Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Unshaved legs
    Whoa!!

FPNs for not shaving your legs??? Better make sure I carry plenty of cash with me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

Ha, thats me in the picture! The light was actually yellow I ran through. The Gardai were sound, it more of a laugh.

Ps I hate matching gear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Beasty wrote: »
    Whoa!!

FPNs for not shaving your legs??? Better make sure I carry plenty of cash with me:mad:

€40 for every mm of stubble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Beasty wrote: »
    Whoa!!

Stick it to "The Man" - wear tights all year round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

One for the cyclist-haters - funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ireland could learn a lot from the Parisians!

Sounds just like Dublin etc....!!
    Parisian drivers can be rude and aggressive behind the wheel. They sound their horns loudly and gratuitously. They stop willy-nilly on busy roads to run errands or do a bit of shopping
    Most aggravatingly, Parisians are appalling signallers. They turn without advance warning - or to add insult to injury, they start to indicate as they turn. That is like a V-sign to the cyclist. It shows the driver knows about the indicator, but could not care less what it is for.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ireland could learn a lot from the Parisians!

Sounds just like Dublin etc....!!
    Parisian drivers can be rude and aggressive behind the wheel. They sound their horns loudly and gratuitously. They stop willy-nilly on busy roads to run errands or do a bit of shopping
    Most aggravatingly, Parisians are appalling signallers. They turn without advance warning - or to add insult to injury, they start to indicate as they turn. That is like a V-sign to the cyclist. It shows the driver knows about the indicator, but could not care less what it is for.

LINK

Waitaminute, you mean every car in Paris is a taxi?!?

I've known the "turn-signal-don't bother looking" manoeuvre as a 'taxi-man turn' forever.

It's almost as if they are saving the bulbs for a special occasion, or that they have removed the 'indicators' and inserted 'doers' which only light up when you are doing a turn and not a minute sooner. It's not like I can tell which way you are going by looking at your head movement either, because you don't look around anyway!

I saw a new variation this morning. Taxi was waiting at lights ahead of me indicating *left*. I decided to hang back to see what would happen as it seemed suspicious to me. Sure enough, as soon as the lights turned, the taxi started turning *right*, then flicked over to the right indicator, and continued on his merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I cycle regularly and see this every day - really needs to be stopped!
    <snip>
    these 2 clowns break all the reds they encounter that I see them at, proceed to argue with a bus driver at a later stage (I am assuming he is in the right because of previous bad cycling then immediately afterward they make an illegal right turn over Samuel Becket bridge for which there is no right turn)

bad juju.<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

00sully wrote: »
    I cycle regularly and see this every day - really needs to be stopped!

<snip>
    these 2 clowns break all the reds they encounter that I see them at, proceed to argue with a bus driver at a later stage (I am assuming he is in the right because of previous bad cycling then immediately afterward they make an illegal right turn over Samuel Becket bridge for which there is no right turn)

bad juju.<snip>

Ah it could be worse, they could've cycled on the hatched area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

00sully wrote: »
    ...then immediately afterward they make an illegal right turn over Samuel Becket bridge for which there is no right turn)....
    AFAIK there are only three ways to travel onto and " over Samuel Beckett bridge" - two of which are right turns:
    • heading East on Custom House Quay - turn right
    • heading West on Sir John Rodgersons Quay - turn right
    The third is continue straight South from Guild Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Has anyone a link to the wording about red bike lights?
    Any I've seen are at the far side of a junction, with no stop line this side of the junction, so, if they are like normal traffic lights I can just cycle off the cycle lane onto the road and go.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4283474,-6.2303701,3a,75y,129.51h,86.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfsDy0scy85Y-wFa4ZRNGJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.317128,-6.3318637,3a,75y,109.98h,80.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk51grYhPcZYCj4j9QDtRuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    AFAIK there are only three ways to travel onto and " over Samuel Beckett bridge" - two of which are right turns:
    • heading East on Custom House Quay - turn right
    • heading West on Sir John Rodgersons Quay - turn right
    The third is continue straight South from Guild Street.

apologies, it was the Talbot Memorial Bridge at custom house quay which is an illegal right, Samuel Becket is where they should have went to :o

or alternatively dismounted at Sean O'Casey Bridge but no cyclist every does that despite the clear signage - quite dangerous there actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have been to several presentations by behavioural psychologists / behavioural economists in past few years where the presenters have all claimed that Irish people conform to a trait of high degrees of abiding to the law.
    Hence the success of the smoking ban, high compliance with tax payment etc.
    This morning I noticed that at several junctions that hoards (maybe 20) cyclists waiting patiently at the red lights. Not one cyclist broke the light even though there was ample opportunity.

Honestly have not encountered this level of compliance by cyclists previously. I am going to make an effort to monitor this.
    I wonder are FPNs already changing the behaviour of cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have been to several presentations by behavioural psychologists / behavioural economists in past few years where the presenters have all claimed that Irish people conform to a trait of high degrees of abiding to the law.
    Hence the success of the smoking ban, high compliance with tax payment etc.
    This morning I noticed that at several junctions that hoards (maybe 20) cyclists waiting patiently at the red lights. Not one cyclist broke the light even though there was ample opportunity.

Honestly have not encountered this level of compliance by cyclists previously. I am going to make an effort to monitor this.
    I wonder are FPNs already changing the behaviour of cyclists.

I think its more of a case of many Irish people obeying the law in instances where they are more likely to get caught. Cute Hoor syndrome if you will.

For example, the speed camera vans. Apparently we have far lower levels of speeding than previously thought by analysts and the gardai, in fact , far lower than was implied before the speed vans came into effect.

Somehow though, I still get overtaken while driving near or on the limit, regularly, in fact by about 85% of cars that come into view but on roads where there is a speed van, I tend to just have a trail of cars behind me until we get past where the van is typically located at which point the dangerous overtaking starts.

The last few days on the bike, the only change I have seen are a few more people stopping to look around, it appears to me that the people who stopped before, still stop, those who were cautious before are now super cautious (but not enough to not run the light) and those who didn't give a sh1t, still don't give a sh1t. To be fair, if it takes a bit of risk out of that middle group, then its not too bad.

This said, statistically, there was little risk there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

The clown that flew through the red light from the Phoenix Park on to Coyningham Road between another cyclist and myself would beg to differ, as would the Dublin Bike moron who pulled out onto the quays in front of me while the light was green still for me and all the other traffic coming behind/alongside me. I can't say I've noticed any significant improvement, to be honest, still plenty of people breaking the aforementioned red exiting the Park (despite being beside the courts, ironically), as well as the pedestrian lights through College Green and onto Nassau Street.

As mentioned some people might be a little more cautious, but having them more alert to the presence of Gardai, as opposed to just cycling with cop on is hardly the reasoning behind FCN regime either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I met the same red light jumper on my commute in and out of D1 from Bray today. Completely idiotic stuff. I must have ended up passing him 15 times. The sooner someone like him gets pinged the better. Did a strava flyby and there he is lauding his quick commute times as being due to "less traffic". The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

I cycle daily from D16 to D1 and I would estimate between 40 and 60% of cyclists are still breaking the lights. Some of the light breaking is dangerous to other road users (never mind the cyclist themselves) or it increases the risk of causing an accident.
    I have not seen any Gardai enforce the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Some of the light breaking is dangerous to other road users (never mind the cyclist themselves) or it increases the risk of causing an accident.
    I have not seen any Gardai enforce the new rules.

Would you estimate the percentage that is a) dangerous to other road users
    b) increases the risk of an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

CramCycle wrote: »
    More likely a requirement as part of their road closure order. It's a 10 second walk when you dismount. Even when the road is open you get cyclists on the footpad.

It is nice that the radio cars that are normally illegally parked and obstructing traffic can't for a few days. Once asked the campers why they don't clamp them and they said they are one of the few companies with a window watcher who is quick enough to get out to the cars when they drive in.

Very pleasantly surprised to see that the builders barriers had been moved in to allow enough space on the road for cyclists (and maybe more relevantly, motorcyclists). Of course the other end had a quite puzzling "Cyclists Dismount" sign next to it but perhaps this is just a general statement akin to "Get off the road" shouted out a car window.

Would you estimate the percentage that is a) dangerous to other road users

I don't want to quote percentages, maybe I can give examples of what I mean:

a) dangerous to other road users
    Where cyclists break the lights, I've seen multiple examples of near miss collisions with pedestrians or other cyclists (travelling in other direction)

I've also seen motorists having to take corrective action to avoid hitting cyclists breaking the lights. This can lead to another road user having to take evasive action and thus increases the risk of an accident.

Behaviour a) is definitely of the higher occurrence in my experience.

• Advertisement

I don't want to quote percentages, maybe I can give examples of what I mean:

a) dangerous to other road users
    Where cyclists break the lights, I've seen multiple examples of near miss collisions with pedestrians or other cyclists (travelling in other direction)

I've also seen motorists having to take corrective action to avoid hitting cyclists breaking the lights. This can lead to another road user having to take evasive action and thus increases the risk of an accident.

Behaviour a) is definitely of the higher occurrence in my experience.

should have seen the number of near misses I had on the walk to get a sandwich this lunchtime. Dozens of them! Pedestrians passing me within inches.

survived all the same.

should have seen the number of near misses I had on the walk to get a sandwich this lunchtime. Dozens of them! Pedestrians passing me within inches.

survived all the same.

Whilst I appreciate your witty comment, nonetheless it is a serious point. And while most near misses are just that, the continuing high level of rule breaking by cyclists contributes to cyclists in general having a bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In the grand scheme of things it still remains a very minor irritation and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tony EH wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things it still remains a very minor irritation and nothing more.
    +1, most red light breaking, by pedestrians or cyclists is pretty benign. Imagine the traffic lights were broken and the person was doing the same thing, in many cases nobody would probably bat an eyelid or think it was unsafe. There is a reason lots of places just legally treat them as yeild signs, the same reason many sensible gardai ignore it -the act was not what the law really set out to prevent happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

the continuing high level of rule breaking by cyclists contributes to cyclists in general having a bad rep.

Bull. The level of rule breaking by cyclists is at the same level as all road users (possibly even less).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

It's far far higher.
    You'd have to be wearing serious blinkers to think otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's far far higher.

You'd have to be completely unobservant to think that cyclists are far higher in terms of law breaking, number wise or percentage wise.

Sit at any junction or any road, count how many cyclists break the rules and how many motorists break the rules. Many motorists on the N11 manage to break multiples at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

It's far far higher.

Or just not looking beyond the end of your nose to think that it's higher. It just happens that the laws broken by a certain section of cyclists are a lot more visible, e.g. red light breaking. Balance that against the numbers of motorists breaking speed limits, failing to stop before the stop line, failing to indicate, failure to drive in the leftmost lane, overtaking on the left on a motorway, driving in bus lanes, running red (and indeed amber) lights, and any myriad of other offences, and you'll quickly find that cyclists are unfairly scapegoated by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's far far higher.

Pedestrians are by far the worst road users for breaking laws -by a huge margin. Yet it would be very rare to hear someone comment "the continuing high level of rule breaking by pedestrians contributes to pedestrians in general having a bad rep."

I have seen some people here concerned about bad cyclists giving themselves a "bad name", I don't get this, to me it is just humans getting a bad rep. I have never once saw a pedestrian doing something crazy and thought to myself "oh no, look at that prick giving us a bad name".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Wow, easy horses. :)
    I'd say sitting at a junction (where it's not a danger to themselves) that 80% of cyclists break the red light. I'd say at most 50% are lit up to a reasonable level when it gets dark.
    I agree car drivers break a multitude of laws reasonably regularly but not to the same extent (a) because it's more dangerous (b) they get the ROR beat into them for licence (c) Guards are far more likely to react to them.

Advertisement