Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Story Mickey Harte?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

aveytare wrote: »
    What actually happened in the U21 game that was so bad? Pinpoint incidents because I don't get what Tyrone did so wrong in that match. Yesterday's match descended into farce in the last 5-10 minutes (a la Kerry vs Mayo last year, Dublin vs Mayo in 2013). but the U21 match wasn't particularly cynical, unless I missed something.

the tipp management would not let the tyrone management into the dressing room after the game. Tyrone players were running their mouths off the whole game, and the last 10 minutes saw some of the most cynical play you will ever see.
    But how players conduct themselves says a lot about a county in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

QuinDixie wrote: »
    the tipp management would not let the tyrone management into the dressing room after the game. Tyrone players were running their mouths off the whole game, and the last 10 minutes saw some of the most cynical play you will ever see.
    But how players conduct themselves says a lot about a county in general.

The last 10 minutes weren't particularly cynical. It's bollocks basically. Yesterday's match was cynical in the last 10 minutes, the U21 final wasn't. Never heard so much complaining about a match that wasnt even that dirty. In fact the worst incident was a Tipp player stamping on Cathal McShane. I think half the people who bring up the U21 match didn't actually watch it (not suggesting you didn't). Most Tipperary fans didn't even complain that much.

Says a lot about a county in general, Jesus Christ. It's like Stinicker's rant earlier where he psychoanalysed Tyrone people despite probably never being in the county.

The last 10 minutes weren't particularly cynical. It's bollocks basically. Yesterday's match was cynical in the last 10 minutes, the U21 final wasn't. Never heard so much complaining about a match that wasnt even that dirty. In fact the worst incident was a Tipp player stamping on Cathal McShane.

Says a lot about a county in general, Jesus Christ.

But it does, you play without dignity and you will never be let live it down.
    Ryan McMenamin step forward.:)

But it does, you play without dignity and you will never be let live it down.

Oh no

Oh no

oh yes. Colm O rourke was right to let them have it last night.
    Cheaters, the whole squad including management.
    That famous goal for Meath against Louth, highest level of cheating.
    That dive from the tyrone boy, highest level of cheating.
    Some supporters, who are cheaters themselves, dont care about this and have a winning is everything mentality.
    Fair enough for you, its not for me.

• Advertisement

oh yes. Colm O rourke was right to let them have it last night.
    Cheaters, the whole squad including management.
    That famous goal for Meath against Louth, highest level of cheating.
    That dive from the tyrone boy, highest level of cheating.
    Some supporters, who are cheaters themselves, dont care about this and have a winning is everything mentality.
    Fair enough for you, its not for me.

The supporters are cheaters as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Sure, but the thread is not about all those other managers, it's about Mickey Harte and Tyrone. Yes other teams are guilty of the black arts from time to time but Tyrone have been at this sort of cynical stuff for years and even when they had a great team in 03-08 era they were at it then too.

So it's reasonable to suggest that Mickey Harte, for all that he seems a nice guy, condones this nonsense, since his Tyrone teams have been one of the worst offenders throughout his management tenure.

All in all it was an ugly spectacle as football match, and thankfully Mayo and Donegal produced something more resembling a decent game of football.

This type of carry on is typical of the Tyrone team over the past few years. I presume that Mickey Harte must condone this behaviour and clearly has instilled a 'win at all costs' mindframe into his panel of players. The black card is Mickey Harte's legacy on the game which is a terrible shame considering the terrific side he managed earlier in his management career.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Get used to it folks, the cheating has started and it's here to stay.

You really think they can stop it?

It's win at all costs, and players and managers, and fans, want to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

NIMAN wrote: »
    Get used to it folks, the cheating has started and it's here to stay.

You really think they can stop it?

It's win at all costs

It can be stopped if the GAA handed out severe punishments every time it happens, although that's highly unlikely to happen.

Paul Finlay and Tiernan McCann both should be suspended for the rest of the year but the GAA will as usual do nothing and then wonder why the players behaviour on the field doesn't improve.

The supporters are cheaters as well?

Be honest, no REAL tyrone supporter enjoyed last Sat. due to the diving and cynicism.
    There is many a Clare fan who wants Davy fitzgerald gone for his sideline behaviour, and he managed them in 2013 to an All Ireland.
    Pride in your county and your Jersey comes before winning at all costs for true GAA supporters.
    The fair weather supporters dont care how their county win, only they win and the beers flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

Be honest, no REAL tyrone supporter enjoyed last Sat. due to the diving and cynicism.
    There is many a Clare fan who wants Davy fitzgerald gone for his sideline behaviour, and he managed them in 2013 to an All Ireland.
    Pride in your county and your Jersey comes before winning at all costs for true GAA supporters.
    The fair weather supporters dont care how their county win, only they win and the beers flow.

you must be from mayo. be nice and win nothing.

I am not, but its better than being hated and still winning nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

A lot of counties wouldn't mind making five semi-finals in a row, along with five Connacht titles and the longest running Division 1 status. You could have picked a different county to have a go at it, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

In terms of "cynicism/dirtyness/dark arts/dirty tricks" Tyrone of the Mickey Harte era are by far the worst offenders. They're not the most physically "dirty" because by and large theyre one of the smaller teams, but they make up for it with the sneaky, Knackery behaviour.
    Just a selection of examples
    Gooch bitten 03, Gooch eye gouged 05, McGuigan tripping Greg McCartan 04, Philip Jordan getting Marsden sent off 03, the antics on Saturday, the antics in Ballybofey, slagging a minor about his dead father, McMenamin spitting on Kerry players in a league match, the spitting etc in those junior club matches against the Kerry teams, Cavanaghs years of diving, the rugby tackle on McManus, Brian McGuigan getting blindsided by his own county man in a challenge match sustaining an eye injury so bad the surgeon compared it to people who had been beaten with baseball bats.
    Thats just a sample count btw.

All the other top teams( and I would consider Monaghan to be the next worst offender, hence lack of sympathy for them, particularly the Hughes brothers!) have been guilty of various similar offences over the years but the total of the rest put together still wouldnt equal Tyrones list of misdemeanours.

What actually sickened me most this year was the sanctimonious whinging all overthe airwaves from Saint Sean and St Peter about the bad language theyve had to listen to from other teams and Peter using his newspaper column to have another whinge about Meath 96 the day Tyrone played Meath.

Apologies for repeat post but theres about 4 threads on same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

yop wrote: »
    Ah ya I didn't mean to sound like a deekhead about it, and yes watching that game was shocking. We had a few kids with us and in the end I was tempted to just take them away from the game as it was no show piece for the game.

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

lads would ye get over yourselves,there s plenty of other teams at this stuff every game and always was,tyrone are no different to Kerry or any other successful teams out there because in the big games its all about inchs but the reality is if you are not good enough this carry on wont win it on its own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I enjoyed the match, loved it. Of course the niggly incidents were unfortunate, but sometimes you have to get mean if you want to win. I'd rather have a bit of nastiness in a team and win, than a team of boy scouts that only get so far before being bullied out of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have some manners, going by previous posts and warnings you don't, but at least get the facts right.

I enjoyed the match, loved it. Of course the niggly incidents were unfortunate, but sometimes you have to get mean if you want to win. I'd rather have a bit of nastiness in a team and win, than a team of boy scouts that only get so far before being bullied out of it.

There is one thing having a physically tough team. I love that in gaelic football.
    Manly football. what Tyrone do is not play manly, they are cowards.
    Diving, verbal abuse, trying to get players carded .
    all counties have isolated incidents of cheating, and that should see lengthy bans, but Tyrone football uses cheating as a tactic.
    And its no wonder that tyrone players get very little acknowledgement or respect for those 3 all irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

There is one thing having a physically tough team. I love that in gaelic football.
    all counties have isolated incidents of cheating, and that should see lengthy bans, but Tyrone football uses cheating as a tactic.
    And its no wonder that tyrone players get very little acknowledgement or respect for those 3 all irelands.

What part of Kerry are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Peter Canavan, Sean Cavanagh, Brian McGuigan, Stephen O'Neill, Phillip Jordan, Brian Dooher, Conor Gormley?

I'd say those lads are respected enough by their peers as great footballers.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Peter Canavan, Sean Cavanagh, Brian McGuigan, Stephen O'Neill, Phillip Jordan, Brian Dooher, Conor Gormley?

Fantastic footballers.

Shame to see them on a team that just punched and kicked its way to titles.

It's a bit like Tom Brady in the NFL. I mean, one of the greatest...but there will always be that little cloud over all the success, the footnote about the cheating and spying and tampering with equipment and so on. And just like the Pats...they were so good it just seems unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

True, Meath were very hard.

But not sure they had a reputation for spitting, diving, cheating, or taunting based on the death of a player's father, as Tyrone have earned.

From what I heard they taunted based on the death of a player's mother.
    Oh and they were good at the old eye poking as well.

The problem is the GAA have turned a blind eye (sorry for the pun) for too long to indiscipline.
    All we have ever heard trotted out is that "shure isn't a man's game".
    Hell someone above mentioned the "manly" game.
    Shure how can you take the physical component out of it.

It was never just a physical challenge or a man's game when someone gave a sneaky blindside elbow and broke someones jaw.
    I can think of at least one lauded all ireland winner and all star to have done that.
    It was never a man's game when someone gave a blindside slap of a hurley across the head to an opponent.
    It was never a mans game when you had another All Ireland all star player infamous for ball grabbing.
    It was never a mans game when you had a guy lamping another one with a punch before the ball was even thrown in.

Harte is right to a degree.
    Is it much worse to take a dive than to hit a player when they are down ?

It is actually ironic he should mention that when one of his now retired players tried to knee a player in the throat while on the ground.

Tyrone and some others are just taking some very cynical ideas from other sports and introducing them into GAA land.
    For a while now a lot of teams cynically shut out a game and being honest if it meant Mayo winning All Ireland I would agree with David Brady that it should be done.
    Would it be right ?
    Not really, but if everyone else would do it, then why not.

We now have a bunch of Rivaldo, Roben wantabees throwing themselves about trying and usually succeeding in conning referees.

It needs to be stamped out, but screaming about just diving whilst ignoring all the other shyte that goes on is disengenous and myopic.

Fantastic footballers.

Shame to see them on a team that just punched and kicked its way to titles.

Did they really? 2008 in particular was fairly uneventful in that regard - Kerry had more disciplinary issues that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

jmayo wrote: »
    From what I heard they taunted based on the death of a player's mother.
    Oh and they were good at the old eye poking as well.

"From what I heard".........what utter garbage. Either give some facts or shut up.

I have heard repeated rumours about comments made to a Meath player about a close family members death but I am not going to give details because it was also something i heard.

Regarding the eye gouging, who did it and who did he do it to? Them being "very good" as you say then it must have been multiple times and you must have reason believe these facts about the multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why do Mayo supporters vent so much against Tyrone?

mfceiling wrote: »

Tyrone won 3 All Irelands in the last decade, and they have never received credit or respect for those wins.
    3 All Irelands, what an achievement, yet When people and pundits talk of 2000s they talk about Mayo, Kerry, Armagh, Dublin etc.
    those 3 wins for tyrone are glossed over, like they never happened.
    why? No one likes a cheater nor a destroyer.

Tyrone won 3 All Irelands in the last decade, and they have never received credit or respect for those wins.
    3 All Irelands, what an achievement, yet When people and pundits talk of 2000s they talk about Mayo, Kerry, Armagh, Dublin etc.
    those 3 wins for tyrone are glossed over, like they never happened.

Complete and utter nonsense. I think you're confusing "people and pundits" for yourself. Do you actually believe what you just wrote? Even guys like Brolly and Spillane (eventually) hailed Tyrone's noughties team. There's a topic on here at the moment about the best players in each position of the last 15 years and plenty are picking guys like Jordan, Cavanagh, Dooher and Canavan. You really think the 2005 and 2008 finals were forgotten about? Is Canavan's goal against Kerry still on the Sunday Game introduction? Was on it last year anyway. Mulligan's against Dublin was on it a few years ago too.

Complete and utter nonsense. I think you're confusing "people and pundits" for yourself. Do you actually believe what you just wrote? Even guys like Brolly and Spillane (eventually) hailed Tyrone's noughties team. There's a topic on here at the moment about the best players in each position of the last 15 years and plenty are picking guys like Jordan, Cavanagh, Dooher and Canavan. You really think the 2005 and 2008 finals were forgotten about? Is Canavan's goal against Kerry still on the Sunday Game introduction? Was on it last year anyway. Mulligan's against Dublin was on it a few years ago too.

Dooher, delusions of grandeur. Tyrone's wins are always downplayed.
    The media nearly broke their necks to say Kerry were the team of the noughties. thats life, Tyrone have their 3 wins, but the price they have paid is their dignity.
    Armagh of 2002 will always be held in higher esteem. By your posts I know deep down you feel it too.

• Advertisement

Dooher, delusions of grandeur. Tyrone's wins are always downplayed.
    The media nearly broke their necks to say Kerry were the team of the noughties. thats life, Tyrone have their 3 wins, but the price they have paid is their dignity.
    Armagh of 2002 will always be held in higher esteem. By your posts I know deep down you feel it too.

You're a dose with delusions of grandeur yourself. Kevin McStay and Joe Brolly, there's two high-profile folk in the media who thought Tyrone were the 'Team of the decade' (stupid title anyway). McGeeney considers that Tyrone side the best team of the last 30 years (I don't agree personally). Colm O'Rourke considers Harte one of the best managers of all-time. So there you go.

How about another response where you say "nah you're wrong nobody remembers that Tyrone team, I know this somehow."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement