Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic World

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pugzilla wrote: »
    You can't be a real JP fan if you thought that this was worse than JP3.

Aye, he's as real a Scotsman as you'll get though. Makes a great haggis and plays a mean bagpipe solo:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Yeah not perfect, but not as horrendous as you paint it.

Ah, it is. I'd guess it's success at the box office is down to the fact that most kids want to see it, topped off with the likes of me (old fogie) who only went to see it to relive the old days..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Blows my mind that this has become the third biggest grossing film of all time. Its like One Direction closing in on Beatles number 1 album records it just feels all wrong .

Well put

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There's only been 3 films prior to this, so hardly much on an achievement. Not really a JP fan if you thought that this was worse than JP3.

Theres a straw man argument if ever I heard one. I'd back him up by saying it was as bad as JP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Blows my mind that this has become the third biggest grossing film of all time. Its like One Direction closing in on Beatles number 1 album records it just feels all wrong .

rather this than furious 7:D infact i hope it beats avatar 100%Highly unlikely I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bad analogy. Can't agree at all. The Jurassic Park series would be one of the older stalwarts knocking about in modern cinema, more akin to the Beatles or the Stones itself. Furious 7, Twilight, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and all that teenager modern fluff would be more in line with One Direction. If anything it's good to see some of the old guard like JP and Star Wars retake their positions at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Bad analogy. Can't agree at all. The Jurassic Park series would be one of the older stalwarts knocking about in modern cinema, more akin to the Beatles or the Stones itself. Furious 7, Twilight, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and all that teenager modern fluff would be more in line with One Direction. If anything it's good to see some of the old guard like JP and Star Wars retake their positions at the top

Only if the "new" old guard turn out to be actual good films , which is patently not the case with JP:World regardless of how many gazillion it makes.

I stand by my analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

it's good to see some of the old guard
    Nope this is kind of similar to seeing an old rock band on tour today. A group of rich old arseholes trying to relive former glories and failing to get what made it so special years ago.

As for talking about the Fast & Furious movies, well they actually improved over time and for one thing have well-shot, weighty and intense action to them. They're big budget movies that don't feel the least bit cheap and lazy with regards to how they were filmed. If only all blockbusters were as ridiculously fun as Fast Five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

No need to worry just yet, it's number 27 when adjusted for inflation..

What bothers me more than the big box office taking is just how much we were in need of a big, silly and fun dinosaur movie and that a film this badly written and directed has a monopoly on it. For something of such a huge budget it does feel like an Asylum movie at times, only not funny (though it tries to be) enough and way too long. It's not like we get a dinosaur blockbuster every year and we all deserved better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can we just talk about the state Bryce Dallas Howard gets in at the end of this film?

i think there was an attempt at a slight bit of humour at a stuck up woman getting all messed up but jeez it was very leary!

the scene of her lying on the ground wet and clothes hanging off her, not much skin, but it was very exploitative.

Only if the "new" old guard turn out to be actual good films , which is patently not the case with JP:World regardless of how many gazillion it makes.

Well I don't really care about the box office at all, but if pushed for an opinion I'd still rather see a subpar JP at the top than absolute muck like Harry Potter or Twilight or Pirates etc. Then again, what is JP actually chasing at the top that is in anyway akin to the Beatles i.e classic greats? Avatar, Harry Potter, Furious 7? The answer is nothing
    e_e wrote: »
    Nope this is kind of similar to seeing an old rock band on tour today. A group of rich old arseholes trying to relive former glories and failing to get what made it so special years ago.

Similar to the above, I'd still rather go and see the Stones years past it, than One Direction or most of the other manufactured mainstream nonsense in music these days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

can we just talk about the state byrce dallas howard gets in at the end of this film?

i think there was an attempt at a slight bit of humour at a suck up woman getting all messed up but jeez it was also very leary!

the scene of her lying on the ground wet and clothes hanging off her, not much skin, but it was very exploitative.

I assume her character and costume was a reference to Romancing the Stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

I seen this at the perfect time, 5 o'clock on a lazy Sunday!had my popcorn and got a lovely nostalgic feeling when the soundtrack was playing, but that's about it! Glad I seen it in the cinema, will never ever watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I assume her character and costume was a reference to Romancing the Stone.

recently watched the 1980's King Kong now that was a bit much in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

An hour into this. contemplating switching off. Blockbuster bollix at it finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Maybe if you actually watch the movie you might enjoy it.

Yup. thanks for that. will take it on board. wont be rewinding the 5 seconding it took to make the post though. First half was desperate, second didnt bring it it back.

Similar to the above, I'd still rather go and see the Stones years past it, than One Direction or most of the other manufactured mainstream nonsense in music these days
    Four words for you: Mad Max Fury Road

I think it's absurd that you'd use Jurassic World of all films to bolster your anti-mainstream, pro old-guard argument. A film taken up by a young hack with no sense of how to contruct or edit shots who embraces the absolute worst of modern mainstream movie trends. You're pretty much only standing by it because it has "Jurassic" in its title.

Four words for you: Mad Max Fury Road

I think it's absurd that you'd use Jurassic World of all films to bolster your anti-mainstream, pro old-guard argument. A film taken up by a young hack with no sense of how to contruct or edit shots who embraces the absolute worst of modern mainstream movie trends. You're pretty much only standing by it because it has "Jurassic" in its title.

What is Mad Max chasing at the top of the box office?

You're talking (very simplistically) about the poor quality of mainstream movies and using the fallacy of "well it did well..." to defend a really poor film against an immersive, visionary and spectacular work from a veteran director. You're kind of erasing your own argument here. :pac:

This has been a pretty good year for mainstream film (not to mention all the great independent stuff too) and Jurassic World is not evidence of that. That it's the biggest does not make it automatically good somehow. Are you forgetting the amount of people who went to see all of the Transformers movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Is Mad max really "visionary" though? It's important not to go overboard here. We can easily point out Jurassics faults without the hyperbole for Mad Max.

It is, there were restrictions in the earlier films that clearly held Miller back but everything is unleashed there. The hand-crafted and detailed world there is leagues ahead of others I've seen from Hollywood. I really can't think of a big budget film in the last few decades that has done it better than Fury Road and I think its critical and commercial success could set a good precedent for blockbusters down the line. It's everything Jurassic World isn't and lacks the really cynical "oh we know we're just doing this as a cash grab" detachment.

You're talking (very simplistically) about the poor quality of mainstream movies and using the fallacy of "well it did well..." to defend a really poor film against an immersive, visionary and spectacular work from a veteran director. You're kind of erasing your own argument here. :pac:

Let's back up there for a minute. I wasn't defending Jurassic World against Mad Max since I never mentioned it and you are the only one who seems intent on trying to work it into this conversation. And I certainly never used the box office to back up this imaginary scenario. Another poster brought up the box office originally and I replied to that. It seems you are trying to manufacture an argument here. My only point is that I would rather see an average Jurassic park film near the top of the box office than some teen horse **** franchises like Harry Potter, regardless of how good bad on indifferent Mad Max was in relation to anything

My only point is that I would rather see an average Jurassic park film near the top of the box office than some teen horse **** franchises like Harry Potter
    Hmm I don't really see the distinction tbh. A film is either very good of its kind or it's not. But yeah this isn't really going anywhere so let's leave it be. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

cannot wait to get this beast on bluray DTSHD next month

my speakers are in for a rough night when the day arrives and the neighbours but sure F--k the neighbours lol.

that ending on my 5.1 surround system hell yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Got around to watching this tonight.. awful, awful film!

I'm usually one who can just "go with" a film, but not when the suspension of disbelief is so ridiculous that it takes you out of the film - I gave up trying to enjoy the ride fairly early on at the point when the two lads are freewheeling around in a bubble car, surrounded by live dinosaurs, without a care as the evacuation is called. But instead of these bubble cars having like y'know, an automatic recall feature (not an unexpected thing you'd think in a ultra high-tech theme park), they get a little message on screen asking them to please return to the gate.. which of course they ignore and go "off-road" instead!

Maybe that's a silly thing to nit-pick over but having spent the preceding 20 mins watching how high-tech and security conscious the whole site (supposedly!) is, it just seemed weirdly out of place!

After that, the film became a predictable bore for me .. stuffed with as much CGI beasties they could fit into each scene (something I'm neither impressed nor entertained by anymore. Back in the day it was impressive but now any low-budget B-movie to Hollywood blockbuster can do it - and usually as a mess of fast-motion, occasionally poorly animated blurred action shots) but completely devoid of any tension, with the numerous Super-Rex sticks its snout in close to our heroes being far less effective than in the original film, and certainly after the 2nd time they used the same shot in this one.

All but one of the main characters themselves I couldn't have cared less about - indeed the aunt was so annoying after 20 mins (what with her personal insecurity over yer man affecting critical calls in the control room) that I was hoping they'd kill her off early... alas, it seemed they just decided to partly strip her off instead for no real reason. The 2 kids were equally annoying, the evil plot convoluted and clichéd, and the benign owner was as if the writers decided "hey, this guy is into tech and super-rich... let's make him like Tony Stark!" :rolleyes: About the only half-way decent character was Owen.

As for the ending.. it was obvious that it was gonna be a T-Rex vs Super-Rex showdown (the original Alpha from the first film vs its successor), but the slow-mo Raptor hero shot was just nonsense!

Very poor cynical cash-in IMO which even went so far as to scream SEQUEL!! at the audience with the escape of the scientist and embryos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Very poor cynical cash-in IMO which even went so far as to scream SEQUEL!! at the audience with the escape of the scientist and embryos!
    This sums it up for me too. I thought it was awful and an embarrassment to the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Got around to watching this tonight.. awful, awful film!

I'm usually one who can just "go with" a film, but not when the suspension of disbelief is so ridiculous that it takes you out of the film - I gave up trying to enjoy the ride fairly early on at the point when the two lads are freewheeling around in a bubble car, surrounded by live dinosaurs, without a care as the evacuation is called. But instead of these bubble cars having like y'know, an automatic recall feature (not an unexpected thing you'd think in a ultra high-tech theme park), they get a little message on screen asking them to please return to the gate.. which of course they ignore and go "off-road" instead!

Maybe that's a silly thing to nit-pick over but having spent the preceding 20 mins watching how high-tech and security conscious the whole site (supposedly!) is, it just seemed weirdly out of place!

After that, the film became a predictable bore for me .. stuffed with as much CGI beasties they could fit into each scene (something I'm neither impressed nor entertained by anymore. Back in the day it was impressive but now any low-budget B-movie to Hollywood blockbuster can do it - and usually as a mess of fast-motion, occasionally poorly animated blurred action shots) but completely devoid of any tension, with the numerous Super-Rex sticks its snout in close to our heroes being far less effective than in the original film, and certainly after the 2nd time they used the same shot in this one.

All but one of the main characters themselves I couldn't have cared less about - indeed the aunt was so annoying after 20 mins (what with her personal insecurity over yer man affecting critical calls in the control room) that I was hoping they'd kill her off early... alas, it seemed they just decided to partly strip her off instead for no real reason. The 2 kids were equally annoying, the evil plot convoluted and clichéd, and the benign owner was as if the writers decided "hey, this guy is into tech and super-rich... let's make him like Tony Stark!" :rolleyes: About the only half-way decent character was Owen.

As for the ending.. it was obvious that it was gonna be a T-Rex vs Super-Rex showdown (the original Alpha from the first film vs its successor), but the slow-mo Raptor hero shot was just nonsense!

Well said, your review reminded me of just how much I hated this film. So many stupid things you could pull out of it. Those kids, wow, those kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lightfootbumb

biggebruv wrote: »
    cannot wait to get this beast on bluray DTSHD next month

my speakers are in for a rough night when the day arrives and the neighbours but sure F--k the neighbours lol.

that ending on my 5.1 surround system hell yeah

That's sounds very good. You are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

These guys have most of it bang on

Advertisement