Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Picked up the winter cycling shirt in Aldi for €35. Very impressed with the quality at that price.

However what's the opinions on the bike stands for €35? They're a fraction of the price of stands elsewhere? Anyone bought one and what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Domane wrote: »
    Picked up the winter cycling shirt in Aldi for €35. Very impressed with the quality at that price.

However what's the opinions on the bike stands for €35? They're a fraction of the price of stands elsewhere? Anyone bought one and what do you think?

Got one last year and find it great, im sure it's not up to the standard of a park tool or equivalent which I cannot compare it to as I never used one. I have used it a lot in that time and cannot fault it at all. It lives outside in the shed and has stood up really well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Plenty of Hobgoblin left.

now your talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ok the bib tights are going back, while they are very snug, there is way too much of the budgie on show. The padding stop shy of the ball bag and goes right up the back.

Note: to anyone buying bib tights tonight or the following days that are potentially returned tights, wash them, I tried mine butt naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Got the battery powered lights, not bad for 8 euro considering all my lights enevitably get lost, stolen or broken. They Don't feel v strong but they shine well enough for my short daily commute... They'll do the job for a while anyway. Iv a feeling a deluge will destroy them tho but happy enough for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jon1981 wrote: »
    ok the bib tights are going back, while they are very snug, there is way too much of the budgie on show. The padding stop shy of the ball bag and goes right up the back.

Note: to anyone buying bib tights tonight or the following days that are potentially returned tights, wash them, I tried mine butt naked.
    Sounds like a women's cut

I won't post proof but definitely mens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

thejaguar wrote: »
    I was in Sandyford this morning when some lady skipped the queue and tried to take the last 2 Garmins for herself.

The poor chap on the till was not ready for the rage that ensued. He was just shrugging his shoulders saying "yeh, of course you can take 2"

Every other person in the queue was going ballistic.

I quietly gave up and walked back to have a look at the jackets and what not. Whereupon I spotted a lonely Garmin sitting in the display case.
    5 minutes later I was in my car with my new Garmin grinning like a cheshire cat.
    :D

Jesus that's cringeworthy, people are just nobs aren't they?
    I just tried this evening after I got home, guy said they are all gone, I laughed and said not surprised, thanked him and walked out. I'm glad I wasn't queueing like a gob****e this morning, I'd be embarrassed to behave like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

terrydel wrote: »
    Jesus that's cringeworthy, people are just nobs aren't they?
    I just tried this evening after I got home, guy said they are all gone, I laughed and said not surprised, thanked him and walked out. I'm glad I wasn't queueing like a gob****e this morning, I'd be embarrassed to behave like that.

I was disappointed with Greystones, far too polite. I patiently waited till they opened, politely asked one of the staff for a Garmin. Thanked him kindly. Paid for it and left
    Hardly Cabbage Patch Dolls for 2015
    Might go to a water protest to blow off the steam I'd been planning on unleashing this morning

medium sized bibs returned to Coolock Aldi. Probably gone by now :)

Picked up the premium front light. Not bad for a back up light, decent amount of light off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Got the leg warmers and found the pack able gilet in general bargin bin for a tenner,

The garmins were gone but they had crane GPS watches for €35 in the the Nenagh Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

no mens performance bibs left in Celbridge... looking for M size
    any Lucan or around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Also, the performance jacket looked really good, probably should have got one

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I hope you're all happy with your new gear. Now go do some cycling with it!! :D

I'm very happy with the leg warmers (got the bright ones - size XL) and the gloves (bright ones as well - size L). Went out for 50km spin just there, really nice indeed. Also the light set is grand. I haven't tried the front light since I only needed a back light but I've used the back light just there and it's quite bright but not very illuminating (hope this makes sense to some). Anyway - does the job, just what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tried on the performance jacket - wasn't that impressed and didn't buy it in the end. Zip caught just trying it on. I got leg warmers, lobster gloves and the waterproof socks on the clothing front. Wasn't looking for bibs, but there seemed to be a few left of every clothing option including shoes in greystones around half five.

They did have a few bib shorts and gillets left from the last time that they were selling off - mainly women's stuff though.

Did pick up the premium lights. Was just out testing the rear one, and tbh the 75 lumen traceR I was looking at seems overkill now. Very impressive, and turns out i wasnt even at top brightness. It'll be enough until its really dark in the mornings anyway.

Also picked up the electrolyte tabs - not that much of a bargain, but they were there...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

Went to 3 Aldis (fonthill, palmerstown, ballyfermot) looking for the performance jacket in L or XL, must be a popular bit of kit, I'll try belgard tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

picked up the cheap frog-style lights, pretty good for a fiver. also picked up one of the "performance" front lights - very bright, might not be enough for dark country roads at speed, but certainly bright enough to annoy oncoming motorists :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I went to Newlands Cross around half five. No garmins. Picked up the tights. Bit snug, but medium would have been too big I reckon. Got the lobster gloves which are well cosy, a beany for under the helmet, and the waterproof socks. Last pair of waterproof socks they had but took a chance on the size. They'll be returned tomorrow. Would have liked some overshoes but there were none left.

Now I just need winter tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

ted1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a women's cut

Bit graphic, no? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

anyone see any of the premium rear lights in stock in Dublin? My local in Finglas only had the front ones left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Both stores in letterkenny are sold out of the rear premium lights. I was out for short spin tonite during darkness and the rear light is excellent on dark country roads, I turned it down to the middle setting as I was concerned it was too bright.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    anyone see any of the premium rear lights in stock in Dublin? My local in Finglas only had the front ones left

Coolock had about 10-15 left at 7pm last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Tried on the performance jacket - wasn't that impressed and didn't buy it in the end. Zip caught just trying it on. I got leg warmers, lobster gloves and the waterproof socks on the clothing front. Wasn't looking for bibs, but there seemed to be a few left of every clothing option including shoes in greystones around half five.

What do you think of the lobster gloves?

Would have liked some overshoes but there were none left.
    It may have been what you were after, but they aren't tight/ neoprene overshoes. They're more commuter ones you'd use with waterproof trousers, rather than over clipless cycling shoes. Good if that's what you want though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone buy the winter gloves, what are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have the gloves (got them 2years ago, they haven't changed the design/material) and they're pretty good. They're not full winter gloves and they're not waterproof (more shower proof) They're warm and not overly thick so dexterity maintained. I have 3 pairs of long finger gloves, these are the middle pair, too warm for early autumn or late spring and not warm enough for deep winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Loads of everything in Ballincollig this morning

Except Garmins, didn't see them but wasn't looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

I have the gloves (got them 2years ago, they haven't changed the design/material) and they're pretty good. They're not full winter gloves and they're not waterproof (more shower proof) They're warm and not overly thick so dexterity maintained. I have 3 pairs of long finger gloves, these are the middle pair, too warm for early autumn or late spring and not warm enough for deep winter.

perfect. I bought a pair yesterday, wanted them for when it is too chilly for my unlined fingerless gloves and not cold enough to need my current winter gloves, which are altura and really thick and chunky. Plus these ones are portable enough that i can put them in my back pockets when cycling up the mountains if i am unsure whether i will need a warmer set.

I tried Rathmines and nutgrove but could not find any merino baselayers to fit me, ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I got the front 50 lumes light. I turned it on and it lit up the kitchen so it's a big change from the 5 led light I got last year also the cover for my backpac when commuting seems to be good quality.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    What do you think of the lobster gloves?
    They seem alright, fit wise. Haven't tested them on the bike yet, or in the cold obviously. I have the winter gloves from previous years, and they seem more padded than those and claim to be waterproof which the standard ones aren't.

Advertisement