW ID, for instance by identifying an incoming package by your Name, address, email or mobile number and then directing the package as per your calendar rules, then I could see it actually becoming an extremely valuable service.

It would be even better if An Post, DPD, Fedex, UPS, etc could all come together and have one site where you could arrange your deliveries from any of these companies per your calendar. A meta Parcel Wizard if you like.

Of course that is very unlikely to happen as they are all competitors and unlikely to work with one another, even if it did benefit them all (missed deliveries and re-deliveries are a significant cost for delivery companies and could be significantly reduced with a PW type service).

bk wrote: »
    Having said all that, if they could make the old Parcel Wizard type service work without having to enter your PW ID, for instance by identifying an incoming package by your Name, address, email or mobile number and then directing the package as per your calendar rules, then I could see it actually becoming an extremely valuable service.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on the site that they will use emails and mobile phone numbers to try to identify PW members too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭droidman123

am I reading this correctly,if I order from a company in the uk,that company has to be using dpd for this parcel wizard to work and if the company I order from use a different courier than dpd it wont work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

i will join up, my main reason being that i have to travel 20 miles to the pm depot, then 20 back, as i am home each day and the local delivery driver and i go back a long long way, it makes financial sense

Advertisement