Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish anti-Islamic group protests mosque in Kerry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Have to say, there's a frightening amount of horseshìt being posted in this thread.

While we're on the subject, 1-in-2 of my family are descended from the goddess Venus, 80% of gay Turks are clearly smarter than Western gays as they oppose SSM, being gay is punishable by beheading outside the EU, the Irish are racially diverse, and Political Correctness, a system of coerced social engineering that first arose in the 1990's, is liberal.

That people here are democratically enfranchised is way more frightening than Islam, TBH. If they took the warning labels off products, this thread would have five posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Have to say, there's a frightening amount of horseshìt being posted in this thread.

While we're on the subject, 1-in-2 of my family are descended from the goddess Venus, 80% of gay Turks are clearly smarter than Western gays as they oppose SSM, being gay is punishable by beheading outside the EU, the Irish are racially diverse, and Political Correctness, a system of coerced social engineering that first arose in the 1990's, is liberal.

That people here are democratically enfranchised is way more frightening than Islam, TBH. If they took the warning labels off products, this thread would have five posts.

That's made my Saturday. Thread warning should read "May contain Nuts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

wakka12 wrote: »
    Gay marriage is legal in a large number of Christian countries, and homosexuality is perfectly normal and legal in almost every christian country bar say Russia.
    Good job leaving out the fact that there over over THIRTY countries where Christianity is the biggest religion and homosexuality is illegal. If you take out the 'western/developed' world countries (Europe, Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand), homosexuality is illegal in approximately 1-in-3 Christian countries.

LGBT rights and lack thereof have an awful, awful lot more than "Bible vs. Qur'an vs other texts" to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Can someone link me a glossary? I'm getting lost in acronyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Um no, people always try to defend muslim bigotry by comparing it to Christians. Gay marriage is legal in a large number of Christian countries, and homosexuality is perfectly normal and legal in almost every christian country bar say Russia. While in almost every muslim country homosexuality is completely unacceptable and punishable by death in some!And muslims don't give two ****s about that

SO really trying to make a case that Christians are as bigoted towards homosexuals as muslims are is complete liberal bull****
    its not liberal anything of the sort. the majority of muslim countries are ran by dictators or nutjob governments who would slaughter anyone in their country for questioning their authority. still doesn't change the fact a number of christians are bigoted and homophobic though

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I just don't approve of a group of people who don't believe in equality setting up mosques in a liberal country
    we should close the churches then. or, you could get over it and worry about your own life rather then things that don't actually effect you

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nodin wrote: »
    Jaysus help ye if ye come across some of the pentacostals or the 'wee frees'.

Banning religion doesn't work, and is as an arseways idea as making its beliefs mandatory.

Yeah, totally, may as well invite even more followers of an even more oppressive religion set up mosques here.

we should close the churches then. or, you could get over it and worry about your own life rather then things that don't actually effect you

A religion supported by extremely homophobic followers which is growing in prominence in Ireland will have an effect on my life as a gay man actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeah, totally, may as well invite even more followers of an even more oppressive religion set up mosques here.

That doesn't answer the main points raised, however. In a secular state, they can believe what they want, you can believe what you want.

Wakka, I would appreciate it if you could get back to explaining how all Christian countries (apart from Russia) are completely fine with homosexuality, despite it being illegal in over 30 countries where Christianity is the biggest religion, and roughly one-in-three countries classifying it as illegal once you exclude Europe/USA/Canada/Australia/NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Sounds like their trying to go back to the year 0 like the Khemer Rouge.

A religion supported by extremely homophobic followers which is growing in prominence in Ireland will have an effect on my life as a gay man actually.

Leave Catholicism out of it mate, will just muddy the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Meh. Ultra conservative Christians protesting a foreign counterpart religion from gaining anymore prominence in Ireland. I can't see anything negative about it, even if it is scaremongering too. If I were to protest anymore christian places of worship from being constructed, I doubt it would get any batted eyelids from those who have a problem with this protest.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wakka, I would appreciate it if you could get back to explaining how all Christian countries (apart from Russia) are completely fine with homosexuality, despite it being illegal in over 30 countries where Christianity is the biggest religion, and roughly one-in-three countries classifying it as illegal once you exclude Europe/USA/Canada/Australia/NZ.

Mhm you are correct. 1 in 3 is still a lot less than the almost 100% of muslims countries.

So are we now to discriminate against Muslims? Is this really coming from a gay person? Its not OK to discriminate against homosexuals, but Muslims are fair game because you don't agree with them?
    How fcuked up is that.
    Maybe we need an example how discrimination against a group of people has ever been a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Muckracker

So are we now to discriminate against Muslims? Is this really coming from a gay person? Its not OK to discriminate against homosexuals, but Muslims are fair game because you don't agree with them?
    How fcuked up is that.

Why on earth would gays support the Muslims? That's like Jews supporting the Nazis!

Muckracker wrote: »
    Why on earth would gays support the Muslims? That's like Jews supporting the Nazis!

I've known a few in my time. My Turkish, Tunisian and Moroccan friends would thank you not to be called Nazis you drunk Irish terrorist.
    Generalisation are never right.

edit:
    IRA comparison only for illustration purposes, if anyone feels upset about it, you are absolutely right. And that was the point.

How fcuked up is that.
    Maybe we need an example how discrimination against a group of people has ever been a good thing.

I would respect Muslim beliefs if it didnt involve discriminating against me in the first place, but oh well, the worlds not perfect! There arent that many muslims in the UK or Ireland, I have not been openly discriminated against on grounds of my sexual orientation very many times. Maybe 3 or 4 times , all by people of middle eastern background who were most likely muslim.

I would respect Muslim beliefs if it didnt involve discriminating against me in the first place, but oh well, the worlds not perfect! There arent that many muslims in the UK or Ireland, I have not been openly discriminated against on grounds of my sexual orientation very many times. Maybe 3 or 4 times , all by people of middle eastern background who were most likely muslim.

I don't agree with it either. And plenty of Christians also discriminate, one just needs to look towards the protests against equal marriage. Both the bible and the Koran would call to discriminate against gays.
    We are overcoming this and are learning to ignore rubbish written thousands of years ago. And not all Muslims are stuck in the stone age.
    But at the end if the day there is only two kinds of people. Nice people and arseholes. And they are to be found everywhere.

I don't agree with it either. And plenty of Christians also discriminate, one just needs to look towards the protests against equal marriage. Both the bible and the Koran would call to discriminate against gays.
    We are overcoming this and are learning to ignore rubbish written thousands of years ago. And not all Muslims are stuck in the stone age.
    But at the end if the day there is only two kinds of people. Nice people and arseholes. And they are to be found everywhere.

In a strange way I actually think Christians discriminate more against gays. They seem to think it's just a fad & their not really born like that & can be fixed.
    Muslims accept their gay & there's no changing them, although there's much a higher chance they'll be killed in a Muslim country.

• Advertisement

I've known a few in my time. My Turkish, Tunisian and Moroccan friends would thank you not to be called Nazis you drunk Irish terrorist.
    Generalisation are never right.

edit:
    IRA comparison only for illustration purposes, if anyone feels upset about it, you are absolutely right. And that was the point.

yeah but not all IRA's were terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

That doesn't answer the main points raised, however. In a secular state, they can believe what they want, you can believe what you want.
    This can work, but only provided that all involved accept that they live in a secular state and fully embrace both the rights, responsibilities and ideals of a secular state.

You don't have to go as far as to respect any kind of opinion. I know I certainly don't. People are indeed free to hold any kind of opinion, but someone made the mistake once to say we are to respect all opinions. I deeply disagree with that. If someone's opinion is a lot of sh*te, we should not pat him on the back and say "I respect you for your beliefs". The same way he/she is free to hold an opinion, we also then have the right to say "that is a load of horsemanure".
    The problem is that people are getting dumber and have started believing in grey aliens and reptilians secretly running the world, that the Earth is flat and 6000 years old, that gays are bad, that their God told them to blow up a lot of innocent people and so on and so forth.
    Anyone can hold any kind of opinion, but anyone else should also be free to call bullsh*t on them.

SeanW wrote: »
    This can work, but only provided that all involved accept that they live in a secular state and fully embrace both the rights, responsibilities and ideals of a secular state.

.....but you're always going to have some chancers who seem to think they have the right to impose their crap on others regardless. It's not worth singling out one group for abuse and protest on them grounds.

Mhm you are correct. 1 in 3 is still a lot less than the almost 100% of muslims countries.

OK, so now you've admitted to just making up the whole 'all Christian countries are graaaand with homosexuality' part in your head; you're not looking very credible.

And you only become less credible because in fact, homosexuality is legal in 1-in-3 nations where Islam is the biggest religion, and that is not even including the three countries in Europe where it is the biggest religion (Turkey, Albania and Bosnia) where it is legal in all three.

So...
    1. Every Christian nation in the world (barring Russia) are completely fine with being gay, not a bother at all with them about it. FALSE.
    2. Almost 100% of Muslim countries have outlawed homosexuality. FALSE.

It's time to just admit you were wrong and making things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

.....but you're always going to have some chancers who seem to think they have the right to impose their crap on others regardless. It's not worth singling out one group for abuse and protest on them grounds.

Aye, One could almost link being a fervent member of a conservative sky wizards group and being a bigot go hand in hand. Any sky wizards it does not matter.

Aye, One could almost link being a fervent member of a conservative sky wizards group and being a bigot go hand in hand. Any sky wizards it does not matter.

Sky wizardry certainly is to blame for the origins of a lot of it, certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

Sure as long as theyre all Catholic Muslims and not Protestant ones theyll be alright

Muckracker wrote: »

I know a couple of gay people who support the Palestinians, last time I checked about 75% of them were Muslim or maybe there just supporting the Christian ones.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

In a strange way I actually think Christians discriminate more against gays. They seem to think it's just a fad & their not really born like that & can be fixed.
    Muslims accept their gay & there's no changing them, although there's much a higher chance they'll be killed in a Muslim country.

Yes, Muslim nations are much better places for homosexuals. When they are not getting hanged from cranes and thrown off roofs they are treated very well. Are you on the wind up? Muslim countries are barbaric ****holes compared to the Christian west and how they treat women, homosexuals, the disabled etc. As for Muslims accepting that they are gay, wasn't it the Iranians who said that they don't have an issue with gays as there are none in their country!

Get off the stage, Mr 'Ra head.

Advertisement