Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

rustalan wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what this is about?

https://twitter.com/DCENR/status/621235368248102912

"We'll be publishing Ireland's Broadband Intervention Strategy at Croke Park this morning. Follow us using #connectingcommunities"

See here: http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/B92EB6C6-D66A-4FC5-B55A-CFD852C24595/0/NBPJulyreport.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

https://twitter.com/DCENR/status/621263776113934336

Looks like we won't know the type of technology until September.

https://twitter.com/DCENR/status/621263776113934336

Looks like we won't know the type of technology until September.
    Dam well that sucks

rob808 wrote: »
    Dam well that sucks

On the upside, it looks like the plan is to have it rolled out by 2020.

https://twitter.com/DCENR/status/621262557354041344

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/DCENR/status/621262557354041344
    let hope it not all LTE
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Alex White (1 hour ago on twitter) "The intervention area, as it stands, comprises over 750,000 addresses and 1.8 million of our citizens"

It still isn't clear what the position is regarding the 300,000 homes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the government has accepted in any of their statements that Eircom WILL provide those homes outside the plan. Someone at Eircom told me that he believed those homes would end up in the plan despite the earlier announcement. I never posted it because it was a comment made in passing, and I never got a chance to query exactly why he thought that.

If those homes are not in the plan, there is no 'guarantee' that they will get it.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Alex White (1 hour ago on twitter) "The intervention area, as it stands, comprises over 750,000 addresses and 1.8 million of our citizens"

It still isn't clear what the position is regarding the 300,000 homes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the government has accepted in any of their statements that Eircom WILL provide those homes outside the plan. Someone at Eircom told me that he believed those homes would end up in the plan despite the earlier announcement. I never posted it because it was a comment made in passing, and I never got a chance to query exactly why he thought that.

If those homes are not in the plan, there is no 'guarantee' that they will get it.
    From the Intervention Strategy today.......

"The map is being kept under review to ensure that relevant commercial plans are accurately reflected. There have been some significant proposals from industry in recent months. The Department is reviewing these proposals, assessing their technical and financial aspects and the robustness of their deployment plans."

• Advertisement

Good news that the Government doesn't seem to favour a single winner by offering 2, 3 or more lots. Not sure who can do it beyond, Eircom and SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Are they targets or minimum accepted targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/AF3F0DB9-5D50-480A-BE2F-0EB18D4699E7/0/ProposedInterventionStrategy.pdf

Technical Report - http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5626AFA7-4524-48AA-B88D-09A0AD95CA1D/0/TechnicalReport.pdf

Looks to be 30Mb D/L minimum and 6Mb U/L minimum.

" The Department is proposing to set the following technical standards to be met by the winning bidder(s) in the procurement process:
    • A minimum of 30Mbps download
    • A minimum of 6Mbps upload
    • Latency – no more than 25 milliseconds
    • Jitter – no more than 25 milliseconds
    • Packet loss – not more than 0.1%
    • Service availability – at least 99.95% of the time".

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Roll on fibre so. LTE and FWA will never meet that unless they have a very high mast to user ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

PeadarB wrote: »
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/AF3F0DB9-5D50-480A-BE2F-0EB18D4699E7/0/ProposedInterventionStrategy.pdf

Technical Report - http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5626AFA7-4524-48AA-B88D-09A0AD95CA1D/0/TechnicalReport.pdf

Looks to be 30Mb D/L minimum and 6Mb U/L minimum.

" The Department is proposing to set the following technical standards to be met by the winning bidder(s) in the procurement process:
    • A minimum of 30Mbps download
    • A minimum of 6Mbps upload
    • Latency – no more than 25 milliseconds
    • Jitter – no more than 25 milliseconds
    • Packet loss – not more than 0.1%
    • Service availability – at least 99.95% of the time".

Considering I get an average of around 3-5% loss (sometimes worse) at peak times on my WISP (to their own internal server) I dont think they'd be in with a shout at present! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

"I expect to be in a position to sign a contract or contracts with a winning bidder or bidders by mid-2016"
    I know this stuff takes time but if a contract won't be signed for another 12 months then work probably won't start until 2017. How do they expect to have 85% coverage in 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

chris_ie wrote: »
    Considering I get an average of around 3-5% loss (sometimes worse) at peak times on my WISP (to their own internal server) I dont think they'd be in with a shout at present! :D

Wait wait wait hang on and where si the capacity allowance in this ? OR will the regional resellers be allowed put ridiculous caps on everything ? I smell extortionate over charges ?

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    "I expect to be in a position to sign a contract or contracts with a winning bidder or bidders by mid-2016"
    I know this stuff takes time but if a contract won't be signed for another 12 months then work probably won't start until 2017. How do they expect to have 85% coverage in 2018.
    This was the one big disappointment. That is presumably after the election. :eek: And, also this is the first time I've heard MID 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

dbit wrote: »
    Wait wait wait hang on and where si the capacity allowance in this ? OR will the regional resellers be allowed put ridiculous caps on everything ? I smell extortionate over charges ?
    "The NBP objective is that the services to be delivered must be of similar speed and quality to those available in urban areas and towns, and prices must be aligned with national prices for such services."
    - from Section 7.8 Retail and wholesale services must be affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

How can he say that when they don't know what technology they are using

Smells like election promises to me !

• Advertisement

It's clear now that the government has fibre in mind, and nothing else. Alex White has said they are looking for a once and for all solution. There is also this from the RTE report.........

Measures will also be put in place, the plan proposes, to ensure smaller local fixed wireless operators are able to compete with larger national or regional operators and incumbents when it comes to offering retail services.

........so, that's how they intend to deal with the existing wireless providers. They will be given certain advantages as fibre resellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

It's clear now that the government has fibre in mind, and nothing else. Alex White has said they are looking for a once and for all solution. There is also this from the RTE report.........

Measures will also be put in place, the plan proposes, to ensure smaller local fixed wireless operators are able to compete with larger national or regional operators and incumbents when it comes to offering retail services.

........so, that's how they intend to deal with the existing wireless providers. They will be given certain advantages as fibre resellers.

Shure how else will paddy the plasterer, sean the sheep and peppa pig get theyre dirty greedy hands into the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Minimum upload speed

6Mbit/s or twice the maximum upload speed of any existing broadband services available in the Intervention Areas, whichever is greater

I think the implication of this is easy to miss.

I am in an intervention area.
    Some people, depending on their location, can avail of fixed wireless BB.

Reading the quote above, everybody in the intervention area will have to get a minimum of twice what anybody can get ....... we know how a lot of the advertised figures are exaggerated but it seems this might bite back now.

6Mb/s or 2 x the Max upload speed of ANY existing service in the area.

It looks like they are pushing the upload speed to the point where fixed wireless will be excluded except in very exceptional circumstances.

it going to be 50/50 network the goverment owning half and the winning bidder or bidders owning the other half.it should be interesting :).This what siro said http://siro.ie/national-broadband-plan/?utm_source=nbp&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nbp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Nollog

“the Government’s ambitious National Broadband Plan’s ambitions."

Sounds like a perfect match to me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm delighted with the news that is being reported here.

It is clear that 4G LTE is out of the question and it also looks like the WISPs will be largely knocked out.

It looks like it will mainly be FTTH, with maybe a little VDSL and perhaps in super extreme cases FWA to reach a lonely house on top of a mountain.

Even where FWA is used, I don't expect it will be a WISP, instead Eircom or SIRO using FWA in extraordinary cases.

So far it all sounds very good. We just need to make sure it actually gets done now.

bk wrote: »
    I'm delighted with the news that is being reported here.

It is clear that 4G LTE is out of the question and it also looks like the WISPs will be largely knocked out.

It looks like it will mainly be FTTH, with maybe a little VDSL and perhaps in super extreme cases FWA to reach a lonely house on top of a mountain.

Even where FWA is used, I don't expect it will be a WISP, instead Eircom or SIRO using FWA in extraordinary cases.

So far it all sounds very good. We just need to make sure it actually gets done now.
    yea sound good and it nice what siro said with making a open FTTH network even in extreme rural areas and retiring the old copper network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

What are the chances of Fianna Fail getting back into Government next year and a few brown envelopes exchanging hands and hey presto 4G as the NBP? Or worse that WISP's get the money instead? We have seen a similar thing happen before in Australia with their ambitious network which was scuppered after a change of Government there.

Stinicker wrote: »
    What are the chances of Fianna Fail getting back into Government next year and a few brown envelopes exchanging hands and hey presto 4G as the NBP? Or worse that WISP's get the money instead? We have seen a similar thing happen before in Australia with their ambitious network which was scuppered after a change of Government there.
    I don't think that can happen because it a contract and don't think Fianna Fáil would do that.There is a chance wisp could win NBP I hope they don't I would rather a open FTTH network with wisp being able to sell there products over because that would last way over 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

Wasn't the cost in Australia multiples of billions whereas here it'll be way less, well hopefully.

rob808 wrote: »
    I don't think that can happen because it a contract and don't think Fianna Fáil would do that.There is a chance wisp could win NBP I hope they don't I would rather a open FTTH network with wisp being able to sell there products over because that would last way over 20 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement