Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jesus I felt sorry for Mrs Drew.

That woman has been put through the mill.

And the fact that Mary could not foresee that Mrs Drew might be upset by seeing Marigold shows how little empathy and maternal instincts she has.

Seems reasonable for the character to me. Mary thought Mrs Drew would like to see her own child from time to time perhaps? She doesn't know the story with the kids being abandoned and picked up later at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pwurple wrote: »
    Seems reasonable for the character to me. Mary thought Mrs Drew would like to see her own child from time to time perhaps? She doesn't know the story with the kids being abandoned and picked up later at all.

Marigold was never supposed to be Mrs. Drew's though. The story was she had taken in a relatives child, wasn't it? Still, she might like to see her from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭brian_t

Radio5 wrote: »

It's on Wednesday this week on TV3 cos of the rugby.

It was on Tuesday last week on TV3 cos of the rugby. It's on Wednesdays from today on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I really hope Mrs Hughes stands up to Mary

Jesus I felt sorry for Mrs Drew.

That woman has been put through the mill.

And the fact that Mary could not foresee that Mrs Drew might be upset by seeing Marigold shows how little empathy and maternal instincts she has.

So, I've just watched the episode and while I too feel sorry for Mrs Drew I have to say it's bloody Edith who is to blame. She had her baby adopted than took her back from that family, presumably devastating them, then she gives her to the Drew's, allows Mrs. Drew to get attached then takes her back from them too. What's the bloody difference between having her raised by the Drew's and having a fleet of nannies raise her? She's still pretending she's not her mum, the child doesn't know any different? Bloody Edith! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

snubbleste wrote: »
    "and heaven offend we lowly folk should do anything to contradict the blessed Lady Mary" :D
    <pedant hat on>It's "heaven forfend", not "offend" </pedant hat off> Sorry, had to say it, it would have bothered me all day otherwise (yes, I am that sad) and it's bad enough in work at the moment. :)

I was bothered by the scenes with Mrs. Drew as well but I honestly couldn't decide why. Just all seemed unrealistically done , both for the time it's set in and for today. Can't believe Mr. Drew is just going to roll over and head off into the sunset. Surely the Granthams should at least offer a very generous financial gift to help them on their way. I assume they dragged it up as a storyline so that Mr. Mason will now get the Drew's farm?

I was bothered by the scenes with Mrs. Drew as well but I honestly couldn't decide why. Just all seemed unrealistically done , both for the time it's set in and for today. Can't believe Mr. Drew is just going to roll over and head off into the sunset. Surely the Granthams should at least offer a very generous financial gift to help them on their way. I assume they dragged it up as a storyline so that Mr. Mason will now get the Drew's farm?

I'll eat my hat if that's not where that story is going.

Mrs Drew kidnapping Marigold bothered me because he was gone for all of about 20 seconds before they noticed and yet everyone just accepted Edith's explanation that she was at the Drew's farm. Mrs. Drew must have been touching the road in spots if she got back to the farm that quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Misty Moon wrote: »
    <pedant hat on>It's "heaven forfend", not "offend" </pedant hat off> Sorry, had to say it, it would have bothered me all day otherwise (yes, I am that sad) and it's bad enough in work at the moment. :)

Ah, but now Daisy's father in law can take over their farm, so that's why they've done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The Mrs Hughes/Mr Carson wedding is very similar to the old Upstairs Downstairs storyline, in the final series of UD, Mr. Hudson (the Butler) sets up home with Mrs Bridges (the Housekeeper).

I loved Downton Abbey in the beginning but it lost its way about three series ago. I think it's time to start watching my Upstairs Downstairs box set again, for anyone who hasn't seen it, it's well worth a watch, it's one of my favourite period dramas of all time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The Drew => Mason farm storyline was actually super disturbing. I just watched the episode feeling like I was seeing peasants in refrigerators.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I loved Downton Abbey in the beginning but it lost its way about three series ago. I think it's time to start watching my Upstairs Downstairs box set again, for anyone who hasn't seen it, it's well worth a watch, it's one of my favourite period dramas of all time.
    It died with Isis. :(
    ?width=630&version=2015293

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

The Drew and Mason storylines show the power that Landlords had over their tenant's lives. It was the same in Ireland. I agree it was all very clumsily done though.

The hospital storyline is going around in circles now, surely there has to be a conclusion soon.

Seemingly no line of suitors for Mary now. Another sign of the decline of the big house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Radio5 wrote: »
    The Drew and Mason storylines show the power that Landlords had over their tenant's lives. It was the same in Ireland. I agree it was all very clumsily done though.

The hospital storyline is going around in circles now, surely there has to be a conclusion soon.

Seemingly no line of suitors for Mary now. Another sign of the decline of the big house.

How old is Mary now? 33 or 34? That was ancient back in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

syklops wrote: »
    How old is Mary now? 33 or 34? That was ancient back in those days.

Plus there was a severe shortage of men around her age after the war. Most of the suitable men who weren't killed would have been married by that age.

I thought Matthew Goode was supposed to be Mary's new suitor? Or was he just a one off in the Christmas special?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Go Edith!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Go Edith!!!!!!

What did she do?

FFS keep missing Downton Abbey ....was it on tonight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

FFS keep missing Downton Abbey ....was it on tonight ??

Yeah, its on TV3 again on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg an unexpected but very welcome suprise tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

I can't imagine any man wanting to wed Lady Mary as she is such a cold cow. A bit like Zara in "Doctors".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

JillyQ wrote: »
    What did she do?

Fired the editor, took the job on herself (did she use a picture of Jeremy Piven as Harry Selfridge?), and it looks like she's going to embrace modern living.

She seems to like the agent too and has increased her flirting game.

Tom and Mary sitting in a tree.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I had a feeling that the Chauffeur would be back after the letter but I still had to should Oh My God when he strolled in.

Something is definitely array with Lord Granthams health. In the first episode he was quite tired after he left his horse. Mary asked if he was ok but responded with "Yes, but don't tell your mother". Then in the latest episode he had indigestion.

It may possibly tie in with the hospital storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Something is definitely array with Lord Granthams health. In the first episode he was quite tired after he left his horse. Mary asked if he was ok but responded with "Yes, but don't tell your mother". Then in the latest episode he had indigestion.

It may possibly tie in with the hospital storyline.

Definitely. My bet is he will have something like a heart attack, end up in hospital, need to use a new modern machine to save him and his Mother will then agree with Cora and Isobel
    Then they'll all be best buds again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I thought Matthew Goode was supposed to be Mary's new suitor? Or was he just a one off in the Christmas special?

Yipee he's back!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The hospital storyline is really starting to get tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Does anybody think there is actually a chance that Branson and Mary will get together? I think they'd be a great match but I don't know, I can't see it happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaryMD

sad that its the last series!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

leahyl wrote: »
    Does anybody think there is actually a chance that Branson and Mary will get together? I think they'd be a great match but I don't know, I can't see it happening...

As said above, last series...so I can see Lord Grantham dying (although it only looks like gout to me at this stage) with Branson and Mary uniting in the aftermath.
    It really depends on whether they want to end the show full stop or leave open the possibility of a "Back By Popular Demand" thing in a few years.

Advertisement