Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Alliss Quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

One of the best the weekend was Thursday evening at the end of the show.. "Speith... how old is he?... 21? ..... he's 21 longer than my aunts been 39"...

The dinosaur is going to be replaced by the SKY SPORTS genetically modified monster with multiple ad breaks instead of sweeping wildlife and smooth linguistic brilliance. I wish this dinosaur could live on, progress is overated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Senna wrote: »
    Sadly it is moving on and golf coverage will be worse without him.

His humour is excellent and i love his useless information, "And Johnson has ended up in mcduffs hollow were Chester Bottomsworth hit a baffler off the road and ricochet off a goat that wandered onto course in the 1907 British Open.

the goat sadly didn't make it".

He's the last of the great commentators - Richie Benaud, Ted Lowe, Bill McLaren, Murray Walker, Peter Alliss. His humour isn't for everyone but I absolutely love it, and it'll be a sad day when he's no longer behind the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Things only annoy you if you let them annoy you.

Or maybe if you have personal standards that are in line with the majority of people in a civilized and modern society?

Some of the stuff he said yesterday was a disgrace. The fact he's being celebrated on here is a little concerning to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

They were talking about golfer's walks yesterday at one point and he said something along the lines of 'Harrington has the walk of a sailor who's just come ashore after a few months at sea"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Or maybe if you have personal standards that are in line with the majority of people in a civilized and modern society?

Some of the stuff he said yesterday was a disgrace. The fact he's being celebrated on here is a little concerning to say the least

I prefer to be concerned at some of the horrible things going on in the world, rather than the observations of a sports commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

i love the way he commentates on how golfers walk!

"i collect walks"
    "Padraig Harrington. He walks like he is a sailor who has been around the world and has just come ashore":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

He pushes the envelope alright, but the wittiness he shows and his use of language is fantastic, I will miss his commentary's.

The Harrington quote yesterday had me in fits,

BTW its ok to like or not like him, just don't tell others how they should feel..

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Talking about Gary Players just now and his fitness regime " There was a rumor that he drown in a bowl of muesli - a strong current pulled him in"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Talking about Gary Players just now and his fitness regime " There was a rumor that he drown in a bowl of muesli - a strong current pulled him in"

He must have got that one out of a fortune cookie down the local Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

One of my favourites was about player when allis said the more he practises the luckier he gets...classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

simon334 wrote: »
    Camara zooms out from an Evian water stand, "amazing timing Evian have, if you think about it, thousands of years filtering though the alps and get it you with a best before in August"

Genius........

Wow, I am stealing this line. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I'd be more worried that people are taking offence to what he says rather than worrying about him saying it.. It's looking for something to be outraged about and it is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'd be more worried that people are taking offence to what he says rather than worrying about him saying it.. It's looking for something to be outraged about and it is everywhere.

Exactly the two boyo's on this thread should head on over to the bland sky sports appreciation thread if a few of us remember Peter's finer moments and you don't like it move along you've made your point. Remember,he is from an era where political correctness didn't exist. Society in general have gone from one extreme to the other which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

One from Thursday which I forgot to put up.

When the big South Africian Ryan Fox took to the first tee, Alliss made the following gem of a comment:

"Ooohhhh he's a big fella. As my grandmother used to say, he has trousers full of legs."

Exactly the two boyo's on this thread should head on over to the bland sky sports appreciation thread if a few of us remember Peter's finer moments and you don't like it move along you've made your point. Remember,he is from an era where political correctness didn't exist. Society in general have gone from one extreme to the other which is a shame.

Being from an era where political correctness didn't exist is a very weak argument unfortunately.Actually its just an excuse.What else can we file under that?

You (and a couple of your 'Thankers') on this thread have made your position clear which is disappointing.

Its really not the responsibility of people on this thread to educate you on what is acceptable in the modern world.

I would however like to help and point you in the direction of some kind of Racism Awareness or Diversity course.

I'll PM you if I see something appropriate

Thanks
    Domo

Just for the record I find Peter Alliss very entertaining and enjoy him generally. I also think that Sky provides a lot of brilliant golf coverage but there is a reason that the Sky lads/ladies are not running around making comments about 'Lads in the jungle' like Alliss did on Sunday. I'll leave it to you to work out why....or to dismiss it as 'bland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Thanks Domo I think I'm working that day so I'll have to give that course a miss.

I like him, he'll be sorely missed I think. Always enjoyed his randomness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

DellyBelly wrote: »
    One of my favourites was about player when allis said the more he practises the luckier he gets...classic

I'm pretty sure Player himself said that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Being from an era where political correctness didn't exist is a very weak argument unfortunately.Actually its just an excuse.What else can we file under that?

You (and a couple of your 'Thankers') on this thread have made your position clear which is disappointing.

Its really not the responsibility of people on this thread to educate you on what is acceptable in the modern world.

I would however like to help and point you in the direction of some kind of Racism Awareness or Diversity course.

Thanks
    Domo
    Attack the post and not the poster. Oh and leave the modding to us

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Not really a golf fan myself, but I enjoyed watching the playoff yesterday. Peter Alliss, I find kind of annoying, though I suppose he has a good voice for the dramatic moments. But...just as Zac Johnson is about to win the Open, the camera does a close up on Kim Johnson and ..did Alliss really say that she was thinking that she would get a new kitchen if the putt went in? I though maybe I had mis-heard that one, but seems he actually said it. Good God....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Koobcam wrote: »
    Not really a golf fan myself, but I enjoyed watching the playoff yesterday. Peter Alliss, I find kind of annoying, though I suppose he has a good voice for the dramatic moments. But...just as Zac Johnson is about to win the Open, the camera does a close up on Kim Johnson and ..did Alliss really say that she was thinking that she would get a new kitchen if the putt went in? I though maybe I had mis-heard that one, but seems he actually said it. Good God....

He's not wrong though, she hardly outearns Johnson, therefore his winnings will be used.
    In my line of work when bonus season comes round it's peak season for kitchens, extensions and bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Koobcam wrote: »

What exactly is wrong with saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

tobsey wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Player himself said that.

No it was Alliss who said it about Player...great line

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Sorry to correct you but it was the great man himself Gary Player who uttered that gem.

Got this from golf digest. Great story to accompany great quote.

"I was practicing in a bunker down in Texas and this good old boy with a big hat stopped to watch. The first shot he saw me hit went in the hole. He said, "You got 50 bucks if you knock the next one in." I holed the next one. Then he says, "You got $100 if you hole the next one." In it went for three in a row. As he peeled off the bills he said, "Boy, I've never seen anyone so lucky in my life." And I shot back, "Well, the harder I practice, the luckier I get." That's where the quote originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭paulos53

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/14/luck/

From Gary Player's book "Gary Player’s Golf Secrets” published in 1962
    Once Jerry Barber, a great sand player, was practicing bunker shots. He hit one ball near the flag. The next shot went in.
    A person watching Jerry told him: “Gee, you sure are a lucky trap shot player.”
    “Yes, I know,” Jerry replied. “And the harder I practice, the luckier I get.”

Gary must have liked that story so much he made it his own and let it grow legs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Again with the kitchen comment, ive yet to meet a man who decides its time to redecorate a kitchen.

but im sure the people waiting to take offence are wringing their hands with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Again with the kitchen comment, ive yet to meet a man who decides its time to redecorate a kitchen.

but im sure the people waiting to take offence are wringing their hands with excitement.

Yes, the usual suspects were out on Twitter expressing outrage and the BBC as usual caved in to the thought police and issued a sort-of apology.

Twitter really is a godsend for whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Thanks
    Domo
    Racism Awareness course :D:D:pac: You're great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Thanks
    Domo

God what an awful condescending post :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement