Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    Given the experience with motorist FPNs, it is reasonable to anticipate compliance problems with non residents. And given the widespread misbehaviour seen with Dublin Bike users in general, it is clear that special disciplinery measures may be warranted for them.

Can you back that up with any injury figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The FPNs are only four days in and it already happened. I got honked at by a motorist while stopped at the red light.

Possible explanatations: he only sees lights that suit him, he doesn't know how filter arrows work, his desire for cyclists to obey lights depends mostly on how convenient for him it is.

Luckily the crisis was averted by him changing lanes and passing me on the inside like he should have done in the first place.

With regard to Grand Canal Square, whatever about putting the Dublin Bike stand there, putting the Shared Use sign is the main culprit as far as creating the impression it is a shared use area as far as I'm concerned.
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZrJqM

I'd assume it doesn't. Wouldn't you?

He who stays silent is taken to agree

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qui_tacet_consentire_videtur#qui_tacet_consentire_videtur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Can you back that up with any injury figures?
    Since when do good manners and civil behaviour have to be justified by injury statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Danbo! wrote: »
    They are there every morning to enforce the bus corridor, getting private cars to turn around as they are not allowed to continue around to Westmoreland Street at certain times.

Anyway, light em up boys..

I see two people breaking the law in the first picture, with equal menace to public safety. It seems only one of them was booked....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

snailsong wrote: »
    I see two people breaking the law in the first picture, with equal menace to public safety. It seems only one of them was booked....

Does the woman not have the green light if the cars have the red?!

In Fairvew this evening , two gardai in a car driving slowly by and stared at a cyclist stopped just past the red light, they seemed confused as to whether or not he had broken the light.. they decided to move on after about 10 seconds of observation... Probably waiting for him to cycle and then pounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Illegal pink jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

jon1981 wrote: »
    Does the woman not have the green light if the cars have the red?!
    The guy in the centre of the picture is jaywalking within 15m of a pedestrian crossing.

The guy in the centre of the picture is jaywalking within 15m of a pedestrian crossing.

Is that illegal?

Edit: it seems we do have a law that states within 50m. Though not enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Regardless of the 50m to a crossing point there was no danger or inconvenience caused except to the RLJ, maybe you feel that the pedestrian shouldn't have crossed because of the RLJ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

roverrules wrote: »
    Regardless of the 50m to a crossing point there was no danger or inconvenience caused except to the RLJ, maybe you feel that the pedestrian shouldn't have crossed because of the RLJ?

Is it 50 meters? First found in a search SI is 58 of 1959 which says 50 feet which is circa 15 meters

Since when do good manners and civil behaviour have to be justified by injury statistics?

Neither manners nor civility are matters for Fixed Penalty Notices. Both concepts are also highly subjective and culture specific.

You are the one calling for "special disciplinary measures" on what grounds that are relevant to public safety?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not post photos of alleged illegal activity here

Any questions PM me - do not respond in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

jon1981 wrote: »
    Is that illegal?

Edit: it seems we do have a law that states within 50m. Though not enforced.

Yes, jaywalking near a crossing. Always thought that was illegal but apologies if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Neither manners nor civility are matters for Fixed Penalty Notices. Both concepts are also highly subjective and culture specific.
    You are the one calling for "special disciplinary measures" on what grounds that are relevant to public safety?
    It's a matter of public order. The concepts have been codified and are not at all subjective or 'cultural'.

It's a matter of public order. The concepts have been codified and are not at all subjective or 'cultural'.

With regret, rubbish. Traffic law is about traffic management and public safety so why don't you provide traffic management or public safety arguments to support your calls for special disciplinary measures?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think we'd have to disagree on that so. I wouldn't expect them to be issuing statements on relatively minor issues like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Some commentary about the level of enforcement of the fixed penalties - in this evening's rush hour from a building overlooking O'Connell Bridge I was able to witness some very easy pickings for two cycle cops, policing, respectively, the south quays outbound and Westmoreland Street northbound, each standing in hi-viz the far side of the junction.

Whatever people's views might be on the seriousness of red light jumping on a bike, if the offenders couldn't see the fuzz in hi viz, they probably weren't paying much heed to pedestrians on the crossings they whizzed through either.

Either way, looks like the penalties are certainly happening...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hmmm since Saturday I have been along the canal to Portobello and Crumlin, repeatedly up and down the N11 (ugh), the Rock Road, out to Dun Laoghaire, up to Stoneybatter, through town several times and I have seen….not one single Garda. Not one. Maybe I'm just lucky?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    not one single Garda. Not one. Maybe I'm just lucky?
    Lucky? Have you been doing things they could have issued FPNs for?

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Beasty wrote: »
    Lucky? Have you been doing things they could have issued FPNs for?

:pac:

I'm a legal lady your honour!

With all the talk about it I expected to see at least one though. I feel a bit left out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

gadetra wrote: »
    ….not one single Garda. Not one...

Saw one today on Clarandon Row - he cycled out onto South King Street through/past the no entry sign. Two pedestrians apologised for getting in his way as he slowly barged left and proceeded east towards Stephens Green (afaik when open to traffic Sth King Street it is one way westbound). Not satisfied with that he diverted off the "roadway" onto the footpath along in front of the Gaiety...
    A fine example of civic minded law enforcement officer!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is it only a matter of time before FPNs are handed out for cycling while on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

bazermc wrote: »
    Is it only a matter of time before FPNs are handed out for cycling while on the phone?

Hopefully, as with penalty points with cars I am sure more will be introduced over time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume it will be covered under the last one, if you clearly are acting stupid, the phone will give the Garda enough to clarify if you decide to protest to a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume it will be covered under the last one, if you clearly are acting stupid, the phone will give the Garda enough to clarify if you decide to protest to a judge.

Supposed enforcement doesn't seem to have had much impact on behaviour of drivers.

If a cyclist gets caught it would be pretty embarrassing for the guard to have the offender point out the drivers going by on their phones while the FPN is being written up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Supposed enforcement doesn't seem to have had much impact on behaviour of drivers.

If a cyclist gets caught it would be pretty embarrassing for the guard to have the offender point out the drivers going by on their phones while the FPN is being written up!

Yeah, and all the crimes, that are being committed at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

It'll be a long time. Using a phone on a bicycle isn't illegal, and FPNs were only introduced to cover current offences rather than creating new ones.

They probably should've put it on the leaflet along with the helmet, hi-viz and red spoke reflectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Paschal Donoghue did say they would fine people for phone use under the "unreasonable behaviour" offence. I'm not sure this is actually possible though.

Advertisement