Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making people start work before 9am is 'torture' says sleep expert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

People's rhythms are very different to one another.

I hate the mornings, so luckily I'm in a job where I can go into work for about 10 or so. I absolutely cannot stand "having" to be somewhere in the morning and the shit that that entails.

I'm more of a "night person", which is why I'm up now doing some work, listening to the 'Conan The Barbarian' soundtrack and arsing about on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I hate going to bed
    I hate getting out of bed

What's the solution?
    Become a chronic alcoholic?

Get well on before bed and drift off into blissful slumber...then be desperate to get up and have an aul drink to normalise.

Although rumour has it, it may affect your life in a negative way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

2am

Pretty sure this thread will be pro night owl for another hour. Then go quiet. Then become pro-lark at 6am-10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

2am

Pretty sure this thread will be pro night owl for another hour. Then go quiet. Then become pro-lark at 6am-10.
    You're forgetting about the poor cnuts of nightowls and larks that have to stay wakened to keep the rest of the nightowls and larks and safe when they'd rather be sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I hate going to bed
    I hate getting out of bed

What's the solution?
    Sleep on the floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There is a solution tho and that's start your own business.If you can of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I struggle to get up out of bed to get my dole before the post office closes at 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Would do hard time to be able to come into work for half nine or ten instead of nine. Waking up after half eight is ideal. Currently my alarm goes off at 7:30am and I suck the life out of every minute after that I'm still in bed like a famished African sucking on a cow's udder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

up at 6.30 every morning and work my balls of till 5, id love a 9-5 job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

I struggle to get up out of bed to get my dole before the post office closes at 5pm.

lol,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My hours are 8 to 4.30 and 3.30 on a Friday. I'd hate to start later. Used to start at 8.30 but would still be in at 8.00 to avoid the traffic anyway. Plus I like the quiet in the office before everyone else comes in at 8.30 or 9. My natural waking time seems to be 6.30 at the moment anyway so even if I started later I'd still be awake early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201005/why-night-owls-are-more-intelligent-morning-larks

End of the discussion, now and forever :D:D:D

Best working time I ever had was 14.00-23.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

It is torture. Think of how much of your life is wasted between work, commuting and sleep. It is not what our short lives should be for sure. Pure depressing. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

FalconGirl wrote: »
    It is torture. Think of how much of your life is wasted between work, commuting and sleep. It is not what our short lives should be for sure. Pure depressing. :(

our short lives are supposed to be spent hiding under trees so we don't get wet, working all day long capturing or preparing food and dying in agony at the slightest hint of a bacterial infection

to quote the great philospher Mark Corrigan

"It's only through the miracle of consumer capitalism that you're not lying in your own ****, dying at 43 with rotten teeth, and a little tablet with a picture of a chicken on it isn't going to change that."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I worked pretty much 8 am til 10 PM every day for the last two weeks.I'd do 9 to 5 standing on my head ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I'm definately a night owl. I hate mornings. If I have to set an alarm to get up before the time I'd wake naturally (about 0930), I instantly feel irritable on waking. .... I am a nurse and work shift work and the best shift I ever worked was a 1500-2300 shift that we used to do in the hospital I worked in in NZ. I find it much easier to stay up all night on a night duty than get up before 0700. I also hate going to bed early. My preferred sleeping times would be about 0100 until 0930-1000.

Pretty much the same for me. My paid employment has me coming in for a 9am start but it's a waste of my employer's money because I can't think straight till after half-ten (by which time we're into the winding-down phase before closing for lunch at 12) My unpaid employment has me helping out at festivals throughout the summer. I absolutely love doing the 4pm to 4am shift, then getting a couple of hours dancing in (only serious dancers left on the floor at that time!) before going to bed.

When I'm doing those late shifts or the equivalent at home between contracts, I only need about 5-6 hours sleep per day; working 09h00-19h00, I need at least 8 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

timthumbni wrote: »
    I am descended from a long line of bears. I don't like being awakened before 11am. Otherwise I'm cranky. Getting up at 6am for work is like serious abuse to me. I'm still going well after the midnight oil though unlike my "early bird" partner. The wimp.
    You signed yourself off nicely there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Mint Aero wrote: »
    As if 9 to 5 exists. I work 8 to 7 five days a week

I work 6am-7pm 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,245 ✭✭✭✭endacl

316 wrote: »
    Half 11 is early enough.

5:30?!?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I always did my best work before 10. I started at 7.30 and solved more issues in the first hour and a half than I did for most of the rest of the day. I'm a morning person by nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's commuting that kills me, I now live a 20 minute walk from my job and it's a dream. Even when I go to the gym during the week, I still have two- three hours at home to relax. Love it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

My dad used to work from 4.30am to about 11am seven days a week for over 30 yrs and was always self employed. My mother ran a B and B and also did nursing for about 10 yrs, both jobs entailed irregular and long hours and shift patterns etc.

Dad got type 2 diabetes and was also moderately obese by the age of 42. He died at the age of 78. In my own life I did 13 yrs of shift work in a large multinational and I can say now that it did not suit me especially the long hours ,12 hr shifts and nights alternating day and nights on a monthly pattern.

I took voluntary redundancy and healthwise I feel much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I have flexi time arrangements and have had different schedules over the year. Currently the earliest I can start is 8; previously I could start at 7.30. I prefer the 7.30 to 3.30/4pm option even to 8 to 4.30 because it was the most efficient way of avoiding the traffic.

People have different patterns so ultimately I don't think it's safe to say that before or after 9 is better. I wake most mornings at around 5.30, and I'm usualy up by 6, regardless of whether I'm aiming to be in work at 8 or at 9.30. But I'm utterly shattered trying to get home if I start work at 9.30 and I have no desire to do anything, even eat, in the evenings. So I now aim to arrive at work on the latest bus that will get me to work before 8.

I second comments about quiet offices early in the morning. You have no idea how much easier a day can be if you have 10 or 15 minutes of quiet time in the morning. Or indeed, how utterly noisy an open office can be.

The price is I have to be in bed and have switched off the light by 10.30, no ifs, no buts. There's a sweet spot around 10.30 where I fall asleep dead easy. If I stay awake even until 11 it becomes a battle to get to sleep and then it's a mess the following morning. I think the problem for a lot of people is they might just about buy the early start and getting stuff done, but they don't adjust the time they go to bed accordingly.

The Dublin rush hour is such that flexitime isn't benefitting much any more, certainly not on the later side. I have tried later buses and earlier buses. The earlier buses are, without exception, better on a time management front. After about 7.30, arrival times are unpredictable. The other point is lunch hours don't tend to adjust so much so either you've a longer morning, or a longer afternoon work wise. I've found a longer morning is better mentally than a longer afternoon. There's something nice about coming back from lunch and knowing it won't be long before you get to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

strelok wrote: »
    our short lives are supposed to be spent hiding under trees so we don't get wet, working all day long capturing or preparing food and dying in agony at the slightest hint of a bacterial infection

to quote the great philospher Mark Corrigan

"It's only through the miracle of consumer capitalism that you're not lying in your own ****, dying at 43 with rotten teeth, and a little tablet with a picture of a chicken on it isn't going to change that."

Ack, hunter gatherers spent a half hour, hour tops chasing a bison once a week. Until they ran out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

If your not in Saturday don't bother coming in Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Monday - Friday: Wake up at 7:30 - feel like a zombie until about 11:00
    Saturday - Sunday: Wake up at 8:00 - feel like I could run a marathon at 8:15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

I'm waiting for the day the world accepts the 1 on, 6 off model working week. Work sucks. If God intended us to work, he'd have given us four legs and a mane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Noobas2

Nights and early mornings bring on cancer/disease. I'm an expert BTW.

I'm up pre-dawn for run or swim, and since I live a five-minute stroll away, I'll often carry my breakfast to my office at 7.30 and will have an enormous amount of work done by the time my colleagues come in the door. There's nothing like a head start on the day. The mornings are my most productive and mentally sharp times, I make a point of dealing with the tricky stuff first thing.

Torture would be being made to wait until 11 to start work, what a waste of a morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Candie wrote: »
    I'm up pre-dawn for run or swim, and since I live a five-minute stroll away, I'll often carry my breakfast to my office at 7.30 and will have an enormous amount of work done by the time my colleagues come in the door. There's nothing like a head start on the day. The mornings are my most productive and mentally sharp times, I make a point of dealing with the tricky stuff first thing.

Torture would be being made to wait until 11 to start work, what a waste of a morning!

Do you finish early?

8am start would be perfect for me, don't think I could handle any earlier.

Advertisement