Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono giving loads of cash to charity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He responded to that suggestion at the end of this clip:

Makes some good points, fingers in a lot of pies - the majority of the money they make/gigs they do etc are outside of Ireland. They probably spend far more time not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

2m from a bunch of Billionaires wow. Would be like me giving up a tenner from my wages.

I fucking hate this type of attitude and logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Knex. wrote: »
    I fucking hate this type of attitude and logic.

Indeed. I've been doing a fair bit of work with the music generation project. I've seen hundreds of kids exposed to music education over the last few years who never otherwise would of had a shot at it. I've had a few pass through my hands who, in the fullness of time, will be better players than I ever could have hoped to be.

Let's see your poxy tenner do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

endacl wrote: »
    From an indifferent listener:

Four local lads set out with the aim of being the best at what they do. Achieve it? Fair play. Maintain it for decades? Fairer play. Reap the rewards? Proper order. Share a bit around? Many don't. Fair play. Here's to their continued success. If you don't like the 'preaching'? Don't listen.

If I achieved a fraction of their success in my field, well, I suppose ye'd all hate me too.

Begrudgery, it's the Irish way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I'm just happy to get to see them indoors as I didn't enjoy the Croker gigs a few years back at all.

Hard to believe it's 26 years since they played the Point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

From an indifferent listener:

Four local lads set out with the aim of being the best at what they do. Achieve it? Fair play. Maintain it for decades? Fairer play. Reap the rewards? Proper order. Share a bit around? Many don't. Fair play. Here's to their continued success. If you don't like the 'preaching'? Don't listen.

If I achieved a fraction of their success in my field, well, I suppose ye'd all hate me too.

Agreed,this is a nasty thread.
    Indeed. I've been doing a fair bit of work with the music generation project. I've seen hundreds of kids exposed to music education over the last few years who never otherwise would of had a shot at it. I've had a few pass through my hands who, in the fullness of time, will be better players than I ever could have hoped to be.

Let's see your poxy tenner do that.

That's fantastic, as a kid who grew up in a large family with not a lot of money my parents sacrificed a lot to get us music lessons and support us in our hobbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I don't think the criticism of Bono is necessarily always due to begrudgery - the rest of the band don't get that kind of criticism, nor do other successful Irish people.
    Bono rubs people up the wrong way by being arguably quite pompous.

But I agree people go overboard with the criticism of him at times - for doing things they can't be sure they wouldn't do themselves.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't think the criticism of Bono is necessarily always due to begrudgery - the rest of the band don't get that kind of criticism, nor do other successful Irish people.

But I agree people go overboard with the criticism of him at times - for doing things they can't be sure they wouldn't do themselves.

I don't get the point of the thread, the title and premise is misleading as it's the entire band who will donate the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

JK Rowling went from a billionaire to a millionaire from donating to charities. Beat that Bono and get a hair cut!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I have zero respect for him, Due to banging on about stuff all the time whiles streamlining his own tax. I would respect him if he did that and did not bang on all the time about others or 3rd world debt. If he did what he did and did not preach holier than though about others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Hardly - my post was directed solely at Street Walker's idiotic comment which stated that U2 are billionaires (which they are not) and yet they're only donating €2M to charity. His attitude is pathetic and I was merely pointing out that if someone suggested that he donate €10 of his monthly wages to charity there's not a hope in hell that he would agree to it.
    I think they mean you don't know that Streetwalker wouldn't donate that €10 a month, but fully agreed otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

2m from a bunch of Billionaires wow. Would be like me giving up a tenner from my wages.

Oh for fÜcks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Still so much petty begrudgery. Sickening.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Still so much petty begrudgery. Sickening.

They should be donating ten times that and build houses for refugees that arrive in Ireland.

I have zero respect for him, Due to banging on about stuff all the time whiles streamlining his own tax. I would respect him if he did that and did not bang on all the time about others or 3rd world debt. If he did what he did and did not preach holier than though about others.

In my private work, I streamline my own tax affairs as much as I legally can. I donate to charities in which I have an interest. I talk to people about this, and encourage them to do likewise. I'd imagine you don't have an issue with my doing as Bono does. I'd further imagine, though, that if I was as financially equipped as he is to do it on the scale that he does, you might develop an issue.

booooring! wrote: »
    They should be donating ten times that and build houses for refugees that arrive in Ireland.

Aptly chosen username.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Think he gets alot of undeserved criticism out of jealousy/begrudgery tbh. There is far worse than him about.

He gets criticized because people think he's a cunt... not because they're jealous of him

He once went on a rant and attacked an audience member for holding up a sign with 'SF' written on it... at a concert, in San Francisco

A prick with lots of money is still an prick.

People go on about begrudgery in Ireland, but they're just as bad. Apparently, to them; as soon as an Irish person becomes successful in one area, they cannot possibly be open to criticism in any other aspect of life.

It's that exact mentality that insures Michael Lowry gets reelected every time.

https://youtu.be/4p8AiRUhpdI?t=517

"Fuck Freedom"

What a great man he is :rolleyes:

Aptly chosen username.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

booooring! wrote: »

Half the band already are - Larry and Edge are always dressing for work on the sites. Adam is on disability due to a "bad back" and Bono actually has a bad back. The music thing is just a nixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

He gets criticized because people think he's a cunt... not because they're jealous of him

He once went on a rant and attacked an audience member for holding up a sign with 'SF' written on it... at a concert, in San Francisco

A prick with lots of money is still an prick.

People go on about begrudgery in Ireland, but they're just as bad. Apparently, to them; as soon as an Irish person becomes successful in one area, they cannot possibly be open to criticism in any other aspect of life.

It's that exact mentality that insures Michael Lowry gets reelected every time.

https://youtu.be/4p8AiRUhpdI?t=517

"Fuck Freedom"

What a great man he is :rolleyes:

You were doing well until you compared a(n alleged) crook like Lowery to Bono!

He once went on a rant and attacked an audience member for holding up a sign with 'SF' written on it... at a concert, in San Francisco.

If the SF stood for San Francisco, then he undoubtedly made a mistake, but just three days before that concert, this had happened:

I wonder does Bono sit at home bored writing tirades against himself online. Marlon Brando used to do that to amuse himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I couldn't give a sh*t about bono or U2 or Tina Turner or Eric Clapton or Ian Brown or Kylie Minogue or Niall Horan or whoever wants or doesn't want attention.

But please stop calling it "begrudgery" if somebody doesn't like them/seems jealous of them/thinks they're profiting/thinks they're marketing.. etc..

I get that the 2nd one applies, but it has been applied so often for so many other reasons in the past 2 decades especially, that they're owed one back at least.

b

grud

jry

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    and I was merely pointing out that if someone suggested that he donate €10 of his monthly wages to charity there's not a hope in hell that he would agree to it.

How can you possibly know that? :confused: Lots of people quietly regularly donate to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If the SF stood for San Francisco, then he undoubtedly made a mistake

If :rolleyes:

"Fuck Freedom" - Man of the People

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Can't see an issue with the taxes thing at all - it's fully legit, and are you sure you wouldn't do the same?

I don't know anything about Bono's tax dealings but just had to comment on this. There have been a number of cases of celebrities involved in tax avoidance schemes in the last few years that are technically legal but really only because they are difficult to legislate against whilst being of questionable morality. Again, not saying anything about Bono in relation to this, just that something being just about legal doesn't make it right. Not going to get into it here, but read up tax avoidance schemes, it's interesting stuff. Again, not saying Bono is doing anything like this.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Bono's tax dealings but just had to comment on this. There have been a number of cases of celebrities involved in tax avoidance schemes in the last few years that are technically legal but really only because they are difficult to legislate against whilst being of questionable morality. Again, not saying anything about Bono in relation to this, just that something being just about legal doesn't make it right. Not going to get into it here, but read up tax avoidance schemes, it'd interesting stuff. Again, not saying Bono is doing anything like this.

The UK based footballers / comedians / TV celebs caught in offshore shenanigans. Yes, Jimmy Carr, I'm looking at you. They were of lower celeb wattage and cash value than our four. The U2 tax thing is just the same as Google and Facebook having European HQs down the docklands here. With questions being asked in Congress and Ireland being called a tax haven. As individuals, at least three U2 members reside here (not sure about Adam and the word "reside" is important for tax purposes) and pay tax accordingly as company directors, property owners etc.
    As a global corporation called U2 they shop around for the best deal, just like any other multinational. End of.

• Advertisement

"Fuck Freedom" - Man of the People

I'm no major fan of the guy but in fairness you're taking what he said completely out of context. He didn't just randomly say "fuck freedom". He was referring to the notion that the murders of those killed in bombing was done in the name of freedom (IRA being self declared 'Freedom' Fighters and all that) and in that respect he said well then 'Fuck Freedom'. Obviously he meant if that's the price that has to be paid for freedom, fuck it.

It's no different than Paul Brady's ironic repeating of the word freedom over and over at the end of The Island.

Now I know us plain folks don't see all the story,
    And I know this 'peace and love' is just copping out,
    And I guess these young boys dying in the ditches,
    Is just what being 'free' is all about,
    And how this twisted wreckage down on main street,
    Will bring us all together in the end,
    And we'll go marching down the road to freedom....freedom.

Advertisement