Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

buffalo wrote: »
    It'll be a long time. Using a phone on a bicycle isn't illegal, and FPNs were only introduced to cover current offences rather than creating new ones.

They probably should've put it on the leaflet along with the helmet, hi-viz and red spoke reflectors.

I'm guessing, using a phone on a bicycle, could be be covered by no. 2:
    Driving a pedal cycle, without reasonable consideration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Supposed enforcement doesn't seem to have had much impact on behaviour of drivers.

If a cyclist gets caught it would be pretty embarrassing for the guard to have the offender point out the drivers going by on their phones while the FPN is being written up!
    Why would that be, an officer can only deal with people offending sequentially, and as like you'd then be charged with obstructing him from handing you the fpn or some such thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Supposed enforcement doesn't seem to have had much impact on behaviour of drivers.

Yes and no. I remember when Seamus Brennan introduced penalty points in the teeth of opposition from the Garda etc.

There was a transformation in driver behaviour across the country for about a.month. The public took the change on board and reacted much as they dd for the smoking ban.

Then, ever so slowly, reality started to sink in - the "garda" were playing their tried and trusted "blue flu" tactic - also known as "show me the money Seamus" or "no money - no PULSE".

So everyone switched back to business as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I live in smallish town. It's always very busy with traffic. till 7ish. I can't believe how many times on my particular routes I used to briefly hop up the footpath to let traffic past from behind. At certain traffic light junctions and particularity narrow sports. It feels totally silly I can't do that now and I've only noticed to what extent I used to do it because I'm not doing it now. I feel uncomfortable holding the traffic up , that's why I used to do it in the first place. Cars used to beep their horn when I did that, out of gratitude of course. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You can still hop up onto the path.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tony EH wrote: »
    You can still hop up onto the path.
    That was and remains illegal - you risk being dragged to court for that one though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hold them all up, those drivers will soon realise their folly and join you by finally using their bike to work bike on the daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You are not holding anybody up, no more than the traffic lights are, or a truck/bus is.

They may not be getting to go as quickly as they would like, but that is different. You are part of the traffic, hence you are not holding the traffic up.

Drivers need to change their current attitude which seems to regard cyclists as a nuisance impeding on their roads and getting in the way of traffic. Cyclists are a part, and a growing part, of the traffic and drivers need to consider them as such.

Beasty wrote: »
    That was and remains illegal - you risk being dragged to court for that one though

If the choice is dangerous drivers passing within an inch of me or hopping up onto the path for a few seconds, the latter will win every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

So yesterday I'm cycling home by my usual route, up the north quays, around by connolly station and on up Amien st..come to a set of pedestrian lights, not a soul there nor a car, 3 cycles zoom past me while I wait like a good little cyclist obeying the new rules..one of them looking back at me like I'm the gobsh*te waiting at a light with no people crossing. Made it worse they then ended up getting the green light after and me getting the red each time!! grrr

Makes me wonder, who is the fool me or them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

If the choice is dangerous drivers passing within an inch of me or hopping up onto the path for a few seconds, the latter will win every time.

or you could just learn to cycle more assertively and legally, which would really be best for everyone

The problem, quite often, has nothing to do with the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

jon1981 wrote: »
    So yesterday I'm cycling home by my usual route, up the north quays, around by connolly station and on up Amien st..come to a set of pedestrian lights, not a soul there nor a car, 3 cycles zoom past me while I wait like a good little cyclist obeying the new rules..one of them looking back at me like I'm the gobsh*te waiting at a light with no people crossing. Made it worse they then ended up getting the green light after and me getting the red each time!! grrr

Makes me wonder, who is the fool me or them?

Them - they will either get a fine eventually or end up getting tangled in an accident of their own making at some point. The idea of the new FPNs is to reinforce better behaviour, which I'm all in favour of (as a cyclist), these clowns just think they are above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You are not holding anybody up, no more than the traffic lights are, or a truck/bus is.
    Whilst I wholeheartly agree with taking your lane and driving defensively, and I'm sure in an urban setting as described there is no issue. However, I'm not sure a blanket "cyclists aren't holding up traffic, they are traffic" applies in all circumstances. Tractor drivers have been done for driving without reasonable consideration for causing massive tailbacks, when they are also traffic - this is also one of the offences under cycling fixed penalty notices?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Them - they will either get a fine eventually or end up getting tangled in an accident of their own making at some point. The idea of the new FPNs is to reinforce better behaviour, which I'm all in favour of (as a cyclist), these clowns just think they are above the law.

While, Rolling through a pedestrian light, when there is no on crossing is illegal, i would not call it bad behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Whilst I wholeheartly agree with taking your lane and driving defensively, and I'm sure in an urban setting as described there is no issue. However, I'm not sure a blanket "cyclists aren't holding up traffic, they are traffic" applies in all circumstances. Tractor drivers have been done for driving without reasonable consideration for causing massive tailbacks, when they are also traffic - this is also one of the offences under cycling fixed penalty notices?

But what do you want the cyclist to do? Of course cycling three a breast is taking the mickey, but although we hear of stories I know on most club spins etc the group is well controlled with a view to minimising, in as much as possible, three a breast etc.

If, in a rural , or even urban setting, if a car is being held up by a single rider then it is the fault of the road planners and not the fault of the cyclist.

I take the approach that I try to accommodate other road users, but not in any way putting myself out. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that I'm not going to stop of move dangerously close to the edge simply to let them past. I am following the rules as laid down and therefore have as much right as they do. Of course I'm going slower than them, I don't have an engine doing the work for me. However, I am hardly blocking the whole road, so given a small bit of time, if the road is not badly designed, then an oppurtunity will arise that a safe pass can occur.

It is merely a lack of patience on their part that leads to many of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The problem, quite often, has nothing to do with the cyclist.

When you choose to cycle on the footpath the problem is always and entirely with the cyclist.

Footpath cyclists are despicable and I'm certain for the majority their own personal convenience is a far greater motive than their safety. "The bad motorist made me do it" is just a handy excuse for their own bad behaviour and I'm not buying it.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    When you choose to cycle on the footpath the problem is always and entirely with the cyclist.

Footpath cyclists are despicable and I'm certain for the majority their own personal convenience is a far greater motive than their safety. "The bad motorist made me do it" is just a handy excuse for their own bad behaviour and I'm not buying it.

Again, if the choice between getting clipped by a feckin ejit in a car speeding by you, dangerously, on a dodgy road and hopping onto a path for a few metres is no choice at all.

As a case in point, on my trip to work this morning, a taxi in front of me suddenly decided that he was going to do a U-turn on the St. Circular and pulled into the cycle right in front of me in order to pull right into his illegal U-turn.

I had to mount the path to avoid smacking into the back of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Again, if the choice between getting clipped by a feckin ejit in a car speeding by you, dangerously, on a dodgy road and hopping onto a path for a few metres is no choice at all.

As a case in point, on my trip to work this morning, a taxi in front of me suddenly decided that he was going to do a U-turn on the St. Circular and pulled into the cycle right in front of me in order to pull right into his illegal U-turn.

I had to mount the path to avoid smacking into the back of him.

Slightly different senario to the heedless idiots who sail along footpaths oblivious to people who may be stepping out of a shop door for example.

You'd no choice but to bunnyhop onto the path to avoid an accident. I'm sure you didn't stay there for the rest of your journey (?)

I'm not talking about people flying down footpaths bashing into people.

My response was to:
    I live in smallish town. It's always very busy with traffic. till 7ish. I can't believe how many times on my particular routes I used to briefly hop up the footpath to let traffic past from behind. At certain traffic light junctions and particularity narrow sports. It feels totally silly I can't do that now and I've only noticed to what extent I used to do it because I'm not doing it now. I feel uncomfortable holding the traffic up , that's why I used to do it in the first place. Cars used to beep their horn when I did that, out of gratitude of course. Oh well.

At times hopping onto the footpath is safer for the cyclist and is a far better scenario than risking being struck by some gobshite in a car that doesn't give a fuk.

I've been cycling the streets of Dublin for decades and there have been numerous occasions where I've had to hop up onto a footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've been cycling the streets of Dublin for decades and there have been numerous occasions where I've hadchosen to hop up onto a footpath, and reinforce the perception that cyclists don't belong on the road

FYP? Have you ever ever contacted the local council or roads department about the sections that you feel are dangerous? Or the Gardaí about dangerous behaviour?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

7600km in the last year and a half through Dublin city centre, no trouble, never had to jump onto a path. Must be luck I guess...

It must be.

Your mileage may vary, as the Yanks say.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I'm with you on this to an extent, I do the same on rural roads with grass in the middle of them, but in the city it's a bit pointless because traffic is slow anyway, I'm not a well seasoned urban cyclist so I still feel a bit of a dick if i've built up a line of cars behind me, but at the same time know there's shag all progress they'll make if they pass me

Since I was let loose on my own on the country roads at the tender age of around 11 i've been moving in for cars that come up behind me, I just cycle through the reveal of a gate, and in the time i've done that a car will have passed me, on roads like that people could be caught behind you for miles on end. I know i'm entitled to do otherwise, but I don't feel the need to

I went downhilling in Morzine and when you're coming down the roads at some scary speeds cars will actually pull in to the right to leave you pass, it's an awesome feeling knowing that another person on the road acknowledges you're faster than them and allows you to bomb on through. Not really relevant but put in to avoid someone saying you don't see cars getting out the way of bikes, why should bikes get out the way of cars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Not really, since Gardai are exempt from most if not all of the Road Traffic Act in the pursuit of their duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cython wrote: »
    Not really, since Gardai are exempt from most if not all of the Road Traffic Act in the pursuit of their duties.

Not all.
    Gardai are not exempt from dangerous driving, careless driving, driving without due care and attention, drunk driving etc. And while they would be exempt from the offence of cycling on the footpath, they might be liable to driving without consideration. In the case, where there are no pedestrians on the footpath, I don't imagine, there is any offence.

Not a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Look, we all know the Guards can do whatever they like in pursuit of their duties. The pursuit bit doesn't mean chasing down a bad guy, it can just mean patrolling around.

I can't see any problem with this pair rolling down the footpath. I wouldn't be bothered if I was walking on the path there either. They are on bikes. Small agile vehicles going very slowly.

I saw a pair of Cycle-Guards roll through a red and take a turn onto Jervis St from a side street earlier on today. Didn't see any issue there either. They took the turn with care and consideration for other road users and pedestrians, they just happened to do it with a red lamp in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Having said that, I did nearly get run over by a guard in a car on the way to the Spar who ran a red and swung across my path. Didn't think that was too smart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

cython wrote: »

I passed an unoccupied Garda car parked on the double yellow lines opposite the Criminal Courts last night. The driver was inside the nearby chipper. I presume eating is part of their duties?

Advertisement