Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

was thinking on only trying it on the WDR3600 as the MR3420 is what i use at the moment as it supports my 4g usb modem with the stock firmware. So wouldnt go messing with that.
    Using a Huawei e3272 4g modem but dont see it on the supported list...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

yuloni wrote: »
    Both the WDR3600 and the MR3420 have support with the OpenWRT Rooter firmware. The 3600 supports more features of the Rooter firmware as it has more on-board memory than the 3420 but the newest release of Rooter (Ext-Rooter) allows you to use a USB memory stick to expand the storage to allow additional features on smaller routers

If you're familiar with OpenWRT or DD-WRT flashing, work away but if not, do read the instructions and compatibility notes on the site thoroughly. It can take time to initially get it all up and running but you can have good fun tweaking and adding services to an OpenWRT router

What dongle are you using?

I have a WDR-3600 currently using it with my eircom connection . I can put DD-WRT on it no problem just wondering though is 3G modem supported in DD-WRT on the router ? It doesn't seem to be on the stock firmware .

jay93 wrote: »
    I have a WDR-3600 currently using it with my eircom connection . I can put DD-WRT on it no problem just wondering though is 3G modem supported in DD-WRT on the router ? It doesn't seem to be on the stock firmware .

from my reading of it you need you need to put on this variant of OpenWRT
    http://ofmodemsandmen.com/supported.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

From Muckalee Lower, 3 sim. 4g. B593s with external antenna outdoor. 12/12mb

theluke79 wrote: »
    From Muckalee Lower, 3 sim. 4g. B593s with external antenna outdoor. 12/12mb

what kind of external aerial antenna are ye using?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

Scruff wrote: »
    what kind of external aerial antenna are ye using?

Ebay ponyting 4g 2mimo omni antenna

In the states til September did a test on 3G as my phone doesn't have the supported LTE/4G band . It displays as 4G beside the signal bars they call HSPA 4G here .

Test screenshot attatched to post I'm on T-Mobile .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Vodafone finally seems to be improving here! Still on 3g

4501285197.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Vodafone finally seems to be improving here! Still on 3g

4501285197.png

Try it this evening when more folk would be using it and see what you are getting

hallo dare wrote: »
    Try it this evening when more folk would be using it and see what you are getting

As most people following this thread would know, I've had pretty poor speeds for the last few years which I've posted here. I do tests at various times of the day and night. Its only in the last few weeks that there has been a huge improvement. Here's a result from a few minutes ago, at a time that I would call peak from my experience at my location. These are still 3G. I will do another around 6/7 this eve.

4509659332.png

Done again a few minutes ago. Bit slower alright

4510185777.png

But it sure as hell beats this from a month or 2 ago!! Would have taken over 9 years to upload :eek:

[IMG][/img]upload%20time-2_zpseoq3gyz3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It has been a while!

Still getting the same old connection I've been getting for a few months now.

3 bars of meteor 4g signal on a b593 with an external antenna in West Dublin gets me this

7VoIQtW.png

And according to Eircom's phone line test on their site, I'm eligible for fibre bb now, appparently... Not sure how legit those tests are I didn't see any work on the line or anything else whatsoever to indicate it's available. Interesting though!

-=al=- wrote: »
    It has been a while!

Still getting the same old connection I've been getting for a few months now.

3 bars of meteor 4g signal on a b593 with an external antenna in West Dublin gets me this

7VoIQtW.png

And according to Eircom's phone line test on their site, I'm eligible for fibre bb now, appparently... Not sure how legit those tests are I didn't see any work on the line or anything else whatsoever to indicate it's available. Interesting though!

I'd say it's the exchange or local cabinets that were upgraded the line checker is usually 100% accurate as far as fiber broadband availability goes , speeds don't seem too bad on Meteor 4G considering the low signal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yea the current speeds are not too bad at all and I only pay 19.99 a month for 50gb which is pretty good

I wonder is it worth 3 times the cost for faster speeds and data when I rarely use the 50gb as it is! Although, I probably would use more knowing it was unlimited but the speeds are quite reasonable on 4g as is.

So, if the line is fibre enabled, does that mean it would work for other services such as UPC and Sky?

I'm suddenly catapulted into modern times with this... it's like it's 2015 or something :pac:

-=al=- wrote: »
    Yea the current speeds are not too bad at all and I only pay 19.99 a month for 50gb which is pretty good

I wonder is it worth 3 times the cost for faster speeds and data when I rarely use the 50gb as it is! Although, I probably would use more knowing it was unlimited but the speeds are quite reasonable on 4g as is.

So, if the line is fibre enabled, does that mean it would work for other services such as UPC and Sky?

I'm suddenly catapulted into modern times with this... it's like it's 2015 or something :pac:

You should be able to get Vodafone or sky fibre either UPC uses different cables than the Eircom /DSL network uses so they would have to have their cables in your house and area for that to work, having unlimited is great but If you don't use much it's probably not worth the extra cost it also would depend on the speeds I know the max at my house for fibre is 25Mb/s which vodafones 4G network will outdo that by double the speed at 50Mb/s sadly Vodafone are the only ones with 4G where I live im not with them for my phone anymore as I use a lot of data and I always went over the limit I'm on 3 and the 3G is ok not great though hoping they upgrade to 4G soon.

As most people following this thread would know, I've had pretty poor speeds for the last few years which I've posted here. I do tests at various times of the day and night. Its only in the last few weeks that there has been a huge improvement. Here's a result from a few minutes ago, at a time that I would call peak from my experience at my location. These are still 3G. I will do another around 6/7 this eve.

4509659332.png

Back to the good old days.....

4582594059.png

Back to the good old days.....

4582594059.png

That's terrible they are still the only network with 3G where you live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Tesco Mobile 3g

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1412034131

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    That's terrible they are still the only network with 3G where you live ?

They have 4G here, sometimes. I get it on my phone, which they upgraded to 4G for free. 4G dongle will cost me €45 a month. Got an upgrade a few months ago from 10gig for €15 to 20gig for €14.99. I'll suffer on for a while longer.

I was uploading a match the other night, 1.7 gig file. It was uploading away at over 9mbs, fastest I've ever seen. To be fair, the speeds really have improved. Its just the last 2 weeks or so they are up and down either brilliant or ****e '70's speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I finally got fed up with EDGE and signal blackspots in my house with O2/Three so swapped today and went from:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1146462476
    to Vodafone:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1428748382
    :D
    At least I now have something that I can fallback to, should my WISP ever fail.

They have 4G here, sometimes. I get it on my phone, which they upgraded to 4G for free. 4G dongle will cost me €45 a month. Got an upgrade a few months ago from 10gig for €15 to 20gig for €14.99. I'll suffer on for a while longer.

I was uploading a match the other night, 1.7 gig file. It was uploading away at over 9mbs, fastest I've ever seen. To be fair, the speeds really have improved. Its just the last 2 weeks or so they are up and down either brilliant or ****e '70's speeds!

Would you be able to get 4G on a dongle if you got one and if you got a 4G plan it can be worth it especially with uploads . :)

1356466541.png

4G/LTE speed test on AT&T in the states used my girlfriends phone to test it nothing amazing really seen some faster results in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1434472219
    I've had worse.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1436053220

4g on Three, Ballina, Co.Mayo

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1436053220

4g on Three, Ballina, Co.Mayo

Nice Three is good when you can get 4G signal sadly their 4G is scarce across the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FkDh9JU.png

Move to northern europe lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ED E wrote: »
    FkDh9JU.png

Move to northern europe lads.

Who's that with and where?

Very impressive.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »