Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Christ you'll be excommunicated for that last statement !!!think Jackie would be way out of his depth in a place like that as spoofing would get him no where.interesting articles and profiles in the magazine though...

Maybe just maybe xbreds are profitable, Hickey lads have bought 3 substantial farms out of them. No land sold to fund either.

Before you go off on one, I didn't say Hols aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Maybe just maybe xbreds are profitable, Hickey lads have bought 3 substantial farms out of them. No land sold to fund either.

Before you go off on one, I didn't say Hols aren't

Go off on one .....me......never .

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

The other thing scared me was the unwavering conviction in expansion and future dairying profitability

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

keep going wrote: »
    The level of risk taken on particularly the hickeys and the two boys in america
    What did they do kg? Who are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

Pacoa wrote: »

You'd wonder how there's a crisis over there. I mean during quota years they were always underquota so shouldn't be a problem of excess milk. They're not an exporting nation so shouldn't be affected by so called "world prices". Is it just an internal problem with supermarkets pushing down prices against each other or is comsumption falling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

The level of risk taken on particularly the hickeys and the two boys in america

The scariest thing for me is the US's shear capacity and potential to flood the rest of the world with milk. With massive cull cow prices, drop calf prices, cheap inputs and the governments new intervention(which is more or less a guaranteed price for any milk produced).
    It's puts countries massively reliant on export like ourselves and NZ in a v precarious position.
    They will control world milk price for the foreseeable future, and I think that's gonna be somewhere in the v low 30's.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What did they do kg? Who are they?

Ah nothing much they farming in kilkenny got a notion one day and bought a farm in westmeath for 3.7 million, threw 250 or so cows on it , hadnt enough work in that so bought another couple hunderd acres then and stuck another 350 on it, loose figures but you get the drift

The scariest thing for me is the US's shear capacity and potential to flood the rest of the world with milk. With massive cull cow prices, drop calf prices, cheap inputs and the governments new intervention(which is more or less a guaranteed price for any milk produced).
    It's puts countries massively reliant on export like ourselves and NZ in a v precarious position.
    They will control world milk price for the foreseeable future, and I think that's gonna be somewhere in the v low 30's.

Are you being optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Are you being optimistic

I'm talking about price for the nxt 5 yrs, just my opinion, but I can't any reason for a major increase for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

Boss man here in oz was talking this morning about farmers selling off heifers to China to generate cash, Chinese investing in a local hay export company, purchasing farms here. Are they going to supply themselves with food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

einn32 wrote: »
    Milking 480 in a 20 unit double out here in oz. Takes about 2.5 hours to milk. Wash down takes about an hour if you do the collecting yards. It does take it's toll on the body after a while I find but you don't realise it until your days off.

Are you a milker or assisting the owner?

If you want a few brownie points, suggest putting all the heifers and hi dependence cows in one group. It will mean a bit more work bringing cows to and fro but his solids will increase and his in calf rate will improve.

You may even be able to negotiate a small bonus into it, perhaps a $per every 10kgms extra and $10 per every cow less empty.

On 450 cows that could become $12/1400 at the seasons end. You'd get a week in a hoor house before you come home out of it :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Holy shít guys! Well done on completing the first thread, welcome to Dairy Two Point Oh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Are you a milker or assisting the owner?

If you want a few brownie points, suggest putting all the heifers and hi dependence cows in one group. It will mean a bit more work bringing cows to and fro but his solids will increase and his in calf rate will improve.

You may even be able to negotiate a small bonus into it, perhaps a $per every 10kgms extra and $10 per every cow less empty.

On 450 cows that could become $12/1400 at the seasons end. You'd get a week in a hoor house before you come home out of it :):)

1200/1400 would be loose change re wages out their, the single most important thing when working out their is to get paid by the hour, and not a salary....
    Was clearing 300 a week more in my last job then the other farm manager on the boss man's other farm as he was salary, he was fairly pissed off when we got talking about wages one day

Boss man here in oz was talking this morning about farmers selling off heifers to China to generate cash, Chinese investing in a local hay export company, purchasing farms here. Are they going to supply themselves with food?

Ha China doesn't buy milk they buy the farm, the coop, the ships or planes to bring it home. There's no such thing as the dole out there you either work or starve. So why don't you buy the companies that are supplying us with products we need and employ Chinese people instead. Control the product and keep money in Chinese circulation. They don't have the same short term view that people in the west have. Everything is for their country and their thinking is long term 100years, 200years, 500years from now. We threw the doors open to the vice president now president of china 2 years ago when he came to see our dairy farming. He wasn't on a tour to see our products he was on a recon mission to see which dairy system would best suit their own country. He was in the US before he came here looking at their dairy farming systems and they've gone with that model building big dairy units in china and buying heifers in Canada and Australia. People will say our products command a premium in their supermarkets but the government will only allow a certain amount in and that that does get in is taxed so much to encourage spending on Chinese products produced at home or abroad. Food is a tough one to get people to spend money on a premium product, I mean when you buy it you eat it then it's gone. When you buy an audi, bmw, rolex at least you can show it off and people will say God their doing well. I don't mean to be pessimistic but they look after their own and you have to admire them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

frogloch wrote: »
    Ha China doesn't buy milk they buy the farm, the coop, the ships or planes to bring it home. There's no such thing as the dole out there you either work or starve. So why don't you buy the companies that are supplying us with products we need and employ Chinese people instead. Control the product and keep money in Chinese circulation. They don't have the same short term view that people in the west have. Everything is for their country and their thinking is long term 100years, 200years, 500years from now. We threw the doors open to the vice president now president of china 2 years ago when he came to see our dairy farming. He wasn't on a tour to see our products he was on a recon mission to see which dairy system would best suit their own country. He was in the US before he came here looking at their dairy farming systems and they've gone with that model building big dairy units in china and buying heifers in Canada and Australia. People will say our products command a premium in their supermarkets but the government will only allow a certain amount in and that that does get in is taxed so much to encourage spending on Chinese products produced at home or abroad. Food is a tough one to get people to spend money on a premium product, I mean when you buy it you eat it then it's gone. When you buy an audi, bmw, rolex at least you can show it off and people will say God their doing well. I don't mean to be pessimistic but they look after their own and you have to admire them for it.

Anyone read China's Silent Army. Here are ten facts from the book.

http://www.everydayebook.com/2013/03/10-astonishing-facts-from-chinas-silent-army/

HORAY got my milk back. I was saying in an earlier post that the milk supply reading on the docket had dropped 20% on the previous reading, the next reading was back up to where it was before. It was only from talking to my neighbour that we realised something was wrong. Then from talking to other suppliers they were wondering what was wrong and were blaming their cows. The milk manager said there was something wrong with the lorry that came to us that day. So just talk to each other you mightn't be the only one having the same problem. HORAY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

frogloch wrote: »
    HORAY got my milk back. I was saying in an earlier post that the milk supply reading on the docket had dropped 20% on the previous reading, the next reading was back up to where it was before. It was only from talking to my neighbour that we realised something was wrong. Then from talking to other suppliers they were wondering what was wrong and were blaming their cows. The milk manager said there was something wrong with the lorry that came to us that day. So just talk to each other you mightn't be the only one having the same problem. HORAY :D

Something similar happened around here a number of years ago with tbc. No dry ice in sample container on a hot summers day. Loads of tbc spikes. Same as your situation a couple of lads on the same route were talking a couple of others were contacted no penalties. Still a very sore point with milk manager.

If there's anyone in the southeast region maybe the whole glanbia area as glanbia own the tankers but the drivers own the lorries or else they drive for someone else who own them, anyway if your milk dipped check to see it wasn't truck no.77. If it's collecting off you the whole time God help you. Anyway if you suspect something amiss talk to your neighbours and contact your milk manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Very same thing here freedom with the TBC, random 350 or so TBC fine, immediately onto the milk manager who said he'd look into it, talked to both neighbours a few days later and they were having problems also, we never got a straight answer, but had to have been the lorry. Got a nice 1700e fine next milk cheque, kicked up stink with the milk manager, who thankfully refunded it the next month, it would wreck your head thought.

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Very same thing here freedom with the TBC, random 350 or so TBC fine, immediately onto the milk manager who said he'd look into it, talked to both neighboir

I'll tell you what happened me last year. The milk lorry comes in takes a half load of milk out of tank then he doesn't come back till that night when we're after milking again in it. The milk dries off on the sides of the tank then the fresh milk goes in on top of it. Anyway tbc comes back at 439. I told milk manager about it that it wasn't my fault and he took the fine off. But the bleeden 439 is still there on my milk report for year end. Had a bord bia inspection 2 weeks ago and he had reports for last 2 years and its still on it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

As I said on here a couple of years ago the most relevant benchmark we can use to determine competitiveness in a Global market might well be "how many bushels of soy can be bought in Chicago for the price of an Irish acre"...

I think I was shouted down so I won't suggest it again :)

China has been securing the means to supply themselves with food for a good while now.

I remember a deal about ten years ago in which Chinese technology and manufacturing FDI into one small African nation included unusual terms for concessionary access to a hundred thousand hectares or more of land thousands of miles away on the African mainland - "bread basket" land over which that nation held historical rights.

At the time it was widely thought that the tail of the deal was wagging the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Yeah, meant to put that in.

There are different types of current problems as well.

When my Scc was around 200, i tested for voltage and nothing showed up. Then last year I lost a lot of sheds in the storm and the lights around the yard were acting up and causing the power to trip. So I had my electrician out every week trying to sort it out and it was ok till late in the year when it started acting up again and Scc rose again to 250.

Then this spring we lost power for a day due to a faulty water pump further down the line but my electrician said that excuse wasn't right. He told me that there was a problem on my transformer and ring and tell them it was dangerous, which I did.

They weren't happy coming out that evening but were very sheepish when they came down the pole after finding a badly installed yokey(technical term) on the transformer.

I've had no problems since and all this year the Scc is under 200, bar one period after starting up milking.

out set up is old , scc used to hovering between 200 to 300 ,

got an "expert in the field" to check all wiring & leak test etc, & he gave everything the all clear... no change in scc

sometime later we built a new shed, my son done most of the wiring but got a local sparkie to connect to the power source in the dairy, while there he done a few tests & found very low voltage readings at 2 points

2 bits of cable & bonded back to earth

immediate change in scc, which in time have come back to well under 100

kowtow wrote: »
    China has been securing the means to supply themselves with food for a good while now.

I remember a deal about ten years ago in which Chinese technology and manufacturing FDI into one small African nation included unusual terms for concessionary access to a hundred thousand hectares or more of land thousands of miles away on the African mainland - "bread basket" land over which that nation held historical rights.

At the time it was widely thought that the tail of the deal was wagging the dog.

There have been dozens of similar deals kt. I saw a documentary a couple of years ago which featured one of these farms. One of the happiest Chinese guys I ever saw on camera managing it. One of the things he was happiest about was the freedom and independence he had in his new job. It struck me at the time that a guy with his skillset and obvious drive wasn't going to spend too long running someone else's farm when he was surrounded by millions of acres of the same type of land just waiting for someone to develop it. It will be interesting to see how it pans out over time.

The Chinese are building a huge port in N Brazil to ship grains and other commodities from various projects they have interests in home. The brazilians are happy enough to let them at it but Brazil is not E.Africa. I wouldn't like to be invested in that particular project if the government in Brazil decides they're no longer happy enough with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Took bull out from cows yesterday evening-straight to factory- was great this morning not watching my back the whole time. Took about 10 minutes off milking time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Maize crops suppose to be well back on previous years, the chap growing it for me said he doesn't expect any more than 16/17tons off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whelan2 wrote: »
    Took bull out from cows yesterday evening-straight to factory- was great this morning not watching my back the whole time. Took about 10 minutes off milking time

What did you get for them?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Maize crops suppose to be well back on previous years, the chap growing it for me said he doesn't expect any more than 16/17tons off it.

I'd love to know how accurate and these weights are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement