Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Payne won't play neither 15 nor 13 because Earls/Kearney will be choosen in the end:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i get nervous when i hear people talking about that we are dead certs for the Quarter finals. we should beat canada and romania but Italy will be a tough one and France always play well against us. A repeat of 2007 will be a disaster.

I have a strange feeling Italy will beat France or worse we top our group and Argentina top there group meaning its us vs the All Blacks in the Quarters.

cant wait for it all

Apologies to the Mocker Gods but we are not going to lose to Italy...we just aren't

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you ignore Thornley's predictable use of the term "mercurial" this article encapsulates my feelings about the French game - nervous! In the last 4 years we've beaten them twice and drawn twice, average winning margin over the 4 games is 2.25 points. Definitely not one to be taken lightly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

i get nervous when i hear people talking about that we are dead certs for the Quarter finals. we should beat canada and romania but Italy will be a tough one and France always play well against us. A repeat of 2007 will be a disaster.

I have a strange feeling Italy will beat France or worse we top our group and Argentina top there group meaning its us vs the All Blacks in the Quarters.

cant wait for it all

PTH optimisms continues :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

connachta wrote: »
    Payne won't play neither 15 nor 13 because Earls/Kearney will be choosen in the end:P

And don't forget Marmion at 9.

Sorry i just couldn't resist.

• Advertisement

And don't forget Marmion at 9.

Sorry i just couldn't resist.

And Buckley for LH if Healy is off;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

cant wait for it all

We will beat Italy, but France is something else altogether. In a strange twist (considering they held it over us for so long) we have held the Indian sign over France for the past few years. They have brilliant individual talent at their disposal, but have largely failed to knit that into a cohesive team, still though, man for man they match our talent, and might exceed it.

We can certainly beat them, but if we do it'll be by the narrowest of margins. And they will probably be the slim favourites with the bookies in the lead up to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

You wouldn't think Earls would get the nod for 23? Think he provides better cover than DK

Good point,
    Thinking about it, could Earls be a dark horse to start left wing against Wales?
    If he can cover 13 and 14, and 11, he would be a good pair with Zebo starting at 11 and Earls at 23.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah... To be honest, it would be pretty amazing if DK is ahead of Earls in the 23 now...

But at the end of the day, we'll have 4 quality players and only 2 can make the 23.... Fitz, Earls, Zebo and DK. Presuming that Bowe starts that is...

Personally I'd be taking Fitz and Earls, Fitz to 11 and Earls to 23.

Ok but on match day, who would move to 15 if Kearney were to get injured, Payne to 15 and Earls to 13?
    I'd rather Zebo to 15 and Earls to 11.

Edit: see you already answered this

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

Good point,
    Thinking about it, could Earls be a dark horse to start left wing against Wales?
    If he can cover 13 and 14, and 11, he would be a good pair with Zebo starting at 11 and Earls at 23.
    I doubt it, joe has been very reluctant to put a right footer on the left(has he ever actually?(not including DK))
    I think we'll either see fitz or DK on the left vs Wales.

I could see earls as 23 vs wales to come on for Payne

• Advertisement

I doubt it, joe has been very reluctant to put a right footer on the left(has he ever actually?(not including DK))
    I think we'll either see fitz or DK on the left vs Wales.

I could see earls as 23 vs wales to come on for Payne

Is McFadden a left footer?
    Genuinely don't know.
    Also people keep saying DK is a right footer but I think he's a lefty that built up his confidence in his right leg through gaa, same as Rob?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Guessing at a team to face Wales,

Killer, Best, White
    Ryan POC
    POM Heaslip SOB
    Marmion Jakson
    Madigan, Henshaw
    DK Jones Zebo

McGrath, Cronin, Toner, Henderson, Boss, Cave, Earls.

Madigan is getting big points for his versatility so I reckon Joe will want to see it in action in an international. Marmion deserves his chance, I believe Boss will take the spot but I feel he should have a run as a starter. Henshaw at 13 I am unsure of given Joe sees him as a 12 for the moment but wanted to get him some game time. DK had a good few minutes vs Scotland and so would like to see him get a game especially with Trimble out. Jones should be given a shot to stake his claim. No fly half on the bench but Madigan simply moves over if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Christy42 wrote: »

Killer, Best, White
    Ryan POC
    POM Heaslip SOB
    Marmion Jakson
    Madigan, Henshaw
    DK Jones Zebo

Madigan is getting big points for his versatility so I reckon Joe will want to see it in action in an international. Marmion deserves his chance, I believe Boss will take the spot but I feel he should have a run as a starter. Henshaw at 13 I am unsure of given Joe sees him as a 12 for the moment but wanted to get him some game time. DK had a good few minutes vs Scotland and so would like to see him get a game especially with Trimble out. Jones should be given a shot to stake his claim. No fly half on the bench but Madigan simply moves over if need be.

Murray, Sexton, Kearney?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Joe has given no indication whether or not he thinks that Payne is a better 13 than fullback - just that he thinks Kearney is a better fullback than Payne and Payne is a good 13.

He won't be moved to 15 as he is still learning to play 13 and it would disrupt the centre partnership.

Could also say nobody looks better than Payne at 13 and Rob Kearney is a good fullback.
    Also, think he's past the learning phase...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

Genuinely don't know.
    Also people keep saying DK is a right footer but I think he's a lefty that built up his confidence in his right leg through gaa, same as Rob?

I'm actually not sure but I think he's right. So yeah I suppose there is precedent of it but I think McFadden was played on the "wrong" wing to accommodate for Trimble. Ferg moved to the right and Zebo went to the left when Trimble got injured as well IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Killer, Best, White
    Ryan POC
    POM Heaslip SOB
    Marmion Jakson
    Madigan, Henshaw
    DK Jones Zebo

Good to see Toner get a go at tighthead - he's a bit untested there as of yet but if Moore isn't fit and White doesn't take his chance I reckon Dev could be a bolter for Ross' understudy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

wittycynic wrote: »
    We can certainly beat them, but if we do it'll be by the narrowest of margins. And they will probably be the slim favourites with the bookies in the lead up to the game.

Considering we're 8/15 on to win the group that's pretty unlikely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Could also say nobody looks better than Payne at 13 and Rob Kearney is a good fullback.
    Also, think he's past the learning phase...

You could except it wouldn't make any sense considering Payne was the one moved out of his provincial position.

Payne won't be moved to full back regardless of how good a fullback he is because it will disrupt the centres.

You could except it wouldn't make any sense considering Payne was the one moved out of his provincial position.

Payne won't be moved to full back regardless of how good a fullback he is because it will disrupt the centres.

How much influence did the Irish manager have over Payne being moved to 13 at Ulster? I'd say that's the only reason he was moved from fullback.

Also agree it is a done deal now, I think Joe sees him as our 1st choice 13, with Earls next best by a small but decisive margin IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

How much influence did the Irish manager have over Payne being moved to 13 at Ulster? I'd say that's the only reason he was moved from fullback.

Also agree it is a done deal now, I think Joe sees him as our 1st choice 13, with Earls next best by a small but decisive margin IMO.

What odds would Paddy Power give on Earls being our starting 13 first game of the world cup?

• Advertisement

Wang King wrote: »
    What odds would Paddy Power give on Earls being our starting 13 first game of the world cup?

I would guess that Payne will start against Canada, Earls against Romania and thereafter our 1st choice team all the way to the final! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Considering we're 8/15 on to win the group that's pretty unlikely.

I said in the lead up to the match, and I do think the odds will move between now and October. We've gotten the better of them in the last two outings, but neither of those performances would lead me to believe that we are considerably ahead of them. They have a very strong history of performing at World Cups and were narrow runners-up just four years ago.

They also had a good showing against England in Twickenham last weekend, and have a lot of quality and depth throughout the squad. I fully believe that we have the ability to beat them, but don't be surprised if they are more fancied than they are currently come the group decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wang King wrote: »

Pretty scabby, I'd imagine. At this point, it's a complete toss up between himself and Payne regardless of which is first choice as we're not going to put out a completely full strength side, I'd imagine.

I said in the lead up to the match, and I do think the odds will move between now and October. We've gotten the better of them in the last two outings, but neither of those performances would lead me to believe that we are considerably ahead of them. They have a very strong history of performing at World Cups and were narrow runners-up just four years ago.

They also had a good showing against England in Twickenham last weekend, and have a lot of quality and depth throughout the squad. I fully believe that we have the ability to beat them, but don't be surprised if they are more fancied than they are currently come the group decider.

I'm plagued with the vision that they will turn up and we'll have a gut-wrenching opening half where they open us up.
    Then they will get bored with the effort and our lads will dominate the 2nd half and roll them over. Just a thought. 😰

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

france could just as easily lose to italy in the first game as put a score on us. They shipped 55 points to england in march, 1 point less then ireland conceded in the entire 6n.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes but the chances of them pushing the needle that far with the bookies based on warm ups and group games is massively slim. We'd have to lose to Italy to make them favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Genuinely don't know.

McFadden is a right footed
    & im nearly 100% sure DK is also a RF (hes left handed)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Murray, Sexton, Kearney?

Depends how badly they need game time. I reckon they would be fine for another bit and would prefer they don't get injured. England will be pretty close to a 1st team and they can come back for that. My thinking on it anyway.

If Joe fails to see Toner's potential at tighthead then Ross can go on the bench and we take the full 8 subs. Really think we are missing a trick there leaving him at lock though;).

McFadden is a right footed
    & im nearly 100% sure DK is also a RF
    I've heard DK used to kick penalties so that should make it obvious if anyone has seen him kick at goal?
    Kinda kills the whole 'have to be left-legged to play left wing' argument, so Earls can play 11 without that debate.

• Advertisement

Depends how badly they need game time. I reckon they would be fine for another bit and would prefer they don't get injured. England will be pretty close to a 1st team and they can come back for that. My thinking on it anyway.

If Joe fails to see Toner's potential at tighthead then Ross can go on the bench and we take the full 8 subs. Really think we are missing a trick there leaving him at lock though;).

Thanks for the 1st part

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement