Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Was a very mild winter here for it.
    Dunno how good it would be if we got a snowy one. Alot didn't look to well after the frost
    Willie M?
    Seriously early ground either side of the slaney
    Be great ground for milk :D
    Blackgrass wrote: »
    Find bio drill easy to use yes happy with it. Goes on drill for applying avadex also.
    We've peas near right so better come right! Over cast but windy last few days.
    Got a nice call we need more trailers! This afternoon yeilding up on 4.5t/ha at late 7's-8% oils back to more common mid 40's happy chappy though.

Reminds me of another man, you heard of willie fitz he's stone mad! Sorry not your guy, sher be bad grass land burns up for august time what ya saying :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Got a nice call we need more trailers! This afternoon yeilding up on 4.5t/ha at late 7's-8% oils back to more common mid 40's happy chappy though.

Reminds me of another man, you heard of willie fitz he's stone mad! Sorry not your guy, sher be bad grass land burns up for august time what ya saying :D;)
    Screen?
    Heard of him alright done know him personally.
    Looks like baler is ****ed.
    Circa 80k bales.
    Got her back together dad went and baled 12 bales but very bad vibrating.

New tractor turned up, now we have time I n August to do work not tear about ripping ground out of rape to be ready to redrill osr, a nice luxury is time...
    Stilts but wrong place.
    Tillage train

New tractor turned up, now we have time I n August to do work not tear about ripping ground out of rape to be ready to redrill osr, a nice luxury is time...
    Stilts but wrong place.
    Tillage train

Serious kit.
    What area what would she cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Stilts but wrong place.
    Tillage train

Nice bit of kit there Blackgrass!

I'm glad I didn't post up pics of my new pony....only half the size!

Harvest going well?
    I will post up my harvest returns later.

• Advertisement

Stilts but wrong place.
    Tillage train

Got grass sowed yesterday.
    Alan made a boo boo and didn't split seed rate so couldn't go both ways.
    Lifted up the tyres on back of drill and put all pressure on the disc's
    Says in the 30 yrs he's been traveling our road he's never seen it ploughed

Serious kit.
    What area what would she cover.

Unless x2 shifting 6-9 what ever that covers, 100 acres with 6m cultivator eg is what expect at least....

Dawggone wrote: »
    Nice bit of kit there Blackgrass!

I'm glad I didn't post up pics of my new pony....only half the size!

Harvest going well?
    I will post up my harvest returns later.

Magnum?
    Yeah should beat rain early next week will have peas and osr done. Finishing at 6 this pm for a rest, cultivators started yesterday.

Got second quad for that precious thing at harvest, time! To do other stuff between ripping out oar ground and putting back in on wheat. Have an agreement to plough bout 1000 acre of ad maize for local companies ntractor for some pasteurised digest ate and keep quads busy jan/feb before start work on home block in march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Stilts but wrong place.
    Tillage train

Can you work an air drill type set up over there wit a tractor like that. Or is the soil to sticky for one of them? You could cover 12m easy with one.

Can you work an air drill type set up over there wit a tractor like that. Or is the soil to sticky for one of them? You could cover 12m easy with one.

Do you mean like an oz style air drill and seed cart or a standard air powered drill like the accord etc..?
    We use a vaderstadt 8m rapid which is more like cultivator with a drill bolted on top as the soil here is more akin to pottery clayN Dublin- Meath with lighter land further afield which is going into direct drilling. The tractor powers the air off a hydraulically driven fan rather than pto. There are a few 12m drills about, Px farms are local if you want to YouTube(pecky owner is a grade a knob though).

• Advertisement

Ya the oz style air drill and seed cart, you can drop feed the liquid fert as you drill and feed mins to the soil and adjust from field to field as required.

Just queries as to how they don't take off on big outfits this side of the world is it soil type?

Edit: those vaderstadt drills look like an impressive piece of kit.

Ya the oz style air drill and seed cart, you can drop feed the liquid fert as you drill and feed mins to the soil and adjust from field to field as required.

Just queries as to how they don't take off on big outfits this side of the world is it soil type?

Getting them around, they're a Direct drill more so than our cultivator drills i imagine? Our soils would be wetter and need more relieveing from compaction(but a little more fertile!) and we'd be through more times over season so not to worried about dumping everything on the field at once for minerals/fert. Looking at some trace elements on seed coating and use liquid for some crops that need a quick up and go like osr.

Edit: those vaderstadt drills look like an impressive piece of kit.

Soil type would be the big one, the vaddy is ok but can't go in the wet and needs to pulled at 15km/H +.... Moves a lot of dirt, needs power looking at less disturbing drill maybe

OK as promised harvest results.

Wheat.
    Average yield ( tons harvested/ha wheat) = 8.57tons/ha
    Average % moisture = 12.1%
    Average bushel = 79.8 kg/hl

Wheat sold to date = €181.89 average across all tons.
    83% of wheat sold.
    Wheat in store is all above 13.6% protein (should have sold more!).

Wbarley 7.1ton/ha.
    Moisture 11.1%
    Bushel 69.7kg/hl.
    All barley sold @ € 166/ton

Triticale. 7.9ton/ha
    All sold @ € 164/ton

Magnum?
    Yeah should beat rain early next week will have peas and osr done. Finishing at 6 this pm for a rest, cultivators started yesterday.

Got second quad for that precious thing at harvest, time! To do other stuff between ripping out oar ground and putting back in on wheat. Have an agreement to plough bout 1000 acre of ad maize for local companies ntractor for some pasteurised digest ate and keep quads busy jan/feb before start work on home block in march

Settled on a blue Magnum and got rid of the MF's for a blue and a red puma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ttttttttytttty

What would be a a good feeding option for finishing Bulls at 16 months

Forage maize, maize meal ad lib, and balanced with soya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Depends on how many. Your option are decided by the number you intend to feed. If you are feeding only 8-10 they you are kinda limited to either a miller supplied ration or a specific mix. When you get to 20+ options like treated barley become an option.

You would need to be at the 50+ mark to consider forage maize and crimped grains are still more than likly the most viable option with maybe beet. Straights come into play at 100+. However you will need to balance all the above with a protein and fibre source.

OK as promised harvest results.

Wheat.
    Average yield ( tons harvested/ha wheat) = 8.57tons/ha
    Average % moisture = 12.1%
    Average bushel = 79.8 kg/hl

Wheat sold to date = €181.89 average across all tons.
    83% of wheat sold.
    Wheat in store is all above 13.6% protein (should have sold more!).

Wbarley 7.1ton/ha.
    Moisture 11.1%
    Bushel 69.7kg/hl.
    All barley sold @ € 166/ton

Triticale. 7.9ton/ha
    All sold @ € 164/ton
    Happy enough with your wheat proteins are high! any idea what the late N was worth?
    Done osr/peas busy moleploughing land that wasnt subsoiled last year and cultivating start wheat Thursday i reckon so should be all squared off to drill osr. Gone try the 210r on rexius just to press down the heaviest of planted osr ground as a rolls.
    Peas did 4.8t/ha which very happy with, had to send them away wet as pia to dry at low heat.
    Osr yielded about 4.4-.5t/ha on average so happy enough.

Happy enough with your wheat proteins are high! any idea what the late N was worth?
    Done osr/peas busy moleploughing land that wasnt subsoiled last year and cultivating start wheat Thursday i reckon so should be all squared off to drill osr. Gone try the 210r on rexius just to press down the heaviest of planted osr ground as a rolls.
    Peas did 4.8t/ha which very happy with, had to send them away wet as pia to dry at low heat.
    Osr yielded about 4.4-.5t/ha on average so happy enough.

Very good yields there BG. Big boss should be happy. Price is still falling on the back of reports of a record wheat harvest out of France.

We are still clearing fields here. Should be subsoiling tramlines next week.

• Advertisement

This is the reason we use the vaddy drill, we'll press with the rexius pre drill but depends on the weather if the clay will dry like concrete or weather down as steel and diesel can only do so much. Another issue is poor seedbeds are just not a go here as gives terrible BG control due to poor pre em coverage. The left side should breakdown to look like the right side which is almost perfect.

This is the reason we use the vaddy drill, we'll press with the rexius pre drill but depends on the weather if the clay will dry like concrete or weather down as steel and diesel can only do so much. Another issue is poor seedbeds are just not a go here as gives terrible BG control due to poor pre em coverage. The left side should breakdown to look like the right side which is almost perfect.

That is a really stubborn type of clay!
    Proper man's ground. When you walk across that on a damp day would half the field be stuck to your boots?

What's causing the lumps.
    That would pee me off

Have new assistant today as mammies away, nice breezey day with a little snooze aswel. Went to check on the troops going ok.
    GG/Dg will get back later but let's say if you can plough and drill within a month it's boys ground type clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Say youn own your own land, how much does it cost to sow, spray, fert, cut your own spring barley?

Have new assistant today as mammies away, nice breezey day with a little snooze aswel. Went to check on the troops going ok.
    GG/Dg will get back later but let's say if you can plough and drill within a month it's boys ground type clay.

Looks like ye'r chopping some wheat there, any idea of yields?

Fine for you having a snooze when there's work to be done! :)

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Say youn own your own land, how much does it cost to sow, spray, fert, cut your own spring barley?

Looking to find out what your neighbour is making? the same as me ;)
    They say 900/ha for malting

kevthegaff wrote: »

You'll be lucky if you get to keep the cash you get for the straw.

Looks like ye'r chopping some wheat there, any idea of yields?

Fine for you having a snooze when there's work to be done! :)

I was up later and earlier than most last night let me assure you! To be fair got it running smoothly now main men know what's ahead of them for 3/4 days, fill students in around them got most organising done so just on guard for big spammers been thrown in the work. Have cb's on all machines now so everyone is in contact constantly and grain trucks/deliveries now routed via office secretary who comes full time for harvest. I'm just the busy fool running about!

• Advertisement

You'll be lucky if you get to keep the cash you get for the straw.

Really? I offered neighbour 50/ac last yr to grow fodder rape after he cut his winter corn this yr and he turned me down

Advertisement