Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Having said that I continue to believe there will be some fixed wireless points in the roll out, with the majority being served by FTTH.

I expect FTTH to be used for most premises, with LTE from Eircom and Vodafone masts to be used for a very small number of homes.

I don't expect to see any of the FWA companies win any of the contracts. They simply don't have the scale and presence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    The new August Report is out http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/SiteCollectionDocuments/Broadband/FINAL%20August%20REPORT.pdf
    It shows they're considering a Fixed Wireless Access Network

Ripplecom, being the biggest FWA provider in the country, is definitely worried about their future. This trial was a joke (as others have said, and I did over on the IoffL forum) with 7 customers, of course it'll be great speeds. But how many "potential" NBP customers are in that red triangle? Hundreds? Thousands? What kind of sh1t speed would they get from that mast if they were all connected to it? :eek:

This is the DCENR at least being seen to be doing the proper thing and looking at all of the options and then ignoring them when Eircom or Siro promise a true future proofed plan that meets the financial targets.

My little Broadband Group will definitely be making a submission on the public consultation to the NBP and we will definitely be calling for FTTH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

bk wrote: »
    I don't expect to see any of the FWA companies win any of the contracts. They simply don't have the scale and presence for it.
    The fact that the government plans to split the country into only 2 or 3 areas means they have no intention of giving the wireless companies a contract. It's one for Eircom, one for SIRO, and possibly one for another major player.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KOR101 wrote: »
    The fact that the government plans to split the country into only 2 or 3 areas means they have no intention of giving the wireless companies a contract. It's one for Eircom, one for SIRO, and possibly one for another major player.

Yes, if that ends up being the plan, then the wireless operators won't get a look in. They would only stand a chance of getting it if the contracts were broken down to per village size or something similar.

But if it is just 1 to 3 big contracts, then likely only Eircom and Siro would be big enough to win it.

Now as part of their contract Eircom/SIRO might use their own LTE and FWA to reach the most rural locations. But I'd expect they would use FTTH in most cases.

My only fear would be that imagine might win one of those contracts. I'd hate to be stuck in an area getting serviced by crappy Imagine service while the rest of the country gets hooked up to FTTH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Yes, if that ends up being the plan, then the wireless operators won't get a look in. They would only stand a chance of getting it if the contracts were broken down to per village size or something similar.

But if it is just 1 to 3 big contracts, then likely only Eircom and Siro would be big enough to win it.

Now as part of their contract Eircom/SIRO might use their own LTE and FWA to reach the most rural locations. But I'd expect they would use FTTH in most cases.

My only fear would be that imagine might win one of those contracts. I'd hate to be stuck in an area getting serviced by crappy Imagine service while the rest of the country gets hooked up to FTTH!

I thought imagine in Dublin anyway had done some FTTH already - I'm not a Dub so could be wrong ?. Plus there is the whoaful traffic shaping being done on imagines lines - its pretty bad 24/7

• Advertisement

dbit wrote: »
    I thought imagine in Dublin anyway had done some FTTH already - I'm not a Dub so could be wrong ?. Plus there is the whoaful traffic shaping being done on imagines lines - its pretty bad 24/7

Not that I'm aware of and certainly nothing about it on their site.

Maybe they have fiber to one or two new build buildings somewhere. Or perhaps you are mixing them up with Digiweb/Smart who do have a fiber network and also wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's magnet FTTBasement I suspect you're thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Yea that be terrible I suspect imagine and ripplecom will team up and try win some of NBP the problem with LTE is some areas it won't work like we're I live I can't get a good mobile reception so I wouldnt say fixed wireless would be great for me either.Im on DSL so I would hope since I'm on that I would get FTTH if I'm on Eircom side finger cross they win or siro.

I know it's only 10 days, but that might only be the beginning.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/news-and-media/en-ie/Pages/PressRelease/Minister-White-extends-public-consultation-on-broadband-intervention.aspx

I wonder which stakeholders have been knocking on Alex White's door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The September Report has been published on the DCENR site. Interestingly it mentions a meeting the NBP team had with a new company, Gigabit Fibre Limited, which to quote the department "has been set up for the sole purpose of tendering for the NBP contract or contracts"

Doing a bit of searching I see it has been co-founded by ex-Eircom Business managing director Ronan Kneafsey.

Listed on Solocheck as directors (two of five) are:
    Alan Harper
    Andrew Sangster

Does anyone have any more information on this new entrant to the race?

• Advertisement

The September Report has been published on the DCENR site. Interestingly it mentions a meeting the NBP team had with a new company, Gigabit Fibre Limited, which to quote the department "has been set up for the sole purpose of tendering for the NBP contract or contracts"

Doing a bit of searching I see it has been co-founded by ex-Eircom Business managing director Ronan Kneafsey.

Listed on Solocheck as directors (two of five) are:
    Alan Harper
    Andrew Sangster

Does anyone have any more information on this new entrant to the race?
    Well going by the name I hope they do FTTH and not fixed wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ED E wrote: »

I'm a few kms from Dublin city centre and can't get fibre... will we be subsidised?

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm a few kms from Dublin city centre and can't get fibre... will we be subsidised?

Are you in a blue area or amber area?

If it's blue you are SOOL.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Are you in a blue area or amber area?

If it's blue you are SOOL.

SOOL?I'm guessing here; does that mean seriously out of luck?

How do I know if we're blue or amber?

SOOL?I'm guessing here; does that mean seriously out of luck?

How do I know if we're blue or amber?

I wouldn't have put it quite so ... eloquently :rolleyes:, but you have the correct interpretation of the abbreviation.

To see if you are blue or amber, you can consult the relevant map here.

I wouldn't have put it quite so ... eloquently :rolleyes:, but you have the correct interpretation of the abbreviation.

To see if you are blue or amber, you can consult the relevant map here.

Is that map for real? It's a f**king picture from an ordnance survey map!? Seriously; this is a broadband initiative and in place of interactive maps; these lads are using pictures.

Good grief.

I think (THINK) we're in an amber area. But how could you tell really..

Actually, cross referencing with google maps, I think there's a big blue ballpoint blob right over where our house is. Must be because of that wonder ADSL cabinet we're all so lucky to be connected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

lol yeah; they've put our DSL cabinet in the blue zone

That was the one I was looking for. It's been a while since I was on the site and I thought they'd dumped it for those crappy maps when the re-designed the site.

lol yeah; they've put our DSL cabinet in the blue zone

Oh well - that means you are covered by a commercial operator, so you won't be entitled to 30Mbps/6Mbps if this plan ever takes off.

Are UPC in your area? They would be your best bet if possible.

• Advertisement

Oh well - that means you are covered by a commercial operator, so you won't be entitled to 30Mbps/6Mbps if this plan ever takes off.

Are UPC in your area? They would be your best bet if possible.

they are

for MMDS :o

they are

for MMDS :o

Oh sweet Jebus!
    iWKad22b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

the State will pay the cost of building a high speed broadband network,

That implies - to me - that the state is paying the full cost of the infrastructure.

I had previously seen discussion on whether the infrastructure would be privately owned; State owned; or jointly owned, without any definite outcome.

Might this mean the infrastructure will be State owned?

That implies - to me - that the state is paying the full cost of the infrastructure.

I had previously seen discussion on whether the infrastructure would be privately owned; State owned; or jointly owned, without any definite outcome.

I thought the plan was that the state would foot 50% of the cost, with the winning provider(s) paying the other 50%.

Whether it is Private/State/Jointly owned is up for decision. You can look at what is proposed and make a submission here.

i think it going to be 50/50 because isp that win has to match the money it get so say one company win it all they have to match 355m or 512m it cost to build.it be 1billion or 700m with ISP money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

They aren't taking into account the Eircom announcement re upgrading cabinets directly to ftth. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭niallb

funnyname wrote: »
    They aren't taking into account the Eircom announcement re upgrading cabinets directly to ftth. Why?

Because "announcements" are not a technology recognised to provide a measurable 30Mbit connection to a home.

Loads of cabinets are down for upgrade to fttc and as such are announcements too but they are being included.

niallb wrote: »
    Because "announcements" are not a technology recognised to provide a measurable 30Mbit connection to a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

funnyname wrote: »
    Loads of cabinets are down for upgrade to fttc and as such are announcements too but they are being included.
    The government is skeptical that there really is a business case for providing FTTH for those 300,000 premises. They say in their recent updates that the are examining these proposals to assess their viability. So they won't exclude those premises from the NBP, unless they're satisfied that Eircom is not spoofing.

• Advertisement

Let's hope they start on the buildings not covered by Eircom's plans so that they don't end up wasting millions on rollout speeds that are obsolete before they begin.
    KOR101 wrote: »
    The government is skeptical that there really is a business case for providing FTTH for those 300,000 premises. They say in their recent updates that the are examining these proposals to assess their viability. So they won't exclude those premises from the NBP, unless they're satisfied that Eircom is not spoofing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement