Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monaghan GAA Thread

Options
  • 22-07-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as there isn't a dedicated Monaghan thread and riding high on our 16th ulster title i thought now is as good a a time as any to start one ..
    Feel feel to post re the county team or clubs / club competitions in monaghan .
    I think we are better prepared and wiser and should make waves in the latter stages this year , but sire om an optimist ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

cjmc wrote: »
    Seeing as there isn't a dedicated Monaghan thread and riding high on our 16th ulster title i thought now is as good a a time as any to start one ..
    I think we are better prepared and wiser and should make waves in the latter stages this year , but sire om an optimist ;))

Delighted to see this up and running - I was going to set up a Monaghan thread but felt wrong for a Cavan man to be doing it :D.

On topic, this could be a massive year for Monaghan - think a semi final appearance is in this team and who knows from there. Exciting times for Monaghan football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congratulations on Sunday
    Ye have a very good team and outstanding management in malachi o rourke who is a credit to monaghan
    Best of luck in the rest of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Congratulations on Sunday
    Ye have a very good team and outstanding management in malachi o rourke who is a credit to monaghan
    Best of luck in the rest of the championship

outstanding management in malachi o rourke who is a credit to monaghan
    For a fermanagh man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Were ye chewing your finger nails during the 2nd half on Sunday or were you thinking "it's cool, Conor's got this"

I know ye beat Tyrone in Ulster last year, but big enough challenge to do it in Croke Park now, even if ye were hard done by in 2013. I'm looking forward to that game.

And yes, I am completely writing Sligo off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

At long last a Monaghan thread! Normally post on the hogan stand forums so great to see one created here. Hopefully we can get to the semi final this year at least but we can't look past the next game. I've watched the full match back a couple of times now and I'll comment on the main issues from the match.

What a player we have in Conor McManus. Neil McGee kept him quiet for the first 20 mins but he gradually got onto the ball as the game wore on. It was clever to bring kieran Hughes out the field because it freed up a lot of space. I think Donegal expected the high ball in.
    I'd be concerned about beggans kickouts in the second half. I think we only won 2 kickouts. Now I might be harsh blaming beggan or maybe it's our midfield frailties. I thought dick clerkin should have been brought on sooner and surprised Paul Finlay's was not brought on because he could have slotted the missed free by beggan and it would have been game over.

We played some great patient football and picked out the passes when needed. Great to a good variety of players scoring last Sunday.

I don't think we actually played to the full of our potential and we still won which is a great sign. The best I've seen Monaghan play this year was the Kerry league game in Tralee. If we aim to play as well as that we'll trouble anyone.

Hope this is the start of many posts this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed on Conor McManus. I couldn't but be impressed by his attitude and discipline on Sunday. We know all about his ability but to be able to take the personal attention Neil gave him and still bang over points with barely a look at the posts was seriously impressive. As RSF said, Tyrone should be a good challenge. I think you should be able to take them and I'm sure the team are thinking this is the time to push on to the next level - which may well mean a semi final with Kerry ... that could be the making of ye! :)

physioman wrote: »
    At long last a Monaghan thread! Normally post on the hogan stand forums so great to see one created here. Hopefully we can get to the semi final this year at least but we can't look past the next game. I've watched the full match back a couple of times now and I'll comment on the main issues from the match.

What a player we have in Conor McManus. Neil McGee kept him quiet for the first 20 mins but he gradually got onto the ball as the game wore on. It was clever to bring kieran Hughes out the field because it freed up a lot of space. I think Donegal expected the high ball in.
    I'd be concerned about beggans kickouts in the second half. I think we only won 2 kickouts. Now I might be harsh blaming beggan or maybe it's our midfield frailties. I thought dick clerkin should have been brought on sooner and surprised Paul Finlay's was not brought on because he could have slotted the missed free by beggan and it would have been game over.

We played some great patient football and picked out the passes when needed. Great to a good variety of players scoring last Sunday.

I don't think we actually played to the full of our potential and we still won which is a great sign. The best I've seen Monaghan play this year was the Kerry league game in Tralee. If we aim to play as well as that we'll trouble anyone.

Hope this is the start of many posts this summer.

Nothing to disagree with . Mcmanus was fantastic . I think both teams ceded midfield to a certain extent and concentrated rather on winning ball in defence at the half back line or forcing long shots then playing patient posession football to make openings . Its just that monaghan were more effective and smarter with the ball.
    Donegal helped by moving murphy out the pitch . Negated him to a large extent where as mcmanus was always in the danger zone and it showed.
    Surprised too that finlay wasnt on for the last 10 for exactly frees like that .
    Croke park here we come :))

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Owen Lennon showed his worth again too. Thought he was very sharp, things work much better when he's fit and playing. He was great in 2013 and injured last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

outstanding management in malachi o rourke who is a credit to monaghan
    For a fermanagh man :(

I think he has earned the title of being a Fermonaghan man. Am a Fermonaghaner meself being born in Enniskillen but living my life in Monaghan so its a phrase I coined and will allow to be used in relation to a person who has brought my dad more joy than I ever have. :D

Witchie wrote: »
    I think he has earned the title of being a Fermonaghan man. Am a Fermonaghaner meself being born in Enniskillen but living my life in Monaghan so its a phrase I coined and will allow to be used in relation to a person who has brought my dad more joy than I ever have. :D

Ah dont be so hard on yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

Well done on the thread.

The couple of hours spent out on the pitch in the warm Clones evening last Sunday with the Monaghan team and my friends who had suffered through years of disappointment were up there with the happiest I've ever had. More satisfying than '13 even and brings to 5 the successful finals I've been fortunate enough to be at ! A couple of years ago, we couldn't see when another might be coming so this has been just great and I'm thrilled the older lads have now got their hands on two coveted winners medals ......

I think I'll enjoy this for another few days before starting worrying about the next match ( though it's in the back of all our minds !).

A wee bit concerned about how we didn't pick off another score or two in the second half to make it more comfortable but I think Donegal deserve credit for a valiant effort at rescuing the match.

Let's bask in it and see what the next few weeks bring. Would just like to thank the team and all associated with them for the joy they've brought to all of us from Monaghan.

If this weeks game goes as expected (tyrone winning) it means a qf with tyrone..
    Some posters here in other threads seem to think this year is well set up for a run to the all Ireland final for us.
    We will still have to play tyrone and prob kerry ( AI champs) to do that .! so
    i don't see an 'easy' side to any draw this far into the final except to avoid Dublin .
    I hate this much optimism for our chances !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Seeing as there isn't a dedicated Monaghan thread and riding high on our 16th ulster title i thought now is as good a a time as any to start one

Every county should have one. Good to see another county join the list. Over on the Dublin thread we've been wondering are there any Fermanagh people here, or do we even know any? :)

Flukey wrote: »
    Every county should have one. Good to see another county join the list. Over on the Dublin thread we've been wondering are there any Fermanagh people here, or do we even know any? :)

Oh i think there are . They pop up every now and again on different theads ! ( like monaghan )
    Wait till they beat the dubs and there will be 1000's of them here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hey, we know Joe McQuillan don't we? We Dubs are big, BIG fans of his work. :D

Edit: Never mind. Apparently, he's from somewhere called Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Oh i think there are . They pop up every now and again on different theads ! ( like monaghan )
    Wait till they beat the dubs and there will be 1000's of them here

So we won't be seeing them any time in the foreseeable future then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

So who do we want? Galway or Tyrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

edgecutter wrote: »
    So who do we want? Donegal or Tyrone?
    Ye can't have Donegal AFAIK.

If Donegal win, ye get Tyrone.
    If Galway win, ye get Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Wouldn't be afraid of Tyrone and if Galway manage to overturn Donegal here...well, we coud maybe send out the second string! :)

As expected donegal and tyrone win , though im surprised at donegals 10 pt margin.
    Did sligo teach us anything about tyrone ? Didnt see the game. Have to say i am really looking forward to this saturday, 2 good games , though the n2/m1 is gonna be chock a block

• Advertisement

As expected donegal and tyrone win , though im surprised at donegals 10 pt margin.
    Did sligo teach us anything about tyrone ? Didnt see the game. Have to say i am really looking forward to this saturday, 2 good games , though the n2/m1 is gonna be chock a block

Sligo way out of their league. Hard to know how good Tyrone are. They won't get the time and comfort on the ball they got today. Shaping up for a great weekend of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

If we lose to Tyrone it will take a lot of the gloss off the Ulster win. We got it tactically all wrong 2 years ago. We need to push up on the Tyrone kick out and make sure they have to go long. I guarantee they are going to do that to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Literally nothing in it between ourselves and Monaghan. You beat us last year in Ulster by a point and we won two years ago in Croker by 2 (iirc). I think we've improved significantly from last year, not enough to win any AI, but we certainly look much better up front. We'll naturally set up more defensive against you lot than we did in any of the qualifiers so our own scores won't come as easy. Where I think you might struggle with us now is that the scorers in Tyrone are more spread out with most scores coming from the inside forward line but the midfield and half forwards seem to always chip in with a few.

You're the best team by a mile we've played since the donegal game at the start of the championship. We were very close to them that day as you were in the final so I really can't pick much between the teams.

I'm going for a few points win for Tyrone, but far from confidently. Whoever wins this one I'd love to see winning the whole thing.

Hon Ulster!

Jayop wrote: »
    Literally nothing in it between ourselves and Monaghan. You beat us last year in Ulster by a point and we won two years ago in Croker by 2 (iirc). I think we've improved significantly from last year, not enough to win any AI, but we certainly look much better up front. We'll naturally set up more defensive against you lot than we did in any of the qualifiers so our own scores won't come as easy. Where I think you might struggle with us now is that the scorers in Tyrone are more spread out with most scores coming from the inside forward line but the midfield and half forwards seem to always chip in with a few.

You're the best team by a mile we've played since the donegal game at the start of the championship. We were very close to them that day as you were in the final so I really can't pick much between the teams.

I'm going for a few points win for Tyrone, but far from confidently. Whoever wins this one I'd love to see winning the whole thing.

Hon Ulster!

While McManus is our main man scoring wise, our backs , overlapping, are well capable of taking their points.
    Double marking McManus will free up our other forwards/ runners and you will have to double up on him or he will rack points up .
    I'm happy with our attacking options.
    What we showed so far is we tend not to panic shoot and find the better option.
    It should be tight but hopefully we're wiser and will see it out.

While McManus is our main man scoring wise, our backs , overlapping, are well capable of taking their points.
    Double marking McManus will free up our other forwards/ runners and you will have to double up on him or he will rack points up .

Aye I reckon we'll drop one man back to double up on McManus and another back as a sweeper. We'll be short in the forward line and will probably play with two full forward and two at half forward working back.

Should be a cracking game.

Agree on it being tight but I would love to see us (Monaghan) with a few more confident and consistent enough to slot them over from range. We'd be a shoe in to the final if we had them.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Agree on it being tight but I would love to see us (Monaghan) with a few more confident and consistent enough to slot them over from range. We'd be a shoe in to the final if we had them.

Isn't that always the problem with teams like Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan. The talent pool of players who are both physically strong and fast enough to play the style we demand doesn't have enough players who are simply true enough footballers to kick the ball over the bar when it counts from range.

We were blessed with them back in the naughties but they're few and far between now.

I dream of another Dooher.

Isn't that always the problem with teams like Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan. The talent pool of players who are both physically strong and fast enough to play the style we demand doesn't have enough players who are simply true enough footballers to kick the ball over the bar when it counts from range.

We were blessed with them back in the naughties but they're few and far between now.

I dream of another Dooher.

Every game I go to I end up screaming at them to have a pop. It's a confidence thing rather than not having the ability.
    I'd rather see a missed shot than a lot of the tactical postioning play that goes on if it meant a players confidence would grow.
    McManus has grown as a footballer for that reason, taking on things now that he wouldn't have a few years ago.

Leave geting another Dooher until after next Sunday will yis? :)

McManus would get on any team in the country. Not the biggest fella (maybe I'm wrong) but he's brave in the physical sense and brave in taking on the responsibility. Near impossible to mark too.

Big shoulders with all teh expectation on him to perform every single time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

McManus would get on any team in the country. Not the biggest fella (maybe I'm wrong) but he's brave in the physical sense and brave in taking on the responsibility. Near impossible to mark too.

Big shoulders with all teh expectation on him to perform every single time.

He looks slight but he's deceptively strong, wiry moreso than bulky, but I've definitely noticed him getting stronger over the last 2/3 years. There's a few good examples of this in some of his scores this year where he holds off his man with one arm and then kicks a score.

6ft tall too so I wouldn't say he's small. He's a great man to win his own ball too so he's certainly stronger and tougher than some may think.

Advertisement