Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Can Hurler or Hi Load M be used as a post emergence spray where no clover in reseed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Anyone much exsperience with top5 exstend grass seeds?..looking to reseed a field in september for turning out ewes and lambs in march

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

RobinBanks wrote: »
    @JDI. Just wondering what was the thinking behind adding Aberchoice and Drumbo to your mix? Looking at the stats they are both very similar.
    No particular reason. Just selected a 4 way mix with a certain % tetraploid. I think it's 9kg diploid and 4kg tetraploid? The 9kg is split between 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Anyone much exsperience with top5 exstend grass seeds?..looking to reseed a field in september for turning out ewes and lambs in march

We've used it before, have done about 25 acres with it so far. Found it quite good, we've used both the silage and grazing mixes. What mix are thinking of using?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

I reseeded 12 acres and it is flying. Topped it last week as annual weeds were starting to race ahead of the grass. I'm very happy with the job so far. I spent about 14 hrs gathering stones and have most lifted - no big ones left!!!!

I originally intended to graze 50 ewes and 30 lambs but it's far too rich and long now and I have enough grass in 3 other paddocks. It got 3 bags of 18 6 12 / acre. I will now cut it mid August - I'm a bit concerned about stones!!!! I lifted a lot of stones but I've surly missed some...

Any opinions are most welcome....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

DK man wrote: »
    I reseeded 12 acres and it is flying. Topped it last week as annual weeds were starting to race ahead of the grass. I'm very happy with the job so far. I spent about 14 hrs gathering stones and have most lifted - no big ones left!!!!

I originally intended to graze 50 ewes and 30 lambs but it's far too rich and long now and I have enough grass in 3 other paddocks. It got 3 bags of 18 6 12 / acre. I will now cut it mid August - I'm a bit concerned about stones!!!! I lifted a lot of stones but I've surly missed some...

Have you grazes it at all?
    I'd advise against mowing a reseed in its 1st yr.
    It would tiller out as well

Second graze on Abergain.
    14 days after 1st
    should have gone in at day ten. Grew 170 a day last week.
    cows left meal behind them last 2 milkings there that full

14 days after 1st

14 days after 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Nothing wrong with mowing (topping)...
    Its the letting the reseed get to silage stage thats a big no no for tillering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

DK man wrote: »

Just on the stones, would you roll in the back end?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

No didn't graze it - I had intended grazing it but it's too strong - ewes are fat enough on the grazing they have... I topped it and it's growing strongly...

I didn't roll it as I don't have a roller and not sure my 35 would be fit to pull a heavy roller!!!!

Gave our 6 acres a shot of legumex today, it was seeded the last week of may. Its flying now, looking forward to getting it grazed. Would i be right in saying to wait 10 days after the spray? Sprayed off another 7 while we were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

raypallas wrote: »
    Gave our 6 acres a shot of legumex today, it was seeded the last week of may. Its flying now, looking forward to getting it grazed. Would i be right in saying to wait 10 days after the spray? Sprayed off another 7 while we were at it.

Will Legumex protect the clover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

lads, new to this, might get an opinion of the more experienced;
    reseeding an old meadow that hasn't been reseeded in over 35 years.
    going with a an early grazing mix for sheep & sucklers;
    3kg Tyrella
    3kg Abergain
    3kg Aberchoice
    3kg Astonenergy

presume it's decent?

hope to spray off ground with gallup 360, leave for 3 weeks.

i got soil analysis last spring & the field requires lime, that should be spread before the power harrow right?
    would i be able to put gran lime out with spreader before harrowing.

any thoughts much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

jfh wrote: »
    lads, new to this, might get an opinion of the more experienced;
    reseeding an old meadow that hasn't been reseeded in over 35 years.
    going with a an early grazing mix for sheep & sucklers;
    3kg Tyrella
    3kg Abergain
    3kg Aberchoice
    3kg Astonenergy

presume it's decent?

hope to spray off ground with gallup 360, leave for 3 weeks.

i got soil analysis last spring & the field requires lime, that should be spread before the power harrow right?
    would i be able to put gran lime out with spreader before harrowing.

any thoughts much appreciated

Is that a 50:50 tetraploid diploid mix? For grazing should have higher percentage of diploid. Working off memory here with your mix so could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Is that a 50:50 tetraploid diploid mix? For grazing should have higher percentage of diploid. Working off memory here with your mix so could be wrong

Count, tyrella is the only diploid, the rest are all tetraploids. i'm thinking it's a good mix if it's sold like that.

would i be better to put out gran lime before harrowing or push out ground lime a few months later onto the new grass seed?

edit : i read somewhere that a grazing mix should be <40% tetraploids
    this mix goes against that.

anyone have experience of using similar mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

jfh wrote: »
    Count, tyrella is the only diploid, the rest are all tetraploids. i'm thinking it's a good mix if it's sold like that.

would i be better to put out gran lime before harrowing or push out ground lime a few months later onto the new grass seed?

aberchoice is also a diploid so its a 50/50mix

running the mix through the ppi your looking at the following outcome

your mix has a ppi of £155
    spring growth value of £29
    summer growth value of £41
    autumn growth value of £38
    quality value of £42
    silage value of £12
    persistency of £-7 thing this equates to 11 years of production.
    and an nice close heading date for all varieties.
    looks a well balanced mix of grass seed to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

browned wrote: »
    aberchoice is also a diploid so its a 50/50mix

running the mix through the ppi your looking at the following outcome

your mix has a ppi of £155
    spring growth value of £29
    summer growth value of £41
    autumn growth value of £38
    quality value of £42
    silage value of £12
    persistency of £-7 thing this equates to 11 years of production.
    and an nice close heading date for all varieties.
    looks a well balanced mix of grass seed to be honest

How / where you work that out Browned?
    Is the PPI online, or is only available to Teagasc customers?

Will Legumex protect the clover?

It says it should, but time will tell!

• Advertisement

How / where you work that out Browned?
    Is the PPI online, or is only available to Teagasc customers?

http://www.agresearch.teagasc.ie/moorepark/PastureProfitIndex/ppts/TeagascPastureProfitIndex2015.pdf

its on the moorepark homepage. hopefully this is a link

since the mix is using 4 grass varieties of equal quantity all you do is add up the economic values for each trail and divide by 4 to get the average
    for example on spring growth the 4 values for each of the grasses are £41+42+24+10=£117/4=£29

How do you work out how many years persistence Browned ?
    -€7 = 11 years ??

Robson99 wrote: »
    How do you work out how many years persistence Browned ?
    -€7 = 11 years ??

asked one of the researcher at the mp open day. he said -11 equated to 10 years and -28 equated to 8 years. obviously management has a huge factor to play in this. think 0 is 12 years so just went half way with the -7 and said 11

Going with the following mix for predominately grazing fields
    Abergain. 3kg
    Aston Energy. 3kg
    Aberchoice. 5kg
    Glenveagh. 4kg

15kg per acre. 60% dip 40% tet. Thoughts???

Going with the following mix for predominately grazing fields
    Abergain. 3kg
    Aston Energy. 3kg
    Aberchoice. 5kg
    Glenveagh. 4kg

15kg per acre. 60% dip 40% tet. Thoughts???

Looks a solid enough mix. How does it work out ppi wise? Abergain, aberchoice and Aston energy seem to be the most popular combination of grasses out there. Is that the top 5 extend mix?
    Have a look at drumbo as an alternative diploid to glenveagh maybe. Have it in two reclaimed paddocks as a monoculture and I'm very happy with it. Have glenveagh as a monoculture on a normal reseed and it hasn't impressed so far. In a mix it probably wouldn't make much of a difference

Looks a solid enough mix. How does it work out ppi wise? Abergain, aberchoice and Aston energy seem to be the most popular combination of grasses out there. Is that the top 5 extend mix?
    Have a look at drumbo as an alternative diploid to glenveagh maybe. Have it in two reclaimed paddocks as a monoculture and I'm very happy with it. Have glenveagh as a monoculture on a normal reseed and it hasn't impressed so far. In a mix it probably wouldn't make much of a difference
    We're you in moorepark today browned?

PPI ave 160. Mix I came up with myself. Had it a bit of a toss up between Drumbo and Glenveagh. Was going it Glenveagh but purely on better ground cover. Maybe id be better with Drumbo ?

We're you in moorepark today browned?

Nope wasn't able to make it. Too busy. We're you at it, if so any good?

Nope wasn't able to make it. Too busy. We're you at it, if so any good?

Very good I thought.
    Biggest thing is need to get the varieties that are going into the dafm trials need to go on farm at same time to get info off them before there approved. No point in only getting them on farm when there approved. Michael will need to be getting more seed thiugh to do this.
    3/400 kgs of one variety not enough needs 1ton min.
    very worthwhile programme and alot of info is going to be got out if it for both farmer and teagasc

• Advertisement

PPI ave 160. Mix I came up with myself. Had it a bit of a toss up between Drumbo and Glenveagh. Was going it Glenveagh but purely on better ground cover. Maybe id be better with Drumbo ?

Hard one to answer as there is little between either grass. If you'd favour ground cover go with your original choice glenveagh.
    management style, local climate, land type and enterprise Would be contributing factors in choosing varieties for me. For example I'd graze fairly tight with dairy cows and wiuldnt take a lot of paddocks out as bales or even top. I've some paddock which haven't been cut in over 8 years. Therefore quality is a trait I'd require from my grass and hriund cover wouldn't matter as highly. On the other hand if I took out more paddocks for silage quality wouldn't be as much of an issue for me due to the after grass effect but maybe ground cover would as silage opens up paddocks more than tight grazing.

Advertisement