Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

darkdubh wrote: »
    Anyone remember a PIF that used to be on RTE in the mid 80s that showed this young guy in silhouette,you coulden't make out his face and it started out with him saying in a strong Dublin accent "my old mans always going on about the youth of today"?I think it might have been about underage drinking,not too sure.

Could it have been about drugs and drug-pushers?

I'm guessin this because the first time I heard the term "drug-pusher" was from a tv ad and what I do remember was me asking Ma what a drug-pusher was,and she said to the effect of "I'll explain when you are older".

I have so little to go by with this one so I'm relying on ye....

This was an English ad which started out with a moody fella walking out of the room and slamming the door,and then the sister turns to her friend and says:
    "My brother's been acting really weird lately.You don't think he's taking drugs,do you?"

The confusing thing is,I don't think this ad was actually about drugs,because I think there was a series of other different things happening in the ad.
    I really hope someone else remembers it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Seasan wrote: »

This was an English ad which started out with a moody fella walking out of the room and slamming the door,and then the sister turns to her friend and says:
    "My brother's been acting really weird lately.You don't think he's taking drugs,do you?"

The confusing thing is,I don't think this ad was actually about drugs,because I think there was a series of other different things happening in the ad.

can you remember roughly when you saw it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yes,I remember this.Mid to late 80s or thereabouts.I can't remember what it was for.Could possibly have been one of those womens magazines that featured true stories or some upcoming feature in a tabloid.

Yes,I remember this.Mid to late 80s or thereabouts.I can't remember what it was for.Could possibly have been one of those womens magazines that featured true stories or some upcoming feature in a tabloid.

You're dead right about the magazine part....

I've remembered another line from that same ad,with two women talking and one of them says:
    "They say you won't feel giving birth if you give birth by accupuncture".

It was an ad for some new weekly health and safety magazine back then,but I havent a bull's notion what twas called....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

You're dead right about the magazine part....

I've remembered another line from that same ad,with two women talking and one of them says:
    "They say you won't feel giving birth if you give birth by accupuncture".

It was an ad for some new weekly health and safety magazine back then,but I havent a bull's notion what twas called....

A partwork.
    The advert probably aired in early January.

I recall one called Mediquest from the mid 1980s.

Seemed to be for hypochondriacs.

After finding this one on youtube,I remember seeing it on the telly and remember being told that they were toys that only grown-ups could play with:

Remember the lawnmower safety one from the early to mid Nineties?Guy is watching football on telly and and when the keeper fumbles the ball yer man says something like "Oh,Butterfingers!"I used to think that was quite funny.Then he starts an inner monologue."Remember when they used to call me magicfingers?"And theres a flashback to him using the lawnmower and sticking his hand under it when something goes wrong with it and then it freeze frames his reaction when he loses the fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

and of course "the spirit of the dark lonely water".....

My all-time favourite - with Donald Pleasance's scary voiceover and cheeky-chappy cockney kids

RainyDay wrote: »

My all-time favourite - with Donald Pleasance's scary voiceover and cheeky-chappy cockney kids

Luckily for me,I didn't even exist when that ad was on the telly(I don't even know if twas shown here in Ireland),but I do have it on the Charley Says DVD and if I had seen it back then I think I'd still be s******g myself and sleepin with the light on!!

• Advertisement

Remember the lawnmower safety one from the early to mid Nineties?Guy is watching football on telly and and when the keeper fumbles the ball yer man says something like "Oh,Butterfingers!"I used to think that was quite funny.Then he starts an inner monologue."Remember when they used to call me magicfingers?"And theres a flashback to him using the lawnmower and sticking his hand under it when something goes wrong with it and then it freeze frames his reaction when he loses the fingers.

Forgot to mention it was an Irish ad.Anyone else remember this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Luckily for me,I didn't even exist when that ad was on the telly(I don't even know if twas shown here in Ireland),but I do have it on the Charley Says DVD and if I had seen it back then I think I'd still be s******g myself and sleepin with the light on!!

Yep, in those days we all watched UTV which had all the UK and NI adverts, including these films, so they got plenty of coverage over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

RainyDay wrote: »
    Yep, in those days we all watched UTV which had all the UK and NI adverts, including these films, so they got plenty of coverage over here.

Along the east coast we had HTV Wales, I still miss the nice accent, the UTV accent really grates sometimes.

jca wrote: »
    Along the east coast we had HTV Wales, I still miss the nice accent, the UTV accent really grates sometimes.

"GET OYT!"
    "GET THE FAAR BRIGEEAD OYT!!
    "and STAY OYT!!!"

sorry,just takin the piss....really hope I'm not offending

This one has just crept back into me head...
    An anti-smoking ad from early 90's I think,it starts with this dance/pop music playing in the background and then this pretty-boy walks out all acting like a hunk introduces himself and says "Hi,I'm Nico".And then he starts going on about all his different "Nico" products.

And then towards the end of the ad,the music starts to die and gets slower and slower-and he says "Take me into your heart,take me into your lungs...." and then in a really sinister voice,he says "....and then I will be yours-FOREVER" and laughs menacingly,with a camera close-up of his teeth which are all black and rotten.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

This one has just crept back into me head...
    An anti-smoking ad from early 90's I think,it starts with this dance/pop music playing in the background and then this pretty-boy walks out all acting like a hunk introduces himself and says "Hi,I'm Nico".And then he starts going on about all his different "Nico" products.

And then towards the end of the ad,the music starts to die and gets slower and slower-and he says "Take me into your heart,take me into your lungs...." and then in a really sinister voice,he says "....and then I will be yours-FOREVER" and laughs menacingly,with a camera close-up of his teeth which are all black and rotten.

Yes remember that,there was another one from roughly the same time where the guy narrating the ads eyes go all weird and satanic looking at the end,can't remember what it was for.

sugarman wrote: »

Wot-I really did get my years mixed up there :-|
    Had completely forgotten the cribs one.

Yes remember that,there was another one from roughly the same time where the guy narrating the ads eyes go all weird and satanic looking at the end,can't remember what it was for.

You've made me think of a couple here....

When I used to watch the old videos with the lights off,there was always an ad before the film about copyright and video piracy with terrifying music and this hulk of a man was branding a word which was red hot,and he turns and looks right at you with flames in his eyes.

And then theres this ad about speeding,theres a press conference and the officer says "This is Ireland's new serial killer".
    And then they show a man gettin into a car,revvin up the engine and turns and stares at the camera with evil devillish eyes and that image freezes.

One just popped into my head a while ago,I'm not totally sure if it was a safety ad as it was played for laughs but it had something to do with chip pans.A family are all rushing out of bed like the house is on fire,I think the parents are waking the children.At the end of the ad theres a sound like an air raid siren and the family including their dog look nervously out from behind a wall,one or two of them have gas masks on and the dog has a World War Two type helmet on his head.Would have been on late 80s,anyone remember it?

• Advertisement

Found this one from American TV a while back:

Great ad,and great music-love how the guitar just dies out at the end.
    AIDS commercials were the terror of my childhood.

When I first found it,I never worried about why I thought about this ad while I was walking or cycling in the dark.....I JUST DID!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

I was always amazed at the length of some of those seventies/early 1980's ads ? Did the organisations(/governments ?) who commissioned them pay the full market rate for television adverts :eek: or were the TV stations required to carry them for free/at heavy discount ?

Heres a blast from the past with the TV license ad at 4.23.The lead in is interesting too,I'd forgotten about Eureka.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I was always amazed at the length of some of those seventies/early 1980's ads ? Did the organisations(/governments ?) who commissioned them pay the full market rate for television adverts :eek: or were the TV stations required to carry them for free/at heavy discount ?

It's an interesting question, and I can only guess. I'd say RTÉ were just required to run these ads as part of their public service remit. In the UK, ITV was licensed as a public-service broadcaster - and still is, even now - so it has to carry certain types of programs as part of its output. I imagine that's quid pro quo for having a national broadcasting licence.

Heres a blast from the past with the TV license ad at 4.23.The lead in is interesting too,I'd forgotten about Eureka.

Wasn't there a series of those TV licence ads back in the early 90s with him in them?

The first instalment,I think,was a kind of scary one where Dave is alone watchin the telly,and then the telly starts doing all weird things,the doorbell rings and then "ANSWER THE DOOR" repeatedly flashes up on the TV screen.

And then in the other one,the telly starts talkin to Dave again and this time it sounds more sinister,and at the end of the ad the telly says:
    "And when they come calling to see you,it won't be 'Do the decent thing,Dave.'
    It will be 'Where is your licence,Sir?'"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I just watched that one and it genuinely gave me the creeps! :eek:

Wasn't there a series of those TV licence ads back in the early 90s with him in them?

The first instalment,I think,was a kind of scary one where Dave is alone watchin the telly,and then the telly starts doing all weird things,the doorbell rings and then "ANSWER THE DOOR" repeatedly flashes up on the TV screen.

And then in the other one,the telly starts talkin to Dave again and this time it sounds more sinister,and at the end of the ad the telly says:

Yes thats right,I'm pretty sure they did another one with the same guy where he was watching the USA 94 World Cup and the voice from the telly comes on warning him about the license.Considering the fact that moustache lad seemed to be getting away with having no license for several years despite getting regular warnings the point was pretty much lost.

Got it.....

John did ya put the cat out?The sound qualitys not great on this,you have to turn your volume rightup.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Those Apre Match parodies are bringing back memories,remember this TV license one?The original followed by the AM spoof.:)

Advertisement