Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolours at music gigs

Options
  • 29-07-2015 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭

Who wakes up and thinks, I need to have a tricolour cape to wear to that gig I'm off to?

Why would you bother - what are you trying to say / do / achieve ?

Is it a uniquely Irish thing to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's a great way to spot gob****es.

This also applies to people hanging flags on their apartments in Spain and playing rebel songs on st.patricks day.

Mostly, they are full time mad bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I always assumed these folks were Irish superheroes having a well deserved day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

zoobizoo wrote: »
    It's really, really, not.

https://triviallyyours.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/img_3919.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Not uniquely Irish, just look at Glastonbury or any large music festival and you'll see people with flags from many countries there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it a foreign or domestic festivals.

At foreign festivals it's a way to pick up chicks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm proud to be irish wearing my tricolour y-fronts:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why the shame of anything Irish? Anytime I've been to America, I've noticed most houses would have the Stars and Stripes flying outside the house. Someone did that over here they'd be completely ridiculed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

When I was in college I used to do agency bar work. A stand out moment was working the bar at a Wolfe Tones gig. Mother of jaysus, the state of most of the fans there. Tricolours strewn around their shoulders, Bobby Sands t-shirts, medallion rings, those really faded and cheap looking tattoos on the arms.

For all their misty eyed love of Ireland they didn't seem to mind having the tricolour soaked in beer as they threw it up on the bar when ordering pints. Never saw such a bunch of mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging Neanderthals gather in one place in all my time. That includes the band. Stupid jingoistic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

foggy_lad wrote: »

I've a thong myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

foggy_lad wrote: »

Were they tricolour when you bought them? If not, one of the colours is wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Hardly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Cream crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

If at a music festival abroad it could be a good way to spot fellow Irish folks / English speaking people. props are great at events like that as they provoke a lot of reactions from random strangers you might never talk to other wise.

I'll admit flag wearing im not fully sold on as something about it seems a bit scumbag ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Please, tell me you are taking the fucking piss.

Fucking sick of this shite in every second thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I quite like the practice.

Allows me to easily identify which people to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

rubadub wrote: »
    Please, PLEASE tell me you are taking the fucking piss.

May I should clairfy - at domestic gigs......

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

What to avoid when displaying the national flag:

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/1104.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why the shame of anything Irish? Anytime I've been to America, I've noticed most houses would have the Stars and Stripes flying outside the house. Someone did that over here they'd be completely ridiculed.
    Because it's incredibly cringey. Wearing your nationality as a badge of pride is what morons do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

jamesbere wrote: »
    I've a thong myself

Sporting the the 'ol Green white and brown with pride are we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You're comparing apples and oranges. They're brainwashed from a young age. The first thing they do every day in school is pledge allegiance to the flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

It's a great way to spot gob****es.

This also applies to people hanging flags on their apartments in Spain and playing rebel songs on st.patricks day.

Mostly, they are full time mad bastards.

Unsurprisingly, most of them see nothing wrong with defacing the flag with slogans and tacky images too. From the national flag publication:
    17 The National Flag should never be
    defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering
    or pictures of any kind on it, for example
    at sporting events

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/1104.pdf

They're patriots, don't you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I always hang the tricolour out the window when Ireland are playing in a World Cup or European championship finals as do hundreds of thousands of others in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

seamus wrote: »
    Because it's incredibly cringey. Wearing your nationality as a badge of pride is what morons do.

Give me the morons any day over some sad hipster sneering from behind his half-cafe latte. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I always hang the tricolour out the window when Ireland are playing in a World Cup or European championship finals as do hundreds of thousands of others in the country

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do you hang a Man City flag out your window when they play?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

smash wrote: »

Does it matter?

I think it's been fairly well concluded that this is not a uniquely Irish thing to do, and we don't really need to add to our national breast-beating and hair-tearing about our awful backward ways over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

smash wrote: »

no the Sergio Aguero mural on the gable end is enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Bring the flag away on holidays and hang it from the balcony with pride. Feck the begrudgers.

If it winds up the hipsters all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

No problem with that at all as it's the national team playing.

Different to wearing a flag to a gig though

Advertisement