Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've heard that in a lot of places that this is better than 2 and 3, and it's better in some parts, but a lot worse in others.

There's plenty of excellent parts from 2 - the truck dangling at the edge, the raptors in the long grass, the hunting of all the dinosaurs... even the T-Rex in San Francisco was a bit of craic (despite the hand on the door controller making absolutely no sense at all - presumably it crawled back over to it after the rest was eaten).
    Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore, Pete Posthelwaite, Peter Stormare - it had a good cast as well.
    If they binned the stupid gymnastics part I suspect people would look back on it more fondly.

3 was pretty bad, but it still had some cool moments, and William H Macy is always good.

This was distractingly stupid, and that brought down the level of the whole film. There was plenty of nice eye candy and a few cool set pieces, but I just couldn't go with it because I kept getting taken out of the film.

I don't think this was an example of joined-up thinking.
    Weird tone with wackieness thrown in at every opportunity, jokes breaking the tension any time they managed to build some, kiddies doing kiddy things one minute and people getting fairly gruesomely eaten the next.

It was a real head-scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is crazy how much it seems to be upsetting people that so many other people really enjoyed this film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It is crazy how much it seems to be upsetting people that so many other people really enjoyed this film.
    I think it's because it lost the serious tone/moral message the first two had. I enjoyed it, it's lighthearted and fun and you get plenty of dinosaurs for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The thing that struck me about this is that I can't remember any characters name, except for Chris Pratts. I can still remember the names of some of the side characters in the first JP.

Essentially it's has some entertaining scenes but is an entirely vacuous movie

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I think theres a deeper issue going on here.

Its more "why has this really bad film done so well and is guaranteed probably a franchise of sequels when there are so many strictly better films struggling to get noticed or continued"
    I think its a standards thing. Just shocking how low the bar is for what people pass as "good". But hey, Honey Boo Boo was actually real and not just a figment of our nightmares :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

...and yet most of the condescending remarks in this very thread are from people who did like it. One user even going "autism ffs" :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed the film then all the power to you, but I really feel that there's a lot of apologizing for the lazy film making, pandering, lackluster direction and cynical message going on here. I mean is the bar really that low that "well it's better than the last 2" and "It's a dinosaur movie!" is enough to shield Jurassic World from criticism? If that's the case just buy an Asylum film and a six-pack and get plastered at home. We don't need to throw money at something this shoddily made and insulting to the viewer's intelligence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who's upset? And why are those who didn't like this film saddled with anxiety and bitterness? Ok, there has been some eye-watering pedantry here and there, but that's standard for threads of this size; inevitably people run out of things to say so it turns into an exercise of tearing apart the minutiae, but so what?

If you can enjoy the film warts n' all, then fair play; but don't presume those who didn't do so from a point of resentment. Me? I hated this film and found it soulless, charmless dirge that completely missed the point of the first film. Mostly? I found this film boring, filled with annoying characters. It's not enough to shrug my shoulders and say 'well at least it was better than the other two sequels'. That's almost a perfect example of damning with faint praise in my book.

Oh come on, the rage on display (even in these last few posts) is utterly disproportionate to the supposed "crimes" of this film. Personally I enjoyed it a lot but regardless, at worst I could see it being written off as being a dumb blockbuster but if someone came into this thread without seeing the film they'd see 50% of the posts describing a car-crash of a movie with zero redeeming features, which this is simply not.

I find myself wondering if there was a second cut of the movie which some of you watched considering how far apart some of the comments are from the film that I saw.

You literally have people in here bemoaning the fact that it has made so much money as if the fact that people like this film, tell friends and maybe even go and watch it again is going to negatively impact them in any way whatsoever.

I'd hate to see the reactions of these same people to the Transformers sequels. I suspect heads would explode.

describing a car-crash of a movie with zero redeeming features, which this is simply not.
    In the opinion of several posters (including myself) on this thread, it is.

I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing that worked for me in this movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bit of a 'your opinion is wrong!' vibe going on here :pac:

Anyway, never posted my full review of the film. Can't really give an anymore thorough breakdown of what I didn't like about the film:
    It's hardly irregular for blockbuster films to fail to follow through on their ideas or high concepts – many films have surrendered depth as their budgets grew higher. Others simply struggled to make good on their deliciously promising, tricksy conceits. It is relatively irregular, however, for a blockbuster film to highlight and even critique its own limitations, while also failing to transcend the very traits it has expressed disdain towards. That's the unusual dissonance to be found in Jurassic World, one of the most self-aware and hypocritical Hollywood productions you're ever likely to watch.

