Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

irish_goat wrote: »
    Brewdog now "actively hunting" for a Dublin location.

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/cross-border-traffic

I could only be more excited if it was Cork. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brewdog now "actively hunting" for a Dublin location.

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/cross-border-traffic

Staff in Leeds claimed that was the case last November. I suspect their usual venue size (small) coupled with the value of a licence here (far too high) could make it rather hard.

I did actually suggest Cork as somewhere that might (I don't know the market for pubs there...) be cheaper and would still have a decent audience. However, I doubt a barman is going to be taking notes for HQ off a random Irish lad who's trying to try every tap in the bar in the two hours before closing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

L1011 wrote: »
    Staff in Leeds claimed that was the case last November. I suspect their usual venue size (small) coupled with the value of a licence here (far too high) could make it rather hard.

I did actually suggest Cork as somewhere that might (I don't know the market for pubs there...) be cheaper and would still have a decent audience. However, I doubt a barman is going to be taking notes for HQ off a random Irish lad who's trying to try every tap in the bar in the two hours before closing!

Yeah, Dublin has been mentioned in passing a good few times, although this is the first time it's been put down officially.

They have an email you can send potential bar locations to and they offer £1,000 if they go for it. Might work slightly better than bending a bartender's ear. :P

Yeah, Dublin has been mentioned in passing a good few times, although this is the first time it's been put down officially.

They have an email you can send potential bar locations to and they offer £1,000 if they go for it. Might work slightly better than bending a bartender's ear. :P

I think they'd want more than "Cork would work well, its full of hipsters and students and stuff..." to give me grand. Unfortunately!

Leeds pub is a great venue, but like most of them, sodding tiny.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If they do open here I hope the pub is better than the Edinburgh one. It's the most uncomfortable pub I've ever been in, so bad in fact that we left after one drink.

• Advertisement

I found the Edinburgh one better than the Glasgow pub. The staff are nice but I felt like I was in a coffee shop rather than a bar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Liverpool one is a good size (that's it pictured in the Dublin section of the blog post). Camden is ridiculously cramped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The one in Manchester is an alright size from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ye know it's not all about size ... right?

It is when you're perched on a hard backless stool clinging to a tiny glass of expensive beer while trying to dodge some beardy's elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My problem with the Edinburgh one was most of the seats were booths, which fill up very quickly, sometimes only with 2/3 people. Meant they place got very full very quickly.

Much preferred the Glasgow one myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Edinburgh had a cute girl from Cork working there though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

lk67 wrote: »
    Ye know it's not all about size ... right?

I think I should have put a winky face on the end of that ...

Here it is now.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BeerNut wrote: »
    some beardy

OI!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Looking forward to Brixton Porter on tap.

Effects wrote: »
    Looking forward to Brixton Porter on tap.
    They've stopped making it, in favour of Alice Porter. Though they have brought beers back from the dead in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Oh well! Had it on tap earlier on in the year over in London and haven't bought a bottle in a while so I guess I hadn't noticed. I'll have to try Alice Porter so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭squonk

The Shoreditch one surprised me in how small it was for that part of London. Good atmosphere though but it could get a bit crowded really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Zaph wrote: »
    If they do open here I hope the pub is better than the Edinburgh one. It's the most uncomfortable pub I've ever been in, so bad in fact that we left after one drink.

Same, was quite disappointed. I think I had built it up in my head as some sort of beer mecca before I arrived which didn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Well their bar guy was here for a few days so i think its fair to say they are actively looking.

Doesnt have to be a licensed premises and id imagine licence cost no issue to a company with 30m turnover last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm guessing they'll go for smithfield/Stonybatter/the next target of gentrification?

I'm guessing they'll go for smithfield/Stonybatter/the next target of gentrification?

They try to aim for city centre locations with good footfall. Corner units preferred.

I reckon The Beerhouse would be an ideal choice, but they don't seem to be looking to convert existing pubs. I'd suggested Nash's on Kevin Street previously but there's an issue with the fire cert there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

while trying to dodge some beardy's elbow.
    OI!!!! :mad:

He said Beardy!! not Baldy!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I'd welcome it anyway. Have enjoyed all the ones I've been in. Rotating tasty beers and nice food.

Sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Great news if it happens. Plus, brewdog seem to get a lot of beers that are hard to get anywhere else especially over here. I was a couple of days too late to Brewdog Camden (tiny bar) where Mikkeller was signing his new book and had a tap takeover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I fount the perfect place for them here in Cork, http://www.daft.ie/commercial/former-an-caman-inn-6-7-drawbridge-street-cork-city-centre-cork/226356/. I call dibs on one of the overhead apartments, the €1,000 should cover two months rent or one months beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Was at the AGM in June and when they were doing a 'q and a' it was funny to see how many suggestions they got for new bars. Everyone wants a Brewdog pub in their city!

poisonated wrote: »
    Was at the AGM in June and when they were doing a 'q and a' it was funny to see how many suggestions they got for new bars. Everyone wants a Brewdog pub in their city!
    For the people depending on the bar discount to get a return on their investment, that's hardly surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Zaph wrote: »

Just back from Edinburgh where I was really looking forward to visiting the brewdog bar, but it was very uninviting and uncomfortable.

I too was expecting something better than what we're used to in Dublin, but the reverse was the fact and apparently that's the standard across the board.
    Hopefully they'll offer a decent bottledog facility.

Edinburgh is ok, Glasgow one isn't much better (but grand for daytime drinking). Glasgow also has a Doghouse, which is their BBQ type establishment. It's not great at all if you just want to drink as most of the tables are reserved for eating. It does have a great bottleshop attached to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just back from Edinburgh where I was really looking forward to visiting the brewdog bar, but it was very uninviting and uncomfortable.

I too was expecting something better than what we're used to in Dublin, but the reverse was the fact and apparently that's the standard across the board.

Edinburgh one is not a great bar in any shape or form tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The one in Newcastle is quite nice, I was there a few years back during some hot weather that had no business being so far North and we popped in and the place was air conditioned! We stayed for the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The only one I've ever been in was the one in Manchester and I thought it was really nice. All the other lads, who weren't craft beer drinkers (at the time!), really loved it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've being to Camden, Tokyo and Barcelona and they were all sterile compared to other bars in the city. Too much style over substance

• Advertisement

I've done Leeds (nice), Brighton (very nice) and Birmingham (poor and the area is VERY rough on weekend evenings) multiple times so far. Every single time staff mention there being Irish plans when they hear the accent or see a BOI card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've done Leeds (nice), Brighton (very nice) and Birmingham (poor and the area is VERY rough on weekend evenings) multiple times so far. Every single time staff mention there being Irish plans when they hear the accent or see a BOI card.

Plains ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭squonk

The one in Shoreditch is OK. It's a bit basic but it's grand.

listermint wrote: »
    Plains ?

Plans, as in "oh! we're planning a bar in Dublin" gets mentioned pretty much every time.

Lad behind the bar in the Brighton branch interrogated me on my preferred Irish craft beers and took notes for management on them - no idea if they did ever get a Rustbucket tap in, but it might have had some affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Ah man, that area is far from rough, take it as someone local who has been to most of the rough areas of Birmingham!!
    There are a few winos drinking on the street, but thats more to do with its proximity to the train station than anything else but they rarely give any trouble except the odd "spare some change" line.

In saying that, the Brewdog there has gone rapidly downhill in last 12 months, large turnover of staff and the place just does not seem to have the enthusiasm there anymore. We used to always include it in our regular town pub hopping tour, but less and less now.

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    Ah man, that area is far from rough, take it as someone local who has been to most of the rough areas of Birmingham!!
    There are a few winos drinking on the street, but thats more to do with its proximity to the train station than anything else but they rarely give any trouble except the odd "spare some change" line.

In saying that, the Brewdog there has gone rapidly downhill in last 12 months, large turnover of staff and the place just does not seem to have the enthusiasm there anymore. We used to always include it in our regular town pub hopping tour, but less and less now.

I work in East Wall and I wasn't happy staying there for any longer than required! Digbeth after was like a haven of tranquility in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

There's a new one in Brussels right opposite Gare Central. Its v nice with a great big balcony. Provided a welcome change of pace for a few hours but given whats available in Brussels anyway it'll be interesting to see will they last!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭JoeLapira

I was at the one in Manchester and thought it was a very good bar. I went on a Tuesday evening so it was pretty quiet but the service was very good, the beer was excellent and they had pinball machines, what more could you want. Heading over to London next weekend and i'll be calling into one or two of the bars there aswell. It would be great of they opened up a spot in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Has there been any news on when/where they're planning on opening in Dublin?

Kevski wrote: »
    Has there been any news on when/where they're planning on opening in Dublin?
    Only that Dublin is no longer on their list of international targets.

Only that Dublin is no longer on their list of international targets.

Hmmmmm
    That is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FredDunkirk

I have read about the bottledog offering dedicated growler filling station for takeaway draft beer. Any advice on for a novice "growlee"? I'd love to give it a go myself. What growler options are there in Dublin?

Latest update...
    Dublin – We had a licence partner lined up but unfortunately it fell through. We are currently reviewing Dublin strategy but other sites as it is high up our priority list and will keep you informed.

There are maybe ten currently empty actively licenced premises in the city centre or close in (they do not always go dead central). That's about the number you'll get in a medium sized British town; and its a lot easier to get a new licence there. Suspect they're tearing their hair out over how awkward it is to get going here.

There are maybe ten currently empty actively licenced premises in the city centre or close in (they do not always go dead central). That's about the number you'll get in a medium sized British town; and its a lot easier to get a new licence there. Suspect they're tearing their hair out over how awkward it is to get going here.
    Tragic.
    It reminds me of the grief whetherspoons had

• Advertisement
Advertisement