Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolours at music gigs

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Who the hell are these 'hipsters' everyone keeps saying?

Most people on boards don't seem to know what a hipster is anymore and/or is jealous.

Hipster has become a byword for knob.

Which in fairness, is fairly accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Arent you annoyed about them at ports and outside pubs, restaurants and hotels as well?

I'm not annoyed about anything, and you obviously haven't read the (Welsh ports/flags thread) properly. Either that or you're just trying to stir the doodie . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The cheek of them. I wouldn't be seen dead with them loike. Taking a stroll around a museum in Italy with a glass of the finest red wine that's where it's at man. Fun city here we come.
    I know, roight!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I have heard Irish people talking to Engish people on holiday in English accents, cringy isn't the word.
    Oh sweet Jesus. :o
    I wouldn't be into flag-waving or excessive patriotism myself tbh but the inferiority complex/self loathing you mention does indeed seem to be prevalent in Ireland. Forelock-tugging to their betters and the like. Pitiful.

"Only in Ireland" nearly always refers to stuff that happens absolutely anywhere too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Oh let's hate ourselves once again for a "uniquely Orish" thing also happens in every country in the world. Don the skinny jeans and hair jumpers and cry foul upon these scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Oh let's hate ourselves once again for a "uniquely Orish" thing also happens in every country in the world. Don the skinny jeans and hair jumpers and cry foul upon these scumbags.

How is anyone hating themselves. People are giving their impressions of flag waving types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

How is anyone hating themselves. People are giving their impressions of flag waving types.

The usual Irish mentality that if you're enjoying yourself you're a tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Samaris wrote: »
    I think it's been fairly well concluded that this is not a uniquely Irish thing to do, and we don't really need to add to our national breast-beating and hair-tearing about our awful backward ways over it.
    It's a pastime for many though - stop ruining their fun.

I wouldn't myself in any context, but if it is so stupid and uncouth and backwards to wear national identity as a source of pride, does that include at sporting events? Surely it's ok at e.g. a rugby international?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    There's an elderly man in Tipperary, not far from my home, that raises his county flag & the national flag every morning on his own land & takes it down every night before sunset............

Fair play to him, if you're going to fly the flag do it properly. What annoys me is some business, usually but not always a pub, hoisting a flag first day they open then leaving it there to rot. They flag is an important symbol of our national identity and should be treated with respect, not dragged through the mud whether actual or metaphorical.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate seeing the flag desecrated at the likes of Anfield with stupid sh1t like Irish Scousers On Tour daubed across the middle of it. Repulsive and screams identity crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

The cheek of them. I wouldn't be seen dead with them loike. Taking a stroll around a museum in Italy with a glass of the finest red wine that's where it's at man. Fun city here we come.

listen here Ross, sorry... streetwalker, back to Wanderers pavilion with you for some pints with the first 15 (or is it the 3rds), tis only when the D4 birds are around that you'll guzzle red wine and discuss Italian museums to impress them..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

RomanKnows wrote: »

Never saw such a bunch of mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging Neanderthals gather in one place in all my time. That includes the band. Stupid jingoistic nonsense.

You must not turn the telly on, around the July marching season?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why the shame of anything Irish? Anytime I've been to America, I've noticed most houses would have the Stars and Stripes flying outside the house. Someone did that over here they'd be completely ridiculed.

Or up North

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

For people my age (40's), IRA types took the good out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

For people my age (40's), IRA types took the good out of it.

Course they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Saw some at Electric Picnic earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There's a guy where Im from who always goes to pubs/nite clubs wearing a different flag each time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^

even a union jack ??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

knobs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do not write on the flag, it's very disrespectful and quite frankly low rent behaviour.

Don't be so insecure out there on the continent, you don't have to keep asserting that you're a paddy. Most Europeans are indifferent to us, a few from my own experiences would view us as trash.

It's why I'll never identify with being a European, the Irish and British stick out like a sore thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

you don't have to keep asserting that you're a paddy.

I always wonder why people do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Omackeral wrote: »
    I hate seeing the flag desecrated at the likes of Anfield with stupid sh1t like Irish Scousers On Tour daubed across the middle of it. Repulsive and screams identity crisis.

Does it? Simply screams irish fan who supports Liverpool FC to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cienciano wrote: »
    Does it? Simply screams Irish fan who supports Liverpool FC to me.

Well they're not Scousers are they? This one sums it up really.

http://propaganda.photoshelter.com/image/I0000tZpQDaRbcQA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,948 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KungPao wrote: »

Irish flag wrapped around you at a concert or on holidays...bit weird.

This I'll never get, it's not an item of clothing FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

OP, the Americans, French, Germans, Brits, Russians and every other nationality wear their national flag with pride at any opportunity so why the hell shouldn't Irish people? If you are proud to be Irish and you love your country then fly the flag. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I think the reason some "Irish" people hate everything Irish and being Irish has to be because of two things, 1) they are descendants from the British people who settled here in the last few hundred years, the type that call liverpool fc and man united us, play soccer, ridicule the GAA. prefer watching the English football team over Ireland, use phrases like mate, cheers, go to man united matches and chant in english accents etc.

2) They have become brainwashed by British media and would rather be British now.

I have heard Irish people talking to Engish people on holiday in English accents, cringy isn't the word.

it baffles me why anyone would be ashamed to be Irish, we have a lot to be proud of as a nation, one of the best places to live in the world, great education system, friendly fun loving helpful people. lots of successful sports people, entrepreneur's.

Spot on. A lot of upper class fellows would be of British descent or as a lot of people call them "West Brits".

Many young Irish people are detaching from "Irish culture" as you have it and become more Americanized, this is seen through accents, like the D4 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Those guys probably are scousers. Of Irish descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Those guys probably are scousers. Of Irish descent.

Highly unlikely given the match was in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Do not write on the flag, it's very disrespectful and quite frankly low rent behaviour.

Don't be so insecure out there on the continent, you don't have to keep asserting that you're a paddy. Most Europeans are indifferent to us, a few from my own experiences would view us as trash.

It's why I'll never identify with being a European, the Irish and British stick out like a sore thumb.
    Really, where did you encounter this? Around the party islands? My experience has been exactly the opposite, almost everyone is happy to hear you are Irish, especially ladies :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's completely different to what you said earlier, so doesn't really sum it up!

Advertisement