Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Kinnegar too, who's specials have been mostly top notch beers.

Throw Blacks into the hat too. KPA is my go to session beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Heroditas wrote: »
    Kinda drifting the same way myself.
    Trouble, Galway Bay and 8 Degrees are all excellent brewers so I don't see the need to fork out extra for beers that may not be worth the extra €.

Lets face it. Fresh three floyds or omnipollo would crash to the ground any beer from galway bay.
    That is the botton line.
    Just coz they have to travel 5000km to get here that os why local craft is better option.

There is a reason why the alchemist or stone are sold out all the time.

Plus 6€ for a bottle of galway bay is not nesessery a steal....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Rumun wrote: »
    Lets face it. Fresh three floyds or omnipollo would crash to the ground any beer from galway bay.
    That is the botton line.
    Just coz they have to travel 5000km to get here that os why local craft is better option.

There is a reason why the alchemist or stone are sold out all the time.

Plus 6€ for a bottle of galway bay is not nesessery a steal....

Doesn't matter in the slightest though when I imagine the majority of us will never taste it fresh, or at least only drink it so rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Tonights haul has proven to be most excellent!

3 each of Galway bay Full Sail & O Hara's Foreign Affair. Couple of James Brown Chocolate Orange Stout.

First time having any of them and I must say im v impressed with the Full Sail. Its tastes incredibly fresh, cant see a brew date but the best before date is August 2016. Really liking the Foreign Affair as well, tis malty! The Chocolate Orange stout is eagerly anticipated!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You probably should've had the stout first.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter in the slightest though when I imagine the majority of us will never taste it fresh, or at least only drink it so rarely.

Beavertown avaiable to everyone fabtastic brew. Tool and mikkellers also fresh avaiable in good off licences modus is everywhere solid beer, naparbier not so expensive at all list go on and on mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Got Nomad the new 8 degrees hoppy lager in the beerhouse. When comparing Troubles take on the style I have to say that Troubles is a lot better take for me. A refreshing lager with a hoppy after taste. Nomad is one tough pint packed full hops (nice hops though :P) without the malt you'd expect in an IPA, as it's a lager, which makes it very tough.....

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You probably should've had the stout first.

I tend to like finishing off on Stouts rather starting with them when Im mixing my beers.

I'll be returning to the local off licence to buy as much of the Full Sail as I can possibly carry. Cant believe I haven't tried it previously. I presume its available on tap in the Galway Bay pubs??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Trond wrote: »
    I'll be returning to the local off licence to buy as much of the Full Sail as I can possibly carry. Cant believe I haven't tried it previously. I presume its available on tap in the Galway Bay pubs??

Yep, join Beoir and you'll get €10 worth of vouchers for their pints too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say I buy 70% ish Irish beers, but there's just no Irish breweries that can satisfy my craving for lovely Belgian classics.

Have you tried Radikale Rubenesque?
    Irish beer made by a Belgian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

irish_goat wrote: »
    Yep, join Beoir and you'll get €10 worth of vouchers for their pints too. ;)

Shill!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I tend to like finishing off on Stouts rather starting with them when Im mixing my beers.

The problem with that is, if you start with particularly hoppy beers like IPAs, and then go onto a stout, a lot of the subtleties can be lost from the dulling of your tastebuds from all the initial hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Have you tried Radikale Rubenesque?
    Irish beer made by a Belgian

No, but now I have an idea of what to look for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

No, but now I have an idea of what to look for tonight

The Mescans range are also brewed to Belgian styles, by a Belgian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The Mescans range are also brewed to Belgian styles, by a Belgian
    another great tip.

I'll be in ireland now at the end of August for 2 weeks and will have to try some of the beers mentioned as they sound like they might even be drinkable.

The alternative is to wash my mouth with some mildly diluted acid to kill as many taste buds as possible in order to cope with the hoppy madness that constitutes craft beer in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

the hoppy madness that constitutes craft beer in Ireland.

Ah heyor.

Yannaroddy, Leann Follain, Buried At Sea, Russian Imperial 8 Degrees, Dark Arts, JW Sweetmans Porter, Wrasslers.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

Had 4 bottles of Little Creature's Return of the Dread Extra Stout. An outstanding seasonal brew that packs a punch without the alcohol aftertaste. Quite easy to drink and plenty of complex flavours.

The highlight was a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout (double chocolate coffee oatmeal). Just delicious with a depth of flavor and the glorious smoothness due to the addition of the oatmeal. One of the nicest beers I have ever tasted and definitely a winter warmer at 8.3%.

Anyone know of any off licences other than drinkstore that sell the Left hand Nitro Stout?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone know of any off licences other than drinkstore that sell the Left hand Nitro Stout?
    McHugh's, Martin's. I'd say any of the decent ones would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Pretty positive I've seen it in redmonds and baggot street wine.

• Advertisement

Cheers gents

I'm going to pick some up in Sweeneys in Phibsboro as its closest to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Having a few cans of Founders Centennial. I need to get my enjoyment in now as tomorrow im back in the west in the local surrounded by fosters!

Tipopils from italian birrificio

Quite nice actually something new.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My girlfriend bought me a bottle of Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout as a surprise. Perfect end to a Friday evening. #TrueLove

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Got a bottle of trouble brewing graffiti. First time tasting it and its mega. My new go to session beer. Can't believe it's only 3.6% lovely Amarillo flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Bought both Northern and Southern Hemispheres by Sierra Nevada, have had both in the past and enjoyed them, even at the crazy price. First having a Foreign Affair, decent enough.
    Picked up two Jack Cody's Puck Pilsner for the missus. First one was totally undrinkable, tastes like an ashtray. Smells fine, looks fine, tastes shocking. :(
    Don't think we'll bother with the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Got a bottle of trouble brewing graffiti. First time tasting it and its mega. My new go to session beer. Can't believe it's only 3.6% lovely Amarillo flavour.

Where did you get it?

Oh, as for what I was drinking tonight, had a couple of pints of Franciscan Well Chieftain IPA in the Exchequer earlier.
    Except it wasn't Chieftain, it was Rebel Red.
    Didn't bother telling them because Rebel Red is far nicer but I had to laugh when the barman had to change kegs and I was thinking that I'd get a pint of Chieftain with the new keg but he returned with another point of Red. Ah well ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Tell me that stuff is in Drinkstore....

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Tell me that stuff is in Drinkstore....
    It's not out just get, very very soon though! Sample bottles were given out to some offies. I was lucky enough to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

An File wrote: »
    #TrueLove

With the stout or the missus? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement