Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono giving loads of cash to charity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Bono's tax dealings but just had to comment on this. There have been a number of cases of celebrities involved in tax avoidance schemes in the last few years that are technically legal but really only because they are difficult to legislate against whilst being of questionable morality. Again, not saying anything about Bono in relation to this, just that something being just about legal doesn't make it right. Not going to get into it here, but read up tax avoidance schemes, it's interesting stuff. Again, not saying Bono is doing anything like this.

When I was at school a long time ago, we were told the difference between avoiding and evading tax. Avoidance was said to be OK.
    Bono gave a talk to us about the same time but I dont recall him mentioning his view on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The UK based footballers / comedians / TV celebs caught in offshore shenanigans. Yes, Jimmy Carr, I'm looking at you. They were of lower celeb wattage and cash value than our four. The U2 tax thing is just the same as Google and Facebook having European HQs down the docklands here. With questions being asked in Congress and Ireland being called a tax haven. As individuals, at least three U2 members reside here (not sure about Adam and the word "reside" is important for tax purposes) and pay tax accordingly as company directors, property owners etc.
    As a global corporation called U2 they shop around for the best deal, just like any other multinational. End of.

Aye. Those corporations should rightfully be paying more tax than they are though. I hope one day they do. They aren't doing a thing wrong, I know, but what they pay in taxes is shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The UK based footballers / comedians / TV celebs caught in offshore shenanigans. Yes, Jimmy Carr, I'm looking at you. They were of lower celeb wattage and cash value than our four. The U2 tax thing is just the same as Google and Facebook having European HQs down the docklands here. With questions being asked in Congress and Ireland being called a tax haven. As individuals, at least three U2 members reside here (not sure about Adam and the word "reside" is important for tax purposes) and pay tax accordingly as company directors, property owners etc.
    As a global corporation called U2 they shop around for the best deal, just like any other multinational. End of.

They stayed in Ireland in the bad times. Paying some tax rather than none. In terms of personal taxation there are places to live with much lower rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

They stayed in Ireland in the bad times. Paying some tax rather than none. In terms of personal taxation there are places to live with much lower rates.

Monaco and Jersey would both spring to mind immediately. And that's just Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I'd say that 2 million hes "donating" will be a tax right off.

But even if he does pay the money out of his own pocket that would be like small change to bono. It would be the equivalent of you or me giving 2euro to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

This is gas. He says to the RDS crowd: "This is a song about 'pride'. DON'T let them take it away!."

Then he turns, attempts a cool jump, loses his footing, takes a tumble! Dope :P

Self Aid - please don't let the younger readers know it happened. Some sort of Stalinist history erasure is needed for that ****ing joke. An entire nation falling on its arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What kind of moron holds up a sign that displays the initials of the city he is in, deserves a talking to regardless.

Bono for president.

What kind of moron holds up a sign that displays the initials of the city he is in, deserves a talking to regardless.

Bono for president.

He's not interested in moving into a smaller house. I think it was Ali who said that about her lesser half.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This is gas. He says to the RDS crowd: "This is a song about 'pride'. DON'T let them take it away!."

Some serious moves.

• Advertisement

^ Larry said "get off me drum riser, ****"....it is Larry's band after all. And there is a definite kick in the bollocks going on in that shot.

That's true. U2 are perfectly entitled to shop around and get the best tax rate.

It's legal.

Whether it's moral is another issue. I couldn't care less generally, but Bono does like to lecture on morality a lot, what we should do rather than what we are legally obliged to do, and thus opens up his own to scrutiny. And many will react to that. Jimmy Carr for example apologised for doing what was legal and changed his tax affairs, because he appreciated that it wasn't simply about not breaking the law.

As for the begrudgery line, the problem with that defence is that no one really attacks the other 3 members of U2, possibly because they are a lot quieter with the lecturing. So I don't think the accusation that it's all about jealousy really stands up, or presumably the 4 of them would get the same ire. That suggests that a lot of the reaction is down to what he says and does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

How much do you pay in taxes mate?

That makes no sense. The gigs are in the O2.

I pay 51% between PRSI, PAYE and USC on any earnings over approx 40k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Who does bono think he is. Coming in here and taking all our money. I'm surprised certain residents hasn't slept for 44 hours and aren't out protesting outside the 3arena. They loved that protest in 2009. It was all about the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Why would he willingly pay more tax here when it's perfectly legal for him to pay less in another country :confused:

Can someone please explain why a lot of AH users get so wound up about Bono's tax affairs? If you could take advantage of a lower tax rate and keep more of your earnings would you not? I can't get my head around how stupid some people are.

Well why doesn't he F off and pontificte to the Dutch about how tospend their tax euros on overseas aid rather than whinge about what ireland does when he doesn't contribute any income taxes here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Another tax write off. Sure they have plenty of excess out of their offshore accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I think they mean you don't know that Streetwalker wouldn't donate that €10 a month, but fully agreed otherwise.

I'd say judging from his other posts, it's a pretty safe bet that the Streetwalker guy has never contributed a thing in his life.

Seems to get very exercised when asked to pay for something like water though.

IMO Bono strikes me as a pompous knob and watching him pontificate makes my toes curl and arse clench.
    However I'd say his heart's in the right place and the Music Generation scheme they set up does fantastic work in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Deub

To sum up the thread: if you are rich don't give money to charities unless you give half your fortune otherwise people will think you are giving small change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Deub wrote: »
    To sum up the thread: if you are rich don't give money to charities unless you give half your fortune otherwise people will think you are giving small change.

No it's all the posturing he does that annoys people. Demands generosity from everyone else while not demonstrating it all that much himself - unless you interpret his activism as selfless and not an expression of self-aggrandisement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

€180 a ticket. The fans are giving the 2mil.

Starting price is €30.. Same as their Croke Park 360 tour back in 2009, and tbh the best money I've ever spent.

U2 donated the entire profits from that Irish tour to charity, every last cent earned went to charities.

But hey, don't let the truth stand in the way eh!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread title say Bono, article says U2.

They are not interchangeable. U2 is more than one guy singing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I am not watching the whole thing just to see Bono fall on his a**e. Tell us the time…. will ya !

I am as good a begrudger as the next good begrudger but even so there is something about bono that rubs me up the wrong way.

Its me not him but thats life folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"because I'm an activist" If he was any further up his hole, he be looking out his own mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

endacl wrote: »
    From an indifferent listener:

Four local lads set out with the aim of being the best at what they do. Achieve it? Fair play. Maintain it for decades? Fairer play. Reap the rewards? Proper order. Share a bit around? Many don't. Fair play. Here's to their continued success. If you don't like the 'preaching'? Don't listen.

If I achieved a fraction of their success in my field, well, I suppose ye'd all hate me too.
    Your post sums up exactly why people are wrong about "begrudgery". It's a complete straw man argument. People don't dislike Bono because he's successful. It's simply because he comes across as a dickhead. Ronan Keating and Brian McFadden are fairly disliked. They haven't been sucessful in years, but that doesn't matter, people dislike them because they're arseholes.
    Do you notice many people saying Adam Clayton is a knobend? He wasn't mentioned once in this thread or any other U2 thread. Same with Larry. Funny how it's all about Bono. What about famous irish actors? Brendan Gleeson, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, Cillian Murphy. All successful, so apparently everyone hates them all. No, because they aren't dickheads. Some might disagree about Colin Farrell, but to say it's because he's sucessful is just wrong, some people just don't like the guy.
    Begrudgery doesn't exist, the last line of your post explains exactly why. According to your post you think if someone becomes successful they have to be liked and respected by the public. Well, guess what, you can become world famous and still come across as a dickhead. As with Bono.
    I'm guessing some people just like Bono and they cannot understand why others don't, so are just lazy and put it down to begrudgery. Gerry Ryan used to do it all the time on his show. Couldn't understand why people didn't like him so just assumed it was begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,996 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

id rather give bono the money than bob geldolf. why cant these guys just be rock stars and not activists. i can see bono retiring from music in about 2/3 years time and going into politics full time. President Bono

going to the u2 3arena shows. looking forward to it. wont tell you how much i paid

You think with all the money Bono has he could house the syrian refugees but no not a word out of him! So much for being a "humanitarian".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

PTH2009 wrote: »
    ...why cant these guys just be rock stars and not activists....
    Rock stars have wealth, public profile, and access to influential people.

If they care about a cause, they are well-placed to do something to advance that concern.

I regard that as a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Simon2015 wrote: »
    You think with all the money Bono has he could house the syrian refugees but no not a word out of him! So much for being a "humanitarian".

He has highlighted it and also note the lyric change at 1m 12s : "One boy washed up on an empty beach".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Simon2015 wrote: »
    And if he did talk about it, he'd be vilified for broadcasting it.

Damned do, damned don't.

Not talking about something does not mean not doing something.

(Although you're possibly not being serious).

• Advertisement

And if he did talk about it, he'd be vilified for broadcasting it.

Damned do, damned don't.

Not talking about something does not mean not doing something.

(Although you're possibly not being serious).

Well Bob Geldof is going to house them so why not Bono ? Bono is far richer than Bob Geldof and could easily house 100s of them if he wanted to.

Advertisement