Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's impossible to get smaller tenants in without an anchor tenant. If dunnes doesn't want it, I'm sure Supervalu would be interested in the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Any supermarket would do great in there, Tesco, Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi anything, everyoen that lives in the docklands has to go into town for proper shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Any supermarket would do great in there, Tesco, Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi anything, everyoen that lives in the docklands has to go into town for proper shopping.

There's an Aldi already open around the corner in East Wall road... and a Lidl has planning permission for across the road of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Aldi - Too close to their existing supermarket.

Tesco - Closing stores. Only opening convenience stores for the next few years.

Lidl - Publically stated that they are putting further Irish store openings on hold for now. Focusing on UK expansion.

SuperValu - Not a million miles from their store just outside the IFSC. Also, Dunnes Stores litigation would need to be resolved before anything could happen.

JTMan wrote: »
    SuperValu - Not a million miles from their store just outside the IFSC. Also,

You mean the Talbot Street Store? That's like 2km away from the Point. A massive spacing in an urban setting. The distance between the Talbot st and Aston Quay store is much smaller yet both stores get on just fine.

• Advertisement

Having lived in Spencer Dock, which is a mid way point, I always regarded SuperValu Talbort Street as being down the road. Also, the circular radius around the Point, includes the port / sea area, limits the catchment area, which is not the case for the other SuperValu stores.

Granted, some people in the Castleforbes direction would welcome a supermarket. Also, granted, the new bridges will open up greater access to the area from GCD.

Anyway, all that matters for now is that the new Dunnes Stores litigation is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

"Martinos Trattoria" opening soon in Point Village
    http://martinos.ie

wow! With the coffee shop, The Odeon, Yahoo and soon a restaurant inside the building it might be coming alive! The Tiger is back in dublin anyway so it wouldn't surprise me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The point village, the chq and conference centre are completely different locations. I dunno why you're taking like its part of the same area.

The area around the 3 arena, point village has got a lot busier since even last year and there's a lot of through traffic as well. It would probably support another spar/centra style place. But not much bigger I'd guess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's decent odds it will be in one of the retail units in Castleforbes rather than the actual centre at the rate its going...

• Advertisement

New Bar seems to have opened/will be opening. "charcoal Bar" is new on the big Shopping centre Sign. Cant find anything about it online.

Just called the management, The ENTIRE ground floor of the Shopping centre has been let and will be opening before the end of the year!!!

Just called the management, The ENTIRE ground floor of the Shopping centre has been let and will be opening before the end of the year!!!

Did management tell you as to whom the retail space is rented to?

He said he wasnt allowed to say just yet. But the first opening would be inside the old Harrys Bar in 2 weeks, with an area on top (outside). And the Italian Restaurant to follow. All he said was that the entire ground flow has been let and would be opening more and more by unil the end of the year. So here to hoping!

I think the area has a lot of potential and (at least in Dublin) the Tiger seems to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

I wonder if Dunnes are opening?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's fit out works on the unit beside the side door (to the laneway) at the moment.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/49650-tallest-sign-in-ireland-ere

I dont think they would put up this huge sign for no reason :)

Also the new charcoal bar sign is on it since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

The area is definitely on the up and with construction work recommenced to complete the New Central Bank for occupation at end of 2016 by 1500 office workers it can only mean that more shops and restaurants will open up

A lot of works going on there. Would be nice if they would communicate a few plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Has this opened?

• Advertisement

Nope.

Starbucks, Eddie Rockets and Pianos Plus 'and others' named in the media today as opening 'soon' or 'early next year' depending on the source. Seems the letting agent is the source

A decent number of units are "under offer" on their site, all on the ground floor near the main entrance door.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

the receivers looking for planning permission to add value to the site so they can flip it for even more

I live next door and believe me this is a long overdue and welcome development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

subpar wrote: »

Except it's pretty darned fugly. Could we not get a better designed tall building?

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-tallest-office-building-2330947-Sep2015/

Second picture, looks like a giant wall to keep out invaders as they sail up the Liffey!

And it's not tall enough, pretty sure it can go to 80-odd metres down that part of the docks

I expect it'll be rejected on the grounds of fugliness. And honestly it needs to be higher and more slender.

subpar wrote: »

Same here (Liffey Trust), funny thing is, rent has been increased across the board in the area even though its still a pretty dead area until this finally opens :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Except it's pretty darned fugly. Could we not get a better designed tall building?...

+1

One boring glass monolith after another. Is there not lot of empty office space around here already. That's been empty for years. If they can't fill that, why would they be able to fill this new building? Other than Yahoo what else has come into the area?

• Advertisement

The Central Bank will be open late next year , and there is a strong possibility the either KPMG or Ernst and Young will relocate close by in the north docklands.

Expect to see 2 new hotesl built in the area along with a new car park on the site of the old A1 facility in upper sheriff St.

Also C.I.E. who own the old disused paper store next door to the Liffey Trust Building have plans to redevelop the site

You also have the major office / apartments development by Oxley / Barrymore adjoining the central bank, for which planning permission was lodged 2 months

Advertisement