Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

bugfreebob wrote: »
    If your location is where I think it is, I was visiting that area last Summer and had excellent 4G coverage from Meteor....might be worth a try?

Been with vodafone for the last 7 years (mobile dongle) Got a great deal at time, added it to my mobile acc, 10G for 14.99. There're onto me every so often to change "for my benefit" Don't think so. Its usually pretty decent, for my needs anyway. 2MB down and about 1MB up. Don't do much streaming, very little, no gaming. Photo uploads and some pdf files to websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Been with vodafone for the last 7 years (mobile dongle) Got a great deal at time, added it to my mobile acc, 10G for 14.99. There're onto me every so often to change "for my benefit" Don't think so. Its usually pretty decent, for my needs anyway. 2MB down and about 1MB up. Don't do much streaming, very little, no gaming. Photo uploads and some pdf files to websites.

That was certainly a good deal at the time. You were probably right to stick with it until now, although they likely got it back from you on their mobile charges. However, if they want you off that tariff plan, they are unlikely to add 4G to it. A lot of their legacy plans are 3G only. That may explain why you are not seeing the higher speeds even if they have upgraded the network?

Maybe this isn't an issue if you only want 2MB/1MB? €14.99 isn't such a good deal for 3G only these days. Meteor do 20G(3G only) for €10.17 per month, or 15G(4G/3G) for €14.99.

bugfreebob wrote: »
    That was certainly a good deal at the time. You were probably right to stick with it until now, although they likely got it back from you on their mobile charges. However, if they want you off that tariff plan, they are unlikely to add 4G to it. A lot of their legacy plans are 3G only. That may explain why you are not seeing the higher speeds even if they have upgraded the network?

Maybe this isn't an issue if you only want 2MB/1MB? €14.99 isn't such a good deal for 3G only these days. Meteor do 20G(3G only) for €10.17 per month, or 15G(4G/3G) for €14.99.

Yeah, it is/was a good deal which is why I never bothered changing. Vodafone is the only "decent" reception where I am. But I'll have to look into changing maybe now sometime. On the other hand, the more people that leave 3G for 4G will decrease contention on the 3G network too. I dunno :confused: Speeds seem to be back to normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Which dongle do you use on Vodafone?

Are you in a dual carrier area? You can check on vodafones coverage map to see if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Never ever saw any good deals from Vodafone and they usually offered the worst data packages.. same with their phone.. non bill pay at least.

Still getting a consistent 12Mb down and 8Mb up since I'm with meteor for their 4g interwebs with the ping in the 30s

0jUx6oQ.png

20 quid a month for 50Gb of data with these solid speeds should do me grand for a while

I'm glad I invested in a decent antenna and router... It's almost (bar the pings) as good as a fixed broadband service... I slightly expect a little bit of a downturn since Meteor has unleashed it's 4g to the masses but so far so good, fingers crossed it stays the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Maybe it's the weather maybe it's the wind but I've been getting a consistent 3 bars of signal now and it's a slight improvement...

2q2LI8l.png

Got 30gb of data to use before the 4th... DOWNLOAD ALL THE THINGS!

Also, The FCC has changed the definition of broadband...

The minimum broadband download speeds now begin at 25Mbps, up from 4Mbps

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps

We're getting demoted chaps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Mine just went turbo for some reason in the last day or so:

4106817955.png

Thats my three sim - 3 bars of signal (phone sim with unlimited data). My meteor sim is still clocking 16mb. Id keep an eye out folks - we could see some greater speeds soon with the same signal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »

LOL bring back nightmares of 14.4kbps eircom dialup (which is still the case for the line and the area - thank god we ditched them last year for phone services) - well as for three: they are the worst for service and support so :(

You on 4g yourself and using a router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Mine just went turbo for some reason in the last day or so:

4106817955.png

Thats my three sim - 3 bars of signal (phone sim with unlimited data). My meteor sim is still clocking 16mb. Id keep an eye out folks - we could see some greater speeds soon with the same signal :D

Wonder has that anything to do with O2?

• Advertisement

hallo dare wrote: »
    Wonder has that anything to do with O2?

Doubtful but possible - o2 have only ever had 2g out here and no 3g. The site in question is a shared site that three has used in the past. Id say three and o2 will cut the total amount of towers they have combined. Hope they dont cut too much out of it

You using wifi for the tests? or just for the laptop? WiFi can throttle speeds if there is any interference or at a certain range. As for the booster - I am not sure about whether 3g boosters pick up or amplify noise as well as the relevant spectrum so that could be an issue?

4108962644.png

Very detailed response :D . You have tested every aspect....is the configuration of the modem with the router automatic or? Sounds like the booster is not doing much for you - maybe ye should just leave the booter out of the equation for a while and focus on the router and modem?

hmm....sounds like you have all angles covered even if you are not finished your testing and your router is configured correctly. What was three's response to your query as a matter of interest?

I hope that they help with that. They are a pain to get any sort of technical data off of.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

1155602435.png

Very impressed with Vodafone 4G this in indoors

• Advertisement

Cork981 wrote: »
    1155602435.png

Very impressed with Vodafone 4G this in indoors

That is the highest ive seen yet - very nice mate. Whats your setup?

4174458580.png

4178496240.png

Today's speeds. Half hour to upload a 22mb file, not too bad :mad:

4178496240.png

Today's speeds. Half hour to upload a 22mb file, not too bad :mad:

That's really bad for Vodafone I can get 20Mb/s on 3G and close to 40Mb/s on 4G where i live on my iPhone with Vodafone.

What's the signal like on the modem?

jay93 wrote: »
    That's really bad for Vodafone I can get 20Mb/s on 3G and close to 40Mb/s on 4G where i live on my iPhone with Vodafone.

What's the signal like on the modem?

Full signal, I'm only about 100/120 metres from the mast, direct line of sight too (modem in a router). Can't understand it. They did a supposed upgrade on the network recently, no coverage for a day or 2. Seems to be worse now, very inconsistent. One test I did I think it peaked at 15Mb down 7/8Mb up, then back to 1990's speeds :mad: I'm beginning to think its being throttled to get people to change to 4G!

Somethings up today? :eek:

4208210095.png

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Constantly impressed by both Vodafone 4G and 3G data rates
    These tests were performed indoors in Cork City area
    3G
    1173071634.png

4G
    1155602435.png

VS

UPC wifi

1173078977.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Cork981 wrote: »
    Constantly impressed by both Vodafone 4G and 3G data rates
    These tests were performed indoors in Cork City area
    3G
    1173071634.png

4G
    1155602435.png

VS

UPC wifi

1173078977.png

Very impressive vodafone results.

I wouldn't be to hard on upc, that's a wifi limitation rather than bad isp

Somethings up today? :eek:

4208210095.png

Good too see its finally came up a bit, I've never had slow results on vodafone 3G or 4G on my phone but it could be down to the area I live in. Hopefully the fast speeds stick :)

• Advertisement

4246460534.png

4G on Vodafone tonight tested from my iPhone 5s hotspot on 3 bars of 4G signal.

Advertisement