Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually Ireland are in the top 1%. Some of the science we publish is in the top ten most cited papers in the world. I can't comment on art or law degrees though

To be fair we do have a good reputation on the whole yes, but outside of perhaps Trinity I dont think we would rank highly on any one specific area, on a college-by-college basis. Could be wrong on that, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair we do have a good reputation on the whole yes, but outside of perhaps Trinity I dont think we would rank highly on any one specific area, on a college-by-college basis. Could be wrong on that, mind.

UCC does, UCC has been recognized as one of the leading universities worldwide for scientific research CWTS Leiden Ranking 2015.

UCC has topped the ranking in Ireland and now holds 16th position in Europe and 52nd Worldwide.

The CWTS Leiden Ranking 2015 ranked the 750 universities worldwide with the largest publication output in international scientific Journals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Trolls are my guilty pleasure and the site wouldn't be as good/entertaining without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Syria's neighbours are taking in plenty of refugees, actually. http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php
    • Turkey has nearly 1.94 million as of 25 August.
    • Lebanon has nearly 1.08 million as of 30 September.
    • Jordan has nearly 629,000 as of 17 September.
    • Iraq has just over 247,000 as of 28 September.
    • Egypt has just over 132,000 as of 5 July.
    • The region of north Africa (the above link doesn't give a further breakdown of this figure) has 26,773 as of today.

By comparison, just over 440,000 Syrians have fled to Europe since the Syrian Civil War broke out.

Something needs to be pointed out about these figures, those in Turkey are refugees but Turkey doesn't grant them "Refugee" status, you can't on one hand congratulate Turkey and hold them up as a country doing something and at the same time consider those that leave Turkey for Europe as "legitimate" asylum seekers and not economic migrants.
    Its one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Trolls are my guilty pleasure and the site wouldn't be as good/entertaining without them.

I have a soft spot for shhitposting. I normally brings out the people who take the internet waaaaaay too seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Billy86 wrote: »

We have a world leading expert on enzyme catalysis and we have one of the top ten most published scientists of all time in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Robsweezie wrote: »

+1 to that and I'll add that the Prison and Dispute Resolution boards are among the most entertaining on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Hungarians used prison labour to build their wire fence, we should also use prisoners for work that needs to be done instead of paying for them to sit on their holes with all the mod cons in the cells to entertain themselves with.

You have scobes like that lot the other day laughing as they go to prison, if they faced back breaking work for a 20 year sentence it wouldn't be long wiping the smirk off them.

Here's one that probably will be unpopular. If a girl tells me she doesn't get on with other girls warning bells go off.

The Hungarians used prison labour to build their wire fence, we should also use prisoners for work that needs to be done instead of paying for them to sit on their holes with all the mod cons in the cells to entertain themselves with.

You have scobes like that lot the other day laughing as they go to prison, if they faced back breaking work for a 20 year sentence it wouldn't be long wiping the smirk off them.

The problem there is that it can often take work away from people outside prison, as prisons will be able to get their 'staff' to do it for less than 10% of the price. Then you get more people on the dole, or even worse turning to crime. Can't remember exactly where, but I saw it highlighted in regards to US private prisons and carpentry; think it was from Arizona with that Sheriff Joe eejit who costs the state way, way more money than he saves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All the England knocked out of the rugby memes. I know they're English and hence worse than Nazis but there's such a thing as being a bad winner.
    Imagine the outrage here if we got the same treatment. We can dish it out but can't take it.

Here's one that probably will be unpopular. If a girl tells me she doesn't get on with other girls warning bells go off.

I actually don't think that many people would disagree if they gave it a bit of thought.

I mean if a person doesn't get along with 51% of the human race then it might not be the other four billion people who have a problem.

"If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole.” - Raylan Givens

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I actually like the Spire.

All the England knocked out of the rugby memes. I know they're English and hence worse than Nazis but there's such a thing as being a bad winner.
    Imagine the outrage here if we got the same treatment. We can dish it out but can't take it.

And on that note... the above is a very Irish trait indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

My two most controversial would probably be:

1) Everyone who really wants a job will have no major problem finding one

2) Religion is the root of all Evil in the world. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DubDani wrote: »
    My two most controversial would probably be:

1) Everyone who really wants a job will have no major problem finding one

2) Religion is the root of all Evil in the world. :mad:

Religion is fine.
    People (and their interpretations of religion) are the problem.

I'm sure if there were no religions, people would start wars on what was their favourite colour.

Kev W wrote: »
    I actually don't think that many people would disagree if they gave it a bit of thought.

I mean if a person doesn't get along with 51% of the human race then it might not be the other four billion people who have a problem.

"If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole.” - Raylan Givens

Well the quote at the end may have been more apt to include both genders. I was spurred to post about it because a girl I work with constantly says she hates girls. Turns out she steals their boyfriends and the d1cks then hate her! The cheek!

At first I misread:
    Turns out she steals their boyfriends and the d1cks then hate her!

as
    Turns out she steals their boyfriends d1cks then ate them!

and thought "yeah, that'd put you off a person alright".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Religion is fine.
    People (and their interpretations of religion) are the problem.

I'm sure if there were no religions, people would start wars on what was their favourite colour.

Given that religion as a construct is entirely man made, you are correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

American is the biggest problem in the modern world.

And this..
    "MSF said 22 people were killed, some of whom burned to death in their beds as the bombing raid continued for more than an hour early on Saturday, even after US and Afghan authorities were informed the hospital had been hit"

• Advertisement

America (north) is one of the most backward developed nations on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Me too, it's usually portrayed as jealousy or whatever but there's usually a good reason for it.

"Women are so bitchy, I much prefer lads" - er no, by maligning 50% of the population, you're the bitchy one!

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Me too, it's usually portrayed as jealousy or whatever but there's usually a good reason for it.

"Women are so bitchy, I much prefer lads" - er no, by maligning 50% of the population, you're the bitchy one!

I'm really thick when it comes to this stuff. A friend of mine is very good looking and quite manipulative. She always said that women were jealous of her but I think it's more the fact that they'll cop her game faster than the lads will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    American is the biggest problem in the modern world.

That not an unpopulist opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Tommy Kay The DJ

Donald Trump would be a great president.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Those refugees coming here should all be placed in one location. Dispersing them around the country won't work because we'll eventually end up with a mosque in every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,680 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Donald Trump would be a great president.

Hillary would make an even better President!

Well, this thread is for unpopular opinions, and that one's right up there, whereas Donald Trump seems to have fairly popular support!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Those refugees coming here should all be placed in one location. Dispersing them around the country won't work because we'll eventually end up with a mosque in every county.

There are currently 22 mosques (in addition to numerous prayer centres) in the Republic of Ireland, spread across the 4 provinces. Would that make much of a difference?

Even if there were a mosque in every country, why would that be a big deal?

Hillary would make an even better President!

Well, this thread is for unpopular opinions, and that one's right up there, whereas Donald Trump seems to have fairly popular support!

Which is funny given that his entire policy seems to be "build a fence".

He is not going to win the election, likely will not even win the Republic nomination, and in my opinion doesnt even want to be president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

fiachr_a wrote: »

God forbid :confused::confused:

Ghettos are a disaster, lumping a lot of people into one place has proven to be a bad idea again and again and again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement