Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

irish_goat wrote: »
    Brewdog now "actively hunting" for a Dublin location.

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/cross-border-traffic

I could only be more excited if it was Cork. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brewdog now "actively hunting" for a Dublin location.

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/cross-border-traffic

Staff in Leeds claimed that was the case last November. I suspect their usual venue size (small) coupled with the value of a licence here (far too high) could make it rather hard.

I did actually suggest Cork as somewhere that might (I don't know the market for pubs there...) be cheaper and would still have a decent audience. However, I doubt a barman is going to be taking notes for HQ off a random Irish lad who's trying to try every tap in the bar in the two hours before closing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

L1011 wrote: »
    Staff in Leeds claimed that was the case last November. I suspect their usual venue size (small) coupled with the value of a licence here (far too high) could make it rather hard.

I did actually suggest Cork as somewhere that might (I don't know the market for pubs there...) be cheaper and would still have a decent audience. However, I doubt a barman is going to be taking notes for HQ off a random Irish lad who's trying to try every tap in the bar in the two hours before closing!

Yeah, Dublin has been mentioned in passing a good few times, although this is the first time it's been put down officially.

They have an email you can send potential bar locations to and they offer £1,000 if they go for it. Might work slightly better than bending a bartender's ear. :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, Dublin has been mentioned in passing a good few times, although this is the first time it's been put down officially.

They have an email you can send potential bar locations to and they offer £1,000 if they go for it. Might work slightly better than bending a bartender's ear. :P

I think they'd want more than "Cork would work well, its full of hipsters and students and stuff..." to give me grand. Unfortunately!

Leeds pub is a great venue, but like most of them, sodding tiny.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If they do open here I hope the pub is better than the Edinburgh one. It's the most uncomfortable pub I've ever been in, so bad in fact that we left after one drink.

• Advertisement

I found the Edinburgh one better than the Glasgow pub. The staff are nice but I felt like I was in a coffee shop rather than a bar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Liverpool one is a good size (that's it pictured in the Dublin section of the blog post). Camden is ridiculously cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The one in Manchester is an alright size from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ye know it's not all about size ... right?

It is when you're perched on a hard backless stool clinging to a tiny glass of expensive beer while trying to dodge some beardy's elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My problem with the Edinburgh one was most of the seats were booths, which fill up very quickly, sometimes only with 2/3 people. Meant they place got very full very quickly.

Much preferred the Glasgow one myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Edinburgh had a cute girl from Cork working there though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

lk67 wrote: »
    Ye know it's not all about size ... right?

I think I should have put a winky face on the end of that ...

Here it is now.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BeerNut wrote: »
    some beardy

OI!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Looking forward to Brixton Porter on tap.

Effects wrote: »
    Looking forward to Brixton Porter on tap.
    They've stopped making it, in favour of Alice Porter. Though they have brought beers back from the dead in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Oh well! Had it on tap earlier on in the year over in London and haven't bought a bottle in a while so I guess I hadn't noticed. I'll have to try Alice Porter so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭squonk

The Shoreditch one surprised me in how small it was for that part of London. Good atmosphere though but it could get a bit crowded really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Zaph wrote: »
    If they do open here I hope the pub is better than the Edinburgh one. It's the most uncomfortable pub I've ever been in, so bad in fact that we left after one drink.

Same, was quite disappointed. I think I had built it up in my head as some sort of beer mecca before I arrived which didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Well their bar guy was here for a few days so i think its fair to say they are actively looking.

Doesnt have to be a licensed premises and id imagine licence cost no issue to a company with 30m turnover last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm guessing they'll go for smithfield/Stonybatter/the next target of gentrification?

I'm guessing they'll go for smithfield/Stonybatter/the next target of gentrification?

They try to aim for city centre locations with good footfall. Corner units preferred.

I reckon The Beerhouse would be an ideal choice, but they don't seem to be looking to convert existing pubs. I'd suggested Nash's on Kevin Street previously but there's an issue with the fire cert there.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

BeerNut wrote: »
    while trying to dodge some beardy's elbow.
    OI!!!! :mad:

He said Beardy!! not Baldy!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I'd welcome it anyway. Have enjoyed all the ones I've been in. Rotating tasty beers and nice food.

Sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Great news if it happens. Plus, brewdog seem to get a lot of beers that are hard to get anywhere else especially over here. I was a couple of days too late to Brewdog Camden (tiny bar) where Mikkeller was signing his new book and had a tap takeover

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

I fount the perfect place for them here in Cork, http://www.daft.ie/commercial/former-an-caman-inn-6-7-drawbridge-street-cork-city-centre-cork/226356/. I call dibs on one of the overhead apartments, the €1,000 should cover two months rent or one months beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Was at the AGM in June and when they were doing a 'q and a' it was funny to see how many suggestions they got for new bars. Everyone wants a Brewdog pub in their city!

poisonated wrote: »
    Was at the AGM in June and when they were doing a 'q and a' it was funny to see how many suggestions they got for new bars. Everyone wants a Brewdog pub in their city!
    For the people depending on the bar discount to get a return on their investment, that's hardly surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Zaph wrote: »

Just back from Edinburgh where I was really looking forward to visiting the brewdog bar, but it was very uninviting and uncomfortable.

I too was expecting something better than what we're used to in Dublin, but the reverse was the fact and apparently that's the standard across the board.
    Hopefully they'll offer a decent bottledog facility.

Advertisement