Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I don't agree with it being for "that position".
    If it had his name then it's for him.

Tayto, I can't agree. In the job he had an official role. Any documents then were part of that official role. The fact that they were destroyed suggests that they were more than personal. If they were the latter, he would just have taken them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Tayto, I can't agree. In the job he had an official role. Any documents then were part of that official role. The fact that they were destroyed suggests that they were more than personal. If they were the latter, he would just have taken them home.

I have left loads of jobs and shredded loads of stuff with my name on it before leaving.
    It's all deflecting from the main thing i.e. the sacking by Enda.
    More heads should roll but it's unlikely they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I have left loads of jobs and shredded loads of stuff with my name on it before leaving.

Callinan was in charge for too many years, IMO. Under his watch, some the things that were allowed , secret recordings, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_phone_recordings_controversy?
    The penalty points fiasco, just to mention two. He had to go, and pushed I guess, by Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You weren't the Garda Commissioner. Think of it this way, you're anti-Irish Water - wouldn't you be the first person up in arms of the CEO resigned and shredded all documents he considered to be "personal" received in his capacity as CEO of Irish Water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

The way i would see it (and that doesnt mean much until we're all privy to the truth), any documents that were related to policing work would be property of the state and fall under the data protection act.

Surely destroying them is illegal? If there is a chance (and there most likely is) that any of the destroyed paper work was related to state business (especially cases involving members of the public), then it definitely needs to be investigated.

I also agree with tayto in that while it is important, whether Callinan was pushed (or not) is a much bigger issue right now.

• Advertisement

You weren't the Garda Commissioner. Think of it this way, you're anti-Irish Water - wouldn't you be the first person up in arms of the CEO resigned and shredded all documents he considered to be "personal" received in his capacity as CEO of Irish Water?

No I wouldn't. His property is his property.
    IW should never have been set-up in the first place.

The way i would see it (and that doesnt mean much until we're all privy to the truth), any documents that were related to policing work would be property of the state and fall under the data protection act.

Surely destroying them is illegal? If there is a chance (and there most likely is) that any of the destroyed paper work was related to state business (especially cases involving members of the public), then it definitely needs to be investigated.

I also agree with tayto in that while it is important, whether Callinan was pushed (or not) is a much bigger issue right now.

That is the big issue and they are happy not to discuss it.

It's not his property though. It's property of the State.

Shouldn't have been doesn't mean it wasn't - but you've evaded the question.

It's not his property though. It's property of the State.

Shouldn't have been doesn't mean it wasn't - but you've evaded the question.

If correspondence arrives to him at his place of work with his name on it then it's his property.
    What question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If correspondence arrives to him at his place of work with his name on it then it's his property.
    What question?

Not if it relates to work in the Gardaí. A detective doesn't shred his cases before he goes. It's a ridiclous idea.

• Advertisement

Not personal stuff apparently.

10 bags of "personal stuff"? Was he running his own business from the office?

Nodin wrote: »
    Not if it relates to work in the Gardaí. A detective doesn't shred his cases before he goes. It's a ridiclous idea.

Shure nobody knows what was in the bags, even you.
    Everyone is just guessing. I can't see him having anything incriminating in his office. That would be stupid.
    What do you think was in them?

Everyone is just guessing. I can't see him having anything incriminating in his office. That would be stupid.

I can't possibly imagine what would constitute 10 bin bags worth of "personal" stuff in the workplace or how it would be there.

I can't possibly imagine what would constitute 10 bin bags worth of "personal" stuff in the workplace or how it would be there.

So what do you think it was then? Third Secret of Fatima? Plans for the Invasion of England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

So what do you think it was then? Third Secret of Fatima? Plans for the Invasion of England?

or given the amount of time callinan was there, various incriminating documents alluding to garda/state collusion in all sorts of messing.

I reckon he was saving his own skin from the vultures, which probably inadvertently saved a few other notable hides.

I have no idea.

(The third secret has already been revealed, btw).

I have no idea.

(The third secret has already been revealed, btw).

Maybe his law books which he now has no use for.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Isn't that the whole point?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Isn't that the whole point?

Exactly.

Exactly.

So its a circular argument then. We'll never know what was in the documents because well, er, they were destroyed and we've really only one persons word that they were personal, and not incriminating personally or otherwise.

The only way around that is by, er, not destroying them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

So its a circular argument then. We'll never know what was in the documents because well, er, they were destroyed and we've really only one persons word that they were personal, and not incriminating personally or otherwise.

The only way around that is by, er, not destroying them.

No. Not really. What if they were harmless and just destroyed because he was clearing out and leaving the place in order for the next commissioner?

No. Not really. What if they were harmless and just destroyed because he was clearing out and leaving the place in order for the next commissioner?

We still wouldn't know they were actually harmless, that's the point.

AND we don't know if they were otherwise either. We might have to wait for his book now. Would have ruined his sales if we knew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Who would have determined whether they were harmless or not, his ex work mates?

And if they had and they'd been shredded we'd be none the wiser.

Would it have been normal practice to remove 8 bags of "personal" papers on retirement, to one's home either?

Did the commissioner envisage an enquiry?

No because he wouldn't have shredded innocent paperwork which now looks bad, yes because he shredded paperwork which now looks bad.

AND we don't know if they were otherwise either. We might have to wait for his book now. Would have ruined his sales if we knew.

So we need a system to address it.

Blind faith in a Commissioner with suspect attitudes to whistle blowers doesn't really cut it for most people I'd say.

So we need a system to address it.

Blind faith in a Commissioner with suspect attitudes to whistle blowers doesn't really cut it for most people I'd say.

Hold on.
    I had no love for Callinan at all. I wanted rid of all of the people involved.
    My point in this shredding lark should be moved to the CT forum as nobody can say what he shredded.
    Now if there had to have been a little hole in one of the bags and a few penalty points fell out it would be different.
    But there wasn't.

No.
    What question?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96877314#post96877314

I answered above.
    His property is his property.

Do you think Enda shafted him?

I answered above.
    His property is his property.

Do you think Enda shafted him?
    Obfuscation at its finest in ignoring the real question there.

With regard to the "his property is his property" mistake; I presume you're under the impression that work he did of a personal nature at his job is also his property?

• Advertisement

Obfuscation at its finest in ignoring the real question there.

With regard to the "his property is his property" mistake; I presume you're under the impression that work he did of a personal nature at his job is also his property?

Advertisement