Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Vodafone 4G in Ballybofey, Linear & Multithreaded at about 5pm:

X2kbsqGT0.axneH832g.png zn~TtFmLa.png

HTTPS traffic on their network seems to have higher priority as it consistently gives several Mb higher, whereas Meteor always gave me the same between HTTP and HTTPS based tests. Linear test (TestMy doesn't support multithreaded over HTTPS):

Zn8B45MSX.bJgpKs5oi.png

Three for comparison about the same time, linear & multithreaded:

RKJwoXvkx.VvwqE2Lzj.png mJPnpVyUh.png

I must try a HTTPS test again on Three. Up until a few months ago, HTTPS traffic was about 10x faster than HTTP traffic (like 1Mbps vs 10Mbps) and then whatever they tweaked (around the time the Three forum got flooded with bad speed complaints), their HTTPS throughput fell down to that of HTTP. Before that happened, a simple workaround to get a fast connection was to establish an OpenVPN based VPN connection (e.g. HMA) which pipes everything over HTTPS and web pages loaded up a heck of a lot quicker on the phone. I'm not sure what protocol/port Ookla's speedtest.net uses as its test results were like the HTTPS test results I got on TestMy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Just a quick test on Three 3G from a modem I had I bought €5 credit to get a small Internet bundle to see if they improved and so far it's looking ok :) still wouldn't switch my phone from Vodafone since I get 4G everywhere with them.

1502563747.png

Just done a test on 4G on my phone there I'm inside and have 2 bars of signal at home

1505134133.png

Another one from Three pretty much says it all in the test...

1505355692.png

Now it's fine again.

1505466800.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

On Monday just before I left work at 5pm, I did two speed tests on Three in Ballybofey, one over HTTP and the second over HTTPS:

xlIGZv38A.pngRA2ChDqG3.png

Vodafone seems to also throttle HTTP to some extent. By the time about 10MB is downloaded, the speed drops off to some extent, but still a heck of a lot faster than Three. The following HTTP and HTTPS tests were run about the same time today on Vodafone 4G, but just outside Dunkineely on my way home while travelling with someone.

pU2vMd5Eg.pngeYuPinUtj.png

It's worth noting that Ookla's Speedtest runs all its tests over port 8080 unless the port is blocked by a firewall. For comparison, HTTP and HTTPS traffic are carried over ports 80 and 443, respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »
    FkDh9JU.png

Move to northern europe lads.
    D8j5kuMl.jpg

New record today. I think I'm hitting the limit of the 801, need to nuy an 810 based phone.

D8j5kuMl.jpg

New record today. I think I'm hitting the limit of the 801, need to nuy an 810 based phone.

Nice :) which carrier are you with?

Full bars 4G in my town I'm closer to the mast so it's better than it would be in my house where I only get 2-3 bars.

1543777249.png

Vodafone are operating on band 20 LTE here.

Some band 3 LTE testing in drogheda. My area only has band 20 LTE.

1560441968.png

• Advertisement

1572483227.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

same sh1t happening on my meteor 4g again: Signal quality increases from 1 to 3 bars but speed go down the toilet :mad:
    dl hit the floor, upload increased by x3
    1790226210.png

Had to force usb dongle to go to 3G to get better speeds. ffs!
    1790235654.png

Must get a Vodafone PAYG sim to check 4g in my area. if i can get near Jay93's speeds i might have to swallow the x2.5 price difference to my meteor package..

Currently in the USA for a few months did a speed test yesterday on T-Mobile USA which will be my carrier Til I come back to Ireland. This is the current speeds I get some areas are slower.

1579184919.png

This was taken on full bars of LTE / 4G

Scruff wrote: »
    same sh1t happening on my meteor 4g again: Signal quality increases from 1 to 3 bars but speed go down the toilet :mad:
    dl hit the floor, upload increased by x3
    1790226210.png

Had to force usb dongle to go to 3G to get better speeds. ffs!
    1790235654.png

Must get a Vodafone PAYG sim to check 4g in my area. if i can get near Jay93's speeds i might have to swallow the x2.5 price difference to my meteor package..

You could test out Vodafone to see how their service is. In my experience with them they have the best 4G coverage and speeds around the country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I can get a 4g signal from Vodafone on my phone but only when I'm hanging out the window.

I bought the following to test on a payg data sim I also got from Vodafone.

Huawei Unlocked E3372 LTE/4G 150 Mbps USB Dongle - Black

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BRKPLE?

Nedis Valueline 3m USB 3.0 A Male to USB A Female Flat Extension Cable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DC2MI7G?

The flat usb cable is so that I can hang the dongle outside a velux window and still close it.

However when I ran speedtest I got the following results and when I check the dongle connection, it was only ever saying it was connected to UMTS or HSPA+

5185334460.png

But when I hung out the window with the dongle attached directly to the laptop I got the following speeds

5185558532.png

Is there anything I can do to get these speeds all the time with the dongle outside and connected via a lead?

Regards

FN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

funnyname wrote: »

Is there anything I can do to get these speeds all the time with the dongle outside and connected via a lead?

Regards

FN

Try an active / repeater USB extension cable. Signal over USB depends on length of cable and passive cables max out at 5m. So you're probably losing some speed (signal) at 3m of cable. Active USB cables aren't cheap though and flat ones will cost more, if they're even available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I tried an ordinary USB extension lead and it worked fine, window also closed so it's a bit dumb that I worked out for the flat lead first. All OK in the end tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

100 Mb/sec down on Three's 4G+

1804208502.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

1804208502.png

Hi Pizzahead, where in Dublin is that?

1804208502.png

That's quite impressive for Three :) pitty they don't just make their regular 4G more widespread and keep the speeds up on that first though ;)

• Advertisement

1594228582.png

T-Mobile USA operating on band 4 LTE 20MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

1804208502.png

Very nice - may I ask what you mean by 4g+ rather than 4g may I ask?

Three have started rolling out 4G+ just like Vodafone have a few months before them. It's got a speed of up to 225Mb/s on Three. I'm not sure how they achieve this it's possibly carrier aggregation (combining two or more LTE bands together)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jay93 wrote: »
    Three have started rolling out 4G+ just like Vodafone have a few months before them. It's got a speed of up to 225Mb/s on Three. I'm not sure how they achieve this it's possibly carrier aggregation (combining two or more LTE bands together)

LTE CAT4 gives you 150Mbps, once you bump up to CAT5 then you get a 300Mb cap so if the tower is really quiet hitting 225 isn't impossible.

Rel10UECategories_1.jpg

That is excellent news indeed, didnt realise they have started rolling out cat 4 already. Thought vodafone were the only ones with a cat 4 network in ireland. Am getting 30 to 40 on a b593-s22 at the moment with a three sim - that is a cat 3 router: wonder if getting a cat 4 router will be worth it?

Are three experimenting with cat 5 as well may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Any word with Meteor upgrading their service?

Also, I persume 4G+ doesn't work on the b593-s22, right?

LTE CAT4 gives you 150Mbps, once you bump up to CAT5 then you get a 300Mb cap so if the tower is really quiet hitting 225 isn't impossible.

Rel10UECategories_1.jpg

Thanks yeah I was thinking they would be using CAT5 for their "4G+"

-=al=- wrote: »
    Any word with Meteor upgrading their service?

Also, I persume 4G+ doesn't work on the b593-s22, right?

Haven't heard anything about meteor yet three may be launching faster LTE networks but their LTE footprint is way smaller than Meteors. The b593 is only LTE CAT 4 which is up to 150Mb/s downlink so it wouldn't support CAT 5 "4G+"

jay93 wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything about meteor yet three may be launching faster LTE networks but their LTE footprint is way smaller than Meteors. The b593 is only LTE CAT 4 which is up to 150Mb/s downlink so it wouldn't support CAT 5 "4G+"
    Are three selling a cat 4 or cat 5 router may I ask?

• Advertisement

1597402821.png

T-Mobile USA in Southfield Michigan never got a result as high as this in Ireland on Vodafone but the LTE band used in this area gives higher bandwidth than it would where I live in Ireland.

Advertisement