Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I find myself in Netherlands for a brief visit home to a new nephew. Staying at my parents house, my old room is in the attic and the stairs are long and very, very steep. Ouch ouch ouch.

I have about a month worth of reading to do to catch up on all the reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Just read your race report great run, can't believe amount of pages missed
    Yesterday must have bee still drunk, Gill giving out, said she thought boards
    Finished, how's the legs now, hope FBOT looking after you well.

Sure he's always looking after me G !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Would it be okay to do a slow 3 mile tomorrow? I feel pretty good so I wouldn't mind getting out for a bit. I'm talking a very slow run!

I know I'm going to get given out to about saying this even. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Training went very well, i think it was the Thursday before DCM when i felt that everything was falling into place and this led to a surge in confidence. The target time was sub 3:20 and the plan was to stick with the pacers. On Sunday evening i printed off a 3:18 pace band, my thinking for this was that if i was feeling good around mile 20 i would push on and with the pace band i would have a time to aim for. The pacers were planning on coming in 30 secs under target time so it surely couldn't be to hard to make up 1.5 mins.
    I slept well Sunday night and got up at 6 on the road to Dublin at 6:30. I brought my usual pre race brekki of bagel and jam and a banana with me to eat on the way. I parked the car on Mespil road at 7:20 way to early. I chilled out in the car till 7:50 and then i headed down to the start, dropped off my bag, queued for the toilet and done a short warm up. On the way down to the start line i met singer, after a brief chat we wished each other the best of luck and i headed off to join the 3:20 pacers. Up to now there were no nerves at all but lining up just before the off i started to have doubts. Was i able for this? A lot of serious looking runners around me, do i belong here? next thing i know and we are counting down to the off. No more time for negative thoughts it was time to run.

The Race

Miles 1-6. 7:39, 7:14, 7:29, 7:24, 7:40, 7:26
    And we were off. My initial thoughts were how congested it was and the heat. For whatever reason, maybe it was the shelter of the buildings and the close proximity of the other runners I found the first 3 miles very warm. I grabbed a bottle of water at the first water station had a sip and i poured some over my head and down my back just to cool myself down. I took a bottle of water at every station for the rest of the run. Running wise the body felt good for the first 6 miles, i would do regular checks, legs ok, breathing ok all was good. I took my 1st gel at 5.5 miles.

Miles 7-12. 7:41, 7:29, 7:22, 7:26, 7:55, 7:26
    Around mile 7 and i think we were in castleknock(i dont know Dublin at all so forgive if i get a few locations wrong) and the support here is brilliant it definitely gives you a lift. Back into the Phoenix Park and im still feeling good. Im at the front of the pacing group now along side the leading pacer. I knew that Beepbeep was pacing our group but i didnt know what he looked like, i was guessing that this lead pacer was he and i was about to introduce myself when he announced that he had to make a pit stop and with that he disappeared into the trees. Over the next mile my pace increased and the following mile was also a bit on the quick side i was going just a little too quick so i slowed down a bit over the next mile and the lead pacer reappeared, i introduced myself straight away and to my relief it was Beepbeep, we chatted for a bit and then he went to concentrating on his pacing duties. I had taken my 2nd gel at mile 11, i was still doing regular checks and all was fine. 12 miles done and so far so good.

Miles 13-18. 7:31 7:33, 7:32, 7:33, 7:32, 7:31
    I went through halfway in 1:39:27 (official time) it was around about now i noticed a pain in my left foot, it wasn't any thing to worry about. These 6 miles were my most consistent pace wise but the effort to maintain pace had increased quiet a bit but the legs were ticking along nicely.I took my 3rd gel at mile 16.

Miles 19-24. 7:28, 7:14, 7:26, 7:54, 7:31, 7:27
    By now my legs were really hitting a nice rhythm and i was feeling good, i still had the pain in my foot but it wasn't affecting my running. Around mile 19 i decided to push on from the pacers, i was feeling strong and sure if it didnt work out i could always rejoin the pacers. mile 20 was one of my fastest but i think there was an incline along here.I took my last gel around mile 21. I was ticking along nicely, my legs were feeling tired but they were moving ok. I knew Dubgal would be some where along here with her sign so i was on the look out for her, i spotted her and gave her a big shout but i think i caught her by surprise, i thought that yaboya was with her but i wasn't 100% sure it was him. Next up was heartbreak hill, i got up the hill ok but when i reached the top and went to push on i felt my quads get a bit tight, there was a down hill section along here i think and the quads did not like it one bit, i was staring to struggle. I thought this was it now, its all about to fall apart I had blown it, should of stayed with the pacers. Then i heard some one in the crowd say here come the 3:20 pacers and that was the shock to the system that i needed because i knew that if the pace group passed me at this stage i would probably be left behind. So i had quick check of the body, foot still sore but it hasn't affected my running, quads tight but im still running, so maybe its my head that is the problem. Up the pace a little(cant let the pace group catch me) that feels ok,then up it a another bit, now maintain that pace.

Miles 24-26.42. 7:30, 7:30(7:34)
    2 and a bit miles to go and i was back on track, sort of. I was ahead of the pace group and the legs were moving at a nice consistent pace but it was taking a huge effort. The crowds were fantastic all day but they were really special that last mile. Into the last mile and i knew it was nearly over. Mrs jake and the kids were somewhere in the crowd and i was looking out for them, heard Mrs jake shout out to me but couldnt see her in the crowd. I crossed the line a very tired but extremely happy man and just a little bit emotional.
    Chip time 3:18:30

Post Race
    Collected my medal, tshirt and goodie bag.
    Met the family and we chatted for a bit before heading to Mcgrattans.
    It was great to meet so many boardies(Marathoners).

I got very little sleep Monday night, i thought i would of slept well. I got up yesterday morning and my legs were in bits from my toes to my hips. Luckily i took 2 days off work. Mrs jake was heading out for her daily walk and i decided to join her, i threw on an old pair of running shoes and off we headed. We did 3k and i have to say the legs felt a lot looser after, the quads were still very tender though. Today we did 5k, i might go for a short run tomorrow or Friday.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed their expert knowledge to this thread and to Dubgal a very special thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

go for a walk instead, you junkie :)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

You mean last mile marathon pace run? :D

Seriously though; I probably won't though. I must find my HR monitor. One my RHR is back to the low 70s again, I'll start back into it. Legs do feel pretty good though which I'm happy with. Managed all types of stairs today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great questions to think about Clearlier!

What went well with your training plan?

I started off a bit randomly but ended up running in a reasonably structured way, and I'm very happy with my improvements over the summer. I ran a good amount of miles. Maybe it was dumb luck, but other than a minor bout of pleurisy back in May :eek: (though I did get some steroids as a result... :pac:) I didn't get injured.

What would you do differently with your training?

I wrecked myself the week before the Fingal 10k with doing too much running while continuing to drink, go to pilates, play 5-a-side football etc. This wasn't very sensible. A good lesson though.

I didn't do enough hill work / running on hills. I think I paid for that in my last 3 races.

I didn't really do any pull-back weeks, maybe I could have recovered more.

My last 20 miler was a woeful mess due to a hangover and a cold in full flight.

Maybe I could have started with a more advanced training plan and stuck to it. I did look at the P&D 55 mile plan at the start and it looked daunting, but at the end it looked do-able :)

I caused a lot of people to go out of their way to tell me to run better :)

What went well about the race?

I was happy with the time. I kept 3:30 in play for as long as I could, but didn't totally ruin myself in the process (only mostly ruined myself). I was happy to see I went up places throughout the race (though only slightly between 30k - finish). My legs haven't fallen off yet and I still want to run :)

What would you do differently if you could start the race again?

I had a good day, but could have conserved more energy and maybe done better. Slightly slower start, slightly less effort on the hills, caught up with the 3:30 pacers slower (going for it at mile 15 felt right at the time), less chatting (though this was great mentally). Relatively marginal stuff, but I guess that's what can make the difference.

I didn't follow the very clear instructions here :rolleyes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97359452&postcount=6252

All this said, I didn't make a complete bollox of it and got in slightly under my initial sub-4 goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

chrislad wrote: »
    Would it be okay to do a slow 3 mile tomorrow? I feel pretty good so I wouldn't mind getting out for a bit. I'm talking a very slow run!

I know I'm going to get given out to about saying this even. :)

Hehe +1. walk ye mad thing. Or cycle. Or swim. Go Dark Side tho and you never come back here ;) Oh, wait.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congrats Jake1970! You ran a fantastic race! Textbook!
    How's the foot?

Looking forward to following your training log ;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hehe +1. walk ye mad thing. Or cycle. Or swim. Go Dark Side tho and you never come back here ;) Oh, wait.....

Fine. I'll cycle to work in the morning. It's only about a 5 mile round trip but it'll be something.

Ye got me this far so I'll keep on listening. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Ososlo wrote: »
    Congrats Jake1970! You ran a fantastic race! Textbook!
    How's the foot?

Looking forward to following your training log ;)
    Thanks O.
    The foot is grand, and no other injuries to report other than DOMS.
    As for the training log, dont hold your breath:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

My preparation for this had all gone fairly well. I'd followed the boards plan reasonably closely. I missed one week with a foot injury, but I'd put in the hours and the miles and my times in a couple of half marathons I'd done put me in touching distance of 4h, so that was my 'A' goal. I was pretty confident that I'd be ok'ish for the first 18-20 miles, but then I'd be into uncharted territory, but I figured that even if I had to slow up, my 'B' goal of 4:10 should be manageable unless some kind of disaster struck.

My plan was to go out with the 4h pacers and let them make the decisions, leaving me to concentrate on running. I deliberately didn't look too closely at the route; I knew it wasn't very hilly and I didn't want to be distracting myself with worries about this long drag or that 'heartbreak' hill. I basically wanted to just strip this back to the basics - me running for 26.2 miles.

The race itself more or less went like clockwork, so I'm afraid this doesn't make for a very eventful race report.
    I started just behind the 4h pacers and off we went. I remembered the advice I got here to use an invisible bungee cord on the pacers and I spent the majority of the race cocooned between them, with a bit of variance mainly due to congestion. The congestion was a bit of a PITA. In the first 4 miles people had stepped on my feet on about four occasions and I was constantly having to make adjustments as people slowed down, or passed me or changed course. This I guess is one downside of running with a busy pace group so I was glad to get the extra bit of space on Chesterfield Ave.

There was a great moment going though an underpass somewhere after we left the park for the last time (as part of my 'strategy', I wasn't paying any attention to where I was at any point in time). MarthaStew kicked off a motivational round of "Oggy, Oggy, Oggy" and the chorus of "Oi, Oi, Oi" bounced off the walls and pushed us along. Meno or MrStew and the rear of the group repeated the process a few seconds later. Magic.

When we hit the halfway mark I was still feeling great. The inclines were now starting to take a little bit of extra effort but nothing that was causing any difficulty. I fully expected that I was going to have to dig deep during this race, but thankfully it wasn't yet. My favourite motivational sign was somewhere around 15 miles: "Run like you've just stolen something".

Around about here I was developing a pain in my foot; maybe a niggle from a prior injury or my laces were tied too tightly. I remembered another piece of advice to acknowledge it and continue, and it stayed with me for the rest of the race but it never caused me any real problem. I remember trying to convince myself that this was a good thing - if this was the worst I had to put up with then I was going to be OK.

Our pacers were giving out constant encouragement and updates. "You'll have to dig in for this bit up ahead", and I was thinking this must Heartbreak Hill, and it wasn't, and neither was the next one. At the bottom of what did - I assume - turn out to be Heartbreak Hill I shouted at Dubgal and then over the top. I didn't find it too bad at all, but I was glad to get it done with because I knew now that I was going to finish this and, barring disaster, I was going to do a sub 4h.

I introduced myself to MarthaStew at around mile 24, who told me that if I was able to talk at this stage, I should be able to push on for the final two miles. Following my strategy of doing what I was told, I did this and upped my pace just slightly for the final stretch. Almost as soon as I got onto Mount Street and caught sight of the finish gantry my legs began to seize up, so I was throwing some shapes as I crossed the line. I got home in 3:58:31, all of my goals met. Absolutely delighted.

9:00, 8:53, 9:04, 9:00, 9:13, 9:01, 9:02, 8:57, 8:53, 9:06, 9:16, 8:57, 9:15, 9:06, 9:09, 9:00, 9:06, 8:59, 9:00, 8:57, 9:00, 9:20, 9:04, 8:46, 8:54, 8:57, 8:52

After getting my medal and t-shirt I met up with my wife and two daughters and we made our way to McGrattans where I met up with a bunch of you. These last 20 weeks have been pretty special; I don't know if I'd have done it or not without this thread, but I'm certain that I did it better with the help of my fellow novices, the resident experts around here and most especially Dubgal, who has made it impossibly hard for anyone to repeat the trick next year.

I actually started my marathon journey over a year ago when I found the previous incarnation of this thread and discovered that running a marathon was actually something I could possibly do. At that point I'd only been running for a few months and the most I'd run was 10k. The novices from last year inspired me to take on the challenge and I'd encourage anyone with half an inkling to do it to go for it. You won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

jake1970 wrote: »
    Thanks O.
    The foot is grand, and no other injuries to report other than DOMS.
    As for the training log, dont hold your breath:)

ah go on. you know you want to :)

Great stuff. Enjoy the well earned rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

chrislad wrote: »
    Fine. I'll cycle to work in the morning. It's only about a 5 mile round trip but it'll be something.

