Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm more concerned about the ability to charge people for what they say on social media. By all means have it is a civil offence, but a criminal offence is way too much. And as I said earlier, it gives the police pretext to go after certain targets only. There must be thousands of people they're choosing not to prosecute, whether that's hateful bigots like this woman, or trolls who get their kicks going after the vulnerable.

Citation ? A complaint was made in this case. And her history is pretty bad a lot of loaded wording in her tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Two minds about it tbh. On the one hand, I hate to see anything which would fuel her persecution complex, she's enough of a martyr as it is.

On the other hand, I'd like to see her being made an example of to others so that they begin to realise that their words do actually have an effect on other people, and what one person may construe as the inoffensive and inane ramblings of a tumblr warrior, or a person who gets their jollies from insulting other people or encouraging other people to insult other people...

Someone else who is the target of such communications may actually take them seriously. We can tell them to get some perspective, but the more hateful crap I'm seeing posted online, I'm beginning to wonder - who really needs to get some perspective here, and why should anyone find this behaviour and these attitudes acceptable, and why should it be allowed to continue?

Make an example of them until people start getting the message that it's really not acceptable to attempt to humiliate and denigrate other people online.

"Don't be a dick" has never gone out of style, even though it may not be all that fashionable nowadays.

My view is similar but differently motivated - I hope she gets taken to court and jailed to highlight the inanity of the laws. I truly do believe that targeted bullying or victimisation of a person - be it on the street or across the internet should be tried and convicted.

But the idea that it illegal to offend other people is quite inimical to freedom. I say that as a white male. The likes of this fool is free to be a fool in my opinion with the general nonsense and abuse she spouts - I have zero respect for the student culture she represents. What negatively affects me is when take her activity, or the activity of other fringe morons serves as justification to enact sweeping laws to ban people offending other people. I retain the right to offend other people, and other people retain the right not to read or hear what I say. Freedom of speech is a little more nuanced than blanket bans on offending people in general or individuals having to accept any abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

How she made Welfare and Diversity Officer is beyond me.

Arrested - no.

Fired from her position at the university - absolutely

Sand wrote: »
    My view is similar but differently motivated - I hope she gets taken to court and jailed to highlight the inanity of the laws. I truly do believe that targeted bullying or victimisation of a person - be it on the street or across the internet should be tried and convicted.

But the idea that it illegal to offend other people is quite inimical to freedom. I say that as a white male. The likes of this fool is free to be a fool in my opinion with the general nonsense and abuse she spouts - I have zero respect for the student culture she represents. What negatively affects me is when take her activity, or the activity of other fringe morons to enact sweeping laws to ban people offending other people. I retain the right to offend other people, and other people retain the right not to read or hear what I say. Freedom of speech is a little more nuanced than blanket bans on offending people in general or individuals having to accept any abuse.

Let me stop it right there, Uk and Ireland do not have protected Free speech. Sure you can get done for Blasphemy here. Not that anyone has been. I to am very weary of new laws governing the internet. But when it's stuff that was not legal in the first place like incitement or hatred.

stunmer wrote: »
    How she made Welfare and Diversity Officer is beyond me.

The cynical white male in me isn't all that surprised she made Welfare and Diversity Officer in a student union. The world weary part of me is bemused that such a jobsworth role exists in such a trendy lefty environment - surely the "Dont be a dick" rule suffices?

• Advertisement

Let me stop it right there, Uk and Ireland do not have protected Free speech. Sure you can get done for Blasphemy here. Not that anyone has been. I to am very weary of new laws governing the internet. But when it's stuff that was not legal in the first place like incitement or hatred.

Agreed - I am totally against incitement to hatred against an individual (in particular) or groups in general, though I more wary in the latter case. What I am against is the growing calls of people to have a right not to be offended. That should never serve as a condition for free speech, and indeed the law should be positively suspicious of any effort to lead it in that fashion.

In terms of negative impact from an error in judgement, I'd rather a person be offended than the free speech of others be impeded.

Agreed - I am totally against incitement to hatred against an individual (in particular) or groups in general, though I more wary in the latter case. What I am against is the growing calls of people to have a right not to be offended. That should never serve as a condition for free speech, and indeed the law should be positively suspicious of any effort to lead it in that fashion.

In terms of negative impact from an error in judgement, I'd rather a person be offended than the free speech of others be impeded.

I would love Ireland to have Protected Free speech. The problem is though people get offended by this and that and agree on it. So as you said it should not be a right but alas. But this case is slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

TBH I think she has a persecution complex like a significant number of third wave feminists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

steddyeddy wrote: »
    TBH I think she has a persecution complex like a significant number of third wave feminists.

I believe its the forth wave we're now being deluged with. The one's who hate everyone.

Bahar Mustafais could be considered a poster girl sorry women for all that is wrong with modern diversity - narrow minded, self serving, hateful, ideological, mean spirited

The cynical white male in me isn't all that surprised she made Welfare and Diversity Officer in a student union. The world weary part of me is bemused that such a jobsworth role exists in such a trendy lefty environment - surely the "Dont be a dick" rule suffices?

In my time there was only "Welfare Officer". When did they nail on the Diversity bit? One man's diversity might impeded another man's Welfare ffs!!!

• Advertisement

In my time there was only "Welfare Officer". When did they nail on the Diversity bit? One man's diversity might impeded another man's Welfare ffs!!!

When people became special snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Are these kind of characters paid actual salaries, by actual educational institutions??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't think she should be arrested but I do think it highlights the sort of vague feeling of persecution some feminists have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Good and about time.
    If a Caucasian male said what she said in reverse they would rightfully face the courts and prison. A disgrace it hasn't happened sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't think she should be arrested but I do think it highlights the sort of vague feeling of persecution some feminists have.

It goes beyond that to race. How she had got this far is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Very Bored wrote: »
    Thought they were only for kids?

Also, they're a badge of honour in some parts.

Badge of honour? I would expect so but as for kids? Not so...

This is more of the kind of flavour I was thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender".

I'm so sick of feminists pushing this utter bullsh!t. Apart from the censorship thing, this was the other big issue which led me to not only disassociate from feminism but label myself an anti-feminist. The majority of mainstream, vocal feminists push this bullsh!t - it's a viewpoint which is enforced on almost every feminist forum, blog, discussion etc - and it essentially allows feminists to justify any number of double standards which either unfairly benefit women or unfairly disadvantage men.

And before we get the "no true Scotsman" argument as always, merely disagreeing with this sentiment is not enough. If indeed most feminists do not oppose these views, then they need to demand that those who do stop claiming to represent feminism when pushing this agenda in the media and in public.

Having said all of this, I absolutely oppose her being brought to court. Nobody should be prosecuted for expressing an opinion, regardless of how repulsive, with the exception of direct libel against specific individuals. Freedom of speech is more important than any perceived right not to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

RayM wrote: »
    It's a 'hate crime' in the same way as Baz Ashmawy's 'Fifty Ways to kill your Mammy' on Sky 1 is incitement to matricide. Get some perspective. Jesus wept.
    Would you have the same opinion if it were misogynists using a twitter hashtag like #KillAllWomen? Even if it was supposidly "just a joke?"

I doubt it. A lot of people would have a real problem with that, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd presume your gaming choices are very limited given the inherent white male bigotry and racism that frames much of modern game design.

I only play games pre-approved by Feminist Frequency. Or at least, I play them until the glorious day comes when we ban all videogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

wakka12 wrote: »
    I suppose..but really were any white males even slightly offended by this? If it said no gays or no blacks it would cause real hurt. I don't care about what she said, Im a white male, and I honestly don't think theres any white male out there who felt genuinely offended or hurt by this issue

Whether is offended anybody is irrelevant - if it would be illegal to target it at one demographic, then it should be illegal to target it at any demographic. No discrimination should be acceptable when it comes to what is and is not ok.

Bearing in mind that I still don't believe that she should go to jail, but nor would I believe that a man who tweeted something similar with the genders reversed should. My issue is that feminists use this "privilege" bullsh!t to justify double standards while claiming to believe in equality. The two are mutually exclusive - you can have double standards, or you can have equality. You cannot cherry pick the aforementioned based on whether or not it benefits you.

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    I only play games pre-approved by Feminist Frequency. Or at least, I play them until the glorious day comes when we ban all videogames.

Lies! No games are approved by Feminist Frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is it wrong to be prejudiced against stupid people who think they're smart people?

I think I may be a bigot. I'm bad. I should feel bad. I do. That woman is a stupid people who thinks she's a smart people.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Some fugly bint hates white men, sorry but my give a fcukometer is registering zero. She prolly fisting herself now while at the same time patting herself on the back thinking about just how edgy she is. Methinks someone has daddy issues tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

kstand wrote: »
    Good and about time.
    If a Caucasian male said what she said in reverse they would rightfully face the courts and prison. A disgrace it hasn't happened sooner

Nobody would go to prison for that. The "If this were reversed" stuff tends towards hyperbolic, often with little basis.
    SeanW wrote: »
    Would you have the same opinion if it were misogynists using a twitter hashtag like #KillAllWomen? Even if it was supposidly "just a joke?"

I doubt it. A lot of people would have a real problem with that, and rightly so.

Apparently that twitter hashtag does indeed exist, to little reaction or comment.

It was mentioned up-thread. Did you read the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No different to BNP voting idiots and the like, just on the other side of the fence. I've heard that one before, that minorities "cannot be racist" because they are a minority, and it is, to be blunt, boll*cks.

Oxford Dictionary
    Definition of racism in English:
    noun

[MASS NOUN]
    1Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:
    a programme to combat racism
    MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
    SYNONYMS
    1.1The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:
    theories of racism

She absolutely deserves to face the brunt of this, it's vile sh*te that has no place in society, and only serves to help 'majority racists' "cause". Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

RayM wrote: »
    Any man who was genuinely offended by her silly tweet really needs to have a long, hard look at himself. Consider developing a thicker skin, perhaps. And a sense of perspective while you're at it.

So, imagine you're a white lad at her university. You're broke and hungry (or whatever situation necessitates a visit to the welfare officer) and she's coming out with all this anti white men crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Links234 wrote: »
    I wonder, would all the people who voted yes be in favour of a trip to the joy for every After Hours user who said "we should round up all the knackers, stick 'em on an island and nuke it" or words to that effect? Y'know, for inciting violence or something, whatever trumpted up ****e this woman's being charged with.
    I agree. Saying something stupid on twitter is stupid and extremely misguided if you are a welfare officer, but it is not imo a hate crime .Courts should have enough actual crime to deal with. Half of Facebook users etc would have to be investigated. This would cost a fortune and serve no purpose..

kstand wrote: »
    Good and about time.
    I doubt it. People say things like that and stupider on Facebook, boards etc all the time with no consequences. And rightly so.

Two minds about it tbh. On the one hand, I hate to see anything which would fuel her persecution complex, she's enough of a martyr as it is.

On the other hand, I'd like to see her being made an example of to others so that they begin to realise that their words do actually have an effect on other people, and what one person may construe as the inoffensive and inane ramblings of a tumblr warrior, or a person who gets their jollies from insulting other people or encouraging other people to insult other people...

Someone else who is the target of such communications may actually take them seriously. We can tell them to get some perspective, but the more hateful crap I'm seeing posted online, I'm beginning to wonder - who really needs to get some perspective here, and why should anyone find this behaviour and these attitudes acceptable, and why should it be allowed to continue?

Make an example of them until people start getting the message that it's really not acceptable to attempt to humiliate and denigrate other people online.

"Don't be a dick" has never gone out of style, even though it may not be all that fashionable nowadays.

I agree with this too in a way bit she wasn't targeting anyone particular in her hash tag. Being against all white men isn't new for people with her interests. Unless there is more to it that I'm not seeing she is stupid but no worse than many posters on here saying kill all the travelers, poor people, polititions bankers et

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The people charging her for her idiotic #KillAllMen tweets are idiots

Basically, this story is full of idiots

Advertisement