Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Forgotten about this one from the 90's.

Hopefully I fixed it for ya :-);-)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

This one has just crept back into me head...
    An anti-smoking ad from early 90's I think,it starts with this dance/pop music playing in the background and then this pretty-boy walks out all acting like a hunk introduces himself and says "Hi,I'm Nico".And then he starts going on about all his different "Nico" products.

And then towards the end of the ad,the music starts to die and gets slower and slower-and he says "Take me into your heart,take me into your lungs...." and then in a really sinister voice,he says "....and then I will be yours-FOREVER" and laughs menacingly,with a camera close-up of his teeth which are all black and rotten.
    Yes remember that,there was another one from roughly the same time where the guy narrating the ads eyes go all weird and satanic looking at the end,can't remember what it was for.

Ha, just came across the second one which I remembered, starts at 1.42. Wasn't a PIF but for Mitsubishi. Really creepy vibe even down to yer mans voice.

Ha, just came across the second one which I remembered, starts at 1.42. Wasn't a PIF but for Mitsubishi. Really creepy vibe even down to yer mans voice.

Fixed it for ya!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

For some reason that above one reminds me of a kind of strange road safety advert from mid 90's. It had this official sounding guy at a press conference saying "Yes there is a serial killer on the loose in Ireland" then it shows a creepy fella sitting into a car and turning around to stare at the viewer.

darkdubh wrote: »
    For some reason that above one reminds me of a kind of strange road safety advert from mid 90's. It had this official sounding guy at a press conference saying "Yes there is a serial killer on the loose in Ireland" then it shows a creepy fella sitting into a car and turning around to stare at the viewer.
    I mentioned that very one on another thread.

Towards the end of the ad,someone asks the "garda" at the press conference what he thinks the serial killer's problem is,and he replies "overconfidence".
    Then at the very end,they show a man getting into a car,smiling,then turning swiftly around to stare at us all,with red eyes......
    And the voiceover says
    Speeding. Only YOU can stop the serial killer... that is inside you.

• Advertisement

I've just found this one.
    Tis neither Irish nor British,but I have to include it here coz sometimes the Americans really do know how to make PSAs.
    Sound quality not great though.

"Don't try to repair damaged fittings, replace them instead"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm sure it's been done, but:

John, did ya put the cat out?

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been done, but:

John, did ya put the cat out?

A classic. Sound quality's not great on this, turn the volume right up.

Heres another classic, ran for a good few years.

Probably not so much a safety ad but remember that one that showed a shopping trolley with loads of glass bottles and food etc being dropped into it from a height? I think it was about buying Irish products, it had one of those solemn voiceovers that you tend to associate with PIF's and the final shot was a great big fecking matress falling onto the trolley before the ad ended in a freeze frame.

Spot the Rurai Quinn lookalike.

I've just found this one,and I don't remember ever seeing it before.
    Can anybody else remember it,and if so, how does it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I've just found this one,and I don't remember ever seeing it before.
    Can anybody else remember it,and if so, how does it end?

That's from Radharc's Dying For A Drink film which dates from 1983.
    It was shown extensively in school classrooms during the mid-1980s.

You can watch the full film here - http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/354383-dying-for-a-drink/

That's from Radharc's Dying For A Drink film which dates from 1983.
    It was shown extensively in school classrooms during the mid-1980s.

You can watch the full film here - http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/354383-dying-for-a-drink/
    Brilliant film,I watched it from start to finish.

I remember seeing an Irish safe sex PSA that was shown in cinemas in the late 90's, circa 97/98. Was more to do with stds in general that specifically AIDS I think. It had a voiceover that started off something like "You can have a wonderful time, with a wonderful person". It showed a succession of couples in what was close to mild softcore sexual positions. When a gay couple came up a bunch of skangers in the cinema all said "ewwwww" and one girl said very loudly "Dats disgusting!"

I remember seeing an Irish safe sex PSA that was shown in cinemas in the late 90's, circa 97/98. Was more to do with stds in general that specifically AIDS I think. It had a voiceover that started off something like "You can have a wonderful time, with a wonderful person". It showed a succession of couples in what was close to mild softcore sexual positions. When a gay couple came up a bunch of skangers in the cinema all said "ewwwww" and one girl said very loudly "Dats disgusting!"
    You've just reminded me of the when the ads about AIDS became a bit more mellow and less scary in the early 90s,which had celebrities like Pat O'Mahony,Hillary Fennell and Thom "The Diceman" McGintey giving advice on AIDS.The series of ads just had each of them sitting down in a darkened room speaking to the camera,with the exception of The Diceman who just held up a sign which read "It goes without saying.Protect yourself.Always use a condom."

I distinctly remember that bitch Hillary Fennell basically blaming men alone for the spread of AIDS in her ad.

• Advertisement

You've just reminded me of the when the ads about AIDS became a bit more mellow and less scary in the early 90s,which had celebrities like Pat O'Mahony,Hillary Fennell and Thom "The Diceman" McGintey giving advice on AIDS.The series of ads just had each of them sitting down in a darkened room speaking to the camera,with the exception of The Diceman who just held up a sign which read "It goes without saying.Protect yourself.Always use a condom."

I distinctly remember that bitch Hillary Fennell basically blaming men alone for the spread of AIDS in her ad.

They still had those ads running till about ten years ago with one of the Corrs (probably Sharon) and Sinead O Connor .

They still had those ads running till about ten years ago with one of the Corrs (probably Sharon) and Sinead O Connor .

Yep,I remember those ones well also.

I think they were dealing more with the stigma of having AIDS and HIV more than anything else.
    Either way,I found those ads pretty tame and ineffective.

Here's one that I think was shown during the ads at half time during the 1990 World Cup. Liam Brady with give drugs the boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Charley says: always tell your mommy before you go off somewhere

Found a link with bit more info on this. It was directed by Louis Marcus and it's title is "Amplexample". Seems the above is only a short snippet, the original is 11 minutes long.

http://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=37601

Searching Road Safety Authority on that site brings up this link, very interesting.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/search.php?s=Keywords&q=National+Road+Safety+Association

Searching Road Safety Authority on that site brings up this link, very interesting.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/search.php?s=Keywords&q=National+Road+Safety+Association

Extremely informative, thank you.
    I remember a lot of these.
    I know it's just a list but some great info there.
    Michael O'Hehir and the level crossings :)

Extremely informative, thank you.
    I remember a lot of these.
    I know it's just a list but some great info there.
    Michael O'Hehir and the level crossings :)

It mentions that the Safe Cross Code II, the one with Judge and other Wanderly Wagon puppets was screened at a film festival in Galway in 2002, so some of these pifs are still out there.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=37597

It mentions that the Safe Cross Code II, the one with Judge and other Wanderly Wagon puppets was screened at a film festival in Galway in 2002, so some of these pifs are still out there.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=37597

That version wasn't aired as much but it's very memorable. Foxy is kinda sinister in it.
    "In winter it can get dark as early as half past four."
    (shoots to a photo of a clock) - trying to remember if this was part of it or not.

• Advertisement

That version wasn't aired as much but it's very memorable. Foxy is kinda sinister in it.
    "In winter it can get dark as early as half past four."
    (shoots to a photo of a clock) - trying to remember if this was part of it or not.

Not sure if it was the same one but I just remember Judge saying "that was a very bad thing to do" after one or more kids try to cross the road through traffic.

Advertisement