Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

penev10 wrote: »
    milkstoutnitro1.jpg

Wow. Like velvet.

Got a couple with my last batch from drinkstore. Wish id got a couple of boxes of it. Its fantastic and so nice to drink. Its like milk its that smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

€6 for a bottle of Voyager from Galway Bay, feck that and that's the off license price.

Got a Celebrator doppelbock and Ur-Weisse for about 20 cent more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

yeah, there was a hoppy lager in Spoons, don't know of it's still there, it was decent enough.

I've actually got a growler of Papa Pils that I think I'll drink tonight, which should be along the same lines.

Did you drink the Papa Pils? Purchase it again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Got to try Kinnegar Rustbucket on draught at the Franciscan Well. Lovely beer, different to what I was expecting, to be honest. Tasted nice and light, and a good easy drinker without compromising on flavour at all.

Also had the new seasonal, Beast from the Yeast farmhouse ale/saison. Really tangy. Reminds me a little bit of a gose. The yeast is really strong, which I can see some people not liking, but I love yeasty flavours, so it's another thumbs up from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Did you drink the Papa Pils? Purchase it again ?

Something went wrong with my growler, the beer was gone off, sour and undrinkable, after only 3 weeks in the growler. I had noticed some foam residue around the swingtop, but put it down to filling time, obviously not though, reckon it was infected.

Harsh lesson in Growler hygiene, but I just wish it was something cheaper :(

• Advertisement

3 weeks sounds like a really long time in a growler though. I thought growlers were meant to contain beer for a couple of days max???

Supposed to last 3 months if purged correctly with co2, same as a commercial bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Is there someone on the boards willing to share a cost of 19£ delivery from brewdog online shop?

They have nice selection of stone and balast point maybe when can split the delivery costs.

3 weeks sounds like a really long time in a growler though. I thought growlers were meant to contain beer for a couple of days max???

for the PEGAS system (which is being used in a few Carry Out, McHughs, Baggot St Wines, The Tap House...) you are supposed to have 60 days freshness.

The beer wasn't flat, the seal was good, but it was definitely gone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Rumun wrote: »
    Is there someone on the boards willing to share a cost of 19£ delivery from brewdog online shop?

They have nice selection of stone and balast point maybe when can split the delivery costs.

It's not really worth buying from them at the moment with the exchange rate being so bad.

£100 worth of beer with £19 delivery would set you back €170

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You might be liable for excise duty & vat. Most people ordering beer in the EU seem to have it slip through, but some posters definitely had spirits stopped within the EU.

Some companies can take care of the duty before it ships. As this company has no varying prices for different coutnries I expect they don't

https://www.brewdog.com/customer-care/faqs
    VAT & CHARGES FOR ONLINE ORDERS
    Unfortunately as these orders are paid for in the UK, VAT is payable on all online shop orders regardless of the final destination country. We keep all international surcharges to a minimal where possible, but this charge is not something we have the ability to waiver.

Orders (including gifts) outside of the EU may be subject to unexpected local taxes / customs charges. Customers are responsible for these costs and should ensure they are happy to pay them prior to ordering. If you later decide to reject the goods, when a customs charge is applicable, we reserve the right to deduct shipping and any other costs incurred prior to processing any refund
    So they are either paying the duty in advance, or more likely ignorant of the laws.

And parcel motel are meant to usually refuse alcohol in case anybody is thinking of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Mikkeller have free shipping if you spend over 1000 kroner (180 euros).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone else tried St. Mels "Spring Bock"?
    Had a couple of bottles last night, and found it quite good. (as in, "would buy it again")

Something went wrong with my growler, the beer was gone off, sour and undrinkable, after only 3 weeks in the growler. I had noticed some foam residue around the swingtop, but put it down to filling time, obviously not though, reckon it was infected.

Harsh lesson in Growler hygiene, but I just wish it was something cheaper :(

Sorry to hear that :(

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Anyone else tried St. Mels "Spring Bock"?
    Had a couple of bottles last night, and found it quite good. (as in, "would buy it again")

Yep I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

rubadub wrote: »
    And parcel motel are meant to usually refuse alcohol in case anybody is thinking of them.
    They do now. I've gotten quite a bit from BrewDog over the last couple of years and Parcel Motel used to let the stuff through no bother, but they've really cracked down lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Harsh lesson in Growler hygiene
    Every time I see "growler" I think of this, but "growler hygiene" is the best phrase yet.

jsa112 wrote: »
    Mikkeller have free shipping if you spend over 1000 kroner (180 euros).

Ok, so would you be up for it?
    Maybe group buy of 3-4 people?

I wont pay 180€ myself

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Had a bottle of 12 Acres Pale Ale last night.
    thought it was really good and defo up there with the best of the Pale Ales' from Irish brewers which is getting to be a pretty crowded space.

Followed it up with a Founders Dirty Bastard...wow, thought this was stunning and really packs a kick with 8.5%

had an Tuatara Pale Ale recently as well....thought it was ok only.

had a few pints of OBrothers Chancer in Bierhaus a few weeks back. Really good, I hear that it will be bottled soon, so looking forward to that and hoping its a good in bottle as the draft.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's not really worth buying from them at the moment with the exchange rate being so bad.

£100 worth of beer with £19 delivery would set you back €170

I was thinking 2-4 bottles each at most. Those stone ipa's are not easy to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had A Coisbo Astoria Black last night. It was ok but not up there with the best of them. Had some nice roasted malts but lacked a bit of body which then gave it an alcohol bite. Also thought it had a strong hint of ginger which I'm not a huge fan of

I was thinking 2-4 bottles each at most. Those stone ipa's are not easy to come by.

Actually changed my mind, not worth it at this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I've stopped purchasing premium import beers as of late.

I figure that between all the independent Irish breweries out there at the moment, there are a lot of decent hoppy beers being produced at home that are of equal quality, reasonably priced & fresh to boot...Eight Degrees/Trouble Brewing being among some of the best IMHO

Mesrine65 wrote: »

I figure that between all the independent Irish breweries out there at the moment, there are a lot of decent hoppy beers being produced at home that are of equal quality, reasonably priced & fresh to boot...Eight Degrees/Trouble Brewing being among some of the best IMHO

That is probably way to go but still. Always want to try dogfish head ballast point and stone, after that my life would be complete.

I'd say I buy 70% ish Irish beers, but there's just no Irish breweries that can satisfy my craving for lovely Belgian classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Thought Jack Cody's grapefruit ipa was ok, bit oxidised, and tastes more like a BIPA, but I was expecting worse, although I wouldn't get it again I'd say...8 degrees nomad was decent.

Anybody tried kentucky's old fashioned ale ?

Finally got my hands on a Holy Cowbell by Beavertown, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

jsa112 wrote: »
    Thought Jack Cody's grapefruit ipa was ok, bit oxidised, and tastes more like a BIPA, but I was expecting worse, although I wouldn't get it again I'd say...8 degrees nomad was decent.

Anybody tried kentucky's old fashioned ale ?

I had the Cody's recently in their brewery and thought it was ok. The Earl Grey flavour was a bit odd in it but not altogether unpleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Kinda drifting the same way myself.
    Trouble, Galway Bay and 8 Degrees are all excellent brewers so I don't see the need to fork out extra for beers that may not be worth the extra €.

• Advertisement

Kinnegar too, who's specials have been mostly top notch beers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement