Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is happening with Jurys/Ard Rí Hotel

• 17-12-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Its being lying idle for years now and is a huge eye sore. I always wondered how it got planning permission in the first place. Sure its beyond repair at this stage. Why can't they demolish it? It really is horrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

It reminds me of that monstrocity in Central Dublin ,Liberty Hall . Both need to be demolished .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Should have been razed to the ground years ago. Its a blot on the landscape, an eyesore overlooking the city.

The City Council have the power to demolish is and invoice the owners, but they don't have the guts to do it.

So best to just leave it rot there and make the city look terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Nothing is the answer,IMO it has a minus value because the cost of taking down the building outweighs the value of the land, and it is a useless deign for a modern hotel .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

This was uploaded in Jan 2011. Would nearly make you cry. Such a shame to let it go like this. Used to go up there often enough to the hotel and the gym. Looks like something from Chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is it all still there with just the hoarding on the front? You would think the cost of putting a car around it was more than demolishing it? Maybe not when the rubble had to be removed.

I think it says beautiful location for a hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

deadybai wrote: »
    This was uploaded in Jan 2011. Would nearly make you cry. Such a shame to let it go like this. Used to go up there often enough to the hotel and the gym. Looks like something from Chernobyl.

Some venue for a disaster/zombie film!

For a quick demolition ,get in the old I.R.A .THEY DONE A GREAT JOB WITH NELSONS PILLAR .(though i did not agree with that ,as they could just have took off Nelson himself at the very top .) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Wasn't there a castle on that site before? Does anyone know the name of it and any history about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

Flemings Castle was on the site before being demolished to make way for the hotel i believe...dont know any of its history though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I would rather see the old grain mills go first tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I would rather see the old grain mills go first tbh

could not agree more.....
    the ard ri now it boarded up doesnt look to bad, the mills are appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

I wouldnt like to see the Ard ri go to be honest,this could have been a landmark building had it not been left go to rack and ruin! It still has amazing views for a hotel which hopefully it can be restored to in time.Deff agree with above posts the North Quays are in a awful condition with parts on the mill starting to fall down now!.Until the Ard ri is sold or whatever happens I think it should have art work painted on it or something rather than just the current white colouring!

How long is it closed .I lived in Waterford City for several years up to around March 2008 .I think it was still open then ,or not ?

anto9 wrote: »
    How long is it closed .I lived in Waterford City for several years up to around March 2008 .I think it was still open then ,or not ?

I think it was around that stage. When it closed. Not sure of the exact date. Im 100% it was closed destroyed by 2010 because was a Kilkenny 'Drive for Five' poster painted on the top.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055410375
    Here ya go. November 2008 was when this thread was started and from the comments it was smashed up by then.

This article was uploaded in 2010. Says it was closed 4 years then. Not so sure about that
    http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/heartbreak-hotel/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Closed in 2006 if my debs memories are in tact

Closed in 2006 if my debs memories are in tact

Jeanie it doesnt seem that long. The fecking state of it in this photo. Surely its beyond repair.

ArdRiDerelict.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FestyOSemtex

If only those walls could talk. I'd say there was some load of women rode in that place down through the years.

It just about signifies the state of the property market in Waterford ,even yet .Wish i had just 30 k to buy an Apartment ,by the river near the peoples park .

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

If the walls could talk:
    "Please...let me die...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

lazeedaisy wrote: »

5yr old thread :rolleyes:

danjo-xx wrote: »
    5yr old thread :rolleyes:

I realise how old it was when I posted :rolleyes, thought it answered some of the questions on dates etc,

If you feel to added nothing to the forum I am happy to take it down, I thought it was interesting,

It's nice to CHAT, I guess you meet all sorts here huh :D

The 5 year old post was interesting as if gave a lot more detail ,and gave a time line .Thanks for that .

The OP asked
    What is happening with Jurys/Ard Rí Hotel

It was from this point of view that I rolled my eyes over a 5yr old thread.

This thread like most, went off topic, I stayed on topic.

Anyway hope ye all have a good and safe wan!

Sled-01-june.gif

Pedantic pat,

During the forum other questions were asked, I thought I was offering another perspective,

You win,

I bet it's lonely at the top!

To be honest,

In fairness,

Staying on topic and proud,

Not a great award to win,

The best forums go off topic

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    To be honest,

In fairness,

Staying on topic and proud,

Not a great award to win, I'm just following the forum rules and not out to win anything.

The best forums go off topic
    So why have mods then!

There are special off topic forums anyway if thats your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

How in God's name can such a building be left derelict for nearly 10 years in such a prominent situation.

What's wrong with this town? Does anyone give a $hit? Or is everything OK because it's wrapped up in a bit of plastic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

I cant understand why they cant let Spraoi or some artists do an art piece on it or something better that just the white box look now! Is it still in Nama or was it bought?

Advertisement