Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Alliss Quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

"Neither line nor pace."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Just listened to this - very enjoyable, the time just flies listening to him.....such a simple outlook on things and very nice to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

After tiger winning one of his british opens i remember the camera zooming in on his then wife elin nordegren and Alliss saying

"oooohh i say, tiger is in for a little treat tonight!! -Pause- dinner and wine of course"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Enjoyed his Newstalk interview. He's an easy man to listen to. What a way to wrap up the interview, totally off the cuff, talking about Ireland and playing here over the years and how he enjoyed it: 'memories are better than dreams'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Enjoyed his Newstalk interview. He's an easy man to listen to. What a way to wrap up the interview, totally off the cuff, talking about Ireland and playing here over the years and how he enjoyed it: 'memories are better than dreams'.

Was class.

He is a very interesting man.

Besides his commentary - his own story is interesting.

Could be a good book to read ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Was class.

He is a very interesting man.

Besides his commentary - his own story is interesting.

Could be a good book to read ?

He's had a few books over the years I think, one main life story about 10 years ago. Never read it but must. Would be tough as a ghost writer I'd say to capture his voice in print. Might go something like; 'My dear old friend Fix, he snuck a little seven iron onto the first green in Corballis and walked away as proud as punch. My oh my.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Peter Alis , a gentleman and legend in his commentaries !:D

Sky must win him over. The Open will not be the same without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 simon334

Camara zooms out from an Evian water stand, "amazing timing Evian have, if you think about it, thousands of years filtering though the alps and get it you with a best before in August"

Genius........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Someone help me here. I seem to remember a BBC compilation from a few years ago where Greg Norman is hitting a shot into the 17th/18th and due to a technical glitch Alliss' voice booms out over a tannoy explaining what's facing Norman....

Norman backs off the shot laughing and says out loud :: " Is he gonna tell me out to play the shot ? "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

I can't remember it exactly, but he was on commentary duty and commenting on how having children can adversely affect the performance of a golfer. He wrapped it up by adding: "having said all that Jack Nicklaus had a wonderful career and he was married with children in his early 20's. Yes, Jack was very....prolific at a young age!"

Made even better when you imagine it being said with a wry smile and in that dry delivery. He will be sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Looks like he's just added another classic quote.

"Looks like his mother, or perhaps he just likes older women". In reference to Paul Dunne walking off the the 18th and hugging an older woman.

Classic Alliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I believe he referred to Wiesberber wearing a snood as 'poncey' that amused me!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

See the young guy busking on the bag pipes and when these guys who looked Indian/Pakistan passed by he said 'they wouldn't put anything in'

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

See the young guy busking on the bag pipes and when these guys who looked Indian/Pakistan passed by he said 'they wouldn't put anything in'

Ha ha I noticed that remark at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I think he said something like this today:

"It's great to have a beautiful bird come towards you"

He was talking about a seagull flying towards the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Been a few casually racist (and borderline sexist) quotes from him this weekend but to be expected.

Still can't believe this buffoon is seen a some sort of national treasure by the Brits but again they were blinded by the BBC over Saville and his ilk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The camera showed someone windsurfing the other day and Alliss said something about trying that a few years back with Laura Davies standing on his shoulders :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ronney wrote: »
    One of his best was

"I got aroused watching Carol Vorderman on countdowns the other day .

..........seven letters........not bad!"

the extra long pause and the laughing in the background. majestic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The lady reporter on the radio said today that Schwartzel was unlucky 'to have a crow pecking his ball'

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Been a few casually racist (and borderline sexist) quotes from him this weekend but to be expected.

Still can't believe this buffoon is seen a some sort of national treasure by the Brits but again they were blinded by the BBC over Saville and his ilk too.

He can be very entertaining and Golf needs commentators like that.

• Advertisement

<Mod snip>

Double standards IMO and golf certainly doesn't need him. The sport has moved on from these dinosaurs.

His Nick Kyrgios quote was the equivalent to Jade Goody calling Shilpa Shetty, Shilpa Popadom. The only difference is, he's a white middle class stuck up buffoon and she was deemed pond scum. She was castigated over her quote but he's lauded...... :rolleyes:

Double standards IMO and golf certainly doesn't need him. The sport has moved on from these dinosaurs.

Things only annoy you if you let them annoy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think the world needs people like that. A refreshing break from the ultra politically correct craze that has taken over society.

Things only annoy you if you let them annoy you.

So casual racism should be ignored?

So casual racism should be ignored?

I was often called a "Paddy" while working in England.
    I didn't feel it was racist and didn't feel insulted.

I was often called a "Paddy" while working in England.
    I didn't feel it was racist and didn't feel insulted.

Paddy is a derogatory term irrespective of what you feel. I couldn't care less if some low IQ dick in the street calls me it but if someone working for a publicly funded broadcaster used it, then questions should be asked. Alliss not only represents the BBC but also golf; it's not a good image to purveying.

I think the world needs people like that. A refreshing break from the ultra politically correct craze that has taken over society.

So it's Nick Kyrgios's fault? Nothing ultra politically correct in pointing out that double standards are at play.

Paddy is a derogatory term irrespective of what you feel. I couldn't care less if some low IQ dick in the street calls me it but if someone working for a publicly funded broadcaster used it, then questions should be asked. Alliss not only represents the BBC but also golf; it's not a good image to purveying.

What did he say that irked you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The sport has moved on from these dinosaurs.

Sadly it is moving on and golf coverage will be worse without him.

His humour is excellent and i love his useless information, "And Johnson has ended up in mcduffs hollow were Chester Bottomsworth hit a baffler off the road and ricochet off a goat that wandered onto course in the 1907 British Open.

the goat sadly didn't make it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

The dinosaur is going to be replaced by the SKY SPORTS genetically modified monster with multiple ad breaks instead of sweeping wildlife and smooth linguistic brilliance. I wish this dinosaur could live on, progress is overated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement