Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

duffer247 wrote: »
    Hi All
    I've given the thread a wide berth until now to gather my thoughts a bit. Feeling really great, that kind of no buts or caveats greatness. The last 3 or 4 days have just reminded me of how "events" (appropos MacMillian) can shape your life. Everything is so normalised these days but this period has been the exact opposite, full of anxious, nervous excitement and in a good way! Sometimes it feels like I'm living my life on the sidelines, getting excited when Bord Gais send me a voucher twice by accident when I switched my gas and electricity! Not so now! It just feels good to be part of something bigger and meaningful, well done everybody.

I got the video from Asics, it's series of short clips, as I was in the 4.30 group anyone else in that group will see themselves too. You have to watch a 30sec Asics ad at the start too
    http://www.asics.com/ie/en-ie/marathon/videos?r=13337&e=DM15M&n=Karl+Duff&ct_s1=09:20:43&nt_f=04:31:00&ct_f=13:51:03&ct_s2=10:24:19&ct_s3=11:34:59&ct_s4=12:32:36&k=commercial&ks=112540799&b=720p&l=EN&gotostream=false
    Race report to follow.

That video is great caught myself a few times PJD you appear all the time you can't miss that big writing PAUL on your tshirt great shots of Toulouse and Leeanne too. Thanks for that Duffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mrs. Mc, you can change the bib number in the URL and it should focus on you a bit more, especially the finish part. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

OK just to throw in my tuppence worth - first timer started originally with a goal of getting to the starting line, finishing under 4 hours and also to support my girlfriend in her training pursuits. Can gladly tick all those boxes now.

Parts of the race itself are a bit of a blur. I set off with the 3.40 pacers as per my conservative goal after taking advice on this forum of doubling my Sept 1/2 time + 20 mins. Lost the pacers in the early congestion but kept all the invaluable nuggets of wisdom in mind & did not panic or weave to chase. Caught them in the park and relaxed into it although my head was trying to make sense of why the 3 balloons were so spaced out & was I really going to make my time staying with the last guy ( you'd almost have yourself believing the first balloon was half an hour ahead of the 3rd!). Superb support in coming into Castleknock & departing so sailed up the hill after Myos effortlessly. One of the balloons blew up going down Tower Rd which was funny. Still quite congested around there & as a fellow runner noted it felt really warm. Don't recall a huge amount in the 2nd trip in the park then into Chapelizod which had a cracking atmosphere on the turn onto the dreaded St Lawrence Rd well the dreaded hill at the end. Steep climb but over it & onto Sarsfield Rd where I saw a runner walking back down the hill so my heart went out to him.

Kilmainham Gaol & Sth Circular seemed to flash past and found myself crossing Dolphins Barn onto Crumlin Rd in no time - crowds were awesome here & almost on top of you which was cool. Didn't find that stretch as bad or windy as expected & good atmosphere around the hospital then onto Walkinstown, Cromwellsforth and Kimmage Road. This particular stretch seemed to go on forever and nothing memorable here for me anyway barring another pacer balloon popping and the fact it felt very blustery in a swirl more so than head wind...tried following advice on here of rowing in behind the closest big guy. Found myself around Terenue College and still alongside the 3.40 pacers - saw couple I know who were out to support others but was nice to see familiar faces. Steady through Terenue, Rathgar and felt confident enough to push past the pacers on Orwell Park so headed for Milltown ahead of them and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere around there and up the hill towards Clonskeagh Rd which had another great corner of noise on the bend. Garmin suggested that my pace started to flag a little on this stretch and towards Roebuck but still feeling good. Passed Dubgal at her advised location and took her sign's advice and gave her a big smile and a thumbs up!

All good good until I tackled Roebuck Hill which almost turned into Heartbreak Hill for me. I read so much about it and ran it twice in my trainings so knew myself it's actually not that bad alas not even half way up it my hamstring started to cramp badly so I hobbled onto the footpath with zero grace. I tried straightening a few times to ease the pain but kept going into spasms. My heart sank as the 3.40 pacers passed me out again and I cursed myself for ever leaving them. I had a knight in shining armour who ran down to me and started massaging my leg. I'm sure I'll never come across this guy again in my life but I will be forever grateful for his instinctive act of goodwill as he undoubtedly set me back on my way. I eased back up the hill and down Fosters Avenue conservatively to stem the cramp from returning. The Stillorgan dual carriageway wasn't pretty but made it onto Nutley Lane in one piece then for the seemingly never ending Merrion Road. The crowds were awesome but it felt like I was running in a silent vacuum or something. It was sheer determination that kept me going and I still had 3.40 in my head. My arm starting cramping just beyond the RDS but that wasn't going to deter me. Gave myself a good talking to when I saw the finish line on the horizon and ramped up the pace again hoping the legs could take it and take it they did as I fist pumped my way over the finish line @ 3.39:57.

The feeling was incredible and like everyone else here just can't find the words to do it justice. I'm one of the least emotional people you'll meet but I hung over a barrier and wiped some tears away. The t-shirt is great and I can relate to every single one of those buzzwords. I generally hate post-race medals as they seem to be thrown out like confetti these days for every mickey mouse race but this one I will cherish forever as it was hard earned. I slowly made my way around to meet family and had hoped to go back to the home stretch to catch my partner crossing the finish but just met her at the baggage area. Delighted for her also a first timer from a non sporting background and hit a cracking time of 4.27.

Would I run another - I think I would though I wasn't saying that on mile 23! Would like to be better prepared next time as my Gaelic commitments ate into the earlier part of my training plan. I need to assess as well why I cramped so badly towards the end and was it diet related or lack of endurance due to aforementioned plan deviation. Fuelling strategy was probably quite similar to most people on here...porridge @ 6.30 and a bagel before grabbed taxi. Also had 750 ml of the High 5 sports zero drink (2 tablets). Took some wine gums on mile 2 (hadn't planned to but felt sort of peckish), gel on mile 5 another on 9, another around 14 I think then another somewhere between 17-18...think I may have popped another on 21. Took water at most stations and lucozade in Chapelizod which I carried and sipped for a while. Had another lucozade after the half way point but didn't drink much of it. Some more wine gums too somewhere in between (again a blur). Definitely feel like I had more than enough fuel on board maybe almost too much as felt a little sickly when standing around at the end.

It's been an incredible journey and hasn't quite sunk it yet that it's over and that I've nailed it. Absolutely bowled over by the goodwill of people out there and here's hoping we're all back in a year's time to give it another lash. A spa weekend awaits my lady and I. Lap up the adoration everybody as you've earned it. Thanks so much to everybody who contributed to this wonderful forum and helped us all achieve our goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

duffer247 wrote: »
    Hi All
    I've given the thread a wide berth until now to gather my thoughts a bit. Feeling really great, that kind of no buts or caveats greatness. The last 3 or 4 days have just reminded me of how "events" (appropos MacMillian) can shape your life. Everything is so normalised these days but this period has been the exact opposite, full of anxious, nervous excitement and in a good way! Sometimes it feels like I'm living my life on the sidelines, getting excited when Bord Gais send me a voucher twice by accident when I switched my gas and electricity! Not so now! It just feels good to be part of something bigger and meaningful, well done everybody.

I got the video from Asics, it's series of short clips, as I was in the 4.30 group anyone else in that group will see themselves too. You have to watch a 30sec Asics ad at the start too
    http://www.asics.com/ie/en-ie/marathon/videos?r=13337&e=DM15M&n=Karl+Duff&ct_s1=09:20:43&nt_f=04:31:00&ct_f=13:51:03&ct_s2=10:24:19&ct_s3=11:34:59&ct_s4=12:32:36&k=commercial&ks=112540799&b=720p&l=EN&gotostream=false
    Race report to follow.

That's cool Karl. How deadly.
    Not so keen now to be pacer with those balloons. I'd be gone like Mary Poppins.

Pictures are up. Mine are actually pretty good! Tempted now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Can't keep up with these reports as I'm back in work, I also hadn't realised how many stairs I climb in work too.
    Glass of wine and reports tonight for Gillo:D

Just to let you know finisherpix has started uploading photos. It's debatable whether or not they are worth the money, but if anyone's debating, I did buy the ones from the half and the quality is great. (It also helped on tinder!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Gillo wrote: »
    Can't keep up with these reports as I'm back in work, I also hadn't realised how many stairs I climb in work too.
    Glass of wine and reports tonight for Gillo:D

Just to let you know finisherpix has started uploading photos. It's debatable whether or not they are worth the money, but if anyone's debating, I did buy the ones from the half and the quality is great. (It also helped on tinder!).

Oooh fab idea!! Mind if I steal it?!

As for the photos, they're not for me. I can barely manage to look in a mirror without cringing! Although, the friend who surprised me at mile 18 surprised me doubly by taking a photo of me that I actually liked. But no, the medal (and the t-shirt once I get it) are enough of a memento for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Peter D61

chrislad wrote: »
    Pictures are up. Mine are actually pretty good! Tempted now!

I've just ordered mine, after all it was my first time. It can never happen again.

Peter D61 wrote: »
    I've just ordered mine, after all it was my first time. It can never happen again.

I'll probably get them too. There's a good few of them, and I'm actually happy that I don't look like crap in 90% of them. Made the attempt to both smile and be positive when I saw a camera and NOT to touch my watch until I was well over the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

As for the photos, they're not for me. I can barely manage to look in a mirror without cringing! Although, the friend who surprised me at mile 18 surprised me doubly by taking a photo of me that I actually liked. But no, the medal (and the t-shirt once I get it) are enough of a memento for me!

So being the nosy cow I am, I looked at your pics. They are great! You obviously took note of "smile when you see a camera" None of mine are that great (no smiles anyway!!) but I'm tempted to get one made into a certificate.

Am laughing at getting one made into a poster though - I mean where would you put it :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Chops1234 wrote: »

Am laughing at getting one made into a poster though - I mean where would you put it :):)

Downstairs loo? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Official friend of the novices Eliud Too is on "Second Captains Live" on RTE 2 later tonight: https://www.facebook.com/EliudKibetToo/photos/a.480057472143924.1073741829.479074745575530/536902416459429/?type=3&theater

frash wrote: »
    Downstairs loo? :cool:

That gets my vote!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

I'm fairly sure I ticked the box during the registration process to buy photos from the finish line as a package when I registered. How do I get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

I love this post so so much :)

Thanks whoops
    Every time I stand up in the office I feel the pain, and then I smile because it's a achievement reminder - I think we all need. It could be delirium though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

engol wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I ticked the box during the registration process to buy photos from the finish line as a package when I registered. How do I get them?

I did the same. It says in the FAQ section that they will email a download link 24-48 hours after the race. i haven't got an email yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The race reports being posted have left me speechless, the true grit and determination that each and every one of you showed is a testament to the work that we all put in over the past three or four months. TFGR, your blog is nothing short of inspirational, I'm so happy that you achieved your goal in style, the first of many marathons :)

I really don't want this thread to end, it's been my rock and the thing I look forward to reading first thing every morning :) It's heart warming to look back and see that while we were out there hurting there were peeps on here following us and willing us on, the support from everyone here has been incredible.

Thank you to each and everyone of you, my fellow novices, DG, FBOT, Meno and Clearlier and all of the others who popped in here over the last few weeks, you're shining stars :)

My report is on my log and the link is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97520689&postcount=407

p.s. DG, I'm sorry I didn't see you at mile 22, I didn't even look - all I was focused on were the red balloons and the finish line, nothing else was getting inside my head, it was like I had blinkers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

aquinn wrote: »
    That's cool Karl. How deadly.
    Not so keen now to be pacer with those balloons. I'd be gone like Mary Poppins.

I got a good few wallops on the head from those balloons during the race, but I missed them when they started to drift away with 3m to go!:)
    One of the 3.30 pacers lost his balloon:eek:, but managed to keep the yellow ribbon which served the purpose all the same!
    Weren't the pacers great! they're really amazing taking on the responsibility. Met one at the end, Denis maybe? shook his hand and said thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

KJ wrote: »
    I did the same. It says in the FAQ section that they will email a download link 24-48 hours after the race. i haven't got an email yet though.

Oh great! Thanks. I'll be patient. I like my finisher pic so happy I ordered now. Although having said that my friend got a fantastic shot of me as I approached her at mile 24, I was telling her I wasn't going to stop then I spotted her son with the fig rolls outstretched and he looked so pleased I had to stop and give him a quick kiss. I've posted that pic to Jacobs page (hoping to get a few bob for my charity to be honest) so I hope they publish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

aquinn wrote: »
    Neil est 4:12

Kablamo!!!

4:12 would have been nice but 4:35 is still great! So how did it all go down on the day..

As you all know it was a nice early start, Slept really well so no complaints when the alarm went at 6am.. Fed the cats and then myself..
    Everything ready from night before so once myself and the number 1 supporter were fed we left. Parked along the canal, just took the first spot i saw even though it wasn't super close but it was 7:45 at this stage so plenty of time to slowly walk down.

We arrived down and stood around for a bit as crowds gathered, few attempts for toilets and then a few hundred meters warm up. Headed towards the wave area and was great as number 1 supporter was able to stay with me. We sang the anthem and took a few pics and cheered as wave 1 departed, handed over my jumper and hat and went off with wave 2 down to the start line.

Off we go.. I was delighted be be heading out..

Within the first mile i spotted David(diego_b) and we started chatting. We were in between 4:00 & 4:10 pace groups and happy to stay there!
    First few mile just flew past. Saw my sister and nephew up near castleknock gate then again after coming back into the park, Big smile on my face seeing them!

Into inchicore and my parents were there, my Dad just had a half peeled banana in his hand.. I nearly pissed myself laughing and just shouted no thanks!!
    The hill after was fine.. slowed a little but no pressure. St Laurence rd, Sarsfield road and Inchcore rd all fine. Some friends spotted along the way and gave me a great cheer!
    South circuar road up to dolphine bar where i got the first glimpse of Number 1 supporter! She hadnt been knocked down so i was delighted to see her, little hello as i passed.

HALFWAY!!! 2:02 Hey, we are going well!!

Over the bridge and up the little drag to the Crumlin shopping centre and braced for the wall of wind. But it wasn't there(well i dint think so anyway). Mistake 1.. Think i should have taken this gift and brought the pace back slightly but i kept shooting on!

Some more support on Walkinstown Av and Cromwellsfort rd. All still going well through kimmage and around towards Terenure. Passed my house and had a buddy there who decided to run the next half mile on the patch giving me encouragement! Was brilliant!

Now we are 18 miles in annnnnndd im beginning to feel it! At 19 i had to dive into the toilets, think id lost Diego at this stage. Grabbed a water and had a few sips and went on. Just passed milltown and number 1 supporter was there, i did the unthinkable and stopped beside her to say hi! In honesty i was goosed, i needed to stop!

So from here on in you can guess how it went! Couldn't keep a steady pace or rythem, i was hurting. Over Roebuck and down to the N11. 4:20 group passed and i tried to jump on the back but i couldnt, they were in the distance so fast!

Nutley to RDS was a bit stop start, Best part of this bit was the Jaffa cake i got off someone!!

Once past the RDS i knew we werent far off.. I checked the watch to see 25.3... I look again to see blank screen, DAMNN YOU BATTERY!!

Then i saw it, the finish. Back to nothing but smiles, Just caught number 1 supporter and gave her the thumbs up. Onto the green carpet and across the line. Had no idea what the time was but i didnt really care.

Medal on and smiles all around!!!

There ya go!

Great seeing a few of you in the Pub, sorry i had to run quickly but my stomach decided it didn't want to finish the pint!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Kablamo!!!

4:12 would have been nice but 4:35 is still great! So how did it all go down on the day..

As you all know it was a nice early start, Slept really well so no complaints when the alarm went at 6am.. Fed the cats and then myself..
    Everything ready from night before so once myself and the number 1 supporter were fed we left. Parked along the canal, just took the first spot i saw even though it wasn't super close but it was 7:45 at this stage so plenty of time to slowly walk down.

We arrived down and stood around for a bit as crowds gathered, few attempts for toilets and then a few hundred meters warm up. Headed towards the wave area and was great as number 1 supporter was able to stay with me. We sang the anthem and took a few pics and cheered as wave 1 departed, handed over my jumper and hat and went off with wave 2 down to the start line.

Within the first mile i spotted David(diego_b) and we started chatting. We were in between 4:00 & 4:10 pace groups and happy to stay there!
    First few mile just flew past. Saw my sister and nephew up near castleknock gate then again after coming back into the park, Big smile on my face seeing them!

Into inchicore and my parents were there, my Dad just had a half peeled banana in his hand.. I nearly pissed myself laughing and just shouted no thanks!!
    The hill after was fine.. slowed a little but no pressure. St Laurence rd, Sarsfield road and Inchcore rd all fine. Some friends spotted along the way and gave me a great cheer!
    South circuar road up to dolphine bar where i got the first glimpse of Number 1 supporter! She hadnt been knocked down so i was delighted to see her, little hello as i passed.

Over the bridge and up the little drag to the Crumlin shopping centre and braced for the wall of wind. But it wasn't there(well i dint think so anyway). Mistake 1.. Think i should have taken this gift and brought the pace back slightly but i kept shooting on!

Some more support on Walkinstown Av and Cromwellsfort rd. All still going well through kimmage and around towards Terenure. Passed my house and had a buddy there who decided to run the next half mile on the patch giving me encouragement! Was brilliant!

Now we are 18 miles in annnnnndd im beginning to feel it! At 19 i had to dive into the toilets, think id lost Diego at this stage. Grabbed a water and had a few sips and went on. Just passed milltown and number 1 supporter was there, i did the unthinkable and stopped beside her to say hi! In honesty i was goosed, i needed to stop!

So from here on in you can guess how it went! Couldn't keep a steady pace or rythem, i was hurting. Over Roebuck and down to the N11. 4:20 group passed and i tried to jump on the back but i couldnt, they were in the distance so fast!

Nutley to RDS was a bit stop start, Best part of this bit was the Jaffa cake i got off someone!!

Once past the RDS i knew we werent far off.. I checked the watch to see 25.3... I look again to see blank screen, DAMNN YOU BATTERY!!

Then i saw it, the finish. Back to nothing but smiles, Just caught number 1 supporter and gave her the thumbs up. Onto the green carpet and across the line. Had no idea what the time was but i didnt really care.

There ya go!

Great seeing a few of you in the Pub, sorry i had to run quickly but my stomach decided it didn't want to finish the pint!!

Jaffa cake just before rds you say? Myself and firedance were there (on the left hand side heading into town) and she added her jaffa cakes to my tub of jelly babies. Could have been us, a few people took the jaffas alright. Two girls shouting like lunatics at everyone with a name, club vest etc (any identifier) - I was in a purple rain jacket waving the tub of goodies around?

If anyone on the thread is called Rachel and is the person I saw at mile 13, mile 21 and mile 25 and shouted at each time until by the third time she was laughing surprised to see me again - well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not to pick on you Neil, but several people have posted similar things and it's worth pointing out.
    Your estimate before the race was 4.12 But you started between the 4 and 4.10 pacers and stayed there for the first half of the race.
    This happens to people a lot. They carefully consider the time they are capable of, then they get to the start line and forget all those plans and go with whatever pops into their head :) The marathon is not something you improvise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

RayCun wrote: »
    Not to pick on you Neil, but several people have posted similar things and it's worth pointing out.
    Your estimate before the race was 4.12 But you started between the 4 and 4.10 pacers and stayed there for the first half of the race.
    This happens to people a lot. They carefully consider the time they are capable of, then they get to the start line and forget all those plans and go with whatever pops into their head :) The marathon is not something you improvise!

Pick away.. Mistake made and I knew it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Kablamo!!!

There ya go!

It was great to run with you Neil, seriously made the first half of the race zip along...that pic my mate got of us in Kilmainham is great.
    I remembered coming up to a water station around Milltown just behind you but lost you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

chrislad wrote: »
    Mrs. Mc, you can change the bib number in the URL and it should focus on you a bit more, especially the finish part. :)

Just realised that loving my finish video ! Throwing my arms up in the air great to re live it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Jaffa cake just before rds you say? Myself and firedance were there (on the left hand side heading into town) and she added her jaffa cakes to my tub of jelly babies. Could have been us, a few people took the jaffas alright. Two girls shouting like lunatics at everyone with a name, club vest etc (any identifier) - I was in a purple rain jacket waving the tub of goodies around?

If anyone on the thread is called Rachel and is the person I saw at mile 13, mile 21 and mile 25 and shouted at each time until by the third time she was laughing surprised to see me again - well done :)

:D:D super description!!!

Just going back over the thread starting with everyone tracking us former novices on the course.

One thing stood out.

Chops, I gotta tell you something. Back when I first started training for this, before I knew what I was getting myself into, I very naively decided I'd go for a 5 hour target. I soon learned that was (way, waaaay) out of my reach. Right now, I can only dream of achieving such a great time. Luckily for me, I have a habit of making my dreams reality, so you're my inspiration for the next one. Just wanted you to know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Yyyyyyeeeesssssssss!! Got up the stairs without using the Bannister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Just realised that loving my finish video ! Throwing my arms up in the air great to re live it.

Just read your race report great run, can't believe amount of pages missed
    Yesterday must have bee still drunk, Gill giving out, said she thought boards
    Finished, how's the legs now, hope FBOT looking after you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

Just going back over the thread starting with everyone tracking us former novices on the course.

One thing stood out.

Chops, I gotta tell you something. Back when I first started training for this, before I knew what I was getting myself into, I very naively decided I'd go for a 5 hour target. I soon learned that was (way, waaaay) out of my reach. Right now, I can only dream of achieving such a great time. Luckily for me, I have a habit of making my dreams reality, so you're my inspiration for the next one. Just wanted you to know that!

Aawwwwhh thanks. Don't think I'll be trying again lol

Advertisement