Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolours at music gigs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

smash wrote: »
    But that's not what it stands for
    That's really not your decision to make. People are free to interpret their flag as they wish, bearing in mind its historical origins. The Orange and Green division may have abated in society, but it is in no way illegitimate to perceive the fundamental message as being one of people of different backgrounds and beliefs living together peacefully and democratically.

Anyway, the point was that paying respect to your society is not a mission in trying to "impress" anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't own a tri colour or a county gaa Jersey but I don't see anything wrong with people being proud of where they're from.

I wish people would stop mention GAA county Jerseys. That's sporting related and it's completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I wish people would stop mention GAA county Jerseys. That's sporting related and it's completely different.

Not really. You see plenty of morons in Bondi Junction pubs wearing their county jerseys as some idiotic badge of identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jaysus this nation would moan a fart

Think it's great to see it being more common around personally, for a while the Tricolour was kind of hijacked by the hardline Republican movement and anyone seen with it you'd think "Ah, there's an IRA head"

conorh91 wrote: »
    That's really not your decision to make. People are free to interpret their flag as they wish, bearing in mind its historical origins. The Orange and Green division may have abated in society, but it is in no way illegitimate to perceive the fundamental message as being one of people of different backgrounds and beliefs living together peacefully and democratically.

Anyway, the point was that paying respect to your society is not a mission in trying to "impress" anyone.

Interpret it as you want, I don't care. But I'd hazard a guess that a high percentage of those who fly the flag to 'pay respect to their society' really don't know what it means to be part of a society and will sit there moaning about water charges and any other issue that arises which would mean that they have to contribute to their society.

Einstein said "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." and I'd agree with him.

• Advertisement

Einstein said "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." and I'd agree with him.
    I'm sure you would, it's very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

I think the reason some "Irish" people hate everything Irish and being Irish has to be because of two things, 1) they are descendants from the British people who settled here in the last few hundred years, the type that call liverpool fc and man united us, play soccer, ridicule the GAA. prefer watching the English football team over Ireland, use phrases like mate, cheers, go to man united matches and chant in english accents etc.

2) They have become brainwashed by British media and would rather be British now.

I have heard Irish people talking to Engish people on holiday in English accents, cringy isn't the word.

it baffles me why anyone would be ashamed to be Irish, we have a lot to be proud of as a nation, one of the best places to live in the world, great education system, friendly fun loving helpful people. lots of successful sports people, entrepreneur's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Post 50 didn't say that when I quoted it so nice ninja edit. Although it doesn't really matter. I didn't say there was harm in it, just that I find it obscure.
    Ninja edit not for your benefit Smash, just felt the need to explain the elderly gentleman's reason for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

It really is pathetic isn't it. Look at the Americans, hang their flag with pride outside their houses the length and breath of that country but do it in Ireland and your a scumbag according to the hipsters. What the feck is wrong with having pride in your national flag?

Who the hell are these 'hipsters' everyone keeps saying?

Most people on boards don't seem to know what a hipster is anymore and/or is jealous.

Irish flag wearers at Irish gigs (in Ireland) = scummy, would not speak to, most likely a psycho on drink.

American flag outside America = national (insecurity) pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

My neighbours have a tricolour flying in their garden the whole year round. Think of it what you will.

I think of it that you live next door to Collins Barracks (or the Ivory Coast Embassy, and your'e looking at it backwards)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

jayobray wrote: »
    Not uniquely Irish, just look at Glastonbury or any large music festival and you'll see people with flags from many countries there.

Always a giant Tricolour at Glastonbury, but I wonder would you ever see a giant Union Jack or St George Cross at an Irish music festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wouldn't do it myself, but couldn't give a toss about others doing it.

Enjoy your night, don't cause hassle, and is well. Right?
    LordSutch wrote: »
    Always a giant Tricolour at Glastonbury, but I wonder would you ever see a giant Union Jack or St George Cross at an Irish music festival?

No, unfortunately. You'd have no shortage of patriots quick to confront anyone with one and tell them where to shove it.

Once again, couldn't give a toss if they bring it. Just don't be a dick and cause hassle, really.

Did you delete that post from earlier and re-post it?

Not get enough reaction, did it?

conorh91 wrote: »
    Did you delete that post from earlier and re-post it?

Not get enough reaction, did it?

Think I posted it in the ports/flags thread too by mistake? posted it here, then found an extra one here and deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

What type of gob****e packs a tricolour in their bag when they are going on holidays?

Think I posted it in the ports/flags thread too by mistake? posted it here, then found an extra one here and deleted it.
    Oh. The lack of angry backlash is disappointing isn't it, but it's early days. Don't give up.

What's up with you?

Flags at festivals, that's all . . .

crybaby wrote: »
    What type of gob****e packs a tricolour in their bag when they are going on holidays?
    The kind that enjoys a cheap package holiday in a clubbing destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Jaysus Smash, normally I enjoy your posts, but WTF is up with all the hate man?

Sometimes 'a cheap package holiday in a clubbing destination', is all some people can afford & what they want.

Not everyone is a culture vulture with infinite amounts of cash, why begrudge someone their two weeks of fun, doing what they enjoy?

For the less fortunate & wealthy alike, holidays are a break from the everyday drudgery of life, it's just people living a little, lighten up ;)

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Jaysus Smash, normally I enjoy your posts, but WTF is up with all the hate man?

Sometimes 'a cheap package holiday in a clubbing destination', is all some people can afford & what they want.

Not everyone is a culture vulture with infinite amounts of cash, why begrudge someone their two weeks of fun, doing what they enjoy?

For the less fortunate & wealthy alike, holidays are a break from the everyday drudgery of life, it's just people living a little, lighten up ;)

I'm not hating, I'm just generalising. I'm not begrudging people either. I've been to a few clubbing destinations myself over the years although I didn't stay in the centre of all it. When abroad, the flags usually let me know who to avoid disregarding their nationality :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭emo72

I remember when U2 were playing live aid and watching the tricolour waving all day, thinking that lad is going to go ape **** when bono and the lads hit the stage.
    "Here comes bono! Look bono I brought the flaaaaaag!!" Felt so much pride that day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

seamus wrote: »

Also massive gobsheens in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Is it a uniquely Irish thing to do?

Obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Is it a uniquely Irish thing to do?

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Avoiding lads who wear tricolours at gigs does not make you ashamed of your nationality. Don't see that link. These guys are usually looking for confrontation/ attention and are drunk as fúck to boot.

1361266910312178063.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Irish flag on your house/car when Ireland are in a WC/Euros...fine.

Irish flag wrapped around you at a concert or on holidays...bit weird.

If I saw a lad in Spain on his jollies covered in the St. George's flag/UJ, I'd steer clear of him as I'd worry he was looking for agro. Same with an Irish lad draped in green, white, and orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

What's up with you?

Flags at festivals, that's all . . .

Arent you annoyed about them at ports and outside pubs, restaurants and hotels as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Who the hell are these 'hipsters' everyone keeps saying?

Most people on boards don't seem to know what a hipster is anymore and/or is jealous.

Irish flag wearers at Irish gigs (in Ireland) = scummy, would not speak to, most likely a psycho on drink.

American flag outside America = national (insecurity) pride.

So you judge people before you even speak to them? You are a nice person I'd say. Any other stereotypes you'd like to indulge us in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The cheek of them. I wouldn't be seen dead with them loike. Taking a stroll around a museum in Italy with a glass of the finest red wine that's where it's at man. Fun city here we come.

Advertisement