Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's a measure of ability to apply oneself. At the end of the day that matters, the world is littered with intelligent failures....

You can fail every exam you ever take, find a way to cheat on these six or seven tests, and get the choice of wherever you want to go. Also, you are at the complete mercy of whoever marks you - I got a C2 in Honours English, appealed it, and it got moved to an A1, which was a joke. It also plays a noticeable role in our high teenage suicide rates.

It is a poor, outdated system in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Billy86 wrote: »
    You can fail every exam you ever take, find a way to cheat on these six or seven tests, and get the choice of wherever you want to go. Also, you are at the complete mercy of whoever marks you - I got a C2 in Honours English, appealed it, and it got moved to an A1, which was a joke. It also plays a noticeable role in our high teenage suicide rates.

I'd tend to agree with it being less than ideal, but the vast a majority of students who get high scores worked pretty hard for them. The cheaters will be found out because when you get an important job you have to apply yourself to do well. I went to a fairly big school and there were plenty of guys who got 550 plus, and 3 I think who got 600, some of them were really bright, some of them were fairly average but they could all work and focus, in the majority of jobs that's what really counts imo. i've worked with tons of people with loads of ability who were dossers. I'd tend to get on better with them but if I was hiring people for the vast majority of tasks I'd take the solid, steady, grafters who were accountable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

You can fail every exam you ever take...

Not to mention you can game it by taking "easy" subjects. Not all options at LC were created equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Why the fcuk do we, the people of Eire as your one Joan Brutal says, have to take in these immigrants into our quite tiny country with a lot of debt, only slightly coming out of reccession now as with jobs etc, and a hell of a lot of homelessness needing to be rectified?!

FFS like, its bad etc and these people should be helped but this whole thing is ridiculous for our country, esp right now, and herselfs ruling behind it after they come in from herself is fecking stupid also!

The Celtic tiger was one of the worst things to happen to this country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Even if instead of being widely accepted as an acceptable hazard it was a radical new theory, it still isn't a "flawed and downright silly". I was stating my opinion of what the dentist told me, I was stating I was annoyed at HIS rationalization of it. If you don't think they cause cancer at any level, then you should still be annoyed at him because his rationalization was what I was saying I was annoyed about.

The only possible way you could argue it as flawed is to say people don't have it as a popular opinion, hence it's an invalid post because it's not a popular opinion. However most people's implicit opinion is surely to trust the dental profession, so implicitly they believe that all hazards are worth it.

My unpopular opinion is that it's not worth what I believe I face. I don't know what I'm going to have to do the next time I have difficulties with my teeth, I've heard about other methods but they seem very difficult to find in Ireland.

Enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

why cant the immigrants be taken into other middle eastern countries like Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait, Iran, United Arab Emirates and more, why aren't any of these countries taking them?

There's German citizens now being evicted from their apartments because the buildings are being turned into refugee center's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

fin12 wrote: »
    why cant the immigrants be taken into other middle eastern countries like Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait, Iran, United Arab Emirates and more, why aren't any of these countries taking them?

They are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Steak is overrated.

OhDearyMe wrote: »
    They are.

Well why are they risking their lives so with young kids if these countries are taking them in?????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Steak is overrated.

no it's not. you're not doing it right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Syria's neighbours are taking in plenty of refugees, actually. http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php
    • Turkey has nearly 1.94 million as of 25 August.
    • Lebanon has nearly 1.08 million as of 30 September.
    • Jordan has nearly 629,000 as of 17 September.
    • Iraq has just over 247,000 as of 28 September.
    • Egypt has just over 132,000 as of 5 July.
    • The region of north Africa (the above link doesn't give a further breakdown of this figure) has 26,773 as of today.

By comparison, just over 440,000 Syrians have fled to Europe since the Syrian Civil War broke out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Bowlardo wrote: »
    no it's not. you're not doing it right

I've had a wide range of cuts cooked to different orders by a wide range of cooks from talented amateur to professionals and it's still overrated.

Middle eastern countries that have taken in Syrian refugees are: Iraq 247,861, Turkey 1.8 million, Lebanon 1.2 million, Jordan 628,427, Eygpt 133,000 but the richest middle eastern countries have taken in none, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Quatar and United Arab Emirates.

How can Europe be forced to take them while these rich neighboring countries get away with it?

Syria's neighbours are taking in plenty of refugees, actually. http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php
    • Turkey has nearly 1.94 million as of 25 August.
    • Lebanon has nearly 1.08 million as of 30 September.
    • Jordan has nearly 629,000 as of 17 September.
    • Iraq has just over 247,000 as of 28 September.
    • Egypt has just over 132,000 as of 5 July.
    • The region of north Africa (the above link doesn't give a further breakdown of this figure) has 26,773 as of today.

By comparison, just over 440,000 Syrians have fled to Europe since the Syrian Civil War broke out.

sorry i should have just said the wealthiest middle eastern countries refusing to take them.

Middle eastern countries that have taken in Syrian refugees are: Iraq 247,861, Turkey 1.8 million, Lebanon 1.2 million, Jordan 628,427, Eygpt 133,000 but the richest middle eastern countries have taken in none, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Quatar and United Arab Emirates.

How can Europe be forced to take them while these rich neighboring countries get away with it?

Where are you getting your figures from, out of curiosity?

Where are you getting your figures from, out of curiosity?

Amnesty International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wait, Israel haven't taken any Syrian refugees? Shocking :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Because those countries - the likes of Iran, Saudi and Israel - are run by some of the most horrible pieces of sh*t on Earth. It's unfortunate but I would rather not see the rest of the world lower itself to that level. The rest of the world will remember stuff like this when the oil money and such runs out, of that I have no doubt.

Amnesty International.

According to UNCHR stats, Kuwait has taken 120,000 and Saudi are claiming there's 100,000 refugees in the country right now, though that's in dispute. UAE don't feature. I agree that these specific countries should be taking in more, though they have donated quite a bit in financial aid - top 6 donors along with Germany, UK and USA.

• Advertisement

Because those countries - the likes of Iran, Saudi and Israel - are run by some of the most horrible pieces of sh*t on Earth. It's unfortunate but I would rather not see the rest of the world lower itself to that level. The rest of the world will remember stuff like this when the oil money and such runs out, of that I have no doubt.

I can't post links but type in bloombergview "why don't gulf states accept more refugees" for info on what you said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Most people wouldnt look to the like of SA and think "lets learn how to deal with people from these guys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i fully accept that depression is a serious illness and I know one or two people genuinely afflicted .

but I think it's become quite popular .there is too much "I'm depressed " knocking about.
    It's become a popular illness that detracts from the people with actual depression.

Many people "claiming" depression would do better if they looked after themselves with diet and exercise .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

arayess wrote: »
    i fully accept that depression is a serious illness and I know one or two people genuinely afflicted .

but I think it's become quite popular .that is too much "I'm depressed " knocking about.
    It's become a popular illness that detracts from the people with actual depression.

Many people "claiming" depression would do better if they looked after themselves with diet and exercise .

there needs to be a new word for the chemically imbalanced cant-get-out-of-bed levels of incurable depression. feeling like **** because you treat yourself and your life like **** is not on the same level as someone who hates themselves so much they can't bring themselves to bother showering because what's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

strelok wrote: »
    there needs to be a new word for the chemically imbalanced cant-get-out-of-bed levels of incurable depression. feeling like **** because you treat yourself and your life like **** is not on the same level as someone who hates themselves so much they can't bring themselves to bother showering because what's the point.

you said it better than I could !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't post links but type in bloombergview "why don't gulf states accept more refugees" for info on what you said above.

Here's the article: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-09-04/why-don-t-gulf-states-accept-more-refugees-

TBH, if I was fleeing from Da'esh and al-Qaeda's "franchises", I sure as hell wouldn't want to go to a totalitarian kingdom that's almost as bad as them. The Gulf states aren't signatories to the UN Refugee Convention, so technically they don't have to register refugees.

arayess wrote: »

but I think it's become quite popular .there is too much "I'm depressed " knocking about.

Completely agree. Or realize that their "depression" is entirely circumstantial (bad job, bad house, etc) and yet do nothing to try and fix these. Most circumstances can be fixed. Better off spending your energy seeing which can be fixed and which can't, rather than just lying in a bed of your own sh1t, effectively.

TBH, if I was fleeing from Da'esh and al-Qaeda's "franchises", I sure as hell wouldn't want to go to a totalitarian kingdom that's almost as bad as them. The Gulf states aren't signatories to the UN Refugee Convention, so technically they don't have to register refugees.

Thanks for posting article.

Yep. I understand why we'd question why they're not taking in more (it's a reasonable enough question) but people saying that if the refugees are genuinely desperate, they'd flee to their nearest country...but surely you'd flee to the country where you'd be most welcome and safe? When the Irish left in the late 1800s in their droves, they fled to the US, the supposed land of opportunity, not the UK (that came later) or Poland or Italy etc. They risked their lives for a better life - which anyone in their right mind would do hence why they're coming to Europe, a relatively safe, humane territory (or so they're lead to believe) where refugee status is acknowledged. The constant suspicion from quarters of their motives really does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The same thing that's wrong with Tahiti's world class footballers, I would imagine. :pac:

Actually Ireland are in the top 1%. Some of the science we publish is in the top ten most cited papers in the world. I can't comment on art or law degrees though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

Thanks for posting article.

Yep. I understand why we'd question why they're not taking in more (it's a reasonable enough question) but people saying that if the refugees are genuinely desperate, they'd flee to their nearest country...but surely you'd flee to the country where you'd be most welcome and safe? When the Irish left in the late 1800s in their droves, they fled to the US, the supposed land of opportunity, not the UK (that came later) or Poland or Italy etc. They risked their lives for a better life - which anyone in their right mind would do hence why they're coming to Europe, a relatively safe, humane territory (or so they're lead to believe) where refugee status is acknowledged. The constant suspicion from quarters of their motives really does my head in.

The Irish that went to the US were economic migrants too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement