Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Story Mickey Harte?

Options
  • 09-08-2015 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

Mickey Harte, I actually always liked him but he cannot condone the cheating that went on yesterday.

That said, Tyrone were much the better team but didnt need to resort to cheating here at the end.

What are peoples thoughts? Does he actually condone this stuff or, worse still, is this part of his match strategy?

Genuine question, I wouldnt have thought it but i am starting to wonder.

Let's hope the GAA listen to O Rourke, Whelan, Brolly etc and charge Tiernan McCann with bringing the game into disrepute and give him a ban.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Of course he condones it. If he was against cynical tactics and theatrics, he would have stamped it out years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Nice guys finish last - being competant in black arts is a must if you have serious hopes of an All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

dixiefly wrote: »
    Mickey Harte, I actually always liked him but he cannot condone the cheating that went on yesterday.

That said, Tyrone were much the better team but didnt need to resort to cheating here at the end.

What are peoples thoughts? Does he actually condone this stuff or, worse still, is this part of his match strategy?

Genuine question, I wouldnt have thought it but i am starting to wonder.

Let's hope the GAA listen to O Rourke, Whelan, Brolly etc and charge Tiernan McCann with bringing the game into disrepute and give him a ban.

I see where you are coming from but have to disagree with the ban. Why no uproar when Michael Shields took a horrendous dive a few weeks back?
    Diving needs to be stamped out but it has to be a decision made at the start of thr year and not a reaction to the disgraceful actions of a player late in the season.
    If McCann gets the book thrown at him then I'd count him unlucky.
    I'd be asking serious questions of Marty Duffy - a disaster of a ref who was standing 10 feet away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nice guys finish last - being competant in black arts is a must if you have serious hopes of an All-Ireland.

Absolutely, it was always said that Mayo were too nice on the pitch, they've changed that over the years and if it delivers an AI then I can't see anyone apologising for it.

As for the thread, daftness of the highest order. If your at it then your as well to bring in another bucket load of managers over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

yop wrote: »
    Absolutely, it was always said that Mayo were too nice on the pitch, they've changed that over the years and if it delivers an AI then I can't see anyone apologising for it.

As for the thread, daftness of the highest order. If your at it then your as well to bring in another bucket load of managers over the years.

True. Excellent points on both instances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

jjdonegal wrote: »
    I'd be asking serious questions of Marty Duffy - a disaster of a ref who was standing 10 feet away.

True. If he saw it, he should see it was only rustling the other lad's hair.
    If he didn't see it, he can't give a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Well, you do have a point and I suppose I started it in utter frustration after watching a rerun of the game again,.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dixiefly wrote: »
    Well, you do have a point and I suppose I started it in utter frustration after watching a rerun of the game again,.

Ah ya I didn't mean to sound like a deekhead about it, and yes watching that game was shocking. We had a few kids with us and in the end I was tempted to just take them away from the game as it was no show piece for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Ah ya I didn't mean to sound like a deekhead about it, and yes watching that game was shocking. We had a few kids with us and in the end I was tempted to just take them away from the game as it was no show piece for the game.

There was a woman sellling 'Tyrone Blindfolds' for a fiver down Jones Road, you should have bought a few.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There was a woman sellling 'Tyrone Blindfolds' for a fiver down Jones Road, you should have bought a few.

She was selling as a spin off from 50 Shades of Grey! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Sure, but the thread is not about all those other managers, it's about Mickey Harte and Tyrone. Yes other teams are guilty of the black arts from time to time but Tyrone have been at this sort of cynical stuff for years and even when they had a great team in 03-08 era they were at it then too.

So it's reasonable to suggest that Mickey Harte, for all that he seems a nice guy, condones this nonsense, since his Tyrone teams have been one of the worst offenders throughout his management tenure.

All in all it was an ugly spectacle as football match, and thankfully Mayo and Donegal produced something more resembling a decent game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

True. If he saw it, he should see it was only rustling the other lad's hair.
    If he didn't see it, he can't give a red card.

I thought the red card was to do with the Tyrone lad who was panned out on the ground and not for the attempted hair cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

There's no way Harte encourages the darker side of Tyrone's play. It looks like something players do off the cuff. Not a chance of McCann getting suspended, why should he be singled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

There's no way Harte encourages the darker side of Tyrone's play. It looks like something players do off the cuff. Not a chance of McCann getting suspended, why should he be singled out?

;) sure thing mate- it's not like its been a persistent problem throughout his tenure and is now added to by the fact that some of his selectors seem to be getting involved too. Sure isn't Mickey a lovely, innocent oul soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was there only one team playing?

There's no way Harte encourages the darker side of Tyrone's play.

I think the opposite, I think the fact that it has happened constantly during his tenure, and you can now see the spread to their underage and club teams, shows that it's not just some spontaneous acts on the part of players but part of a system with Harte at the centre of it. It's worked, I'm just not sure that it's necessary at all, the team of the 00s were excellent and he should have trusted their ability to create more than he trusted their ability to destroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Nice guy me hole, bit like Saint Sean Boylan the patron saint of healing and niceness who also sold everone a pup.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Sure, but the thread is not about all those other managers, it's about Mickey Harte and Tyrone. Yes other teams are guilty of the black arts from time to time but Tyrone have been at this sort of cynical stuff for years and even when they had a great team in 03-08 era they were at it then too.

So it's reasonable to suggest that Mickey Harte, for all that he seems a nice guy, condones this nonsense, since his Tyrone teams have been one of the worst offenders throughout his management tenure.

All in all it was an ugly spectacle as football match, and thankfully Mayo and Donegal produced something more resembling a decent game of football.

Back in the 80's when the Dublin had Duff,Rock and Mullins and co they were as every bit as bad as Tyrone, there wasn't any call for Heffos head with regards this and as for the 1983 final, that will go down as one of the most shameful games played in Croker.
    Then you call in Sean Boylan, reined over a Meath team with "hard" men, again causing havoc in many games.

So while Harte has to take the blame here, this isn't a new thing, just that players and fans to a lesser extent are more precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Every successful team has a touch of the dark side in them, but Tyrone are consistently involved in the most niggly games and have a large amount of the most blatant parts of cynical fouls. They are the worst offenders in the country and the only explanation is that it is a deliberate tactic. It puts a stain over them more than any other county in my eyes but it is not their fault they get away with it. The GAA should sort out some way of addressing the worst instances of gamemanship, but it should be done over the winter, not as a kneejerk reaction to the weekend.

Also, we need to stop the whataboutery and the criticising people for pointing out cheating. McCann taking a tumble because someone gave his hair a fumble is not justified by other example. It was wrong, it was cheating, end of.

Back in the 80's when the Dublin had Duff,Rock and Mullins and co they were as every bit as bad as Tyrone, there wasn't any call for Heffos head with regards this and as for the 1983 final, that will go down as one of the most shameful games played in Croker.
    Then you call in Sean Boylan, reined over a Meath team with "hard" men, again causing havoc in many games.

True, Meath were very hard.

But not sure they had a reputation for spitting, diving, cheating, or taunting based on the death of a player's father, as Tyrone have earned.

Maybe it's a male macho thing, but think people will nearly tolerate thuggery and violence more than the sneaky and snide. Which to be fair might not make sense, after all no one every broke a bone when spat at or someone makes jokes about their dead father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Nice guy me hole, bit like Saint Sean Boylan the patron saint of healing and niceness who also sold everone a pup.

I laughed at his whinging when his charges came up against some real hard men in the international rules a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

But not sure they had a reputation for spitting, diving, cheating, or taunting based on the death of a player's father, as Tyrone have earned.

Maybe it's a male macho thing, but think people will nearly tolerate thuggery and violence more than the sneaky and snide. Which to be fair might not make sense, after all no one every broke a bone when spat at or someone makes jokes about their dead father.

Apparently similar things were said in those Meath vs Cork games in the late eighties. Sledging isn't new. Think there was still some animosity between the players involved in those matches until Meath players went to John Kerins' funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Is there anything off limits so? My god you have me blown away if the death of a loved one is brought to the table in an attempt to win. Sickening. And don't think I'm naive enough to not think that sledging doesn't exist as I've seen and heard plenty of it in my time but never to that level. Disgusting and should be named and shamed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I think Mickey Harte is a really nice guy and I have great admiration for him, he is vocal about social issues (conservative), his family also had to endure the most appalling tragedy which you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy. Kerry fans even stayed back in 2012 to applaud him after the sides last met. His teams footballing style however is absolutely horrible and it is a very unfortunate thing to besmirch such an honourable man, it really is a disgrace the way his players behave. I wouldn't hold him wholly responsible however, it is part of the footballing culture in Tyrone and we saw an awful brawl before involving Derrytresk and Mickey Harte had no part in that.

http://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/derrytresk-players-went-for-testicles-before-game-even-started/31495

I think it part of larger problem in Tyrone society (perhaps even related to the Troubles in Northern Ireland) and I have noticed that in all my games attended Tyrone supporters have been the most confrontational and have a largish minority hardcore of undesirables which only bring shame on the vast majority of Tyrone supporters who are absolutely salt of the earth nicest people you could meet. Their is still unfortunately that element with a confrontational attitude who go to games baying for blood and seem only at their happiest when there is fighting on the field. It is something bigger than the GAA and part of their culture in Tyrone wherby they are often on edge and wheras people from other counties would be far more restrained Tyrone it seems is always about to bring a riot with them win lose or draw.

This maybe a controversial opinion by me but I think what we see on the field of play is directly related to life off the field in Tyrone. Tyrone and Donegal also both have big problems with drivers in both counties, ask any driver in Ireland and they will tell you those two counties have alot of anti-social drivers and boyracer culture. There is a reckless attitude up there where certain people have a siege mentality and there answer when they feel threatened is to be confrontational and deliver all manner of threats being along the border they have adopted an el-dorado wild west type mentality.

I think that's generalising to say the least. I'm from Tyrone as you know and I've never had any bother here. It's a sleepy enough part of the country and generally people who visit Healy Park have had nothing but good to say about their experience. Wouldn't say it's any better or any worse than anywhere else in Ireland really. People are people. It's funny how people stereotype counties/groups/whatever - for example, apparently Fermanagh people are realllllly nice and I've met my fair share of pricks from there.

Don't agree with the comment about the troubles, most young people couldn't give a stuff about that kinda thing. Have you been in Tyrone? It doesn't exactly have a reputation for being a dive or full of crime or whatever.

Not sure what happened you at a match but I think it'd be a small, small minority of people who'd bother someone like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

So while Harte has to take the blame here, this isn't a new thing, just that players and fans to a lesser extent are more precious.

The difference with some teams today is the pure slyness of some of the antics.

I'd prefer seeing players getting absolutely creeled by an opponent than diving or feigning injury, slowing up play etc.At least a bit of rough and tumble can sometimes ad to the spectacle the stuff we saw on saturday takes away from the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Tyrone do have an issue with this behaviour, the U21 game against tipp saw some awful carry on.
    Sat saw some dreadful stuff from Tyrone players.
    Nobody likes a cheater and this Tyrone team are full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

A bit rich from Colm O Rourke to be castigating Tyrone's dark arts. He was a member of a Meath team well known for their 'take no prisoners' attitude. He hates Tyrone with a passion because they have hurt his pocket and will again.
    No doubt Kerry will roll out the propaganda wagon in the next few weeks as they did for Alan O Connor after the draw in Killarney. Oh my God, this O Connor beast from Kaelkil will kill someone soon if referrees don't stop him. Every single one of them from Bomber to Micko to Darra to O Cinnéide, to Jacko, to Quirke spent the week blackening that decent man.
    It started today on C103 with Palmer quoting O Rourke as a paragon of decency having a go at Tyrone last night on the Sunday Game. He then went on to tell us that Kerry would have 31 counties supporting them against Tyrone. What a complete gob sh1te he is.
    Meyler was sent off in the wrong yesterday but no use telling that to people who are jealous of Tyrone. One would think that Monaghan were docile lambs and Tyrone were awful brutes if one didn't know better.
    Kerry people have some neck to critisise McCann for diving when their own peacekeeper O Mahony was a disgrace in 2008 after a tap on the cheek from Donnca O Connor. I didn't hear O Rourke calling for him to be banned for bringing the game into disrepute.
    The only lad bringing the game into disrepute yesterday was Duffy the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

QuinDixie wrote: »
    Tyrone do have an issue with this behaviour, the U21 game against tipp saw some awful carry on.

I didn't see any Tyrone player deliberately stamp on a Tipp player lying on the ground. People conveniently forget these things and love to blacken Tyrone. They give what they get and fair play to them. They were hammered for long enough bu the big boys. Not no more TG

• Advertisement

QuinDixie wrote: »

What actually happened in the U21 game that was so bad? Pinpoint incidents because I don't get what Tyrone did so wrong in that match. Yesterday's match descended into farce in the last 5-10 minutes (a la Kerry vs Mayo last year, Dublin vs Mayo in 2013). but the U21 match wasn't particularly cynical, unless I missed something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement