Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

I live in a bungalow :smug:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I actually don't feel too bad! :)

Little stuff and one of my toes got a bit hurt but otherwise, feel better than I did after racing the half last month.

Chops1234 wrote: »
    Thanks so much - Ah I'm feeling better today!

I'm glad you're feeling better. You have nothing to be disappointed about. You played a blinder and you have done a marathon! No one can ever take that away form you. You have done what most people will never do and what a lot of people would love to be able to do. We all have.

Go team \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Look at you mad yokes with your race reports all done!

I woke up hungry at 3:30am. Seriously, this I will not miss! Made myself a protein shake and back to bed. I am in pain, just going to get up and have a little check.

Yep! Pretty sore!! But no cramping last night and if I managed those stairs up to Flye Fit yesterday then I can manage anything. Seriously, they were like Everest.

Not going to do my report until tomorrow or the next day because a) my laptop is dead and I left the charging cable in Laois and b) I want to make sure I remember everything.

Well done everyone. Doesn't matter if you won, lost or drew. You made the line, you kept going and you finished. As Annapr put it yesterday 'now don't you respect the distance? 26.2 miles is a looooong way.' Or words to that effect, sorry if I paraphrased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Weird thing happened last night. Somebody must've crept into my room & hit the side of my knees with a hammer. When I woke up this morning they weren't working properly & were very painful. Will post race report later when I work out how to get down the stairs.

That sounds like what I get, although it's usually when actually running the afterwards. The other way is describe it is like something sticking into the knee from the outside, but not a stabbing pain more just dull.
    I swear by these things, but I'm not a physio so can't give proper advice.
    http://www.elverys.ie/mobile/product/ultimate-performance-itb-strap-black/217152/0000000734?&

Ok time to start writing this report, tissues at the ready...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

PJD wrote: »
    Any recovery tips??!! Anyone??... im like bambi on ice today and the 2 year old wants to play!..... thankfully the wife is taking her to creche soon! Glad I took today off work. :)

Walk, swim or cycle a bit if you can in the next couple of days - get the blood flowing gently and it will help to promote recovery even if it's the last thing you feel like doing. Eat plenty of protein too for similar reasons. Don't leave it too long before you get back to running, but start very, very easy when you feel ready.

Consider getting a massage in a few days time, but not straight away as it will do more harm than good this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

Singer wrote: »
    Wow, very strong finish, well done!

Thanks Singer - the advice here to hold back in the first half really helped, although perhaps I held back too much?

Forgot to mention in my report that my toes are sore today. Running on your own on a country road is a lot different than being stuck in the middle of thousands of people and having to slightly change pace / direction very frequently...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Stairs were ok this morning ..... Is it sad that I am wearing my medal having my breakfast .... No porridge !!! Woh woh !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Peter D61

Here is my marathon.
    Got up at 6:15 and had my usual race day breakfast, got a taxi to leeson street and walked to bag drop, I made my way to the start via a toilet with no queue. I started with the 4:40 pacers and found it very comfortable, passed 10k at 10:39 per mile, perfect. Going up the hill after chapelizod I started to feel pain from my left hip, (I hod felt a niggle last Wednesday but put it down to taper madness). I pushed on, the pain was worse on uphill sections. Got through the half marathon checkpoint at 10:44 per mile, still sweet. I felt strong but the hip was getting worse, I tried to stretch it and give it a rub but when I stopped to do this I felt it was seizing up. So I pushed on, walking up the hills, I still felt strong, went through 30k at 12:38 per mile, politely declined lucozade sport from the Gooch, Fosters avenue, downhill, loved it. Through Ballsbridge I saw the 800 metre sign, I took a deep breath, stood tall, chest out, and ran down Mount St. like I was king of the world. Waved at the crowd shed a tear as I passed my family and finished in 5:09:59.
    At that stage I was disappointed with my time but having had a chance to think about it I am very proud and there is a lot of positives to take from it.
    My hydration and nutrition were good, I felt strong all the way, and I pushed through it despite the pain.
    We couldn't get into mcgrattans as it was too packed for my mother who had come to support me. Sorry about that. My hip is still very sore but I think I'll let it settle for a few days before doing anything.
    Once again thanks to DG and the crew for their help and advice (and patience).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Stairs were ok this morning ..... Is it sad that I am wearing my medal having my breakfast .... No porridge !!! Woh woh !!!

First thing I did when I got up this morning was put my medal on! :p

Also celebrating the no porridge!! Woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Epsom salt bath

Sitting in one now, trying to get my legs warmed up to do some stretching. Right foot is swollen and sore so some ice for that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It's never wrong :D gonna go get mine and do the same!!

Haha, thought about you and TFGR as I was making my porridge this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Take a few minutes to honour this Saint today. :D

http://www.nndb.com/people/406/000205788/

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Congratulations to everyone that got round Dublin yesterday.
    I didn't want to come on here before race day. I got winter vomiting bug on Friday before marathon. Was 50/50 on running race all week end. Sunday i was getting back to normal so i made decision to run. Put immodium and motillium into front pocket of race shorts and tried to re hydrate. Went out with friends at rear of 3.40 pacers, every thing y went great up to mile 8 when i felt hip seize up at mile 8. Rest of race was a massive struggle. YyFinished in 4.25

I

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Clearlier wrote: »
    Well done everyone. Whether you met, missed or exceeded your target you can tick that item off your bucket list. You've now run a marathon!

You're going to feel a bit sore tomorrow but for most of you the real pain will only hit on Wednesday. If you can arrange it get yourself a massage.

Not only will a good masseuse help with recovery (or at least how you're feeling) they'll also be able to identify any minor injuries that you may have picked up and be unaware of.

Some of you will never want to run a step again but I guess that many of you will shortly start thinking about how if you had just done one or two things differently you'd have gone even faster. It's an itch that's hard to ignore.

Take it easy this week, if you do absolutely insist on running, go for a walk, if you still insist do it really, really slowly. Any running you do in the first week after your first marathon has a lot more to do with your desire to run than a plan to boost your fitness. Make sure you take next week easy too. Do short bits of runs a few times and you'll start to get back into the swing of things.

Remember though and never forget you're a marathon runner now. :)

Walk, swim or cycle a bit if you can in the next couple of days - get the blood flowing gently and it will help to promote recovery even if it's the last thing you feel like doing. Eat plenty of protein too for similar reasons. Don't leave it too long before you get back to running, but start very, very easy when you feel ready.

Consider getting a massage in a few days time, but not straight away as it will do more harm than good this early.

Bumpity bump, excellent advice :) I'm going to add sleep to this, get plenty of it. Elite runners factor in sleep as one essential aspect of their training, so good enough for elites....;)

Am loving the race reports. When I woke up this morning I actually felt a bit sad so the race reports are helping to relive that fantastic day :)

Phoebas wrote: »
    Wow, well done Carrie!
    chrislad wrote: »
    Take a few minutes to honour this Saint today. :D

http://www.nndb.com/people/406/000205788/
    Hehe brill :D
    First thing I did when I got up this morning was put my medal on! :p

Also celebrating the no porridge!! Woohoo!
    Hehe first thing my 5yo wore this morning...I think she has officially appointed herself Guardian of the Medals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 betty swollox

My 4 yea old boy just asked me could I go out and run again today to get another medal so he and his big sister can have one each to play with. 😄😄

Any photos from yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

With a decent nights sleep behind me and a big mug of coffee in front of me, I'll try put some coherent sentences together to describe my run MARATHON yesterday!!

Travelling up to the Expo on Sunday morning I was feeling quite relaxed about the whole monumental task that was ahead of me for Monday. Mrs RR, Jnr RR's and my friend and host were probably more excited about the whole thing than I was, although at times I think I'm boringly rational and so compartentalise a lot of emotions at ties like these. Anyway, go the numbers, but didn't hang around the RDS too long as we were due to meet others to watch the rugby match and have lunch/dinner.

I was in bed at 9pm on Sunday night and surprisingly slept like a baby until 6.30. I didn't even hear Mrs RR coming in!! Got up about 6.45 and had a very relaxed breakfast of Porridge, banana's and coffee, then set off at 7.40. Parked up, had a chat with a few of the Dublin Fire Brigade, meeting the lad who was running blindfolded alongside his brother - Not something I could envisage doing. With my bag dropped off, I headed to the start line to see if I could find the Boards 4.30 Express!!:D MurphD was easy to find with his big hot air balloon strapped to his back, then I met PJD with his red balloons and a few others soon found their way to us also. I had also met up with a few colleagues from home who were planning on runnig between the 4.20 and 4.30 pacers ( they said:mad:).

Anyway, the time came and this marathon virgin was about to pop his cherry!! I started just in line with the pacers and was with them until the first water stop in Stoneybatter. I was running woth my two colleagues and were going slightly faster than the 4.30 pacers, however by the time we were on Chesterfield Avenue, I realised tha lads were going to run better than 4.20, and although I was feeling very ggod at that time, I decided that the tortoise beats the hare and so pulled back my pace slightly and let them off at their planned pace. ( They are also seasoned marathon runners at this stage!)

Running along Chesterfield Ave, eyeball kid spotted my top from my pic on here, and introduced himself. He was also planning on 4.30 or just a bit better, so we ended up running most of the race together from here. Between chatting, both checking watches to determine pace, and EK being able to tell me about the course, the miles passed by nicely.

0-10km: 1:01:27
    Very happy with the first 10km, bang on time schedule.

11-20Km: 1:01:13
    Still running very comfortably, and inside 4.25 pace.

21-30km: 1:01:21
    Through the halfway point, what noise, it was unbelievable, carried me all the way through this 10km, still comfortable!

31-40km: 1:04:53
    Tiredness starting to kick-in, and also the mental aspect of running 'the unknown' over 35km. Still ok, but could feel discomfort kicking in. EK still strong, so I wished him well!! He had told me Roebuck hill wasn't too far off, and since 'The Boss:)' was gonna be lurking here, I knew I had to run tall, smile, and curse her under my breath!!:p I got over it, but it took it's toll on me. Despite all the offers of sweets etc, I couldn't stomach any more sweet stuff. Oh how I looked for someone with a banana at this stage, but couldn't find one.

41-42.2km:16mins 10 secs.
    I presume this is what 'the wall' is. At this point, even with cheering crowds, helpful athletes, and the best will in the world, telling myself to just keep moving, I had to walk for bits of these last km's. Looking back they were really hard work, BUT even at walking pace I kept going, and as the finish approached, the heavenly sight of the 800M sign drew close, the crowds got bigger, and I just ran. Spotted the finish form 600m out and my eyes never left the line!! Mrs RR said after that I was so focueesd on the line, never even looked for any of them on the run in, but I was running, crowds were shouting my name and my first marathon was complete in 4:28:xx!!! HooRah!:D

I did get to McGrattans, the family had a seat out the back, but I was so cold, tired and sore I could barely manage a soup. At one stage I brought my little girl to the toilet, by going around the outside lane and on the way back I tried to come through the pub to meet you guys, but couldn't get through the crowd. I didn't stay long, briefly met eyeball kid there (great run by the way, thanks for the company on the way round), then went for a shower in my friends place and headed home for Galway. My buddies that I started out with subsequently finished in 4:17 and 4:40 respectively, I passed the latter before Roebuck, and he told me he was just trying to keep moving to the finish.

This morning I'm sore, but feeling very accomplished. The marathon dream is done. The buzz all day was amazing, the energy form the crowds fantastic. On a few occasions I said to EK that I wish the crowd would stop making me speed up:D Putting my name on my top felt a bit silly at the time, but my god, the pep it puts in your step as randomers shout it out along the route was unbelievable.

Need to stop typing now.......no talk of future plans or more marathons....(Yet;))
    To DG and your crew, thank you, i would not have been at the start line without this thread.
    To all the other posters on here, We did it!!, thank you for all your help and support over the last few months!!
    EK... great day out, thanks for the company.

Keep running folks, We are MARATHONERS!!
    ratracer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Ah but the pub pics too, the important ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sorry this turned into a bit of an essay!
    It thinks of more of a diary to myself.

Pre marathon; I genuinely felt I hadn’t done enough training, it’d been a crazy year and there were way to many sessions skipped, as a result I was wondering should I call it a day last week. I’d thought of emailing one of the mentors a log of all my sessions but then if they came back and said I’d be mad to run I’d be gutted. Tapering was a nightmare common sense said to hold back, rest and recover, my head was saying get out and clock up some more distance. Then all last week I just couldn’t sleep, as the “Sleep bank” goes, NAMA was all over me!

Marathon day;
    I was running with a friend from work and a few of his friends, he told me Saturday that they were starting with the 4:15 guys, I’d been thinking, run and cross the finish line, ideally I wanted to get a sub 4:30 but that was a bonus, the finish was the goal. So after getting getting up at 5:30 I headed off with my brother to pick up my friend, Daragh. We were dropped off on Pearse St at about 8:00, walked over to Merrion Square and dropped the bags off, phone in the bag that was the end to the “Good Luck” messages. First toilet break and met the rest of the group, now five guys who didn’t know what we were doing were proceeded to the start line, jokes were made and banter was had, the jokes were the nervous but brave face kind. Getting into line I started regretting having that energy drink and pondered if it was possible to run in adult nappies as my bladder once again filled up. Standing close to the 4:15 balloon’s the nerves really kicked in. Then we saw the first wave leave on the massive screen, waited a minute or two and preceded to the start line. If the start line is only 500 meters from the finished what the hell is up with the other 41.5 km’s we have to run???

Walking with a good pace, we hit the start line, press “Start” on my Polar and we’re off. The first section was easy going, that was my plan, warm up as far as the liffey and didn’t seem to feel the hill at Christchurch. With all the congestion by the time we’d reached the Liffey it was Daragh left and myself, we’d lost the other’s. A steady climb up Stoneybatter to the N.C.R I done this many a time on a bike and knew it was long but steady.
    Reaching the Phoenix Park I was holding a good pace but conscious that it was early days, there was a good crowd of people cheering and I was easily running and chatting away. Then Chesterfield Avenue, this was long but easy, I didn’t really notice the wind, it was there but nice and cooling. Someone shouted “Come Paul”, yes people know me! Oh wait, who was that I don’t know them, what’s going one here. Daragh kindly pointed out they read your name!
    Leaving the park, Castlekock was again an easy climb with the added bonus of loads of people at the top of Castleknock cheering me, it felt amazing although I could feel my hip starting to get a little tight.
    Back into the Park and then to Chapelizard, this was easy going, although the down hill section was a little tough to hold myself back. Crossing the Liffey I was now in unknown territory, but it was easy enough once steep hill about 17km but it was relatively short and nothing too much to worry about. Winding though Rialto & Inchicore area’s I was hold steady, the pace was going up and down but I averaged just over 6min / km.
    Over the Grand Canal and up into Crumlin, there was a long gradual climb as far as the Childrens Hospital, I enjoyed this, the conversation between myself and Daragh had pretty much stopped but we were keeping together. Then BOOM, the halfway sign is in sight, that was an easy first half but hold off you have still got the same distance again. I was bursting for a wee at this stage so told Daragh I catch up with him and used the very fine portaloo’s. (Conscious of keeping my legs moving, I learnt it’s an acquired skill to wee and keep the legs active!)

Back out on the road again, this time by myself; all my training to date has been by myself and to be honest I enjoy the “me time” so was happy out to be running effectively alone. Walkinstown was easy, I think the fact that I grew up in Drimnagh until I was six helped, it was interesting to see all the changes in the last thirty years. The stretch down to Kimmage I for the first time could feel the energy dropping and the pace falling a little, for the most part though I was happy and confident, it’s flat and there’s generally a decent amount of people out cheering you along. I was once again in an area I didn’t know well and trying to figure out where I was was tricky. On to Milltown was easy enough, I can’t remember where exactly but somewhere just after Milltown I think it was there were load’s of people out, just when I needed them.
    Ok, now my naughty confession kick in, I used to smoke now I vape and chirst on a bike I’d have given my right arm for a vape there and then (I’d have given my legs too but no one would have wanted them!), so reached into the packet at the back of my short’s and pulled out the Nicorette spray I’d brought for a sweet hit, it did the job and I was off again.
    Somewhere around here a girl asked me if she could have one of my gel’s, I knew I’d brought too many so happily handed one over, it felt great that random act of kindness and hopefully gave her the boost she needed.
    At this stage I genuinely didn’t know where I was and hoped that every little hill was that infamous Heart Break Hill, ok that was easy it mustn’t have been it, there’s another to come and this one looks easy enough too. Eventually though it came into sight and yes it was tough but head down and motor one, I was doing the running movements but at a walking pace, crested the top. I was hoping to see Dubgal and her balloons there but missed her, sorry I didn’t get to thank you in person.

Really failing at this stage, I was telling myself that the top of that hill marked the last hard section and effectively I was on the home strait. Then coming around the corner of Fosters Ave, I saw my cousin cheering people on that picked my up as I fought my way into to Nutley Lane. Here I hit the wall and by wall I was a pre Celtic Tiger quality built wall, I gave in and walked most of Nutley Lane feeling defeated, I mean how could people tell me I was doing great if I wasn’t even running? The pace on my polar was pitifully slow and I strained to walk.

Then a turn into Merrion and remembered this was my second mental marker, you’re really closing in on the finish and you’ve come so far, no idea how it happened but that wall also had a door that just opened to let me through to the other side, the legs kicked in and Gillo was once again running. RDS is in sight, people are cheering and the mood really lifted, then some guy at the side of the road had a poster for a local running club I didn’t even know existed “hey mister, I’ve from there”, “keep going you’re doing great”. I was knackered at this stage but felt amazing mentally, especially as I spotted a few people walking home with their medal, I knew I was close to the end.
    Ballsbridge to the canal is really nice, no sharp turn’s and a really flat surface, then you spot the slight hump of the bridge over the canal. There crowds here are amazing, you can’t beat them the support they give. No idea how but it was so easy to run the final section, my pace increased but I wasn’t at the sprint some people were doing. Halfway up Mount St, I spotted another cousin who was out cheering his father in law, I shouted his name but he didn’t see me, looking back as I passed him I could see him searching for the random shouter and for some reason thought of going back to say “Hi’

The final two or three hundred metre’s were emotional, I felt great and couldn’t believe I’d just run a marathon, crossing the line I can’t really describe, but you’ll know what I mean.

Then medal, goody bag and t-shirt, go collect my bag and stretch. Some lady started chatting to me as I was getting changed, I’m really sorry that I seemed rude but the tiredness was kicking back in. She asked me at one stage “what next?”, don’t laugh but I honestly don’t know if she meant how to cool down or I somehow was about to be asked out???

A quick pint in McGrattans, really nice to meet a few people; I’d have loved to have stayed and met loads more but I was tired, the pub was packed and I was conscious of having a load of pints.

Looking back I’m a little disappointed I walked Nutley Lane and missed my goal by less than two minutes but really happy to have completed my marathon.

The future…
    It’s really too early to commit, but I’m seriously tempted to go next year and aim for a better time. Having learnt a lot this way I know I can do a lot better next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Reckon there may be a few people today.

Well done everyone yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benwed

just a short note about yesterday and all of the advice from the novices mentors especially d.g.the boards plan and the tactics of doing almost all runs either long or short at a min plus per mile pmp was completely vindicated for me..i am not a novice persay as i did dcm 14.i done most of my runs except a few lsrs at marathon pace and thought i was fully prepared for a sub 4 run in 2014 but how wrong could i be.i the wheels came off and i slammed into the wall at mile19.crawled over the line in 4.07 and was ill for 3 days after it from pure exhaustion..so this year i folled the boards plan religiously to the letter except for one week in july on hols in portugal.so how did yesterday go?.well fab i was comfortable all around went thru half way in 1..58 hr and finished unbelievabilly strong.i ran every step and cruised up roebuck.i have just looked up the placing stats on the tdl page and i passed 1300 people from 30k to the finish and my fastest 2 kms were my last two to finish in 3hrs 53 mins with a huge smile on my face.this achievement is due to u guys and all the little snippets of info that all took from everyones experiences and yes inexperiences as they are a learning tool too.just another point on nutriton on what i ate yesterday im a 14 stone 47 yr old and i devoured 5 gels 2 bananas 2 packs of clif blocks and 8 of the 250ml waters and one lucozade.so that may have helped to the 14 min p.b..also as a proud dub what about the crowds yesterday they were a credit to our capital city the cheers and good wishes were worth at least a min a mile to all of us.so to finish up the plan works the slow runs work the advice from dubgal and the crew works....thanks again to one and all we are all part of the one percent of the people in the world that have run a marathon.....welcome to the club....b

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Huge congrats to all, I've missed a couple of days posts and it's so inspiring to read all the updates and people's experiences of the day.
    Looking back at my original sign-up post way back in June...... "I'd take under 5 hours". Came in at 04:59:06, so thrilled with that.
    Race plan was to start between the 4:50 & 5:00 pacers as I knew that at some stage I'd need a toilet break, figured this would give me the breathing space I'd need.
    Mile 1-5: Ran each mile too fast! 2 of them a good 30 secs faster than PMP, euphoria of it all I guess (I did curse myself at the end of each mile).
    Mile 6-10: Ran each mile too fast! 3 of them a good 30 secs faster than PMP!!
    Mile 11-15: Back on track to PMP, went through halfway in 02:26xx, was closer to the 04:50 pacers than the 05:00. Somewhere around here I had to have a word with myself to back off in that there was a long way to go yet.
    Mile 16-20: As suspected, toilet break needed and taken. Felt great after it. At around mile 18 I got me one of those runners highs, everything felt so easy, I was envisaging myself blowing kisses to the crowd coming down the finishing straight!
    Mile 21-24: feeling it tough now, runners high long gone, walk run strategy for 3 of these miles, 30secs to a minute below PMP.
    Mile 25-26.2: Stress. The 5:00 pacers right on my tail for the first time. Dug deep, managed to stay ahead of them by implementing a kind of zombie shuffle strategy right to the end!
    That last 6 miles were as tough as anything I've ever put myself through, the finish line was so close but so so far away!

Can I just add that the support throughout the race was amazing. As a proud Corkman I don't readily give compliments to the Dubs but it was honestly overwhelming the amount of encouragement received along the way. Dublin, take a bow, you have an awful lot to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Yesterday didn't go to plan for me. At mile 20 I got a sharp pain in my left knee and it made progress slow and sore.
    I had to run for five minutes and walk a minute or two for the next four miles.
    It was tough going but I was determined to finish and when I hit town I managed to put the pain behind me and run the last of the marathon.
    I finished in 4:28, job done.
    As for the event itself it was unreal.
    I've ran races up and down the country and nothing comes close.
    It was really hairs standing on end stuff, I couldn't believe it.
    The crowd definitely dragged me over that finish line.
    I'll be back next year for another crack at it.
    Congrats to all on completing the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

My butt hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

I'm thrilled to have done it. Still on a high and feel fantastic. I followed my plan to the letter. Stopped at every water table and took a sip and had a little stretch (and a little chat as everyone wanted to know about the flip flops!! lol), oh, not to the letter, I had said I would walk the hills but I didn't need to in the end as I had tonnes of energy on the day (thanks to three days of risotto I'd say!!). Was amazing to see my family and friends along the route and I don't know how many times I teared up. A very emotional day!

I was raging with my garmin as I didn't realise it was on "autopause" So every time I stopped for a few seconds to stretch it paused so I thought I was in LOADS of time for a sub 4.30 but I wasn't! I did it in 4.33 though which I'm just as thrilled about as I had loads and loads left to give and I know in my heart I can do much better. Feel fantastic today in work too so that's a bonus!

Dublin is amazing because it just has the best people in the world. Such support on a wet and windy day. It was truly incredible. I was chatting along the route with runners from all over and it was so heartening to hear their reactions to the support too. Really wonderful. Roll on 2016 and I'll do it again!!!

Thanks so much to this thread and all on it. You're all brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

I forgot - I've another silly question!

I signed up for a finish photo when I registered, where do I get that from??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

engol wrote: »
    I'm thrilled to have done it. Still on a high and feel fantastic. I followed my plan to the letter. Stopped at every water table and took a sip and had a little stretch (and a little chat as everyone wanted to know about the flip flops!! lol),

oh, I think my wife knows you, she was looking out for you at mile 15

Advertisement