Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ?? v ?? USA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

awec wrote: »
    That wasn't even a penalty?

What a crock of absolute shit once again.

Blah blah blah contact sport... Blah play physical

yeah , flatten. same way you would try and flatten someone in a tackle. its just slang.
    id so the same in gaa. you are jumping with the objective to catch the ball but with the added criteria of not coming off second best physically.

same in soccer. i slide in to get the ball, but make sure the man gets minced too ( within the law)

How can you mince someone within the law??? Reckless challenge is an offence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hopefully America manage to get themselves a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

efb wrote: »
    If I was ref you would walk

never heard the phrase "man and ball" ?

i am not talking about doing anything out of the ordinary. happens in every game. I've never been sanctioned in any sport- genuinely.

efb wrote: »
    How can you mince someone within the law??? Reckless challenge is an offence

an over zealous meaty challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ref favoring the Boks with most of the rucks, letting them get away with a lot of spoiling on the deck.

i am not talking about doing anything out of the ordinary. happens in every game. I've never been sanctioned in any sport- genuinely.

Well then you are all talk imho - or played at a level that these things weren't clamped down on

an over zealous meaty challenge.

Off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I think it was because of the ref's question. If he had said yes or no, would it have been given?

Good point. A lot of the refs in this world cup seem to be bowing to the opinion of the TMO, even if they can see it on the big screen themselves.

There appear to be only two referees that are confident enough to overrule the TMO and go with their own gut. One of those is Nigel Owens. The other, dare I say it, is Wayne Barnes (for better or worse).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Habana/Scully incident handled well by the ref. His eyes were on the ball and he was bloody close to getting that ball. How are you supposed to compete for your own kick if you're given a yellow for that? Just because it's been given before doesn't mean it was the right call.

• Advertisement

Just because you get the ball doesn't give you a carte Blanche to clear out the man

Habana/Scully incident handled well by the ref. His eyes were on the ball and he was bloody close to getting that ball. How are you supposed to compete for your own kick if you're given a yellow for that? Just because it's been given before doesn't mean it was the right call.

This game's not being played in a vacuum though - we've seen similar, and less dangerous, incidents in the past 12 months resulting yellow and red cards. This incident didn't even result in a penalty? To my mind the Habana challenge was identical to Jared Payne's red card for Ulster. Identical. One results in a red card. The other receives no sanction whatsoever, not even a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

Moflojo wrote: »
    Good point. A lot of the refs in this world cup seem to be bowing to the opinion of the TMO, even if they can see it on the big screen themselves.

There appear to be only two referees that are confident enough to overrule the TMO and go with their own gut. One of those is Nigel Owens. The other, dare I say it, is Wayne Barnes (for better or worse).

In fairness, it was so tight the TMO was best placed to make the decision

The TMO can see multi angles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

No room for that in rugby, disgusting attitude to have tbh. I've come across plenty of players like you, concussions or neck injuries are no joke. Luckily for players nowadays malicious plays like that are being clamped down on. You could get away with that kind carry on in a lower impact sport perhaps, but in rugby playing like that equals career ending injuries and concussions, for both you and the person at the receiving end.

It's just about consistency
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but If the jersey was swapped, Ive a feeling the American Habana would have been sent to the bin

In fairness, it was so tight the TMO was best placed to make the decision

Agreed, but the TMO didn't make a decision in the end, he made a non-decision:

"It was 50-50, very hard to call."

The ref then said "So there's no reason I cannot award the try?"

And then they both agreed to not make the call.

Bored. Off to shop

Agreed, but the TMO didn't make a decision in the end, he made a non-decision:

"It was 50-50, very hard to call."

The ref then said "So there's no reason I cannot award the try?"

And then they both agreed to not make the call.

That's because the original question was is there any reason not to award the try.

No room for that in rugby, disgusting attitude to have tbh. I've come across plenty of players like you, concussions or neck injuries are no joke. Luckily for players nowadays malicious plays like that are being clamped down on. You could get away with that kind carry on in a lower impact sport perhaps, but in rugby playing like that equals career ending injuries and concussions, for both you and the person at the receiving end.

Agreed, people's lives are at stake, paralysis or death isn't funny

• Advertisement

in fairness that pertained to soccer in particular. rugby is essentially man and ball all the time by definition.

is drew mitchell not up there in these try scoring stakes they keep mentioning?

Bryan Habana equals Jonah Lomu try record
    Great Player

That's because the original question was is there any reason not to award the try.

The ref also specifically asked if Habana was in front of the kicker. The TMO couldn't decide. Made a non-call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

When it rains, it pours. Sad to see the Eagles getting hammered, hope they can get a try at least.

i dont understand this. i played fullback.
    when a ball went up i wanted to catch the ball AND flatten the other guy.

its a contact sport.

You spoke here of your desire to intentionally impact your opponent

This game's not being played in a vacuum though - we've seen similar, and less dangerous, incidents in the past 12 months resulting yellow and red cards. This incident didn't even result in a penalty? To my mind the Habana challenge was identical to Jared Payne's red card for Ulster. Identical. One results in a red card. The other receives no sanction whatsoever, not even a penalty.

The difference with the Payne incident was that he was still running (barely slowing down) when he made contact.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Bryan Habana equals Jonah Lomu try record
    Great Player

I really find him really difficult to like.

The ref also specifically asked if Habana was in front of the kicker. The TMO couldn't decide. Made a non-call.

If it's not clear and obvious I don't see the issue

• Advertisement

I love the ' contact sport ' carte Blanche defence - even mma has rules to protect the athletes

Advertisement