Ye got me this far so I'll keep on listening. :)

I'm in the same boat. I swam today and will cycle up to the physio tomorrow for my massage. (14k round trip so easy peasy). But my legs feel fantastic, better than after many of my training runs.

When can we run again?!

Easy runs like. Not racing. Just recovery runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

engol wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I swam today and will cycle up to the physio tomorrow for my massage. (14k round trip so easy peasy). But my legs feel fantastic, better than after many of my training runs.

When can we run again?!

Easy runs like. Not racing. Just recovery runs.

Hi engol, take it eeeeasy. I'm going to say something you're all familiar with :D

SLOOOOOOOOOOOW DOOOOOOOWWWNNNNN in your haste to lace up again :)

Recover first. Have a look at these posts:

Myles Splitz and Irish Runner mag on recovery
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97522951&postcount=7667

Clearlier and rainbow kirby on recovery
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97517324&postcount=7606

The main points are muscle soreness and heart rate. When these two are back to normal, you can probably begin to jog again. Keep both pace and effort at recovery. No need to go out every day and no need to go for longer than 35 mins the first week or so.

Don't forget, as Myles advises, you have just completed a 'super session' so resting properly will allow your body to make the 'super adaptations'.

Your body can't do this fully while it is being stressed by other activities or events. (Lack of sleep is an important one here too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Am getting no time to read and less to type but here goes with my little tale

Met a few friends by chance in the wave 1 rear area and started there with them. Up to 23rd sept wave 1 was where I thought I belonged and probably did but picking up a pain in the knee that day was more or less the end of marathon training for me.

Anyway Plan A was to see where my fitness was and hopefully make the finish in 4 hrs and plan B was abandon the clock and get over the line no matter what.

Miles 1 to 7 were all roughly 8.30s though I wasnt using a watch or anything, and I was enjoying being back out on the tar, but having just rounded the bend in castleknock I got the kaleidoscope eyes effect that goes with a migraine, like a small bright dot in your vision that starts small and grows into a ring getting bigger until eventually it gets to the outer edges of your vision and then disappears again ... which it did, got no headache miraculously and by chapelizod it was gone, can't say it affected the run at all, just odd timing, and now part of my marathon.

What did affect me come mile 10 at the underpass near Sarsfield Road was my fitness, I was out of diesel already and the uphill found me out, stopped for my first walk that I can remember having to take since leaving c25k last year. I knew then with so much still to do that Plan A was in bother, Plan B step up please....

From mile 13 I was deep into stop start territory, both legs now giving cramp trouble, which got worse. Anyway, to cut a long story short 13 to 25 were a pure nightmare, running was hard, walking got harder too, really hard, when I ran I passed people out, and when I walked as slow as I was, they passed me as they walked. I was cramping in both calves and thighs and a hip was giving out ****e to me for this mullarkey which I was puttin us all thru. I probably stop started running over 50 times. I had no conditioning and 10 miles was all I was fit for. One month of no training (due to injury not laziness) had drained the bank right back from 22miles to 10. I think people were telling me from UCD that we were there now, just a mile to go, that last mile they were all on about lasted for f**kin ever but somehow I did find the cohonas to not stop in that last half mile as the green gantry appeared on the horizon like a tiny blip [youch]. I got over the line in 4.48.xx and am so bloody happy with myself for doing it and not giving up.

Anyway enough of all that misery. New paragraph for the good stuff....

What an occasion to be a part of. You become a sports superstar for the day. I want to give a medal to each and every person who stood and clapped us all on, and drove us on, got me running everytime someone would say 'come on jim...'. All the old village crossroads around the city were fantastic, Castleknock, Chapelizod, Dolphins Barn, Crumlin, Walkinstown, on and on and then there was Alpe d'Huez (Roebuck/Foster), wont ever forget running to the top of Heartbreak Hill and flip floppin my way out thru the huge crowd at the top to get to a wall I could stretch the cramps out with. I love that wall now. So many people who did know me, so many who recognised my club top, so many who just read my name and roared me along, it got me home....

There was no chance I could have a drink in town afterwards, I had to drive and more importantly, I would have collapsed on ye.

notes:
    * Thanks to the wine gum woman on Nutley Lane who just said 'Jim.....you look like you need a wine gum' and I did :)
    * Props to spiderman and batman (2 small kids around Clonskeagh) who just needed high 5s as much as I did
    * I would've murdered a cup of tea on the back stretch around the park, murdered it
    * Red traffic lights did my absolute head in, each time I'd have to do a double take, as if the brain wont let you break them unconsciously
    * Bad weather? was it?
    * Being part of the Dunboyne club gave me huge support, both from runners as they passed me by, and the crew around the course
    * They wont read this but a big thanks to my family and sis-in-law who brought them in to C'knock to see me pass by

And of course to the team here, led by Dubgal and her knights, thanks a million for making this a place I could come to at any time of the day or night to learn shtuff about marathons over the past half-year.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Oh my god. I started writing and I couldn't stop. I'm so sorry for the length of this.
    I need to read all of your reports. I just wanted to write up mine as soon as possible while it was fresh in my mind.

Race report (more like race diary!):
    I went off the radar from the end of September. Up to then I felt my training was going really good. I felt strong. My only complaint was that my appetite was really big and I was over eating for a few weeks (across the few weeks we had those big LSRs). I worried I’d put on weight and make the marathon harder for myself. I don’t think I put on too much in the end / or it balanced out. So next time, my diet will have to be looked in to.

I went on holiday and trained throughout the holidays. I missed some runs but to be honest I was happy with myself for trying my hardest to fit them in to a busy scheduled holiday.

I came home though and lost total momentum during the tapering. I couldn’t even bring myself to come on here and post, talk or read about running at the time. I also didn’t want to come in whining once again and putting a negative air in the thread during a time attitudes needed to be positive. I thought I’d be relieved to reach this point but I actually found the shorter runs very difficult for some reason and found them painful. I think uncomfortable is probably the best way to describe them? This went on for 2/3 weeks before the marathon. I felt like crap. My A goal went from trying to get 4hrs 30mins to just being able to finish the damn thing. Really struggled with tapering. I also had some life stress at this point (moving jobs, house). And also had an ongoing tooth/root canal saga – which got pretty painful and lasted a few weeks. Overall mood was… pessimistic!
    Week before the marathon I was a bag of nerves. I was finishing up my current job and very stressed out. I couldn’t face reading ANYTHING about the marathon. I didn’t even study the course like I had planned to. I can’t even explain now but I felt SICK just thinking about it. My confidence was really low in my ability. I did all I could to distract myself that week. Stayed away from reading about it, filled my free time up with other things that have been neglected the past few months.

I went to the expo on Saturday and then it really started to hit me – the marathon was finally here! And it wasn’t nerves that consumed me, it was EXCITEMENT. I loved walking around the expo. I was really good and didn’t buy anything but my OH bought me a cup when I went in to get my number – and surprised me. (I love my tea so very proud drinking from my new cup!).
    I spent Saturday and Sunday feeling very excited. I got everything ready in a pile and pinned my number etc. But on Sunday evening, the nerves kicked in. I really struggled to eat on Sunday. I had no appetite (which always happens when I’m nervous) – this then stressed me out as eating well today was so important. I managed to eat enough slowly over a long period. I decided to look up the course and memorise the water stations at the last minute. Then I went off to bed….. I shouldn’t have bothered! I got about 2 hours of sleep MAX. My stomach was in knots. I was sick with nerves all night long. When the alarm eventually went off that morning I panicked. I didn’t get any sleep! How the hell can I run a marathon on two hours sleep? I was totally distressed and forced down my porridge. I really don’t know how I managed to eat it all.

I also had a very bad cold and cough all week which was no where near cleared up. I was worried. Had a packet of tissues strapped to my flipbelt!

I got ready – straight forward. Wore an old top over my running gear to keep me somewhat warm – threw it away when I got there. It did the job!
    I got out of my funk as soon as I was ready and walking to the start line. I wasn’t stressed, I wasn’t nervous anymore – I was just… ready. I don’t know where that attitude came – out of nowhere - but an overwhelming sense of confidence came over me. I have no idea where that strength came from. It’s hard to describe but it was INCREDIBLE. A miracle! I was in wave 2 – green. Was a bit confused when I got to the line but a lovely volunteer pointed me in the right direction and off I went.

Commenter on the loud speaker was very funny and really relaxed me and had everyone around us laughing. Told us wave 2 were much better looking than wave 1! Haha

The feeling as I passed over the timer belt at the start line was that of RELIEF. Yes, today is finally here. The marathon – the thing I’ve been thinking about…. no OBSESSED with, over the last few months. The roller coaster of emotions – the different phases of excitement, nerves, dread, fear on the lead up to ‘the big M’ as I called it. Thankfully the right emotions were with me at the start, positive ones: relief and excitement. I remember saying to myself “C’mon, Let’s do this!”.
    I’ve always talked to myself A LOT during races. If anyone could read my mind during one they’d think I was crazy.
    I think a mile by mile race report from me would be pretty boring. I also would struggle to even remember which mile was which in my head. My splits were as follows:
    1 8:56.3
    2 8:13.3
    3 8:47.1
    4 8:39.6
    5 8:57.3
    6 8:32.4
    7 8:30.4
    8 8:23.1
    9 8:31.1
    10 8:30.6
    11 9:10.2
    12 8:47.3
    13 8:54.9
    14 9:46.7
    15 9:16.3
    16 9:22.7
    17 9:28.5
    18 9:18.4
    19 9:51.4
    20 9:00.1
    21 9:53.8
    22 11:09
    23 11:40
    24 10:04
    25 10:02
    26 9:22.5
    27 3:32.5
    Total Distance: 26.5miles

I can honestly say I was shocked at how I felt as I ran it. I felt so strong. The FIRST time I felt I was in trouble as at the end of mile 21. I started to slow down. As you can see I slowed down on mile 21/22/23 from my splits.
    At mile 22, just before that AWFUL hill. I dropped to walking. It hurt to drop to walking. My legs were a bit shaky. I was mad at myself for dropping to walking but something just snapped in my head. To go from feeling so strong to just ‘NO!’ it was zero to 60. I just took one look at that hill and went NO. I can’t take this. My legs will buckle!

I remember this being a very lonely part of the course. Not many supporters around. I felt low. Panic started to set in and doubt. Oh no I can’t finish this running. I’ll have to walk FOUR MILES!? I felt tears could be on the cards next if I didn’t sort myself out fast.

I spotted someone holding a sign. I remember staring at it for a few seconds and then making eye contact… it was DG. You could not have been in a better position! I was in the middle of having this massive conversation with myself in my head. She put her arms out and gave me a big massive hug. It was EXACTLY what I needed. She told me to ‘get up that hill and keep running!’. I remember nodding and being like YEAH! In my head. Thanked DG and tried to go back to trotting again. Hill was way too killer for my legs at this point. After dropping to walking moments before that, it just wasn’t happening. So walked up the steep part of the hill. Once I got the worst of it over. I went back running – very slowly, but I was back running at least.

A problem I had for a lot of the marathon was that I felt like I was going to throw up. Took a gel at mile 5 and 13. Also drank a Lucozade slowly across a mile or two. The plan was to have a third and final gel to get me through the last few miles but I quite honestly felt very sick. As in, I really thought I was in trouble going to throw up. I couldn’t stomach the third one. This probably didn’t help the crash I had at mile 21. Not sure why this happened, I had practicised with gels but I think it was just nerves? A gorgeous little girl handed me a jelly baby. I took it out of politeness but was nervous to take it when my stomach was dodgy – I took a chance though and had to spit it out. It nearly made me gag. My stomach was VERY temperamental that day. An eldery man had those hard glucose sweets just after the horrible hill. I actually took one and that was something I could handle. I think it distracted me a little and I kind of told myself it was a super sweet. Made me forget the nausea!

Across the route, I saw some people really struggling. I tried to help as much as possible, and even got a few people towards the end who had dropped to walking to come along with me. I just said ‘don’t give up now you’re nearly there – run with me’ as I passed. Some were able to start running again behind me but some were in too much pain.

The supporters were AMAZING throughout the course. But it was the chants of those in the last few miles that REALLY got me through:

After the horrible hill at mile 22: ‘You’re there now. You have the bad part of the course done!’
    Approx Mile 23:‘Well done lads, time to go home now. Off on home now keep going’
    Approx Mile 25: ‘Most people are still in bed and you’ve just run a marathon!’

Random strangers screaming your name just as though they know you well and CARE about you. It was incredible.

Loads of women pointed me out several times on commented on me ‘doing it for the girls’. At one point I was positioned by a pack of men (I’m really short and no doubt looked ridiclious next to them!) and a gang of women supporters called out my name and encouraged me to pass them. It was just amazing stuff – from strangers!!!

One of the comments that really made me feel proud was when I was running really strong in the last mile or so. A man was clapping like crazy and shouted to me: ‘WOW look at this young girl, nice and strong finish, you’re absolutely brilliant’. I was happier than a 5 year old child being praised by my parents! I felt so special.

Aside from DG, I was cheered on/recognised by people I knew 3 times. Each time was amazing and I somehow found the strength to shout and wave like crazy back at them.

In the last mile or mile 24, the 4 hr pacers passed me. That was surreal – brought it all home in a way. I was expecting 4 hr 30mins realistically. (On reflection in another post last night I had a different attitude but even after writing this up and reliving it all again, I realise I’m pretty stupid to be even slightly annoyed about that).

I then LAUGH-CRIED, yes, LAUGH-CRIED! the last .5 miles of the marathon. ‘Oh my god, I’m actually doing it’ ‘is this real?’ ‘’my legs are still going, I’m doing it!’. I tried to take it all in. I was looking around at the crowds, I was looking at the people running next to me and smiling over at them with tears in my eyes and laughing my head off at the same time. Bonding with strangers. I didn’t want that half mile to end. I could have ran and ran with that feeling I was experiencing. Passed the line, wow, just wow. I was in shock. I didn’t react too much. I didn’t burst into tears like I had imagined for months. I mean I cried the first time I did a 20mile LSR and I wasn’t crying now. I was in shock – 100%. I walked on and there was a slight queue for medal – just for a few seconds so I went from running to walking before coming to a complete hault in a very short space of time. This HURT! As soon as I got my medal I tried to stretch right away. Went to the side and tried to squat a few times and stretch it out.

Then went to get my finisher top. That was SO cool. As cheesy as it sounds, it was a moment I was looking forward to for months. I never thought I’d ever own a marathon finisher top. I love the design it’s so cool. I threw my own top off right away and put this on. We all then hobbled out slowly like a limping army of John Waynes.

While waiting to meet up with my friends/family I got absolutely soaked. As mentioned I had a cough and cold and felt miserable. Got my northface coat on but I was still shivering so we made the decision I should go right home, have a shower and come back in. I had always planned on coming out for a drink after - I wanted to meet you all in McGs. But after the shower I put on my PJs and actually ended up having a nap! The exhaustion hit me. As excited and happy I was, the exhaustion that was building up hit me. I hadn’t slept great all week with my head cold/coughing and the night before the nerves got to me.

Really disappointed I didn’t get to see you all but think I made the right decision.

I thought I’d be starving after the marathon. I struggled to eat that day. Yesterday and today have been pretty much the same. Really poor appetite. Is this normal?

Training and running for this marathon has been a life changing experience. I have learned so much about myself and my abilities. It was simply beautiful to see the kindness and solidarity shown from supporters and runners alike. I’m on cloud nine. I don’t think this feeling will go anytime soon.
    Also the volunteers are absolutely AMAZING and applaud them on being part of a very well organised unit. Everyone was so nice and helpful.

@ Frash, love the writeup,

"Tempo runs. Fartlek runs. Strides - all things that I don't really know what they are but things that I read about people on the boards plan doing."

:D:D:D

Well done on the fundraising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Dublin City Marathon 2015 race report

Time: 4:12:54 (Target 4:05)
    Distance: 26.2miles (26.57 on my GPS)
    Avg overall pace: 9:39min/mi
    Avg heartrate 168bpm (lost signal on monitor twice for a few mins so when it returned it took a few mins to get back to normal but my true average was probably in the early 170s.)

The night before
    Having been to the expo on Saturday I travelled back to my parents place in Laois that night, got a good night’s sleep of 7-8 hours and took it very handy on the Sunday. Grand Sunday roast with a few extra Yorkshire puddings for the carbs! Myself and my wife travelled up from Laois around 5pm on Sunday and arrived at our hotel (Stillorgan Park Hotel) around 6:30pm. Once in the room I unpacked all my gear to get it ready for the morning and also did a few little jobs like putting on hypafix on the nips (works a charm to avoid chaffing), pace bands and shaving to save myself a few mins in the morning. Like a good country fella also ate some prepacked ham sandwiches my mother had kindly prepped. I had notions in my head of getting food poisoning so had decided to avoid eating out anywhere that evening. Hence the sandwiches!
    Last bit of planning there with my wife as to where I would see her and how she would get around with the public transport restrictions and her probably reasonable unwillingness to try drive in the city centre on DCM day! Went for a short walk then to stretch the legs. Booked a taxi for 7:15am the next morning to drop me into town. Bed then at 10pm.

DCM day
    Awoke at 2:30am, disappointed to wake so early but also happy to have slept for longer than I would have expected. Dozed but never fully went back asleep for a few more hours then before getting up at 6am. Sure it was Christmas Day for me!
    Got on all my gear, ate my normal breakfast and started sipping on a High 5 sports drink that I had used before two of the LSRs. Just gets more carbs in before the off. Always been concerned about the whole wall thing so wanted to try avoid it. Was running with a gel belt which had 3 High 5 isogels on it, also had 3 more in my pocket. Two packs of Cliff Shot bloks, two High 5 tabs and spare shoe laces (more OCD behaviour but I managed to curb it to one lace!)
    Left the hotel on schedule in my taxi and he dropped me at the corner of Fitzwilliam St and Leeson St. Walked down the canal then towards Mount St to walk into Merrion Sq. I was there stupidly early but it being my first time for this craic I wanted to stay as calm as possible with no hassles.
    Dropped my bag in around 7:45am and met some clubmates. Chatted with them for a few mins and got a few pics. Stood admiring the hero (and they really are) pacers for a bit and chatting briefly with who I found out later in the pub were MarthaStew and MrStew. Told them my strategy of starting ahead of the 4:10 pacers and maybe catching them if I had a super race!

Started heading down into my starting area for Wave 2 around 8:25am, second use of the toilets on the way down and discarded my cheap tracksuit bottoms. After that I walked out to the street parallel to the starting pen and started a warm up with a few 100 meters run and dynamic stretches. Another toilet visit of course then, had just finished my sports drink so that was approx 750ml liquids drank since 6am.
    Listened to the national anthem and watched the wheel chair race starting before one last warmup jog…guessing this is where you spotted me nop!
    Discarded my fine green 5 euro penney’s hoodie before getting into the pen and got my spot to watch the Wave 1 start. Pretty cool seeing some of my clubmates on the big screen go by.
    Then the Wave 2er’s were instructed out onto Fitzwilliam St for the start, took advantage of the 100’s of fellas having a lash splash before the dash alongside Fitzwilliam Sq and did so myself.
    Finally then into proper starting position, the horn went off and away we went. As I crossed the startline I actually celebrated properly, just had a brief thought about what I was actually doing here starting a marathon and where I have come from to get to this point in my life….the roads literally travelled since training began in June. I was properly delighted to be there and at that point I just said to myself to savour this!

Into the race itself

Mile 1-3 (9:33, 9:13, 9:31)
    Right within the first mile I got a tap on the shoulder and a “Hey Diego”, turned to the left to see Neil. Amazed to see someone I knew and between the pair of us we were happy running at the pace we were at so ran together. First 3 miles just flew to be honest, was glad with how quickly the race spread out a bit and felt I settled into a pace comfortably enough. Bridge St felt quick but held back there not to let the legs go too fast. Up through Blackhall, through Stoneybatter, NCR and into the park. Was enjoyed the crowds and thinking this is fair cool. Took a bottle of water at the first drinks station in Stoneybatter but only took a sip before discarding it. We passed an army fella in full gear, pack and boots (had he done his LSRs in those now I wonder) and said fairplay to him.

Mile 4-6 (9:02, 9:11, 9:04)
    10K – 58:25, 9:25min/mi (7792 position)
    Out onto Chesterfield Avenue and there I spotted my wife on the right hand side near the Cricket grounds, had a wave and a cheer and kept tipping along. Had been worried about Chesterfield Ave with the wind when prepping for the race but it zipped on by. Passed that guy in the green robes and bare feet and was going wow. Funny moment when a runner in front of us slowed a slight bit to through his water bottle off to the side and he almost took out a Garda (Mario Kart style Neil joked) who was running as well. We had a good joke over that and the garda said me and Neil were witnesses…I said did he want to take the statement now. I also attempted a basket ball style shot into a bin with a bottle and rimmed it….got a good laugh out of the crowd standing nearby who slagged me. Took my first gel at 5 miles as planned.

Mile 7-9 (9:08, 8:52, 9:09)
    Into Castleknock and the first time we got to experience one of the real crowds of DCM. Unreal to be honest. I think it was here that I first had people start calling my name proper. I had my real name on the front of my top in quite large print and was getting called and cheered a lot. It was a huge boost later in the race to be honest. I joked with Neil that this must be what it’s like to be David Beckham (me and him share the same first name, and also a love of United but that’s it!).
    Bit of a climb in mile 7 so watched that and then the drop in mile 8 so pace was pretty good and effort felt grand. Mile 9 took down some of the hills in the Park, had a laugh at the girl dressed as a reindeer who was cheering saying Merry Christmas.

Mile 10-12(9:05, 9:20, 9:05)
    Mile 10 took us into Ballyfermot, seriously nuts crowds here and more walls of noise. Each time I turned a corner in the race like this it was like a rocket with the push it would give you. Just amazing.
    Took a gel in mile 10 as planned as well.
    The hill in mile 11 was not too bad, took a good bit of work but watched the effort to keep it nice and steady. Got a good laugh out of the fella with the “Chuck Norris hasn’t run a marathon yet” sign. I pointed at him to catch his eye and give him a wave.
    As we came into Kilmainham I had some friends on the opposite side of the jail there, they took a nice picture of myself and Neil there. Highfived them and away we went. I also met a friend from work as well who had some prepared High 5 zero drink for me so I took that off him and kept it with me for the next two miles or so getting through a good lot of the 500mls.

Mile 13-15 (9:11, 9:28, 9:33)
    Halfway – 2:02:02, 9:14min/mi (7565 position)
    The turn at Dolphin’s Barn caught me with the emotions a bit for personal reasons, my sister’s son was born in the Coombe a few years back and lived for just 5 days so I always think of him when around there.
    The run out to Crumlin was not too bad, with the wind as I had expected worse so just kept tipping away. Neil had started to pull ahead a bit of me then but I was just holding steady enough as it was. Went through the halfway point nearly 30 seconds below target so was very happy with that. I did think that I am starting to feel this a bit and expected I might start to slow a bit now but I did remember that my real Goal A with this was to run the marathon so to ensure that I could do that. Noticed a lot of people starting to walk but had said that I was gonna to try it all as best I could.
    I do remember thinking at around mile 14 that crikey we have another 12m miles to go yet! Also felt my knee a small bit but nothing bad and it held together for the rest of the race.
    Great crowds all the way out towards Walkinstown and I had one of those Tour De France type feelings with the crowds so close as we turned the roundabout.
    Took another gel around mile 15 as planned as well.

Mile 16-18 (9:34, 9:47, 9:50)
    30K – 2:56:56, 9:53min/mi (7328 position)
    Really started to feel it now to be honest and could feel my pace dropping a bit, felt really exposed here with wide roads and the wind was finally starting to be felt. I was confident but just focused on getting to mile 19 where I would see my wife again (I really hoped she would be there) and also another friend from work was going to be at mile 20 with some supplies. Just kept trucking along and took in the support that was around. Little kids and stewards calling out my name really helped a lot to be honest. I tried to acknowledge everyone with either a wave, a thumbs up or a thanks.

Mile 19-21 (10:03, 9:35, 9:39)
    Mile 19 I had to stop for one second to adjust the tongue on my left runner, it’s a weird thing with this particular pair of runners that I’ve had before in the odd LSR but I did have it in my last half marathon in Dingle. I think the ankle lock lacing drives the tongue down a bit so puts pressure on the foot. In Dingle I had to stop for a sec to fix it and the same here. I hate stopped but it only cost a few seconds and fixed the issue straight away. Just then I spotted my little wife (for those of you that met her in McGrattans, she is very small but she’s mine) and that gave me a great boost. She asked was I okay and I said I was. Picked up the pace a bit then. Mile 20 just outside Wild Green in Milltown I met my friend for work. She had some prepared High 5 zero for me as well. Had asked her to have a little bag with some fig rolls for me and she did. I scoffed one straight away instead of taking the scheduled gel and whilst it was so dry it went down well with some good chewing as I powered up the hill in Milltown.

Mile 22-24 (10:12, 10:16, 10:00)
    Into Clonskeagh now, I had run this route twice…once with a mate doing the last 6 miles of the course back in August and the second time with my fellow novices on the 20 mile LSR we did together in September. Felt familiar with it but the general incline of the area is quite hard I find.
    I was starting to really feel it now and I heard someone say something about the 4:10s. That was it I knew the 4:10 pacers were coming up behind me, I started to think could I stay with them but I worked out in my head those guys have gained 3 mins on me since the halfway point and if I tried to with them I still had almost 5 miles to go and probably asking for trouble. They passed me and I said feck it just keep going as you are. Then I spotted a mate from work who lives in the area but I didn’t know he was going to be out so I called his name when I saw him and him and his wife cheered me back. That was such a huge boost to be honest. With that we turned onto Roebuck Road and I was delighted to spot Dubgal and her sign (had never met her before). I couldn’t actually muster any words, too much emotion/affection for what she had done for us for her but I pointed at her and she saw me and I pointed at the name on my chest and I think she recognised me. I think I might have winked at her as well. Again another huge boost and I did smile at the sign!
    A lot of people were walking up the hill then in the next half a mile but I said no way, really started coaching myself her a bit with asked how do I feel. Said I feel tired but that’s okay keep going, just asked myself can you stay running and I kept answering myself that I could. I thought I might pick up some pace going down Foster’s Avenue but I didn’t really. I just kept an eye on the effort as I had been doing all race to ensure I could keep going. As we turned onto the Stillorgan Road I saw the LauraLynn team and gave them a wave, I have raised a nice bit for the charity with my first marathon and proud of that nice side effect to all this.
    I took another gel at 23 miles or so knowing that whilst it might take 20mins to kick in it would help in the last mile. My stomach felt it could take one more gel so popped it.
    Remembered going up the UCD flyover and hearing someone shout at someone to use their arms and I thought that’s the job alright so started to pump mine a bit more and felt it helped. Going across that UCD flyover I remembered the comment from here that it’s just a parkrun from there and I also started visually my most commonly run 3 mile route at home and doing little mental checkpoints for each mile after that with where I would at home….starting thinking 30mins or so to go. I have ran 5Ks/3miles so many times over the last few years that I feel no matter what I can do that, this was going to be my hardest to date but convinced myself that I could do it….all I needed to do was keep the legs moving. There was no way I was going to stop to walk at this point.

Mile 25-Finish (10:19, 10:02)
    Coming into Ballsbridge was great, spotted a work colleague on the left as went near the RDS…great boost. Another workmate around AIB standing right in the middle of a traffic island…complete surprise that one and a big boost! Felt a little ripple from my Achilles through to my calf and thought oh oh, keep running.
    On the home straight now and spotted an old school friend on the left hand side, I could only wave at this last 3 well wishers as I couldn’t actually talk for some reason, I was just focused on keeping running and talking was not part of that. My next target was get to the schoolhouse pub where was to be the final place I would see my wife (this is the actually the first place I ever saw her 10.5 years ago!). The crowds were really starting to build at this point and the noise as well, I actually had a brief thought then I could walk this to savour it as I was never going to get it back again but said hell no run this thing out so picked up whatever pace I could. I was watching to the right where I thought I would see my wife but couldn’t spot her…figured I had missed her with the crowds but no matter. Passed that poor lady on the ground but she was being well attended to then. Crossing Mount St bridge I could see the finish gantry and started thinking oh holy f I am going to do this. Started celebrating almost straight away, but still a good bit to go. Ran for another minute or two but yet that finish line seemed far away. Just said keep going at this point but was really enjoying it now despite the tiredness. Loads cheering my name and funnily enough a fella ran beside me for a second and he said he didn’t know if they were cheering me or him. His name was David too! We both laughed and shook hands! Felt one last rippled from my Achilles into my calf but just said feck it and run to the line. Gave it whatever I had left and celebrated as best I could going over the line.

Gun Time – 4:13:51, 10:04min/mi (6772 position), Chip Time 4:12:54 (6782 position)
    AAI National Championships 221/1726…pretty chuffed with that little ranking!

Post race
    Got my medal, t-shirt…posed for a picture for one of the official photographers and then caught up with clubmates over the phone to see how they got on. Texting my mother and father and spoke to my wife over the phone. Took a while to meet up with her then but around 2pm or so we slowly walked to McGrattan’s to meet the rest of the novices. Couldn’t wait to hear how they get on.
    A nice few hours were spent there and it was great to finally meet Dubgal properly and put faces to the usernames I had not yet met and met up again with the few I had. Sharing stories from the day! Even got to chat with Eliud Too then as well which was so class!

Epilogue
    Being part of this thread, like running has been just such a positive thing for me. The shared experiences here meant I never felt alone or silly with what I was trying to do here attempting my first marathon.
    As I said to you Dubgal, it really meant a lot to have you as a guiding light, to have someone who genuinely cared and offered so much of her time to help us along was such a special thing to do. As far as I know every single person who was part of this thread that lined up to the start the race on Monday completed it. That is something you and the others helper mentors should be very proud of helping us to achieve, there will never be enough thanks from me for helping give me one of the most special days of my life.

I can’t thank you all enough for everything. Every post has helped me – more than words can possibly express. This has been an amazing journey. I run alone and to have this little outlet was very important.

DG – thank you so much. Not only have you been incredible in helping us all along, you’re a lovely person. So full of genuine kindness and support to us all. You have an amazing memory. I was chuffed you even remembered me when I passed you.(I had only met DG once before after the HM) A friendly face, a smile, a hug and ‘GET UP THAT HILL’ was just what I needed.

• Advertisement

Honestly, I would wait at least a month before singing up for another race, especially a marathon. I see a lot of people get sucked onto the treadmill of Dublin marathon/spring marathon/Dublin marathon/spring marathon...
    They spend all their time recovering from one marathon or training for the next

Marathons are great, but if you want to improve as a runner, you should work on shorter distances too. (look at Krusty for a great example of this). Lots of people think they can never be any more than a slow runner - but lots of people think they could never run a marathon!

Thank you. Very sensible advice. I was speaking to TFGR at the HM and she already put that plan in my head - to improve my times in other distances.

I feel like a drug addict. I want to look forward to getting that high of a marathon again.

I need to get a plan in place of what's next because I'm getting itchy already to do something else. I'm going crazy 'resting' this week already!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Congrats to all of you who made it to the start line and double to all those who made it to the finish. Regardless of whether you reached your goal time, it's a massive achievement and you should be duly proud of yourselves. It's been great lurking around here the last couple of weeks and watching you all build up to it and then finally go out there and get your medals.

Pretty inspiring stuff too, it's hard not to get caught up in the sense of occasion. I never had any desire to run a marathon, but I can't deny there may have been a little seed planted. Let's see if it germinates...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Still getting caught up with the reports. Hadn't thanked any of them so I'd know which ones I needed to read, am thanking them now!

But wanted to highlight this:
    Then I started questioning why I was putting myself under such pressure, this was meant to be a good thing to do, an enjoyable thing (to a point!), a day to remember - not a day for beating yourself up. Running 26.2 miles will beat you up enough as it is.

Wise words, mate. Will be printing this and keeping it for next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

JMSE wrote: »
    * Being part of the Dunboyne club gave me huge support, both from runners as they passed me by, and the crew around the course

:pac: no way!!! how did I not know this before now? *goes off to investigate, did you come to bradys afterwards?

slowly working my way through the reports, they are just fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Started running last August and couldn't run 1k without stopping.
    Did a 5k in September and ran my first 10k less than a year ago in November. Perfect preparation for my debut DCM this year!!
    Two half's this year in Wexford in April and DCH in September so had no idea what to expect but stuck to the plan and with great support from friends, family and this thread made it to the start line on Monday.
    Went out with the 4.10 pacers and found myself ahead of them in the Pheonix Park so carried on at my own pace.
    Tough after mile 14/15 put didn't stop once and pushed myself through and had a 2m negative split.
    Crowds were unbelievable and a huge part of the experience.
    Unexpectedly got a huge lift powering up Roebuck Hill - with a fair amount of shouting and wooping. (quick hello to DG on the way:)) and the last 4 miles were tough
    But finished at 4:04:55 so I was very happy.
    Thanks to all involved in this thread and congratulations to all who ran on Monday. It feels great to have been part of it but..... I'm going to train harder and strive for better next year :)

What about those outdoor urinals !!? You wouldnt be caught dead near one of a Thursday mornin on your way to work would ya :D

Firedance wrote: »
    :pac: no way!!! how did I not know this before now? *goes off to investigate, did you come to bradys afterwards?

slowly working my way through the reports, they are just fantastic :)

Ah Firedance I figured you out about a year ago, you ran the Dunshaughlin 10k, often mentioned Dunboyne AC in your posts, it added up :o

Wasnt in Bradys, was up at 6.15 yesterday morn, didnt know about it tbh anyway but dont think I'd have been up for it. You mightnt know me, if track nights were school, I'd have been expelled long ago for lack of attendance :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

I am absolutely loving reliving the marathon through reading all of your race reports!!! So delighted that you all had such positive outcomes :)

Ok so here is my race report....

The Start

I arrived in the city with enough time to not be rushed but not too much time either, about 8.10. Went for a final wee, dropped my bag and headed to my wave. Chit chatted with a few people and did a few loosening exercises until before I knew it, we were off. I discarded a cheap old rain coat just before we started and then another long sleeve top at about Christchurch as I knew it was important to stay dry as long as possible but at the same time not overheat. I was very comfortable for the first 5 miles and just took in all the supporters and the different parts of town as we ran through them. Thoroughly enjoyed the first part and felt very positive.

The Second Part

This was the worse part of the whole marathon. As we were running up Chesterfield Avenue I got a twinge in my right hip which worried me and by the time we were entering Castleknock village I could feel it a bit in the other one too. WTF??? I run much further than this all the time at a faster pace with no bother and now in the middle of my debut marathon my hips decide to go all twingey. NO fecking way! So i remembered what Dubgal said about identifying parts of my body with pain and accepting it. It wasn’t really sore at this point but I was concerned about how it would be in 15+ miles!!! Thankfully the worry of the pain that was probably going to come was worse than what actually came but there was definite doubt as to whether I would finish the marathon and it threw me a bit to have this doubt so early on. In fact as I crossed the halfway point, I considered giving up because I knew I wasn’t too far from home at that point!

The Third Part

The third part was just a lot of wind in my face and I really went into my own little zone as I just kept lifting each foot, one in front of the other. Found that taking gels was occupying my mind so I spent a lot of it sipping on a gel or planning my next one and then sipping water and planning the next water station. Pain in hips was still there but I was managing it. Quite uneventful for this part of the marathon.

The Last Part

If I was to describe most of the last part in one word, it would be ‘autopilot.’ My legs just kept going, one in front of the other. My body hurt but I knew at this point that I would finish the marathon without stopping, however I was afraid to try and push my pace up at all as I felt like my pelvis might seize up if I put it under more pressure. Lot’s of support as I ran through Milltown, was delighted when I saw Dubgal at ‘Heartbreak Hill’ which wasn’t that bad at all and then before i knew it I was on the home stretch past Nutley Lane. When I finally reached the last few hundred metres, I was delighted and even seem to be smiling in the awful finisher photos!!! Love the finisher top and medal is pretty cool too. If I am doing another DCM, I would organise myself better as I think I walked an extra 4 or 5 miles after the marathon trying to figure out how to get to my husband and him to me. Then when I finally met him, I sent him off to Mc. Donalds with the kids and spent another while walking around looking for McGrattans (despite Singers very accurate map). It was great to see lot's of you there but by the time I got there and stopped moving, I just wanted to go home and have a nice bath so didn't stay around too long.

Goal Planning

When I initially decided to do DCM, my goal was just to finish. Then it was to finish it comfortably. Next it was to finish under 5 hours. This quickly became finish under 4 hours and before i knew it I was actually considering going out with the 3.30 pacer!!! I think that if everything had went exactly to plan (sure when does that ever really happen) that 3.30 would have been a real possibility but I was definitely right to drop to the 3.40 pacer given that I missed about 20 - 30% of my training because of a chest infection, had a week on antibiotics, a week on steroids, didn’t do enough core strength work and the weather on the day, not to mention my hips deciding to act up on the day.

What went well for me

I slept well enough the two nights before the marathon (keep in mind that I’m a mother three kids so 6 hours with only 1 disturbance to put soother in, etc is considered sleeping well).
    I was very relaxed all weekend and on the morning of the marathon (I had been very nervous about the Dublin Half so I thought I would be nervous for the real thing? - possibly knowing that the pace was very manageable to me and the test here was to just keep going).
    I enjoyed my breakfast and digestive system felt well.
    I stayed warm and dry until the very start and wasn’t too long waiting at the start line.
    Gels seemed to really agree with me, including caffeine gels which really gave me a boost.
    I saw lot’s of people I knew at lot’s of different points of the course and it gave me a great boost.

What didn’t go well for me

On review of my training, I only completed 70% of the plan as I was sick for the few weeks where I should have been at the peak of my training and this meant I only had three runs above 15 miles (1x17, 1x19 and 1x20).
    The weather was dreary and damp which wasn’t great given I’m just over a bad chest infection and it didn’t feel like my lungs were getting a bit chesty towards the end, however, breeze was welcome at times and possibly not bad weather overall for a marathon, especially when I hear stories of 2014. It made mile 13 -17 (ish) quite tough.
    Both hips started hurting around mile 6?? I wasn’t expecting to have to deal with pain so early on and psychologically I struggled from early on because of this, wondering how bad it was going to get...
    Also, my socks/runners caused lots of blisters between toes and was really sore by mile 22!

In a Nutshell...

Many people have said running a marathon is like childbirth, you need to go through it to understand it. To be honest this sentence really worried me! I agree that you do need to go through it to understand it but pain wise I would compare it to the latter stages of pregnancy (with twins) and not childbirth (phew). The body is sore but you just keep going because a) the finish is worth it and b) if you stop, you will still need to walk all the way from somewhere on the southside to wherever your family/friends can meet you and with all the road closures, it’s probably easier to just keep running.

Having now done the marathon, I would have to agree more so with the people that told me to wait another year. I was very lucky that my body mostly held up but really it would have been a much more enjoyable experience if I had of waited until my core in particular was stronger.

Overall, my first marathon was a very positive experience. It was tough but I expected that. I had very consistent splits, with an average 8.28 per mile and I’m very happy with my time of 3.41.51, especially as my first. The way I see it, the next marathon will be easier because although I plan to be faster, the effort level will be the same, the hips will be stronger and it should be over quicker!

Looking forward to getting back to shorter stuff for a while but I will most definitely be back for another DCM in the future :D

Hopefully see lot's of you at Jingle bells :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I never saw the previous incarnations of this thread so this has been a revelation.

I hope each and every one of you is proud of what you've achieved and to Dubgal (and other contributing mentors) I hope you feel proud of the role you've played in getting so many people to the starting line and to the finishing line.

It's been one of the few things you can use the word 'heartwarming' about.

Yizzer (genuinely) all brilliant. Thank you for inspiring people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Pink, your race report had me in tears. I'm so proud of you, gosh darn it girl you are amazing! Well done, you!!

Advertisement