Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making people start work before 9am is 'torture' says sleep expert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Half 11 is early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Doesn't matter. If you start work at 10am you'll still be expected to put in your 8/9 hour day. If just like to go in early and get it out of the way.

I work nights at the moment, that's torture. Give me 8-4 any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Nope. I'm a "high and tight at 0600" merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

316 wrote: »
    Half 11 is early enough.
    Half 7 is a lie in to me

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Need to get up later = stay up later night before

Just go to bed at an earlier time if you think being at work for 9 is an early start. The day is half over at 9 o clock ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Flexi.
    Whatever keeps you less time in traffic especially when it can be so variable.
    Ridiculous.to enforce strict start times for most non time critical jobs when it's about getting stuff done, not about showing up. Punctuality and timekeeping is fine for jobs running to particular schedules and for clockwatchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Triangla wrote: »
    Need to get up later = stay up later night before

Just go to bed at an earlier time if you think being at work for 9 is an early start. The day is half over at 9 o clock ffs!

Some people are night owls.

And the day is half over by local noon. Which is about 1:30 pm in Dublin summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I am descended from a long line of bears. I don't like being awakened before 11am. Otherwise I'm cranky. Getting up at 6am for work is like serious abuse to me. I'm still going well after the midnight oil though unlike my "early bird" partner. The wimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Working nights the last two years, Just got a new job working 9-6 starting Monday and cannot wait for a change. I love mornings once I'm up and I can finally relax in the evening after work instead of going straight to bed.

Sure that was why Maxi had to stop doing her morning radio show on Radio 1. Years of early starts were messing with her body clock and made her quite sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Enforcing strict work times will simply not happen. to many business's operate on various different start times for a reason.

i start at 6 and i have to say whatever about getting up early but i dont mind it. Get up at four and have the whole day ahead either way, work is work no matter what time you wake up at you still gotta do the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I do 9-6, would much rather 8-4.30 and just take a 30 minute lunch as opposed to an hour!

I don't like early mornings but I hate getting home at 6.30 more, sure the evening is near over by the time you've had dinner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I used to do a 7-5 shift five days a week. You'd be so exhausted you could do very little even at the weekends. Not recommended long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Once this expert can convince the kids to stay in bed for an extra 2 hours then I'm fully on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've spent most of my working life on 12-9pm, 3-3am, etc. Its he'll, your whole day is ruined, you get do much before a 12pm start and you cant do anything after a 9pm finish.
    Hopefully leaving this industry soon and starting a 9-5pm job, if I could do 6-2pm or 7-3pm Id be in heaven.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I do 9-6, would much rather 8-4.30 and just take a 30 minute lunch as opposed to an hour!

I don't like early mornings but I hate getting home at 6.30 more, sure the evening is near over by the time you've had dinner

You are forced to lunch?

I too would prefer a 7-3 shift rather than 9-5 were I not a night owl. Problem is I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hahaha 9-5 is for kids in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You are forced to lunch?

Forced to work 9-6. I could just take a 30 minute lunch but I'd still have to work till 6 so what's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Senna wrote: »
    I've spent most of my working life on 12-9pm, 3-3am, etc. Its he'll, your whole day is ruined, you get do much before a 12pm start and you cant do anything after a 9pm finish.
    Hopefully leaving this industry soon and starting a 9-5pm job, if I could do 6-2pm or 7-3pm Id be in heaven.

Worked a fair few different hours in the "normal" working hours range, your right about 7-3.30 its nice (but it is easy to build up a big sleep debt without realizing it)

7-3.30 Best your off early enough to have a good bit of time to get too things that close at 4.30-6 (museums, banks, a lot of shops)

8 - 4.30 Not as good, still have to go to bed early and not enough time in the afternoon to do much,

9 - 5.30 Better can stay up a bit later e.g catch a film or have a few quiet scoops without hitting the sleep. Downside- hit the rush hour.

10 - 6.30 2nd Best, loose the entire afternoon but can stay up late and go to gigs and events

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

As if 9 to 5 exists. I work 8 to 7 five days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Robsweezie wrote: »
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/09/09/expert-sleep-deprivation-torture-later-work-day/71936336/

its now thought that the 9-5 routine is damaging us. Personally im not mad about getting up in the morning, not a morning person by a long shot but its a good habit to get into, you can feel better afterwards having dragged yourself out even on your worst, most exhausted days.

do you back this? a later start like 10am sounds like a good enough compromise without losing too much of the day.

so could someone now argue a case to the European Court of Human rights based on this evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm up at 5am every morning, early run then in for work at 7am.

That first alarm never really gets any less "OMG FML THIS IS BULLSH1T I WANT TO DIE" but I find five minutes into my run I'm enjoying that special early-morning silence and the birds tweeting and empty roads far more than an extra hour in bed. It's really a beautiful thing.

Did night shifts regularly in my last job and that is like living on a different planet. As the week passes you literally begin to feel like you're dying more and more. I'd say that kind of thing long-term could kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I'm definately a night owl. I hate mornings. If I have to set an alarm to get up before the time I'd wake naturally (about 0930), I instantly feel irritable on waking. This passes very quickly but waking up early makes me irritable. Unfortunately with a child who starts school at 0920, this happens almost every morning. I am a nurse and work shift work and the best shift I ever worked was a 1500-2300 shift that we used to do in the hospital I worked in in NZ. I find it much easier to stay up all night on a night duty than get up before 0700. I also hate going to bed early. My preferred sleeping times would be about 0100 until 0930-1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

An hour before 12 is worth two after it. For both work and sleep.

Says he at 1.30 am! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I have a "so long as the work gets done it's OK" job. They don't care if I rock in at 10 or 11pm.

But they also don't care when I'm still here at 8 or 9pm working late to meet a deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

An hour before 12 is worth two after it. For both work and sleep.

Says he at 1.30 am! :D
    So conversely wasting 1.5 hours here after 12 is not as bad as wasting an hour before 12. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EoinAFC

Once i'm up i'm generally active. I'm much more productive the earlier on in the day. Starting later would mean taking time off an evening, much rather have an evening off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I have worked some weird shifts - 6pm to "finish" perhaps midnight or perhaps after 6am...even to 9am (toy shop at xmas for many years) and teaching from 7-9am then back home to sleep and back in for 5-9pm. That may sound like craziness to honest to goodness 9 to 5ers, but it was, in an odd way, easier and fun actually, than a 9 to 5.

As a job seeker now, a 9 to 5 fills me with dread*

*Any employers looking for a good honest hard worker with good IT skills in D.3/CC , let me know...even if it's 9 to 5 :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I hate going to bed
    I hate getting out of bed

What's the solution?

Advertisement