Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono giving loads of cash to charity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Think he gets alot of undeserved criticism out of jealousy/begrudgery tbh. There is far worse than him about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Does a lot of work for charity (doesn't like to talk about it).
    jealousy/begrudgery

One post in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

God bless you Bono. I pray to the beautiful little garden angels in heaven to watch over your soul. We love you dearly you sweet man. Loving and giving are thee Bono. Everyone in the blessed emarld Isle adores you and cherishes everything you do for us and mankind. Thank you dear sacred heart Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Does a lot of work for charity (doesn't like to talk about it).

One post in.

It's coming m8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Hes a good lad, that bonio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

2m from a bunch of Billionaires wow. Would be like me giving up a tenner from my wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

down to his last billion then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

€180 a ticket. The fans are giving the 2mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

And he's peeling off those dollar bills. Slapping them down. 100! 200!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Charidee? Begins at home.

Pay your taxes Ballymun boy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

2m from a bunch of Billionaires wow. Would be like me giving up a tenner from my wages.

Do it so??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Nobody likes a boaster.

€180 a ticket. The fans are giving the 2mil.

From 30e mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Exactly

vicwatson wrote: »

It's an Irish charity that the money is going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

In fairness the government would just waste the money....

You don't see him crowing about people not paying taxes though

*this deos not escape from the fact he comes across as a tosser

(As do many U2 fans IME)....just don't get why there so popular....if they realeased half their songs under anonymous/fake name...they'd never be heard on radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

It's an Irish charity that the money is going to.
    With a CEO thats probably on a quarter of a million

lighters in the air m8s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Why doesn't he just shut up and pay his taxes in eire instead of redomiciling his short ass hole to Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He's not from ballymun and he did f**k all for ballymun except use it for handy PR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

And yet I've no doubt in my mind that you wouldn't be willing to give €10 from your wages to charity :P

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Why doesn't he just shut up and pay his taxes in eire instead of redomiciling his short ass hole to Holland.

How much do you pay in taxes mate?
    the_syco wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

That makes no sense. The gigs are in the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Tompatrick wrote: »

Why would he willingly pay more tax here when it's perfectly legal for him to pay less in another country :confused:

Can someone please explain why a lot of AH users get so wound up about Bono's tax affairs? If you could take advantage of a lower tax rate and keep more of your earnings would you not? I can't get my head around how stupid some people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That makes no sense. The gigs are in the O2.
    It was a light hearted dig towards U2, as as the money will be coming from ticket sales, it means that should the show not go ahead, the donation also doesn't go ahead, as opposed to charity donation right now.

The Point capacity is only 14,500, compared to over 80,000 in Croke Park. Heck, the RDS can cram in 18,500 people. So I'm skeptical in having U2 in the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    And yet I've no doubt in my mind that you wouldn't be willing to give €10 from your wages to charity :P

Ordinary people give money to charity all the time. :confused: You make it sound like an outlandish thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why would he willingly pay more tax here when it's perfectly legal for him to pay less in another country :confused:

Can someone please explain why a lot of AH users get so wound up about Bono's tax affairs? If you could take advantage of a lower tax rate and keep more of your earnings would you not? I can't get my head around how stupid some people are.

Because he bangs on about everyone else paying tax or 3rd world debt and does not practice what one preaches. Swooped into that economic meeting in Dublin and banged on about we all banded together to dig Ireland out of debt. Snake oil salesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It's extremely aggressive use of tax avoidance. Personally I would love to live in isle of man or Malta and pay **** all taxes. But I have to work in Ireland and pay taxes like a normal person.

If I wanted to pay the same level of taxes as bono and wanted to live in Ireland. I would be revenues defaulters list of tax evasion. People dislike bono not paying taxes, as they can't use the same reasons as him to minise them

Because he bangs on about everyone else paying tax or 3rd world debt and does not practice what one preaches.

He responded to that suggestion at the end of this clip:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

From an indifferent listener:

Four local lads set out with the aim of being the best at what they do. Achieve it? Fair play. Maintain it for decades? Fairer play. Reap the rewards? Proper order. Share a bit around? Many don't. Fair play. Here's to their continued success. If you don't like the 'preaching'? Don't listen.

If I achieved a fraction of their success in my field, well, I suppose ye'd all hate me too.

Advertisement