Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Mayo v Donegal, Saturday 6pm *NO STREAMS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think Donegal were tactically beaten today, it was always going to be a game of attacking not defending, goals were going to happen, and having committed so many men back Donegal had no attacking threat really.

If you're going to play it defensively at least double mark Mayo's forwards infront of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Michael Murphy grabs mayo guy by the neck, player reacts, Mayo red card and miss next game) - nothing for Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Gob****e Gough. Awful decision. Murphy should have got a 2nd yellow in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭corny

Murphy true to form. Hits the lad two inches lower gets away with it. Something coldly cynical with that fella i've always disliked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

How did Murphy not get a yellow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Michael Murphy grabs mayo guy by the neck, player reacts, Mayo red card and miss next game) - nothing for Murphy.

Seems harsh alright but it was dumb by Keane. No Christmas cards for Murph from the Keane household.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

wp_rathead wrote: »
    How did Murphy not get a yellow?

Who got sent off? Left the pub at 69 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Murphy should have been booked, but that was idiotic from Keane! So stupid to lash out no matter what's done to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Murphy should have been booked, but that was idiotic from Keane! So stupid to lash out no matter what's done to you.

Lash out me arse. If that is a full striking, then, I'm a Dutchman:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

don't worry the GAA will overturn the red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Some of Mayo's finishing was worrying, CO'C doesn't look sharp at all

But overall a comfortable win
    Great goal by Aidan O'Shea

Any/all hands to the face/head are straight reds. Maybe the rule doesn't extend down as far as the neck. I think the only people with the right to complain today about refereeing would be Monaghan re: Tiernan McCanns hairdo incident

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Rightwing wrote: »
    If Mayo beat them, it'sbecause Mayo are better than them.

Exactly!

"caught out"

Yeah, good lad :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Gap bween the top 3 and the rest is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Let's be honest, he won't play v Dub. The commentator was trying to make it out as a massive loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would still fancy Dublin in the semi but Mayo have a great equaliser in A O'Shea. Always a chance of just lumping a ball in his general direction and he can go and win it, throw defenders off him and bury it in the net.

don't worry the GAA will overturn the red

Yup and then appoint another Meath ref to truly stick the knife in against the Dubs. At least it keeps Meath relevant in the latter stages of the championship i guess :)

timmyntc wrote: »
    Any/all hands to the face/head are straight reds. Maybe the rule doesn't extend down as far as the neck. I think the only people with the right to complain today about refereeing would be Monaghan re: Tiernan McCanns hairdo incident

Murphy grabbed player by neck - he's already being booked, yet he doesn't get a second yellow.

Murphy grabbed player by neck - he's already being booked, yet he doesn't get a second yellow.

Keane shouldnt have reacted. The game was won. Silly behaviour and now it has cost him, regardless of Murphy's punishment

Its a stupid rule though. The cold, calculating manner in which Murphy tried and succeeded in provoking a reaction is a far more deplorable act imo.

70 mins gone the only thing he was achieving was preventing Keane from playing in the semi.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Its a stupid rule though. The cold, calculating manner in which Murphy tried and succeeded in provoking a reaction is a far more deplorable act imo.

70 mins gone the only thing he was achieving was preventing Keane from playing in the semi.

I agree, all these events should be taken in context instead of applying one general rule to all unique situations. However that is how the GAA see's fit to run the sport. You don't like it, complain to them.

Not trying to justify Murphy's actions, but I doubt he went with the intention of preventing Keane from playing in the semi. He probably lashed out the same way Keane did (and shouldn't have, especially since Keane had nothing to be riled up about given his team had already won essentially.) These situations happen in the GAA all the time, tensions and emotions will boil over, and it's up to the other players involved to keep their discipline and not give a reaction. Keane didn't have the proper discipline and lashed out at Murphy in response in what could be considered an even worse offence than Murphys and he was punished for it.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Yup and then appoint another Meath ref to truly stick the knife in against the Dubs. At least it keeps Meath relevant in the latter stages of the championship i guess :)

Don't worry, our David will get the AI final, Mayo/Kerry :) best ref in the country

was that Marty's commentary in the preview of the Waterford Kilkenny semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Lash out me arse. If that is a full striking, then, I'm a Dutchman:rolleyes:

I agree. Murphy didn't make anything of it. But he still swung at him however light.

Strike or attempt to strike.

Very silly, though it didn't harm anyone.

I agree, all these events should be taken in context instead of applying one general rule to all unique situations. However that is how the GAA see's fit to run the sport. You don't like it, complain to them.

Not trying to justify Murphy's actions, but I doubt he went with the intention of preventing Keane from playing in the semi. He probably lashed out the same way Keane did (and shouldn't have, especially since Keane had nothing to be riled up about given his team had already won essentially.) These situations happen in the GAA all the time, tensions and emotions will boil over, and it's up to the other players involved to keep their discipline and not give a reaction. Keane didn't have the proper discipline and lashed out at Murphy in response in what could be considered an even worse offence than Murphys and he was punished for it.

So what was his intention of grabbing him by the neck when the ball was dead and time was up - taking out his frustration and hoping for a reaction - when the reaction came - he started pointing at the umpires highlighting the incident.

So what was his intention of grabbing him by the neck when the ball was dead and time was up - taking out his frustration and hoping for a reaction - when the reaction came - he started pointing at the umpires highlighting the incident.

Agreed. A man lost in the altercation would immediately grab Keane not drop it and run to the umpire.

Poor Keane was had and the rules completely justify it. Not right.

Id say he just wanted to hit someone or push someone, sure dont we all when tensions run high and your frustration comes to a front.
    Not everyone is in on this big conspiracy to make Mayo lose the All Ireland you know, most players aren't criminal masterminds trying to get players disqualified for future games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Donegal at least know now where they stand. There has been an awful lot of talk about how fantastic they are this year by deluded posters who couldnt see the signs.

Mayo were fanstastic today. However, they took their foot off the gas. They had finished off Donegal 10 minutes into the second half. For that Donegal should be thankful as it could have been a right thumping if they had seen the game out clinically. The scoreboard in no way displays Mayo's dominance today.

Mayo vs Dublin semi will be a right hummdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In the first game a Tyrone player (McNamee) was caught punching a Monaghan player (McManus), gets a yellow card

But I still find it hard to have sympathy for Keane, he knows the rules, the referee is entitled to apply them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 stove

Completely neutral here but surely this has to be Mayo's year. They seem to have learned from the hard lessons dished out to them in the past from donegal and kerry last year.

Have to admire the way they play the game too mixing the short with the long - always willing to have a cut. Tough but fair and have learned to be cynical when needed.

Advertisement