Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion in junior infants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

zeffabelli wrote: »
    That was in history?

How was it presented? Was it presented as Jesus the son of God, or Jesus, who as an adult claimed to be the son of God.

It's worse that this was placed in history, as fact.

Jesus was not the son of a god, he was s man who CLAIMED to be an incarnated manifestation of one particular God, a God the Jews chose to follow.

I do think people are over optimistic about ET schools, I don't want this kind of thing or posters about Ramadan everywhere either.

He was the son of god born to a virgin etc. It digusted me that this was in a history book.

I've no problem with ramadan posters during ramadan to explain what it is, trees at christmas, stories about Hannukah, whatever - as long as they're part of an educational curriculum and not presented as doctrinal instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I agree but in 10 years I've never been aware of any bullying through isolation because of non-religious participation. Ever. Your experience probably says more about the children's parents because children are very accepting. It's when parents try to inflict and force their strong opinions on them that affects children and their behaviour.

It's the fact that religion is taught during school hours. It should be an after school class. There is no way 50% of people are practicing RC.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Some of the suggestions here for alternative arrangements for non-religious children are unwieldy and unworkable.

Families are complicated. Very few are actually the 2 kids mom and dad scenario.

We have families who are full time carers for special needs or elderly, who cant spend hours commuting to a non-religious school inbetween juggling hospital or physio appointments.

We have lone or single parents who cant just quit a job and homeschool because they will either have to live off fresh air or commit dole fraud.

We have separated parents who are legally prevented from moving their child out of a juridstiction to a place where an ET school would be convenient, by the other parent. That also goes for the emigration option.

We have parents who already commute long distances to do their job, and cant add to that commute to bring a child to a school far away.

We have step kids and step siblings who go to different schools and might require different routes to get dropped off.

We have families who have to stay in the rural area because thats where they farm their land, and that's all they have. Or care for an elderly relative nearby.

We have families who cant afford to move because of negative equity.

There are so many reason why a family cant just move/quit work and just want workable alternatives in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Dob74 wrote: »
    It's the fact that religion is taught during school hours. It should be an after school class. There is no way 50% of people are practicing RC.

That percentage doesn't make a difference. People like rituals and traditions. A lot get married in church for other than religious reasons, they baptize children because it's a family get together and a celebration of child. The same goes for communion and confirmation. I think some here have very unrealistic expectations regarding the demand for religious education. If you go down the popular route, I can guarantee you religious schools will stay. And in smaller towns it will hard to get enough demand for one different school (as it turned out in 2013).

On another issue I find the idea of home schooling ridiculous. People spend years in education to become teachers and the taxpayer pays for it. Now the same parents who pay taxes for state services are told, no sorry you should home school your kids because we farmed out education to non state bodies to do it according to their ethos.

Home schooling is not a solution unless you wear sandals and live in a commune but in that case kids are f*cked anyway.

And yes the last comment is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Interesting article from the Independent today

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/religious-monopoly-on-schools-has-no-place-in-a-republic-31441997.html

Only 3 schools have been moved from the Churches control

you would wonder why it is taking so long....

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    If only that were true too. My kids went to an ET school and they were taught the story of Christmas, jesus the son of god - the whole shebang. Guess what subject? It was an entire chapter in their senior infants history book! The whole curriculum is rife with christain indoctrination.

What was the textbook called?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't read all 22 pages but this is a great topic TBH.

My own little fella will be starting school soon and the lack of choice in this country in 2015 is appalling. We're all for SSM and transgender rights (and why not), but when it comes to our children's education we apparently see nothing wrong with our schools still being controlled by an ethos that I'd say 90%+ of people have no belief in (regardless of what they put down on the census forms), and feel like we have no choice but to "go along with it" for fear of making the situation worse for the child themselves.

My mother had a very modern outlook on this at the time (early 80s). Her attitude was that myself and my sister would not be indoctrinated by the local Catholic school but would be allowed to make our own minds up on the subject when we were old enough - she got away with it too (very stubborn was my mam) and as it turned out I have a "each to their own" attitude in adulthood. While religion has no relevance or interest to me, I fully support the rights of others to believe what they will - AS LONG AS that belief does not affect or unduly influence others or society.

However while I was resistant to the idea of him even being baptised, I reluctantly bowed to the wisdom that not doing so would limit his choice of schools as a result :( While my initial impression of ET schools was pretty positive, having then spoken to some people about it - including teachers - I learned that because of the multicultural and diverse backgrounds of these schools, a lot of time is spent on basic English skills as a result of many of the pupils not coming from native English backgrounds. Now no doubt some here will cry "racist" but the idea of my little fella losing out because the teacher has to spend so much time on this doesn't sit well... so as a result the only options are the "default local catholic school".

Not quite sure how I'll handle the religion classes themselves yet, but I certainly don't want him being told he's a "sinner" and has to earn his way to "heaven" for the rest of his life at the age of 3/4, to say nothing of the whole Creationism angle, and the time spent on all this (and Irish!) at the expense of more useful things. Again if it were up to me I'd just let him sit out the classes (as I did in my day) but I'm also aware that this may lead to other issues.

As I say it's a ridiculous state of affairs really and not an easy one for parents either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

My own little fella will be starting school soon and the lack of choice in this country in 2015 is appalling. We're all for SSM and transgender rights (and why not), but when it comes to our children's education we apparently see nothing wrong with our schools still being controlled by an ethos that I'd say 90%+ of people have no belief in (regardless of what they put down on the census forms), and feel like we have no choice but to "go along with it" for fear of making the situation worse for the child themselves.

My mother had a very modern outlook on this at the time (early 80s). Her attitude was that myself and my sister would not be indoctrinated by the local Catholic school but would be allowed to make our own minds up on the subject when we were old enough - she got away with it too (very stubborn was my mam) and as it turned out I have a "each to their own" attitude in adulthood. While religion has no relevance or interest to me, I fully support the rights of others to believe what they will - AS LONG AS that belief does not affect or unduly influence others or society.

However while I was resistant to the idea of him even being baptised, I reluctantly bowed to the wisdom that not doing so would limit his choice of schools as a result :( While my initial impression of ET schools was pretty positive, having then spoken to some people about it - including teachers - I learned that because of the multicultural and diverse backgrounds of these schools, a lot of time is spent on basic English skills as a result of many of the pupils not coming from native English backgrounds. Now no doubt some here will cry "racist" but the idea of my little fella losing out because the teacher has to spend so much time on this doesn't sit well... so as a result the only options are the "default local catholic school".

Not quite sure how I'll handle the religion classes themselves yet, but I certainly don't want him being told he's a "sinner" and has to earn his way to "heaven" for the rest of his life at the age of 3/4, to say nothing of the whole Creationism angle, and the time spent on all this (and Irish!) at the expense of more useful things. Again if it were up to me I'd just let him sit out the classes (as I did in my day) but I'm also aware that this may lead to other issues.

As I say it's a ridiculous state of affairs really and not an easy one for parents either way!

I think your reason for not choosing ET is misguided. You may find that your default school is just as slow and frustrating if your child is smart, as the teacher spends a lot of time bringing up the slower learners. My son was bored to tears, and 6th class was just torture because of the slow pace. I also think having kids from different backgrounds is a huge positive and opens up more scope for friends, my son didn't fit in at all in a rural school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

inocybe wrote: »
    I think your reason for not choosing ET is misguided. You may find that your default school is just as slow and frustrating if your child is smart, as the teacher spends a lot of time bringing up the slower learners. My son was bored to tears, and 6th class was just torture because of the slow pace. I also think having kids from different backgrounds is a huge positive and opens up more scope for friends, my son didn't fit in at all in a rural school.

Well there's only one ET locally (a symptom of the larger problem I guess) and opinions are decidedly mixed whereas one of the others is generally very positive from past students and now parents themselves.

Sure you could take the chance I guess, but given the waiting lists, is it right/fair to gamble with his options like that?

FWIW I went to several primary schools in Holland myself (we were over there for 3 years in the mid-late 80s) and agree fully that it was a very positive environment... but speaking of languages - it's always stuck with me how the kids in my class spoke at least 2 languages fluently (Dutch and English - UK/US TV over there was subtitled not dubbed) and often more while our own schools waste hours per week on Irish and Religion.

Both of these belong in the home IMO or in dedicated (Sunday) schools. If you want your child to be raised with fluent Irish and a religious belief then by all means work away.. but forcing a classroom of kids to sit through it as well is a completely different matter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

to say nothing of the whole Creationism angle, and the time spent on all this (and Irish!)

Creationism is not taught here, it's not the first time that lie has been peddled on this thread.

• Advertisement

My son went to an ET school when they were a lot less prevalent than they are nowadays. At the time there were only nine across the whole country and seven of those were in Dublin.

Make no mistake about this: Educate Together schools were definitively atheist. They promoted and practised multi-denominationalism, but they prioritised non-belief. I knew many of the parents who were involved in the establishment of four of the seven original Dublin ET schools, and every one of them was an atheist - and the original purpose of the multi-denominational schools was to provide a primary education for the children of those who did not have a religious faith. In accordance with the rules of the system they taught religion, but what they taught was about the existence of different strands of belief and non-belief, as well as the importance of mutual respect and tolerance among people with different belief systems.

My son's school did exactly this, even though children of atheists made up a very small minority of the school community and the biggest single faith group among the pupils was Catholic. It still does likewise to this day.

I don't know what other ET schools are like nowadays, and I don't know how strong that original ethos still is - though I do wonder sometimes if ET has lost its sense of mission and moved away from non-faith and multi-faith education and towards education for different cultural groups. If it has done that, then that is IMO a loss to atheists and a loss to the system generally.

I would also stress that this is something you need to re-evaluate and reconsider:
    .....because of the multicultural and diverse backgrounds of these schools, a lot of time is spent on basic English skills as a result of many of the pupils not coming from native English backgrounds.....

That is not an ET issue; it is an issue that affects some primary schools of all types depending on the composition of the school population. My local ET school, just like all the other primary schools around me, has hardly any "newcomers", so this just isn't an issue. While all schools have common issues, every school is different, and much depends on the population of kids and parents and on the school principal and teaching staff. So people shouldn't write off ET schools just because they think they have loads of non-English speakers; they need to look more closely at whatever schools are available to them.

If you want your child to be raised with fluent Irish and a religious belief then by all means work away.. but forcing a classroom of kids to sit through it as well is a completely different matter!

I learned Irish at school, and I wanted my son to do likewise. Why should one of my languages be dropped - from the country in which it evolved and the only country in which it is spoken by native speakers - just because of your prejudice against it?

What next? If you decide you don't like Maths, does that mean it has to go as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

meeeeh wrote:
    On another issue I find the idea of home schooling ridiculous. People spend years in education to become teachers and the taxpayer pays for it. Now the same parents who pay taxes for state services are told, no sorry you should home school your kids because we farmed out education to non state bodies to do it according to their ethos.

Dare to suggest that the kids stay later in class to learn religion rather than force it on everyone. This is not a Catholic country. It's a Republic , I dislike the way people want the Catholic religion pushed on everyone. Time to relax the religious power in this state.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

harr wrote: »
    [...]I don't want to Single him out by getting him to sit out religion [...]
    That's how it works in this country - the two main churches control access to around 98% of Irish schools, so they say who can get access to education and who can't. They practice this kind of hidden discrimination easily and constantly. And even though most parents aren't pushed one way or the other too much about religion, the churches, the bishops, the priests, and the school staff will happily contrive a nasty, nasty social situation like the one you've encountered here - then throw up their hands and say it's not their fault.

I'm afraid it's entirely their fault. In fact, it's standard practice and standard policy. The very least they could do is be honest about it, but even that simple admission seems to be beyond their self-interested moral compass.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

At present , if a child opts out of religion, there are few enough options:
    1. Parent removes child at religion time.
    2.Child sits in the class and does other work/reads quietly etc.
    3. Child goes to another classroom.
    There are no spare staff to look after the child.

Of those options, the child working quietly is the most workable, I think, under the current system. This does not address things like morning prayers, the school choir singing for confirmation etc., teaching art strands through wok for communion etc.

Until people are proactive about a non-denom system, it's not going to happen, simple as. I do believe that there are far less practicing Catholics than shown by the census, but those who don't practice in a meaningful way still wish to identify themselves as Catholics, want their children to attend Catholic schools as parents want the children prepared for the "big days out."
    We need to address why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Creationism is not taught here, it's not the first time that lie has been peddled on this thread.

Hang on, my kids are just out of primary and while creationism was not forced over evolutionary theories it was implied that god made everything in 7 days, that Adam and Eve were the start of mankind, that there is a hell and heaven. So to say that it's a "lie" wouldn't be accurate.

Gerry T wrote: »
    Hang on, my kids are just out of primary and while creationism was not forced over evolutionary theories it was implied that god made everything in 7 days, that Adam and Eve were the start of mankind, that there is a hell and heaven. So to say that it's a "lie" wouldn't be accurate.
    Surely it's always thought as an allegory? Most of the old testament was considered that in my time.

Anyway this by far the best sums up how I feel about the situation. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/concern-school-divestment-policy-causing-ethnic-segregation-1.2117120

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What was the textbook called?

Can't remember off the top of my head. I might still have it here somewhere - I'll see if I can dig it up.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Surely it's always thought as an allegory? Most of the old testament was considered that in my time.

Anyway this by far the best sums up how I feel about the situation. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/concern-school-divestment-policy-causing-ethnic-segregation-1.2117120

Try telling a child of 6 that god created earth and that's a fact. Then say the great flood, adam and eve, angels, the devil are just stories to convey a message. That's a very hard concept for children. It's subjective and depends on the teacher, one will say its fact and another will mock it because they have no belief at all.

I had a read of that article and its the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. It makes no sense at all. If poor people migrate to the same area then they will attend the local school, it doesn't matter what the patron of the school is. Unless its a Muslim or Jew that is there and then the catholic church will put them to the bottom of the list, probably not getting in and ending up travelling to the next school. If the schools did not discriminate on religious grounds this would not happen. We need to get the church out of the schools. Note I say the church, and not religion necessarily. That article is just so wrong on so many levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

To say creationism is being taught in schools is a straight-up lie. Pupils may read Bible stories but that's a far cry from rejecting evolution.

• Advertisement

Try telling a child of 6 that god created earth and that's a fact. Then say the great flood, adam and eve, angels, the devil are just stories to convey a message. That's a very hard concept for children. It's subjective and depends on the teacher, one will say its fact and another will mock it because they have no belief at all.

I had a read of that article and its the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. It makes no sense at all. If poor people migrate to the same area then they will attend the local school, it doesn't matter what the patron of the school is. Unless its a Muslim or Jew that is there and then the catholic church will put them to the bottom of the list, probably not getting in and ending up travelling to the next school. If the schools did not discriminate on religious grounds this would not happen. We need to get the church out of the schools. Note I say the church, and not religion necessarily. That article is just so wrong on so many levels.
    It's easy to dismiss something you don't understand. As long as you have patrons you have segregation. Taking education away from religious institutions and replace it with Gaelic schools will only increase it. and if you think there is no segregation then you should better read this:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/census-figures-raise-concerns-of-ethnic-segregation-in-schools-1.2114559
    80% of immigrants are in 23% of schools. As it happens share of immigrant children in my local ET is over 50%, in my son's school couple minutes away is 2%.

Think that just taking schools away from church is enough is naive and frankly stupid. What they are doing is a half baked solution so they won't need to reform the system properly. Is it any wonder that so few schools were defeated. If you are a parent of a kid who is in a school designated to become ET would you be happy with a prospect of 50% of kids in his class being immigrants?

To say creationism is being taught in schools is a straight-up lie. Pupils may read Bible stories but that's a far cry from rejecting evolution.

I have yet to hear a teacher say that the universe was created 10,000 yr's ago and science is a lie, the teaching of "creationism" is much more subtle, but its there, because of religious indoctrination. Told through stories.

Kids see stories as facts. The are impressionable and believe what they are told, until they come home and there was some balance put on the subject.

My kids were told that God created the earth, they were taught the 10 commandments which I think in general are good as they align with basic morals. They were also taught that cooling water will create ice. These were all taught through stories.

They asked me about the commandment, that it was a mortal sin to worship other gods, they asked were all other religious people that worship other Gods going to hell. As in her hindu friend ?? yep shes going to hell. Beacuse god created the earth, hell and he makes the rules and is never forgiving.

It's easy to dismiss something you don't understand. As long as you have patrons you have segregation. Taking education away from religious institutions and replace it with Gaelic schools will only increase it. and if you think there is no segregation then you should better read this:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/census-figures-raise-concerns-of-ethnic-segregation-in-schools-1.2114559
    80% of immigrants are in 23% of schools. As it happens share of immigrant children in my local ET is over 50%, in my son's school couple minutes away is 2%.

Think that just taking schools away from church is enough is naive and frankly stupid. What they are doing is a half baked solution so they won't need to reform the system properly. Is it any wonder that so few schools were defeated. If you are a parent of a kid who is in a school designated to become ET would you be happy with a prospect of 50% of kids in his class being immigrants?

Its about putting schools under the full control of the state. I don't think allowing the church refuse children admission because they are immigrants is a good thing--do you ? because you seem to suggest thats whats happening ? and also that immigrants are some sort of lesser person ? what is it about immigrants ? you must be a practising catholic ?

I do agree once there are patrons there will be segregation, the church at the moment has a patronage and a monopoly. You seem to suggest that all schools will be given to Irish speaking schools, eh what ? maybe the Govt. will look at the demand for Gaelic schools and supply the demand, rather than keeping 90% of schools in a rigid catholic ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think we may actually finally agree on something :P

Interesting article here on the patronage system and the way Educate Together are as weasel worded about their ethos as any other organisation involved in the patronage system in Irish schools -

Educate Together multi-denominational schools don’t relieve Irish State of UN Human Rights Committee duty to secular education
    7. The duty of the Irish State to provide secular education

Two of the UN Human Rights Committee’s questions about education, when taken together, go to the heart of the problem and its best solution.

How does the Delegation explain the compatibility with the Covenant of a state of affairs that allows private schools, which have a near monopoly in Ireland on a vital public service, to openly discriminate in admission policies between children on the basis of their parents’ religious convictions?

Is [the Irish State] considering a significant rise in the number of schools transferred to public hands?

Ultimately, the core problem with the Irish education system is that the State provides ‘for’ education, instead of simply providing education. Ultimately, the patronage system itself must be changed, and the State must provide education directly.

As well as respecting human rights, this would also be good for society. As the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Education recently concluded:

Multiple patronage and ethos as a basis for policy can lead to segregation and inequality in the education system. The objectives of admission policy should be equality and integration.

Until we have this in place, the minimum requirements are that we comply with our human rights obligations. The UN Human Rights Committee has just encapsulated some of these:

“The Human Rights Committee is concerned about the slow progress in increasing access to secular education through the establishment of non-denominational schools, divestment of the patronage of schools and the phasing out of integrated religious curricula in schools accommodating minority faith or non-faith children.

Ireland should introduce legislation to prohibit discrimination in access to schools on the grounds of religion, belief or other status, and ensure that there are diverse school types and curriculum options available throughout the State party to meet the needs of minority faith or non-faith children.”

The Irish State should immediately implement these requirements, recognising that they are minimum standards to be built on, and not maximum suggestions to be revised downwards.

This is why they are keen to drop the words "multi-denominational education" from their ethos, in favour of the phrase "equality based education". Some Principals in ET schools have their own ideas some students being more equal than others, and seem to value "freedom of speech" over equality and respect for all religions and none -

Limerick school apologises for Charlie Hebdo in classroom

The management of a Limerick school has apologised to a Muslim pupil, who took offence when a copy of the controversial French magazine Charlie Hebdo was produced in his classroom.

However chairman of the multi-denominational Limerick School Project Richard Allen, said it was an “unfortunate incident” and said apologies for any offence caused were made to the boy and his mother.

He said it was another pupil in the class who brought the copy of Charlie Hebdo in while they were having a discussion about the French Revolution and freedom of speech.

Mr Allen said they “respect all religions and none” in the school would ever “set out to cause offence to anybody”.

Nonetheless, he said the school believes in the right to freedom of speech, though at the same time it recognises that responsibilities come with this freedom.

So he apologises for the incident, then shifts responsibility for the incident onto one of the children, then mentions some nonsense about the school believing in the right to freedom of speech. Desperate attempt to cover his own arse, and simply proves that even if they change the wording of their ethos from "multi-denominational" to "equality based", they're still going to come up short and still do not meet the requirements of a non-denominational, secular ethos.

Its about putting schools under the full control of the state. I don't think allowing the church refuse children admission because they are immigrants is a good thing--do you ? because you seem to suggest thats whats happening ? and also that immigrants are some sort of lesser person ? what is it about immigrants ? you must be a practising catholic ?

I do agree once there are patrons there will be segregation, the church at the moment has a patronage and a monopoly. You seem to suggest that all schools will be given to Irish speaking schools, eh what ? maybe the Govt. will look at the demand for Gaelic schools and supply the demand, rather than keeping 90% of schools in a rigid catholic ethos.

No I am suggesting that segregation is happening because different models are offered. Et or Irish language patronage is still a patronage. At the moment ET takes the most immigrants and Irish schools basically none. They are catering for mostly one social demographic and keeping "undesirables" out. An if you divest some catholic schools and make the remaining more Catholic you are just making sure that kids will be separated even more.

Oh btw I am atheist immigrant which was perfectly clear from my previous posts. So the idea that I am against immigrants is a bit moronic. However anyone with two brain cells knows that teaching classes with large amounts of different nationalities that often don't speak the language will be harder and there should be more equal spread to benefit all.

Gerry I don't think that's what meeeeh was suggesting at all. I think the point they were making is that for many immigrants, english is not their first language, and this presents an issue not just for these children themselves, but also for the other students in the class and for their teachers who have to spend more class time with these students where learning support classes mean that these students are taken out of the class and provided with english language classes. I don't see what that has to do with being a practicing catholic tbh. It's a valid observation and a worry for many parents who are worried that their own children are not getting the education they feel their children need.

I don't think meeeeh was suggesting either that all schools would be divested to Gaelscoileanna but they are just as much involved in the provision of education in return for State funding as Educate Together or the RC. The reason why 90% of the schools are still under the patronage of the RC, and why the majority of schools will remain under the patronage of the RC, is because the Govt. is indeed looking at the demand before they supply, and finding that there isn't sufficient demand to divest many of the religious ethos schools in Ireland because that is not what many of the parents want.

Meanwhile as robindch observed earlier, both the Govt, and the RC can continue to blame each other for the current situation because they both know that neither is under all that much pressure from people who ultimately hold the power to effect change. People here have claimed that the current situation is a reflection of the fact that we do not live in a modern republican democracy, but that is the essence of a modern liberal republican democracy - ultimately the power is with the people to change the situation.

No I am suggesting that segregation is happening because different models are offered. Et or Irish language patronage is still a patronage. At the moment ET takes the most immigrants and Irish schools basically none. They are catering for mostly one social demographic and keeping "undesirables" out. An if you divest some catholic schools and make the remaining more Catholic you are just making sure that kids will be separated even more.

I agree about the Gaelic schools. All primary schools should be open to all, not based on any belief system so all schools will have hopefully a fair percentage of immigrants, poor, rich etc...so like the religion argument, schools should be all taught through English.
    If people then want a child to be fluent in any language or follow a faith then they can go pay for it themselves.
    Just because the suggested change is not perfect doesn't mean we should not change. Better that we change, then refine that system and again. That's better that standing still

Gerry I don't think that's what meeeeh was suggesting at all. I think the point they were making is that for many immigrants, english is not their first language, and this presents an issue not just for these children themselves, but also for the other students in the class and for their teachers who have to spend more class time with these students where learning support classes mean that these students are taken out of the class and provided with english language classes. I don't see what that has to do with being a practicing catholic tbh. It's a valid observation and a worry for many parents who are worried that their own children are not getting the education they feel their children need.

Fair point, and honestly I wouldn't send my kids to a school with that issue. But if there are more schools an immigrant can send their kids to then this problem will be less of an issue. Removing a restriction that you have to be catholic will help. But it's never going to be resolved. This is probably a different thread in the making.
    I don't think meeeeh was suggesting either that all schools would be divested to Gaelscoileanna but they are just as much involved in the provision of education in return for State funding as Educate Together or the RC. The reason why 90% of the schools are still under the patronage of the RC, and why the majority of schools will remain under the patronage of the RC, is because the Govt. is indeed looking at the demand before they supply, and finding that there isn't sufficient demand to divest many of the religious ethos schools in Ireland because that is not what many of the parents want.
    That's the debate, there doesn't seem to be the demand because people do raise their kids as "catholics" but the key reason for some is getting into a school. Like in the UK people move postal districts to get into a school, that doesn't mean they love a particular area, does it ? In fairness the carry on of the church over the decades and with each decade more revelations. They don't come across to me as guardians of moral and educational ideals.
    Meanwhile as robindch observed earlier, both the Govt, and the RC can continue to blame each other for the current situation because they both know that neither is under all that much pressure from people who ultimately hold the power to effect change. People here have claimed that the current situation is a reflection of the fact that we do not live in a modern republican democracy, but that is the essence of a modern liberal republican democracy - ultimately the power is with the people to change the situation.
    The power is with the people and it is changing, but change is slow, with time the church will be removed from management of schools. The church itself has admitted this is the right direction to move toward, but I don't believe a word of what they say. Once there is money involved the church will never give it up - I can't see the church handing BACK buildings and land. I say BACK because it was you and me and our parents that paid for all the land and buildings the church has.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I call BS on this, I work in a Gaelscoil and we have plenty new Irish students. ETs do not have the monopoly, no matter what you think.Undesirables?? I think you need to stop listening to media hype. We do not refuse children on nationality or faith. Plenty Catholic schools have huge quantities of international students too.

• Advertisement

Fair point, and honestly I wouldn't send my kids to a school with that issue. But if there are more schools an immigrant can send their kids to then this problem will be less of an issue. Removing a restriction that you have to be catholic will help. But it's never going to be resolved. This is probably a different thread in the making.

For many immigrants the restriction that they have to be catholic isn't an issue, simply because many of them are catholic, and for those that aren't, well, I know it's only anecdotal but the Catholic ethos school my child attends doesn't use the religious criteria as an entry requirement. The school Principal is actually very progressive in that regard, which was one of the criteria which I used to determine whether I would place my child in that particular school or not. For other schools, one of the determining criteria considered, and far more of an issue when schools are over-subscribed, is that they have a brother or sister already attending the school (this criteria is being done away with though in upcoming legislation). Another more contentious criterion that has been done away with is consideration whether the child has special educational needs, and like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the jury is still out on whether it is beneficial to those children to be integrated in mainstream schools.

My point is, that for far more people than not, religious instruction just isn't that much of a deterrent for them in relation to their child's overall education.

That's the debate, there doesn't seem to be the demand because people do raise their kids as "catholics" but the key reason for some is getting into a school. Like in the UK people move postal districts to get into a school, that doesn't mean they love a particular area, does it ? In fairness the carry on of the church over the decades and with each decade more revelations. They don't come across to me as guardians of moral and educational ideals.

I would suggest that the demand simply isn't there because more people care about traditional education than they do indoctrination, and like it or not, by default, religious ethos schools overall provide a better academic education than non-traditional or multi-denominational ethos schools. Now I know you mentioned that Creationism is taught as fact in religious ethos schools, but there's "creationism", and then there's Creationism -

Texas Public Schools Are Teaching Creationism

Map: Publicly Funded Schools That Are Allowed to Teach Creationism.

The power is with the people and it is changing, but change is slow, with time the church will be removed from management of schools. The church itself has admitted this is the right direction to move toward, but I don't believe a word of what they say. Once there is money involved the church will never give it up - I can't see the church handing BACK buildings and land. I say BACK because it was you and me and our parents that paid for all the land and buildings the church has.

And if there is no money involved? Because there isn't, not any more anyway, nor is there the power involved any more that they once had. Some bishops are even making statements that, dare I say it, may even be considered... progressive -

Raise Confirmation age to 16, says Bishop of Limerick

Children are currently confirmed at 12 years old while in sixth class in primary school.

But Bishop Brendan Leahy has suggested it could take place while children are in Transition Year and be more parish-based with a project element carried out in schools.

The bishop's idea would entail a massive shake-up of religious education at both primary and second level.

In a major address to launch Catholic Schools Week in the diocese of Limerick last night, Bishop Leahy asked if 12-year-olds are really aware of what is going on when they are confirmed. He suggested they might be "floating" into Confirmation rather than "opting" to be confirmed.

Speaking at the Woodlands Hotel in Adare, Dr Leahy said it is important in Ireland that "we re-awaken students to the fact that being a Catholic is an option".

I can't see them handing back buildings either tbh, certainly not unless the price is right, and that's a problem for Government because the Government can't keep up the cost of repairs and building new schools, while at the same time trying to find the money to fund the purchase of properties off the Church. FWIW though, I don't particularly care whether the Church holds on to what properties it has as they are old and decrepit at this stage and are in no way fit for purpose.

The other option is to raise the money for the provision of new schools through increased taxes. The other countries mentioned in this thread already have no problem with this, they see it as an investment in the next generation, but that wouldn't work here in Ireland where we're very much a country of "every man for himself and fcuk everyone else - if it doesn't affect me, I don't care". That's not a move towards liberalism, that's just selfish laziness. If it costs us nothing, we don't care, but if you expect people to be ok with being asked to pay more tax to educate someone else's children, you'll very quickly find out just how many people in this country care about "our children".

About 33% seems about right, and that's even being generous, because only 58% of those actually voted in favour of the proposal in the Children's referendum -
    The Thirty-first Amendment of the Constitution is an amendment to the Constitution of Ireland, relating to children's rights and the right and duty of the state to take child protection measures. It was effected by the Thirty-First Amendment of the Constitution (Children) Act 2012 (previously Bill No.78 of 2012). The bill was passed by both Houses of the Oireachtas (parliament) on 10 October 2012, and approved at a referendum on 10 November 2012, by 58% of voters on a turnout of 33.5%. Its enactment was then delayed by a High Court case challenging the conduct of the referendum. The High Court's rejection of the challenge was confirmed by the Supreme Court on 24 April 2015. It was signed into law by the President on 28 April 2015.

The problem here isn't the Government, it's not even the Church. The problem here is that the vast majority of people don't care enough to actually want to make an effort to change the situation as it's too inconvenient for them even to try, and they have every excuse not to try when you ask them. That's what frustrates me personally more than anything the Church or the State has done in this country. Both the State and the Church were allowed get away with what they did because people had every excuse rather than try and stop them.

Advertisement