Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

I've been told not to run at all for two weeks.....we'll see how that goes!

I would say stick to this. I know the natural high of the marathon finish can grab hold and you immediately want to capitalize on the improved fitness accumulated but trust me the rest can have huge benefits.

- Mentally recharge. Sometimes you can be all guns blazing in the weeks after to point where you rush back and simply burn out mentally about 5-6 weeks down the line

- One big training session. The importance of recovery has been mentioned numerous times in terms of recovering from stresses and adapting to get the benefits of workouts. The marathon itself is the ultimate workout and as such the recovery has to be appropriate in order to get the benefits of the marathon from a training perspective.

- Injury and illness. You have just put your body and immune system through the works, now is the time to let that recharge.

Even the elites like Sean Hehir (who won the Irish Championships yesterday) has harped on about how he had to balance the recovery from Berlin and stated after the race yesterday how he is now taking a few days off.

Thanks Myles, I was toying with the idea of going back to crossfit at the weekend too, should I give that the two weeks as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

Lots of spectator photos up on Flickr if anyone wants to have a trawl through them :
    www. flickr. com /search/?text=dublin%20marathon&sort=date-posted-desc

Thanks Myles, I was toying with the idea of going back to crossfit at the weekend too, should I give that the two weeks as well?

Definitely. The general guideline is one day for every one mile raced without a hard workout and given the high intensity nature of metabolic conditioning that crossfit is based on this would be included

Walks come Thursday Friday and a bit of foam rolling and start to ease back into it from later the following week.

Thanks for your advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

PJD wrote: »
    I will be running slowly this saturday at St Annes Parkrun. I may even wear fancy dress.

I "think" the boys matches are both on in the same place this Sat morning. If they are Mr. Chops will be taking them. I'll be down to cheer you on. I don't think I could run next Sat morning tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Definitely. The general guideline is one day for every one mile raced without a hard workout and given the high intensity nature of metabolic conditioning that crossfit is based on this would be included

Walks come Thursday Friday and a bit of foam rolling and start to ease back into it from later the following week.

I'd definitely agree with this. I was disappointed with my marathon in 2013, and (probably trying to feel better about running by doing a few good races) I got back to jogging two days later and back to more or less my pre-marathon training in a week or so. I raced well for a while - got a few PBs in November and December. Then I started pulling muscles and got a 2-month long cold / cough that I just couldn't shake. By Ballycotton 2014 (March) I'd been put on 3 weeks no running or exercise by the physio. It took me all of 2014 to get back to being injury-free and back to the times I ran in various distances in 2013. I'm not sure if I can blame it all on coming back too vigorously too soon, but I'm sure it didn't help! So take a rest, all of you, enjoy your amazing achievement!

ETA: Sorry to sound like the voice of Christmas past or someone similarly negative. I am sure you will all take a lovely rest & not repeat my mistakes. You all had a great race yesterday, so enjoy the medal, t-shirt etc and the recovery time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Another vote for taking two weeks off here.
    I felt fine for two days after the marathon but had bad doms on the third day which lasted a few days in calfs.
    Rest and recover and let the super adaptions happen and build back up really really gradually.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Starting swimming lessons next week (also sorry DG :p).

Come to the dark side, we have cookies :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Come to the dark side, we have cookies :cool:

And the beer is a lot colder too;)

Back training tomorrow for me, no running for a week or two though.
    Looking forward to a dip in the pool tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

26 days rest; I won't lie, I'm going to be pretty bored but yeah I can see the long term benefits far out weighing the short term "buzz"

Tld have time's up on there site.

Just looking for myself; Manchester Marathon in April that'd give a months rest and four months training followed up with dublin, three weeks rest and six months training for DCM. I'll think about it over the next week or so but that could well be next year's plan.

Gillo wrote: »
    26 days rest; I won't lie, I'm going to be pretty bored but yeah I can see the long term benefits far out weighing the short term "buzz"

Should specify the 1 mile/day applies to harder running not running all together. No harm going out for walks later this week and the sporadic 20 min recovery run (3 or 4 min per mile roughly slower than MP might be a little bit exaggerated but it highlights just how slow these recovery runs should be)

The recovery aspect can sometimes be used to mask a basic reversion to pre training levels of sedentary lifestyles and overindulgences. Enjoy the recovery but at the same time don't completely abuse it.

Thanks Myles, yeah I'll get a few more walks in this week and add a short run or two next week. I've a friend looking to do Clontarf in three week's but I figure thats probably ambitious to consider. Although she does run at a slower pace to me so if I stuck with her No Gillo, be sensible.

"sedentary lifestyles and overindulgences" so hookers and coke are still out of the question?

Cool name by the way, I only copped the relevance now!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

First 10km: 8:21 mile split
    Half: 8:20 mile split
    30km: 8:19 mile split

Ran it in 3:39 yesterday, which I'm absolutely delighted with - inside my target time! I really enjoyed the park section, as well as the crowd under the bridge at Milltown. If I never run it again, I think I will go in to support. The atmosphere, the crowds, the generosity of people was amazing - out with sweets, oranges, kids roaring "Come on! Don't slow down" while running to give people bananas!

A friend of mine joined me for 8 miles and this really helped me along. At times, I could have slipped back but he kept encouraging me to stay in with the pacers, coaxing me along. It was great to have words of encouragement as we went up through Clonskeagh!!

The run in was brilliant but the most amazing part was in Castleknock. The atmosphere at the left-hand turn was unreal, like hairs on your arms sanding up unreal. The music was pumping and the crowd were right in on top of you going bananas. I felt like I was in the Tour De France!

Thanks again to Dubgal and those who have contributed to this thread. It has been unbelievably helpful and insightful during the months of training. It's been great to hear people's stories - at times you think you're out there on your own, that nobody gets it - but the other headcases in here do!

When I took up running, I swore I'd never do a marathon, it was just too much, the half was long enough. Last night as I thought back through the day I thought "I wouldn't say no to doing it again"!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Right, I'm finally back home and got my Strava synced up properly, so I'll type up the report you have all, no doubt, been waiting for with the most bated of breaths.

Pre-Race: We got up to Dublin on Saturday, and spent a good bit of time walking around between food, hotel, etc, so I planned to make sure that I did as little as possible on Sunday. I went for a 2 mile run around O'Connell St on Sunday and felt fairly fresh. No real niggles or anything so I was feeling pretty okay about the following day. I slept fairly okay, and didn't really have any nerves as such! I got the the entry to the Marathon about 8:40am or so, but I hung around the big blue balloons saying START, assuming that was the start area. A logical assumption, but not a true one as I had to get down another street or so! I wiggled my way into the 4:30 group, but I didn't see anyone I know. Tried to figure out which one was Murph_D, and I guessed right. Introduced myself briefly, and we were off!

The Race:

Miles 1-3 (10:09, 10:00. 10:10) - I felt very comfortable. Normally, I take 3 miles before I stop hating my legs, but I felt great. Lovely downhill at the start and some loud support! Was nowhere near as crowded as the half in September. I was a small bit behind the pacers at this stage, but nothing too much.

Miles 4-6 (10:03, 9:59. 9:52) - Just got into Phoenix Park and pulled up beside Murph_D and the female pacer, and promptly got bonked by her balloon. There was some wind! Thankfully, it was at our back and I found the uphill through the park fairly okay. In hindsight, I probably should have realised I was putting in more effort and that wind was helping me, but I wasn't really looking at my watch at this stage. I found it quite a nice stretch, again some great support, and not boring at all. The fact that I'm not that familiar with the area no doubt helped.

Miles 7-9 (9:55, 9:46, 10:03) - Again, fairly good. Coming down, rather than up, that f***ing hill in the half was a massive relief for sure! I was not happy to see that road and was glad when we turned right, rather than left, after coming out of the park. It was a lovely stretch, and I was feeling good. The thoughts of 4:30 being possible, and me getting a target on the first attempt for the first time were swimming through my thoughts!

Miles 10-12 (10:03, 10:12, 10:25) - The wind was getting to be a bit of an annoyance here. I pulled back a little bit. I think there was a fairly big hill here just before or after a tunnel, I can't recall exactly. Took that handy, and felt fairly okay. Slight twinge in my glutes, which unfortunately was a sign of things to come!

Miles 13-15 (10:25, 10:33, 10:39) - Sh*t. This is kinda getting hard now. Was struggling to keep at 10:18 or there abouts. I knew I had going to 13 a full 2:30 ahead of schedule so I knew I had a bit of wiggle room, as I knew the middle miles were going to be a bit tougher with the projected wind. I wasn't too worried. I did lose sight of the 4:20 pacers. I wasn't close to them at any stage really, but I could nearly always seem the balloon in the distance.

Mile 16-18 (10:43, 11:08, 11:13) - The wheels started to come off. In the half I started getting tight glutes in the last mile and a half, and the same thing started happening here. The 4:30 pacers passed me about Mile 18, and there was no way I was sticking with them. At that stage, I just resigned myself to finishing in the 4:45 target, one I was still more than happy with.

Mile 19-22 (11:28, 11:51, 12:22, 12:44) - Getting tougher and tougher. Just plodding along at recovery pace, wishing the end was near. The support was fantastic, and I made it my business to high five every child I could just to hear them shout for me to keep going! Each shout of 'You're almost there' nearly made me reply with 'YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!!!!'

Miles 23-25 (11:49, 12:15, 12:39) - I met up with a girl who was struggling the same as I was, Liv. Lovely girl, and we managed to keep each other going the last 4 miles or so. Quote of the segment was 'My legs feel like they're having babies) - Not going to lie, this wasn't a good section - I was literally watching the watch counting down.

Mile 26(and .2) - (12:34, 10:48) - The finish straight was nice and flatish at least! We just keep on counting, cursing the RDS as we passed for giving us this stupid race number! The 800m sign was there. Nearly there! I saw someone with a medal and t-shirt, and shouted 'I hate you' at her with a big smile, and got a thumbs up and a reassuring 'nearly there! keep going'. My arms were so tingly at this stage, like my entire arm was a funny bone. It was very strange. 400m. We kept saying to ourselves 'We're going to do this! We're going to run a marathon' . I met my wife and son near the line, gave a quick high 5, and tried for a sprint. Liv said she couldn't and I would have felt like an ass, leaving her after the support we had given each other so I didn't pull ahead. Crossed the line! EMOTION!!! EYES WELLING!!! DIDN'T CARE ABOUT THE TIME (which was 4:46:38 or so) - I'd done it!!!! In July 2014, I couldn't even run 260m without being a wreck. I had now completed a marathon at the first time of asking!! Delighted! Got my medal and t-shirt and DEVOURED that yummy brownie things in the goody bag. I met up with my wife and son, and my sister and her fiance who had come out too! TEARS! LAUGHTERS! Little bit of PAIN!

We were heading into town and I remembered McGrattans so we went there for a little while. Lovely to finally meet diego_b, and a few others who I had met at the half. Was raging that I couldn't wait around to meet Grainne and Carrie again, who did fantastically well. As I said to the boss lady, I couldn't have done this without all the guidance she gave, and the support received throughout this journey. So, so, so grateful, you had no idea.

The six million dollar question is whether I'd do it again? The answer is yes. Probably not in 2016, I want to work on those glutes as that's what's letting me down. My heart rate was perfect, I didn't get out of breath in the slightest, and I barely broke a sweat, so I feel my cardiovascular system is set up to do a marathon properly, I just need to get the muscles in sync with it. I felt pretty okay today, a bit stiff and my right foot is a bit sore, but could I do a very slow 3 mile run if forced on me? Definitely. Compared to how I felt after my first half marathon, it's a massive difference, to which all this training is definitely the defining reason.

Well done again to everyone! It's been a hell of a ride!

To paraphrase, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, 'So long, Dublin, and thanks for all the escalators!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I would say stick to this. I know the natural high of the marathon finish can grab hold and you immediately want to capitalize on the improved fitness accumulated but trust me the rest can have huge benefits.

- Mentally recharge. Sometimes you can be all guns blazing in the weeks after to point where you rush back and simply burn out mentally about 5-6 weeks down the line

- One big training session. The importance of recovery has been mentioned numerous times in terms of recovering from stresses and adapting to get the benefits of workouts. The marathon itself is the ultimate workout and as such the recovery has to be appropriate in order to get the benefits of the marathon from a training perspective.

- Injury and illness. You have just put your body and immune system through the works, now is the time to let that recharge.

Even the elites like Sean Hehir (who won the Irish Championships yesterday) has harped on about how he had to balance the recovery from Berlin and stated after the race yesterday how he is now taking a few days off.

Should specify the 1 mile/day applies to harder running not running all together. No harm going out for walks later this week and the sporadic 20 min recovery run (3 or 4 min per mile roughly slower than MP might be a little bit exaggerated but it highlights just how slow these recovery runs should be)

The recovery aspect can sometimes be used to mask a basic reversion to pre training levels of sedentary lifestyles and overindulgences. Enjoy the recovery but at the same time don't completely abuse it.

And from Irish Runner:
    6 – POST RACE RECOVERY The rules are simple for recovering from a race. Rest or jog until you feel recovered. You’re recovered when your legs are no longer stiff and sore, your muscles are not sore to touch and and you have regained your energy for daily activities. Cross-training at a low intensity can really help with this. For example, cycling, deep-water running and walking on the elliptical trainer are all non-impact aerobic activities that do not stress the legs, while maintaining your cardiovascular fitness. Avoid weight training for your legs until they are fully recovered.

And for those of who know your RHR prior to the 26th ;)

7 – USE A HEART MONITOR TO GAUGE YOUR RECOVERY Heart rate and the heart rate monitor are now commonly used to assess whether a runner is working harder than normal to achieve the same pace and distance (i.e. under-recovered) Early morning heart rate should be established over several mornings upon waking. The average should be calculated and on ensuing mornings if the resting heart rate is elevated by more than five beats/ minute, it is a reasonable indicator that you are still recovering from the previous day’s training. You can also establish your normal cruising pace heart rate. If the heart rate is significantly elevated when training, it could be a sign that your recovery from the previous day’s training is incomplete

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and very important - DO NOT GIVE IN TO THE DARK SIDE
    If you're looking for an excuse to spend money, I'm sure there are more exciting things to buy than bike upgrades. :) Cycling and swimming are both okay, as long as you remember that it is only crosstraining!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

RayCun wrote: »
    and very important - DO NOT GIVE IN TO THE DARK SIDE
    If you're looking for an excuse to spend money, I'm sure there are more exciting things to buy than bike upgrades. :) Cycling and swimming are both okay, as long as you remember that it is only crosstraining!

....... sneaks back out to shed to build that new bike i'd promised myself for after the marathon...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

My wife and my sister were near the end about 400m I think. They saw a girl collapse right in front of them. They had to do CPR and defib her but according to a Guard there, they stabilised her. Hopefully she makes a full recovery. Just get home safely is the only real target I guess.

Wow, what are the chances? Please God she makes a full recovery.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/her-heart-wasnt-beating-husband-of-runner-who-collapsed-during-dublin-city-marathon-credits-guardian-angel-with-saving-her-life-34146340.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

donglen wrote: »

Unbelievable set of circumstances, glad to hear she is ok.
    It really didn't look good when passing and that man who saved the day hadn't even arrived yet.
    Blessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Arrived up in the city centre 8:20. Got parking right beside the Finish line which was great. As my wife was with me, I didn't need to drop off a bag. Went to the portaloo's and queued. Was probably there about 20 mins, really long queues. Then made my way up to the start area. My plan was to go out just ahead of the 4:30 pacers and see how I felt towards the end. Unfortunately I didn't get to see anyone in the boards group there as I hadn't met up with them before and didn't recognise them.

Anyway, I didn't really get a chance to warm like I normally as it all seemed to started pretty quickly. But we're off and I settle pretty quickly into my pace. 30:53 for the 1st 5 km. Didn't find it too congested in the early stages. I think it was because I was staying ahead of the 4:30 group which left me with some space. Took a gel at start and then 1 every 6km. (pretty sick of them by the end) Also took water at nearly every station. Nice sized water bottles meant it wasn't too uncomfortable to carry.

Along Chesterfield avenue I spotted Ratracer who I recognised from the t-shirt he posted the day before. Introduced myself and realised we were on pretty similar timing strategies. I've ran all my runs by myself so talking to someone during really takes your mind off things. The next 10 to 15 miles flew by. Pacing felt comfortable and very steady. We saw that we were pulling away from the 4:30's and managed to keep the 4:20's in our sights most of the way. We calculated that we were on course for around 4:22 at that stage.

I found the section along Fortfield road tough. More mentally then physically. There didn't seem to be too many people there, the wind was in our faces and sky was just a miserable colour. It seemed to take ages to finish that part but once we turned onto the Templeogue Road, I immediately felt better. Its slightly downhill, the wind was at our side and there was loads of people. Felt good again!

Mainly downhill all the way to Milltown and still on pace. It was here where I got split up from Ratracer. Made it up Roebuck Hill reasonably ok. Once I was over the top, I decided to step up the pace. I felt I had a bit of a finish in me. Maybe I went too early, the next 2 km were 5:40 and 5:53 mins per km. Then I slowed up a bit. I found the stretch from Nutley Lane to the RDS very difficult. Once I approached that, I felt better again, the crowds were in full voice I knew the finish line was too bad. Looked at the watch and realised that a sub 4:20 was on the cards but I'd have to speed up. The next 2 km were 2 of my fastest.

My wife and my sister and niece were waiting for me at the canal bridge just before the finish line. That gave me a huge boost and I sprinted (as best I could) towards the finish line looking at the watch to see if it was still below 4:20. I crossed the line in a time of 4:19:56. 4 seconds to spare. I was delighted but absolutely wrecked. Was bent over a barrier for 5 mins trying to recover. Hobbled out to pick up medal and t shirt. Met up with Ratracer again.

I went to McGrattens, and met Gillo briefly there. Also met Ratracer again after he had picked up his bag. The place was packed so had my pint and went on. Really disappointed that I didn't get the chance to meet more people there.

Below are the splits. I think I made up nearly a 1000 places in the last quarter of the race if I'm reading that right?

10K 01:02:16 Stage Position 9616
    Halfway 02:10:35 Stage Position 9404
    30K 03:05:47 Stage Position 8646
    Gun Time 04:20:23 Overall Position 7491
    Chip Time 04:19:56 Chip Position 7556

Anyway, big thanks to Dubgal and the mentors. They've been great. As have all the posters here. All the tips / tricks/ advice I've picked up from everyone has been invaluable.
    Also thanks to Ratracer. Great to meet you. As I said before the mile flew by.

Well done everyone!

PS sorry for the long post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Is it just me or is everyone else bleedin' starvin' today? I've had an enormous amount of grub today and I am still hungry.

Is it just me or is everyone else bleedin' starvin' today? I've had an enormous amount of grub today and I am still hungry.

I wasn't too hungry, but never eat much. That said I got really tired about 6pm. I weighed myself this morning, I hardly ever check my weight but lost about 5kg from what I normally am. I'm hoping that it was gradual!

Couldn't find myself in the massive photo, at 5'7" I'm guessing I'm behind someone head, note for next year get yourself behind small people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Chops1234 wrote: »
    I "think" the boys matches are both on in the same place this Sat morning. If they are Mr. Chops will be taking them. I'll be down to cheer you on. I don't think I could run next Sat morning tho!

Me either chops but will be there to volunteer so come say hi. Planning a night out with my neglected friends on Friday night had a lovely fam night out tonight with FBOT and our two girls to celebrate my marathon success.

Feel like I should do one of these race report thingies.

Up at 5.55 after having mental dreams about the pacers starting two hours late and stopping places for breaks and telling us it didn't matter because we were only slow anyway :o

Had a 50g portion of porridge with raisins. Was heaving trying to get the last bit down. Had a cup of tea and made a decision not to have any water. Had drank plenty over the previous days.

Got into town just after 8, parked up near Burlington hotel. Unfortunately I hadn't factored in the fact that the bag drop was closer to the start line so walked more than I'd have liked. Walked back to the spar on mount street then to go for a last quick wee!!!

Was getting a little bit stressed that I couldn't see signs the blue starting pen, hen I copped the colour balloons matched your wave :rolleyes:

Got in place just before 9 am and went to say hello to PJD et al which gave my heart a little happy smile.

Headed toward the very back of the wave as I was really set on taking it very very easy on the first half.

Started off nicely, wouldn't be surprised if I was almost last over the start line but I really didn't care as the finish line was a long way away (well actually it was only around the corner but they made us go the scenic route :p).

Miles 1 to 7 - Waved to my supporters just after the start line and off we went. A steward just before mile one said "Go one Grainne, you're nearly there" which gave me a good giggle :D

Everything going well and pace was very even. Kept everyone around me in check and noticed as we were going into the park that people were starting to walk and breath heavily. This concerned me as it was my biggest fear to blow up but that was just so so early so I made sure I was feeling good and considered dropping the pace even further back as I knew I was on an incline even though I didn't feel like I was. Decided to keep going the way I was and wondered if it was sweat or rain on my face - was very much hoping it was the latter!

So many people cheering my name it was fantastic. One lady who had been just a couple of feet ahead of me for a while turned and said "fair play to all your supporters coming out" sure I didn't know any of them :D

Miles 8-9 nice bit of downhill here but was afraid to pick up the pace just yet so kept the same splits, never ran this evenly paced in my life!!

Miles 10-13 coming up to mile 10 and I started feeling weak, I always hit a mini wall at around the 90 minute mark so wasn't too concerned at first. As I continued I felt quite empty and thought maybe I needed more fuel (I'd had about 8 jelly babies at this point) so focused on getting to mile 13 where I knew there was food.

I had instructions to have my second bag of jelly babies out and ready for me to grab and sure enough they were ready but I had to stop here and eat (actually a bit mortified at that early stage but whatever works). Other than weak I was feeling good, no niggles, no pain, was in flying form and loving the race so far. So on I went.

Carried on up past the hospital and had a little chat with a man from wexford who asked where we were, his first marathon he had set a goal to complete before he was 50!

Mile 15 - 17 out of nowhere my tendon popped which gave me pain up into my hamstring and left me a bit upset and just thinking "oh fcuk". It was at this point that I realised I was in pain all over. My rib cage was aching like nothing I ever experienced before. Remembered I had a Nurofen in my pocket just incase so threw that into me (sorry if that's really bad). Had a very lonely and hard couple of miles and wondered how I could possibly finish. Was wishing I had asked for support at 17 instead of 18 now but once I saw the 17 mile sign the nurofen kicked in and my mental block lifted and turned to "moved forward - just keep moving forward"

Mile 18 - 21 was glad to spot a friendly face in terenure briefly said hello and said I was injured but not stopping, on I went. Met my next support station another half mile down the road and had a half a tear drop before telling myself not to lose it yet. Broke it down into 5k blocks from here knowing my next support was at 21. My progress was slow but it was in the right direction and nothing - absolutely nothing could have stopped me at that stage. Mile 21 did seem further away than I had hoped but Libelula was soon jogging toward me. Had a bit of a first aid stop here, put on dry socks and blister plasters as my left foot was in a bad way.

Mile 21-25 lucyfur and Lula stayed with me for the next mile then lula jogged beside me until mile 25. I had to stop at the bottom of Roebuck road for a bit of a puke (sorry) but I was completely empty. I knew once I got to the top of Roebuck hill I was home. Got over the flyover and I was actually delirious. My legs didn't feel like they were attached to me body, they were working completely independently. I felt very very sick though so had to stop yet again. Was still in flying form but probably because I was off my face on adrenalin.

Mile 25 - oh my god I made it! I MADE IT. I'm going to do a bloody marathon. Me!

I may have struggled to the finish but I smiled at every step - congratulating everyone passing me with a medal. I was in super form crossing the and shouted "I did a marathon" with my arms in the air once I had the medal around my neck - much to the amusement of the staff!!

Just such an amazing experience. Absolutely phenomenal. Words cannot describe it. Not the best of days but who bloody cares :pac:

Maybe I should care more. But I really don't!

I'll care next time when it's not my first marathon :D

Didn't mean it to be so long sorry! Suppose 26.2 miles takes a bit longer to get through :p

TWICE as long time wise as my longest run :eek:
    Whoops.....

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

chrislad wrote: »

Thats like "where's waldo?"!!! Where's Paulie?? - behind the big bloody banner!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Oh my god lads. How long does this high last for????? :D:D:D:D:D:D Still over the bloody moon. I hope you're all enjoying this feeling!

How are all the marathon runners today? :D
    I'm VERY confused about something... I'm not in pain!? What the hell!?

Well, I feel a slight stiffness as if my legs have been pumping iron at the gym a few days ago but that's it. I presume it's the calm before the storm and tomorrow might be 'fun' ? :pac:

Congrats everyone. From just glancing over a few posts it seems everyone has done so well. Can you believe it's over?

Would have loved to meet you all yesterday. DG was the only person I met (and thank god she did, she got me over my difficult patch!). I had a heavy cold all week and a chesty cough (that have magically disappeared today!? (really think my body has gone crazy?!?!? haha) Got pretty wet while trying to find my 'supporters' after I finished so by the time they gave me some extra layers I was already soaked. Didn't want to risk getting worse so we made the decision it was best for me to get straight into the shower and come back out. I ended up putting on my PJs though and having a nap. So rock n' roll *cringe* (I had only got 2 hours sleep the night before (NERVES) so I was absolutely SHATTERED (will explain all in race report).

Can't get my Garmin to connect for some reason so will post a proper report tomorrow. Have been writing bits and pieces already so would like to put it all together in one.

I'm going to sit down now and read all your reports. I'm so excited about reading them all - have been looking forward to it since yesterday!

I don't know what to do with myself! Have the 10k run in the dark in November but it's not enough! TFGR you had a great idea when I met you at the HM, to focus on improving your other distance times. That's something I would like to do too.

The plan was to do one marathon and see how I got on. I actually expected this to be something I'd do once and possibly never even think about doing again! But I loved it so much and I'm already researching what one I could do next! Is anyone else feeling this way!?!?!?

Any tips on how long we should wait? :p

I'm very critical of myself and very hard on myself in general so I don't know how to say this in text without sounding totally pathetic but there's a slight part of me that's a little disappointed!

After talking to a few people I know who have done marathons and the chat we had on here a few weeks ago about rough finish times. I went out thinking 4hr 30 would be a good target (all going well) and anything under it would be a bonus. So to finish at 4 hours 4 minutes was really great BUT.... I was just 4 minutes off doing a sub 4 hour marathon on my first attempt!

I never went out AIMING for a time though yesterday. It's just when it went so surprising well for me, I would have loved to shave off those 4 mins when I reflect back. I hope that makes sense?

Hope that didn't come out wrong. I don't want to sound arrogant or like a tw@t but it's just a SMALL thought I've had. I'm still absolutely thrilled obviously. Don't get me wrong!! It's such a tiny insignificant thing in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi guys, great race reports...keep em coming!

First things first....TFGR....you are amazing, I read your interview in the Irish Independent (Marathon pull out) and it was great to see....fair play on your marathon journey......great job!!

Last year in the 2014 DCM Mr Manflu plus the mad heat inferno burned me out at the halfway point and I crawled home.....not this year, really enjoyed the DCM this time.

Ode to FBOT:
    A chance meeting with FBOT at the expo, where he reminded me of the fact that going out too fast even by 10 minutes could wreck my race so after 5K of 'having a look' at sub 4 hours, I decided that it was too warm and my 10 day lay off prior to the DCM (knee niggle) were too much of an unknown, so I sensibly started to drop back to the 4:10 pacers. 10K point in 58.52 minutes....thank you FBOT ;)

Then I jumped into a taxi and headed for the Crumlin road :eek:.......erm I mean that my tracker stopped working at 10K and thankfully Mrs Smash has a 'Mad American' friend that planned to see me just before the 10K point and she confirmed by phone that I was not in the First Aid hut with a 'bandjaxed' knee.... phew!

I went out on my backside (my fault) just after Myo's pub while I was doing a juggling act with my water bottles and Nunn tablets.....very lucky not to collide with another runner as his knee went inches past my head and he went past me...race had become a full contact sport at that stage...

I was running with my friend (non Boardie, first DCM) and he kept wanting to push on but I told him that he would thank me later for the 'take it handy' advice. We reached the 'concrete tunnel' after Chapelizod and by then the 4:10 pacers were up with us and we hit the halfway point at around 2:05....perfect.

The Crumlin road was to my surprise nice and calm with little or no wind, so all good to the Hospital where Mrs Smash and my little girl were there and delighted to see me still in one piece with the 4:10 pacers. My mate started to flag a bit at the KCR so we had a pact that if one of us was fading the other had 'permission' to push on......I went after the 4:10 pacers delighted to be still in an upright position at this stage.

Caught the 4:10 pacers ....twice....and magically 'reappeared' on the tracker at 30K at a time of 2:57:30 but at Milltown I was starting to fade a little but didn't panic and said I would aim for my 'B' time of sub 4:20.

Enter The Gooch.....and Dubgal
    Hit the Lucozade stand at Roebuck Road where Colm Cooper 'The Gooch' handed me a bottle which was cool and I stopped for the first time to rest...and then Dubgal appeared with her 'DG' sign and hurled abuse....:D em.... I mean gently encouraged me 'to get up that hill' at Roebuck Road. No more motivation needed than that and I trotted up that hill, got a real kick out of being able to do that. Then she ran with me for about 2K down Fosters Avenue and the on to the UCD flyover.....really kept me going when I really just wanted to stop and walk....thanks DG :)

This brought me up to around 38K only 4K left to go....c'mon you can do this, the pain will be over soon. The next 4K were a real mind battle, every muscle in my body wanted to stop, but a term from watching the Rugby recently kept coming in to my head 'Champions get up when they can't'......a bit 'Rocky' ish and corny but it worked for me....I promised my legs that we would stop soon.

The last 2-3 miles were amazing and painful, I stopped looking at my Garmin and just focused moving forward and passing whoever I could at this stage. I saw some poor guy collapse at around 26 miles with the ambulance men around him...he was breathing ok with a mask on etc, but that made me skip any thoughts that I had of a last minute sprint finish.....my legs said thanks:rolleyes:

Then I spotted a guy out of the job at the 400m to go and he shouted out to me and I waved and got a big cheer and kept hearing my name (on my top) being called....I was in wonderland....crossed the line at 4:18:11 nearly 2 minutes inside my 'B' time of sub 4:20!!

So glad I listened to FBOT at the expo and had a great experience.

Glad to finally meet a lot of you in McGrattans, everyone was wrecked but happy.

My 'good' knee felt like a grenade exploded inside it just when I crossed the finish line and is stiff and sore today, but I think that it will be ok....don't care as the smile on my face is too wide to care about things like that for at least a few days.

Off to the physio next Monday as a precaution as I went back running (Mo 10K) too soon ended up with an IT band issue last year and was out of running for 3 months....worth considering if you have any niggles in a week or two.

Thanks again Dubgal (4:18 pacer) and Mentors.......

Great thread guys, see you all next year, I feel that I have 'Graduated' properly now and some demons vanquished and more importantly....beer is back on the menu :pac::D:D:D!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Race Report

up at 6.15, early night and had good night sleep. Had usual breakfast of porridge & honey and banana.
    made up 2 500 ml bottles of powder mixture with salts and minerals and small amount of protein & carbs
    drank one over half hour before leaving & left other with Wife who was going to give to me at mile 14 or
    so. Herself & friend of one of runners I did my long runs with got City Bikes and where going to different
    points a long the way. Plan was in place for them to see good few park runner & other friends also doing
    Marathon. Spread sheet expertly done out by FBOT.

Other runner who I did long runs with agreed she would drive in and give us all a lift, called to collect us
    at 7.40, wife still in loo more nervous than I was, had absolutely no nerves at all before heading off, I was
    as prepared as ever I would be.

Got into city & parked without much trouble no traffic at all. walked up towards start line great buzz all over
    town, still really relaxed, all 3 off us went to bag drop and left in bags. met up with two park runners from St
    Annes also doing Marathon have bit of banter and more relaxed than ever. Myself E & A headed off for wave
    all in same area but with different times in Mind, E stops to queue for loo and myself & A head down to top of
    wave, first time I felt a little bit aw. as never had run any long Runs without E and A for company, had A for
    company up to start where we took full advantage of Male urinal along fence at side of start line, one advantage
    to being a man, not having to wait on porta loos.

Got positioned just a Head of 4hr group, 3.50 group right up at front, so plan to slowly catch up over next few miles
    start really congested and 3.50 group disappearing into distance, but remain controlled no weaving remember this is
    only mile 1. things remain pretty bogged down for first half mile or so but can see 3.50 balloons a head so started to
    catch up coming down into Christ church. Just before this a Runner collided with a rubber bollards running off the course
    trying to pass people at this early stage, luckily only his pride was hurt.

Mile 1-3 Running comfortably and keeping pacers in sight, caught up to them on NCR, MrsG gave me shout out at mile 2
    splits 8.29 ,8.24, 8.48

mile 4-6 enter park every around chatting all seemed in good humour, plenty of support at parts, one nut case running in
    bare feet. mile 5 started to get bit congested in running group, so decided to get out a head where seemed to be lots of room
    and figured could run my own race.
    splits 8.33 8.56 8.28

mile 7-9 have left one part of park and into another still really fresh, meet Raheny runner have bit of a chat, he has ran lots
    of Marathon so let him go, met him latter that night and had done 3.3xx so glad didn't try to stay with him, even though he
    said was only coming back from injury and hadn't really trained for it. some guys can just bounce out of bed and run Marathon
    think he has done sub 3 in past though. still feeling good pull a bit a head of pacer and think they can push me along latter
    in race if needs be. Looking out to see if know any one in crowds.
    splits 8.30 8.06, 8.19

mile 10-12 I know I am a Dub but cannot tell you where I was as I would get lost on a round about, but still going well
    to about mile 11 when nail I had been taping with K tape as it had cracked, I could feel pain, but used the I have been
    expecting u routine & soon forgot pain, still hanging on by a thread so sudo & plaster till falls off. all so few family & Wife
    on cheering duty which duly gives a lift.
    splits 8.04 ,8.36,8.26

mile 13-15 again couldn't tell u area I was in, knew I had built couple mins on 3.50 so decided could slow a little as few drags
    and bit of wind, few Raheny runners supporting. as well as fabulous crowds.
    splits 8.37 8.57 8.44

mile 16-18 plenty of drags starting to feel tired MrsG had said would catch me in this section with Drink mixed earlier in morning
    with salts and minerals etc, had lost plenty of sweat by now, she didn't realise how heavy Dublin city bikes are and lugging up
    and down stairs and taking detours along way had taken it toal, so she gave drink to another park runner who was out supporting
    her Husband, thanks Orla your a life saver. started getting drink into me at mile 16.5 onwards. starting to fade a little, crowds
    support was great willing everyone along, giving sweets water fruit.
    splits 8.56 8.53 8.45

mile 19-21 starting to feel better along here some ups and long drags down, spot some one in costume about 500 m ahead and
    decide to reel in slowly as mind was drifting a bit, systems check all good, didn't check in with toe just in case. mile 21 starting
    to feel lead in legs, 2 other runners beside me having same conversation out loud to each other as I am having in my head, so
    one said that is salt depleting, so got busy getting some drink into me again. ran with these for while felt comfort in someone
    else feeling pain, but remember all advice, mile 1-10 easy, mile 10-20 should start feeling pinch, mile 20-26, what running on
    tired legs training is for and decide to push on.
    splits 8.51 8.43 9.08

miles 22-24 hit Hill see Dubgal with her sign & give her shout out, remember what Yaboa said will be done in jiffy and nice
    roll down hill on other side, lots of people walking and stopping but try to keep effort up hill as I knew lovely decent coming up.
    hill done and start to get pick it back up again.
    splits 9.26 8.42 8.45

mile 25-26.2 people calling last mile for last 3 miles so got into bit of clock watching, hear people cheering for 3.50 group behind
    I did have thoughts of just letting them swallow me up, but think that would have finished my race, so did not even contemplate
    looking back just said to myself there not catching me and found little more and got move on, watch went at 25.5 so have not got
    last mile. lots of support from Raheny runners in last 3 miles and crowd willing everyone in last 3 miles, runners where stopping
    and walking all around but with all the support & Wife calling 800 m to go got the Hurt on dug deep and drove for line, and I don't
    mind saying couldn't come quick enough.
    splits 8.43 , 4.52 for .56 of mile watch died finished 3.48.36 avg 8.40 per mile

happy to have ran my own race and being able to cope with negative thoughts. Really Greatfull for all the superb advice and
    guidance from Dubgal, FBOT, Meno & Clearlier, also all past novice who popped in in last few weeks, knowing what to expect
    and been able to say to your self this is normal was great way of getting head together.

Great to meet Most of Novice back at Mc Grattans, and all so all St Annes crew including my 2 running partners who also ran
    Terrific Races. And Big thanks to Dubgal again who deserves place in heaven for coping with all tantrums, tramas and mini
    breakdowns and holding us all together. Let's hope it doesn't all end here, have to start working on MrsG for next year.

Advertisement