From the off, it becomes clear Jurassic World is a film operating on two different wavelengths. The very first shot shows a hatching dinosaur egg, the creature inside slowly revealed. It's a homage to the convincingly clunky hatching sequence in Jurassic Park (which remains perhaps the greatest realisation of the modern spectacle movie), yet obviously rendered through unconvincing, cartoonish CGI – the shared burden of almost all contemporary spectacles. Yet with the next scene, director Colin Trevorrow (graduating from the charming sci-fi indie comedy Safety Not Guaranteed) changes tone. We see a young boy (Ty Simpkins) in a room covered with dinosaur stuff, feverishly anticipating a trip to the theme park where his favourite animals roam wild. In two scenes, then, we've had two conflicting registers: one of modern CG excess, the other of childlike and old-fashioned anticipation and wonder.

Over the next half hour or so, the film – unsurprisingly credited to four screenwriters – presents itself as a film comfortably in tune with what exactly it is. There are knowing attacks on marketing and corporate interference, and on-the-nose dialogue that articulates the need for ever bigger thrills to attract bored audiences. In one scene, Jurassic World visitors observe a giant aquatic dinosaur (well beyond the capabilities of an SFX team in 1993) with awe and joy – it's no coincidence that the angle chosen makes it look like they're staring at a cinema screen.

Jurassic World establishes itself, with unmistakable clarity ('subtext' would imply there's a 'sub' to it), as a film with a distaste for trends within mainstream filmmaking, and seemingly sets out to do something fresh while harking back to a better, more magical time for blockbusters. One character played by Jake Johnson wears an original Jurassic Park t-shirt while affectionately reminiscing about the park (and, with a wink, the film), while the early 1990s is frequently referenced as an altogether better, simpler time. Yet it's obvious the same old tricks won't totally cut it this time, either. Can the film play the nostalgia card while also bringing some fresh ideas to the table?

The answer is inevitably disappointing. After an extended opening act of self-reflection, everything goes to **** – both for the fictional theme park operators who foolishly thought they could contain their genetically engineered super dino, and for the filmmakers who dared to propose (promise?) potentially overcoming the limitations of a $150 million+ franchise sequel in 2015.

Where to start? The film is constantly highlighting the horror of corporate interference – even hiring Vincent D'Onofrio as a sneering InGen stooge up to no good - yet is concurrently littered with seemingly unironic product placement. It celebrates the wonders of science and reflects on the dark power of playing God (poor BD Wong, the one recurring cast member, is also reduced to corporate puppet by film's end, anticipating – the film teases – film number five). It is cynical towards empty, focus-grouped spectacle, and ultimately resigns itself to empty, focus-grouped spectacle. Depending on how much credit you're willing to give the creative team, it's almost as if they are actively making fun of the audience at times, albeit for no discernible or coherent gain.

The jarring dichotomy extends to the characterisation too. Bryce Dallas Howard plays Claire, a senior figure at the park who is meant to be looking after her visiting nephews when all hell breaks loose. She is the de facto protagonist of the film, surprisingly taking centre stage alongside or arguably even ahead of poster boy Chris Pratt. Over the course of the film, she develops into a more proactive hero, confident, assured and risk-taking after being a bit of a selfish stick-in-the-mud at the start of proceedings. Honestly, it remains a sad rarity to see a female character so prominent in a tentpole blockbuster, an especially encouraging sign so soon after the proudly progressive Mad Max: Fury Road.

But that's not all there is to Claire in the film. Her character development is tied to her effectively surrendering to a more traditional gender role – her maternal and, well, sexual instincts the factors that encourage her to break out of her shell. And that shell is already one of a confident, career driven woman – something portrayed as a negative. Somewhat incredulously, the development of her character is also symbolised directly by her continued disrobing. For no good reason, the filmmakers draw attention to her slowly but surely removing her outfit, not least in one of the most gratuitous cleavage shots in recent memory. There is an argument to be made that the gradual removal of her work clothes is done in the name of practicality, or a physical manifestation of her character changes. But put it this way: why don't the male characters end up doing the same?

The dissonance is present elsewhere. For the most part Pratt does little more than growl and get **** done, but in one scene – that one controversially highlighted by Joss Whedon – he comes across as a wisecracking asshole / borderline sex pest. The central romance feels perfunctory and unconvincing. Yet in a witty scene elsewhere Johnson's character rushes to explicitly express his feelings for a co-worker (Lauren Lapkus) during a moment of high drama, only for Trevorrow to amusingly subvert our expectations and instead highlight the silliness and creepiness of such a thing. Again, it is clear that the filmmakers are conscious of the ludicrous tropes and conventions limiting much genre film, but they seem perfectly happy to indulge in them without irony while making fun of them elsewhere.

And so we get to the spectacle – the dinosaur action. That's where the constant homages to its predecessor (The Lost World and JP3 are wisely ignored) become least flattering. There are throwbacks like the economically utilised iconic music cues that suggest the filmmakers are intimately aware of what made Spielberg's film so successful. And a handful of moments do capture some sort of majesty, maybe even magic – like the first glimpse of a dinosaur petting zoo (a beautifully loaded image), or an impressive shot that comes across as a dark subversion of that unforgettable image of that first wide shot of a dinosaur plane in Jurassic Park.

Yet for the most part the comparisons are unflattering (even if, almost by default, it's still the most interesting sequel). There's no sense of tension or weight to the action - even the build-up to the park reveal is handled with brutal efficiency in the first ten minutes or so. A handful of sequences toy with being more intimate, but feel contrived in a way the original never did (safe to say an unsupervised tour through dino-town in a glass bubble would not make it past many health and safety inspectors). One shot sees Owen and Claire nursing what appears to be a wounded, animatronic Brachiosaurus – a pleasingly weighty shot undermined when the camera swoops to encompass a clearly CG body. This isn't to say the original was not full of computer manipulation because it absolutely was, but Spielberg always made sure to offset it with some of the best practical effects work in cinema history. That's sorely missed here, hardly aided by direction that is at times is clear and coherent, but mostly bores with unconvincing, flavourless spectacle - not least a preposterously realised climactic multiple-dinosaur brawl that concludes with a T-Rex and raptor effectively affectionately winking at the nearby humans before politely leaving them to their business. It's only slightly less silly than that in action.

All this from a film that spent much of its opening act decrying the sorry state of the contemporary blockbuster. Generously speaking, it could be considered the filmmakers highlighting the impossibility of doing something original within the confines of a big studio blockbuster with a dizzying budget, sneaking a message in however they. Perhaps a bold attempt at critiquing both the audiences and corporations that maintain the business model. But it's a film that never manages to transcend that which it criticises, instead coming across as if different writers were responsible for the film's first and second halves (Charlie and Donald Kaufman, maybe?). Even if we do give the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt, accepting that they were fighting against impossible odds – what a lousy, depressing message we're left with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh come on, the rage on display (even in these last few posts) is utterly disproportionate to the supposed "crimes" of this film. Personally I enjoyed it a lot but regardless, at worst I could see it being written off as being a dumb blockbuster but if someone came into this thread without seeing the film they'd see 50% of the posts describing a car-crash of a movie with zero redeeming features, which this is simply not.

And yet I disagree; maybe the tone of others' arguments gets heated, but the fundamental point behind them seems true to me: Jurassic World was very poor, and being better than two also-inferior sequels shouldn't really act as the barometer of success.

There definitely seemed to be a germ of some good ideas in there, the script flirted with some smart notions and avenues, but then dropped the ball each time. I can't help wonder if the director was a stronger, more influential personality would those ideas have stayed the course.
    I'd hate to see the reactions of these same people to the Transformers sequels. I suspect heads would explode.

I'd like to propose a film-based variation of Godwin's law, that the longer a contentious thread goes on, the probability of a comparison involving Transformers approaches 1 :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 South Tipperary Arts Centre

should be good

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »

I'd like to propose a film-based variation of Godwin's law, that the longer a contentious thread goes on, the probability of a comparison involving Transformers approaches 1 :D :P

Funnily enough, if you scroll up a bit you'll see the actual Godwin's law was invoked before Baywin's. :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »

Ha, fair enough, it's the obvious comparison which always springs to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I actually like the first Transformers film! It is what it is, I mean cars turn into alien robots, it's a comic book sci-fi. In that context I thought it was fun, but the sequels are certainly self indulgent and pointless stupid films.

Jurassic World has way too many face palm moments. There is no context to the stupidity, in Mad Max the insanity is part of the world they inhabit. Jurassic Park feels like a great adventure fraught with danger, with a couple of engaging characters. At worst there are one or two plot strains, but it's never stupid. Jurassic World feels actively stupid, like there's an in joke deal between audience and makers that we are in the age of the dumb blockbuster, so come along for the ride! It's not disappointing because every film needs to be deep, it's disappointing because there are good ideas and things you can do with the story, but the horrible writing and too many cooks approach to making this spoiled something that could have been great.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

e_e wrote: »
    ...and? Didn't stop the first film from being thoroughly well-made, thoughtful, entertaining, chilling and awe-inspiring. Everything this one failed to be tbh.

It must kill you to know that this film has made $1.5 billion and counting.

JW was never going to top the novelty of the first film.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    It must kill you to know that this film has made $1.5 billion and counting.
    The box office is neither here nor there for me. Just means a lot of people paid to see it, nothing to do with the film's quality.
    JW was never going to top the novelty of the first film.
    What's with this constant setting of such low bars by the people who like this movie? Very reductive to just call the first film a novelty when what made it good was more than just them having solid dinosaur effects (which in many ways are still superior to Jurassic World I might add). It's a bizarrely defeatist and negative way of looking at movies imo, I can only guess that Colin Trevorrow had the same view of the material. ;)

It's a bizarrely defeatist and negative way of looking at movies imo, I can only guess that Colin Trevorrow had the same view of the material. ;)

What films have you directed?

What storyline would you have used for JW ?

You call it a bad movie?
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jurassic_world/
    http://www.metacritic.com/movie/jurassic-world

Yeah not perfect, but not as horrendous as you paint it.

What films have you directed?
    What's that got to do with anything? Are you saying you need to have made a movie to have an opinion on one? In that case what films have you directed?
    What storyline would you have used for JW ?
    It's the execution that's the problem, a director on Spielberg's level for instance could have made this material sing. Plot isn't important as much as what's done with it.

Yeah not perfect, but not as horrendous as you paint it.
    Again, that stuff is immaterial to what I personally thought of the movie. I'm not gonna fall into the old appeal to consensus fallacy. Other people liking something should not change my opinion of it, if anything differing individual experiences should be encouraged or else a message board such as this is a bit moot isn't it?

Sorry, not buying this notion that I should be forced to find merit in something just because other people do.

• Advertisement

Again, that stuff is immaterial to what I personally thought of the movie. I'm not gonna fall into the old appeal to consensus fallacy. Other people liking something should not change my opinion of it, if anything differing individual experiences should be encouraged or else a message board such as this is a bit moot isn't it?

Sorry, not buying this notion that I should be forced to find merit in something just because other people do.

Did you like Pacific Rimjob or Godzilla? If not then maybe this genre of film is not for you.....

Pacfic Rim is an example of this kind of movie done right. A good director who knew what he was doing from the start delivering goofy fun on a huge scale, it's like the big budget equivalent to a Saturday morning cartoon. The characters are likable, the message is strong and clear (none of this condescending "meh modern audience, lap this rubbish up!") and there's a love of film making there that Del Toro (like Spielberg) gets across.

Godzilla had similar (character and pacing) problems to this but made up for it by actually having great set-pieces and some beautiful cinematography. There's nothing in Jurassic World that even approaches the Hawaii or halo drop sequences there.

So no, I don't have any bias against a kind of movie. Believe me if I did I wouldn't have seen every Jurassic Park movie to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,890 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Sequel confirmed for June 22nd 2018 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sequel confirmed for June 22nd 2018 :D

Ah Jaysus. What next? The Lost Jurassic World?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Super T Rex, recovered, has now become even smarter. It seems someone put a dash of human dna in too, mixed with the raptor. He has begun to create an army of super dinosaurs with which they plan to invade the US.

So no, I don't have any bias against a kind of movie. Believe me if I did I wouldn't have seen every Jurassic Park movie to date.

There's only been 3 films prior to this, so hardly much on an achievement. Not really a JP fan if you thought that this was worse than JP3.

There's only been 3 films prior to this, so hardly much of an achievement.

You can't be a real JP fan if you thought that this was worse than JP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Blows my mind that this has become the third biggest grossing film of all time. Its like One Direction closing in on Beatles number 1 album records it just feels all wrong .

• Advertisement

You can't be a real JP fan if you thought that this was worse than JP3.
    Oh come on don't pull the "Oh you didn't like this movie? You're not a real fan!" card. It's like you're treating your own opinion as fact and you have to construe stuff about people who think differently. :P

Psst who said I was a fan anyway? The first just happened to be a film I really loved growing up, but even looking back I can tell it's a far more well-written, better constructed, imaginative and thoughtful film than Jurassic World is. Even 2 and 3 have the odd impressive set-piece and scary scenes compared to JW, which I can say I got nothing out of in terms of fun, thrills or shock.

Advertisement